ABT Forum

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:51 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:50 pm 

Some interesting developments concerning the Cosmic Background Radiation are starting to show up.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/03/ ... ackground/

Most people would know that a NASA satellite named COBE produced a detailed map of the radiation a while back.

What you mightn't know is that prior to COBE the University of Berkeley, in partnership with the Japanese Space Agency launched two probes to do much the same thing (on a much smaller scale). Paul Richards and Andrew Lange were the chief researchers. The reason that there were two probes was because the data the first probe collected didn't match the expected result completely and they wanted to verify their results before COBE launched.

This is what their first probe found:
Note the two dots lying above the main plot. It was thought that these were errors at the time.

This is what COBE found:

Since then we have had another satellite mapping the Cosmic Background Radiation in greater detail (the WMAP Probe ) as well as several ground based telescopes making observations.

This is what they have found (so far, lots more data released later this month):

Just goes to show that the Berkeley University results were not as wrong as everyone thought that they were after all, we just needed more data to make sense of what we were seeing. This is why good science is always built on lots of experimental data.

I'm uploading a video (yes, it's from my beloved The Astronomers series! :P apoppin will just love me! :-h ) that will show Berkeley vs COBE, will post the link when it is complete. Some people may like to mock older theories, but it is amazing how well the content presented in The Astronomers has stood the test of time! :good:

Video link below:
File format: html
.html

Last edited by grstanford on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:33 pm 

Is this related to the temporary Radiation Belt around Earth just discovered?

2-28-2013

New, temporary radiation belt spotted around Earth

You may not have noticed it, but for several weeks last year, the Earth was surrounded by an extra ring of radiation.

There are two doughnut-shaped rings of highly charged particles encircling the planet. Discovered in 1958, they're known as the Van Allen radiation belts.

So it came as a surprise when NASA's recently launched twin satellites to the treacherous region discovered a third, temporary ring. It appeared for a month before a shock wave from the sun destroyed it. Scientists are still trying to figure out how often this happens.

The twin spacecraft launched last year on a mission to explore the Van Allen belts. Solar storms can cause the rings to expand, posing a potential threat to satellites.

The discovery was reported online Thursday in the journal Science.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:07 pm 

Not related. I didn't know anything of this third belt up until now.

The video is up, link at bottom of first post.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:37 pm 

So what does this all mean to us? Is the radiation bad for us? Does it cause cancer?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:42 pm 

The Cosmic Background Radiation is the leftover energy from the Big Bang. It's harmless to us (and highly ironic that this discovery is announced at a time when the world is in between Popes, but then again the Cosmic Background Radiation tells the ultimate creation story -- far better than a two thousand year old book of ridiculous fables).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:46 pm 

grstanford wrote:
The Cosmic Background Radiation is the leftover energy from the Big Bang. It's harmless to us (and highly ironic that this discovery is announced at a time when the world is in between Popes, but then again the Cosmic Background Radiation tells the ultimate creation story -- far better than a two thousand year old book of ridiculous fables).

Since you brought it up, if God is truly almighty and all-powerful, he could have created the universe in 7 days and made it look like it took billions of years.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:53 pm 

Maybe this god you speak of is a bit of a sluggard and one of his "days" is more like a bit more than 2 billion years (the universe is about 15 billion years old).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:56 pm 

grstanford wrote:
Maybe this god you speak of is a bit of a sluggard and one of his "days" is more like a bit more than 2 billion years (the universe is about 15 billion years old).

Yep that would work also.

I just think that too many people ignore religion due to science or vice-versa. It's silly IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:58 pm 

Religion should be ignored even if you don't believe in Science, imo.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:07 pm 

grstanford wrote:
Religion should be ignored even if you don't believe in Science, imo.

There has to be a "creator" or a God. We did not create ourselves. Christianity does the best job of explaining this for me. I think that the spirtual side of life is very important. It's important to your mental and spiritual health, along with your overall well being.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:12 pm 

Who created the creator? Who created the creators creator?........

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:15 pm 

SickBeast wrote:
grstanford wrote:

Since you brought it up, if God is truly almighty and all-powerful, he could have created the universe in 7 days and made it look like it took billions of years.

Yes as a clever ploy to deceive us mortals. (goodpost)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:32 pm 

grstanford wrote:

The creator created himself. he is all powerful.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:37 pm 

SickBeast wrote:
grstanford wrote:

The creator created himself. he is all powerful.

:rolleyes:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:45 pm 

:rolleyes:

don't get me started.