Memory Does Megahertz Really Make A Difference?

Anything else including Laptops, Handhelds, Hard Drives, Memory, Power Supplies, Cooling, Sound, Peripherals discussed here ....
JerTech

Re: Memory Does Megahertz Really Make A Difference?

Postby JerTech » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:43 pm

Nobody here even mentioned timings? Seriously?

As with anything, look for some benchmarks. A little searching will show you what you need to know. It's not a simple answer.

apoppin

Postby apoppin » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:41 pm

timings aren't really that important to performance as they were with DDR2 and SDR

apoppin

Postby apoppin » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:40 pm

They are not the kind of gains that you get from overclocking your CPU or GPU. And if you notice, most of the difference is at lower resolutions and lower details - not the way we play at all if we can help it.

Practically, a stock SB i5 2600K on a stock platform is just about fast enough for any normal graphics card or cards with any game. Tweaking RAM timings are for specific situations if you are in a borderline slow situation .. and then i just usually drop details starting with motion blur and shadows.

grstanford

Postby grstanford » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:44 pm

Memory timings are something I don't play around with. Done wrong they can lead to system instability. I'll pretty much guarantee all the people who complained about nvidia BSOD driver problems back in the GF3 days had one (or more) of three things in common: (1) overclocked system with out of whack bus ratios, (2) tweaked ram settings (3) a garbage motherboard chipset.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC, but Eve fell for the marketing hype. >:)

apoppin

Postby apoppin » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:57 pm

i used to; instability is easy to test for and find.
- it just doesn't make that much difference for the time you invest. It is like keeping a high performance car always finely tuned for super performance - only to drive in city traffic for 99.9 % of your driving imo

And most of the reason for crashes are user error
:)

grstanford

Postby grstanford » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:06 am

And most of the reason for crashes are user error

Oh I totally agree there. the most common errors are 1D10T or PEBKAC errors for sure. The BIOS usually knows how to set memory up properly in concert with the SPD modules on the DIMMs.

Mind you cheap, junky hardware that end up in the hands of those who generate the above errors and gets tweaked way beyond their design/flaw limits certainly don't help.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC, but Eve fell for the marketing hype. >:)

JerTech

Postby JerTech » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:48 am

apoppin wrote:And if you notice, most of the difference is at lower resolutions and lower details - not the way we play at all if we can help it.

As is just about every test that shows RAM settings making any difference at all whatsoever. :P

Return to “General Hardware”