ABT Forum

It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:09 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:52 pm 

Finally some good news. There was a good reaction to the protests against this evil-conceived Bill.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... aw-support
Quote:
Senators Marco Rubio (Florida) and Roy Blunt (Missouri), who were initially co-sponsors of the Protect IP Act (PIPA), both issued statements on Facebook yesterday reversing their positions.

"I have a strong interest in stopping online piracy that costs Florida jobs," Rubio said. "However, we must do this while simultaneously promoting an open, dynamic internet environment that is ripe for innovation and promotes new technologies."

"Therefore, I have decided to withdraw my support for the Protect IP Act. Furthermore, I encourage Senator [Harry] Reid to abandon his plan to rush the bill to the floor."

Senator Blunt criticised PIPA as "deeply flawed" and in need of "much work" before it is acceptable. However, Blunt stressed that he still supported the issues raised by the legislation.

"The right to free speech is one of the most basic foundations that makes our nation great, and I strongly oppose sanctioning Americans' right to free speech in any medium - including over the internet," he said.

"I continue to believe that we can come to a solution that will cut off the revenue sources for foreign websites dedicated to counterfeiting and piracy that steal American jobs, hurt the economy, and harm consumers."

Utah senator Orrin Hatch also withdrew his co-sponsorship, calling PIPA "simply not ready for primetime" and confirming that he will vote against the legislation when it passes before the Senate next week.

"Given the legitimate vocal concerns, it is imperative that we take a step back to allow everyone to come together and find a reasonable solution," he said.

Rubio, Blunt and Hatch were among 13 members of the senate who altered their position on SOPA and PIPA yesterday - 11 Republicans and 2 Democrats.

Of course, the despicable Rupert Murdock and his Hollywood henchmen deplored the growing disgust for their Gestapo Bill and partnership with the US Senate aimed at destroying the Internet freedoms all in the BS name of "Stop Online Piracy".

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:28 pm 

They will just re-package and re-name these and slip them into other bills.

It's what they do.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:06 pm 

You are so right

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... -sopa-pipa
Quote:
political figures backing the legislation insist that revised versions will emerge in the near future.

PIPA was originally scheduled to pass before the Senate tomorrow, but Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (Nevada) delayed the vote following widespread protests, crumbling political support, and public dissent from major websites like Google and Wikipedia.

However, Reid later issued a statement in which he claimed there was "no reason" why the perceived issues with the bill could not be resolved, suggesting that a new bill could be drafted in "the coming weeks."

Reed looks like he is Hollywood's guard dog - and on a short leash it appears. That Nevada senator needs to be out of a job.