ABT Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:17 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:12 am 

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/tech-news/outsized-megaupload-founder-mega-defiant-in-the-face-of-piracy-arrest/article2309672/

What I don't understand is why he should have to pwny up for actions other people were taking part in. The only times I've used Megaupload were to download ROMs for my smartphone which are 100% legitimate AFAIK.

It looks to me as though they've destroyed this guy's entire life when he's running a legitimate business (albeit a shady one).

I don't know the ins and outs, but I don't think that these file hosting sites are all bad. I'm sure that there are tons of people who use them for 100% legitimate purposes.

The US federal government does some really strange things sometimes. Talk to someone who's tried to ex-patriate and see what they'll tell you. The same goes for all the wars going on around the world. People tell me not to eat mangoes because of all the agent orange dropped over Vietnam and such.

Now, I could be wrong here and the guy could have done something wrong; I don't know. Just looking at it though, I don't see why he should take the fall for what other people did.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:24 am 

Everything that i know about it, i read here

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... rs-from-nz
Quote:
Seventy police raided ten properties, arresting the site's founder and several executives, seizing extensive physical and property assets and $8 million from banking institutions. The group stands accused of making more than $175 million from illegal activities and denying copyright owners more than $500 million in revenues.

A statement issued by the FBI regarding the operation details the charges and potential ramifications for the accused.

"The individuals and two corporations - Megaupload Limited and Vestor Limited - were indicted by a grand jury in the Eastern District of Virginia on Jan. 5, 2012, and charged with engaging in a racketeering conspiracy, conspiring to commit copyright infringement, conspiring to commit money laundering and two substantive counts of criminal copyright infringement.

"The individuals each face a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison on the charge of conspiracy to commit racketeering, five years in prison on the charge of conspiracy to commit copyright infringement, 20 years in prison on the charge of conspiracy to commit money laundering and five years in prison on each of the substantive charges of criminal copyright infringement."

Megaupload had operated by allowing users to upload files, largely music and video, which could then be downloaded by others from a uniquely generated URL. By paying a fee, users could become premium members and increase their download speeds - Megaupload's main source of income.

The site also had considerable revenues from its advertising inventory.

The US likes to make "examples" of people sometimes. It is like hitting a reverse lottery
- and NZ is all too glad to cooperate in the extradition

Hollywood *owns* quite a bit of the US Congress, it appears.
:-q

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:24 am 

SickBeast wrote:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/tech-news/outsized-megaupload-founder-mega-defiant-in-the-face-of-piracy-arrest/article2309672/

I don't know the ins and outs

Now, I could be wrong here and the guy could have done something wrong; I don't know. Just looking at it though, I don't see why he should take the fall for what other people did.

Well it looks like a very prominent lawyer is defending him so time will tell.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:18 pm 

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... on-delayed
Quote:
Anne Toohey, speaking for the prosecution, said that Mr Dotcom's possession of several passports and credit cards under various pseudonyms, as well as widely distributed financial investments, means that he would be likely to attempt to flee the charges if released on bail.

"The FBI believes the sums located are unlikely to represent all the overseas bank accounts owned by Mr Dotcom," added Toohey.

Dotcom's defence lawyers countered that their client had surrendered all of his passport documentation, and that his 6'6" frame made him unlikely to pass incognito through ports or airports.

The judge has delayed the decision on bail until Wednesday at the latest, saying the decision was too complex to make immediately.

"Given the breadth of issues covered in this bail application and the seriousness of the issues, I am going to reserve my decision," said Judge David McNaughton.

Toohey added that two more members of the company had also been arrested in Europe and faced the some charges as the other executives.

The FBI's prosecution and attempted extradition of Mr Dotcom and several other Megaupload executives has caught the attention of some of the entrepreneur's rivals, too.

FileSonic, which had previously offered services similar to those of Megaupload, has limited the downloading of files to those who uploaded them initially - presumably in reaction to the case against Megaupload.