ABT Forum

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:02 pm 

The Kepler should be awesome..

To be forgiven by Jesus, He rose us from the sinful dead with bonding love.

______

Dear GOD, My GOD, I Will Live With YOU In YOUR BONDING LOVE and YOUR Heavenly Faith And Love Forever And Forever, Amen.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:36 pm 

Looks like Apple is ready to jump ship from AMD. They should hire me as a consultant.
http://techreport.com/discussions.x/22044

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:53 am 

Wreckage wrote:
Looks like Apple is ready to jump ship from AMD. They should hire me as a consultant.
http://techreport.com/discussions.x/22044
================================
SemiAccurate says this change of heart has to do with Apple's purported decision to cancel a MacBook Air model featuring AMD's A-series APU. Reportedly, that system was "really close to production" this spring, but Apple balked because of the supply problems plaguing AMD's 32-nm products. The current, Intel-powered MacBook Air was Apple's "plan B," SemiAccurate claims.

The link between those two rumors might seem tenuous, but Apple does have a reputation for being tough with suppliers. Nvidia GPUs were unceremoniously phased out from the Mac family after Nvidia's solder bump problems, which caused chip failures in many pre-built machines, came to light.

It's cyclic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:13 pm 

Wreckage wrote:
SirPauly wrote:
Sure, one can make the claim, and have no problem with your claim, but, for me, which has nothing to do with fans from either side, I try to pay attention to official sku's more-so than a special edition, limited, premium based sku.

For me, both AMD and nVidia share the highest performing card -- both with strengths. However, I was glad to see an AIB offer a GTX-580 dual GPU product with over-clocking in mind.

Well that's just yet another thing I like about NVIDIA over AMDTI. They allow their board makers to provide a broader range of custom products. Like factory overclocking, dual 580's and wtf this is...

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/22003

I like nVidia because of their pro-active nature. For all the whining one hears about nVidia I simply say, "ask AMD to do more -- not for nVidia to do less!"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:21 pm 

SirPauly wrote:
I simply say, "ask AMD to do more -- not for nVidia to do less!"

Very true. nvidia (and intel) walks the walk while AMD just talks the talk.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:26 pm 

i can't disagree there. AMD likes their partners to do the work for them. They see themselves as a facilitator. It's great in theory but proving ineffective over time. Their graphics lead is in Eyefinity while Nvidia leads in S3D, physics and GPU computing. 1 out of 4.

Time to change their strategy, i think. The upper-management needs a bit of fresh air. Their PR hopefully will give less attention to Viral. And they need to have clear roadmaps. Does anyone know if Huddy is still there?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 pm 

SirPauly wrote:
I like nVidia because of their pro-active nature. For all the whining one hears about nVidia I simply say, "ask AMD to do more -- not for nVidia to do less!"

(goodpost) Sounds like a guru.. are you really a guru?

To be forgiven by Jesus, He rose us from the sinful dead with bonding love.

______

Dear GOD, My GOD, I Will Live With YOU In YOUR BONDING LOVE and YOUR Heavenly Faith And Love Forever And Forever, Amen.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:15 am 

apoppin wrote:
i can't disagree there. AMD likes their partners to do the work for them.

Not even the religious folk of this world are quite that dumb. they have a saying "God helps those who help themselves". I just say don't rely on others to help you through life, they won't. Life is what *you* make of it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:37 pm 

BoFox wrote:
SirPauly wrote:

(goodpost) Sounds like a guru.. are you really a guru?

Some allow idealism to be the enemy of good! If ya think about that saying; it fits with many, many whining mind-sets, some filled with contempt, vile and venom.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:19 pm 

So all over the web, sites are reporting that AMD is going to take the veil off their Radeon hd7000 gpu's on Dec. 5th in London. No performance or ultra detailed specs, but announcements, features, etc. Shipping is supposed to start in January. I am guessing that since the event is taking place in London, and all of AMD's hd7000 mobile parts are code-names of U.K. locations, they are introducing and shipping the mobile GPUs first. This would also mean that the hd7900 desktop GPU's are not being introduced on Dec. 5th and will ship sometime AFTER the the parts being introduced next week in London.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:28 pm 

i haven't heard anything about AMD Graphics Press day since last Spring. Neither has my friend, another tech writer for a much bigger site.

It sounds like viral to me
(hamster)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:39 pm 

tviceman wrote:
So all over the web, sites are reporting that AMD is going to take the veil off their Radeon hd7000 gpu's on Dec. 5th in London. No performance or ultra detailed specs, but announcements, features, etc. Shipping is supposed to start in January. I am guessing that since the event is taking place in London, and all of AMD's hd7000 mobile parts are code-names of U.K. locations, they are introducing and shipping the mobile GPUs first. This would also mean that the hd7900 desktop GPU's are not being introduced on Dec. 5th and will ship sometime AFTER the the parts being introduced next week in London.

Starting to sound more like a refresh than a new architecture. A paper launch won't gain them much favor.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:24 pm 

This is the only source
http://www.nordichardware.com/news/71-g ... r-5th.html
Quote:
We have been waiting for the first graphics cards built on 28nm for some time now, and finally it seems we have an interesting date for the AMD's HD 7000 series. The series will be uncovered in London on December 5th, and we need to know about AMD's latest graphics card that has not yet launched will be discussed.

According to sources to NordicHardware the moment we have all been waiting for, is about to come. The first generation graphics cards built on 28nm will be announced during an event in London on December 5th, and it is obvious that AMD will be first again with the latest manufacturing process. It is not real launch event though, but a media event to let the media take part of what is about to come from AMD.

The 28nm GPUs will bring many surprises and have a much larger focus on GPGPU funcationality than before, which probably means that the new GCN architecture will be on center stage. GCN will be the first whole new graphics architecture from AMD since the HD 2000 series and should put AMD's graphics card back in line with NVIDIA's selection seen to GPGPU functionality, if not above them.

Besides we know that all we need to know about the Radeon HD 7000 series will be presented in about a week, on December 5th in London. Then the first official information will be released by AMD.

It sure repeats itself over and over when a single headline covers it all

What event in London? Press Day?
:scratch:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:45 am 

I'm skeptical about this info as well.

I will be shocked if these 28nm GPUs are a "magic bullet" delivering twice the performance of a GTX 580, which some of the rumours can be extrapolated to state. It would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

That said, the GPU market is getting stale and it will be interesting to see what AMD has in store, particularly if they can actually do something useful with GPGPU technology.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next