ABT Forum

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 949 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 64  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:26 pm 

Good. Why is that significant in relation to the picture of the pcb?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:14 pm 

http://75.126.99.220/showpost.php?p=103 ... tcount=437 "45% to 50% performance increase over 580 in canned benchmarks."

ZING!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:39 pm 

apoppin wrote:
grstanford wrote:
Ocre wrote:
Yes the GPU accounts for around 2/3 of their revenue, but GeForce does not. Quadro and Tesla are both also GPU based, in fact GeForce, Quadro and Tesla are all built off the the same GPU base. If Geforce revenue went away, Quadro and Telsla revenue would still be there and might even pick up since they would then have more GPU's with none being diverted to consumer gaming through GeForce.

I dont know where your getting your figures from?

their Graphics division is much more important to their existence than you fantasize. They would be completely effed up without it. It is what pays the bills. It is what pays for the development of all of their other technologies. It is the heart of their existence. You cannot say the same about Quadro or Tesla. They would not/could not exist if it were not for nvidias Geforce line. This is where it all starts. From there nvidia has found clever ways to merge into new markets. But it all pivots on their geforce brand. It has paid for everything nvidia has stretched into

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:40 pm 

apoppin wrote:
i am saying that it is very large for a 28nm midrange chip

And doesn't it support Quad-SLI?

i am saying that if they need 300W for a *midrange* 28nm chip, then they are in trouble
(which should indicate to you that i don't think this is the GK104)

Wait a minute, the picture shows 2x 6-pin connectors, meaning 225W max.

However, it does seem kinda "fake" because of the PCB power connectors - it looks like the stacked-up power connectors were just slapped onto top of the board PCB, disregarding the actual holes). Maybe NV is just providing the flexibility to AIBs with the reference PCB so that they could use different cooling solutions without having to use the stacked connectors (and a 6 + 8-pin possibility for OC'ed editions that would need a bit more than 225W).

Calling it "midrange" would be like calling 7900GTX "midrange" at launch. The 7900GTX was a pretty small and cool-running chip - I know because I've done custom cooling on it with a CPU heatsink - it was tiny enough to perfectly fit the copper fins of that Zalman flower heatsink.

Why do you act surprised that the monster Kepler will be over 500mm^2? GTX 280 was 576mm^2 (and a 55nm 9800GTX+ was released shortly afterwards, while it took Nvidia forever to shrink GT200 down to 55nm).

EDIT: The size of the picture looks like 320 to 340mm^2. One guy said that it's 18x19mm, which is 342mm^2, but others are saying that it looks a bit smaller than that. That's actually smaller than GF114 (360mm^2).

To be forgiven by Jesus, He rose us from the sinful dead with bonding love.

______

Dear GOD, My GOD, I Will Live With YOU In YOUR BONDING LOVE and YOUR Heavenly Faith And Love Forever And Forever, Amen.

Last edited by BoFox on Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:42 pm 

Apoppin, we are all in for a surprise when we find out the gk104 is their flagship for now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:50 pm 

BUT THEN, Apoppin might be right, since it appears that we now have diagrams of BOTH GK104 and GK100/110:

The above one could very well be valid, if the one for GK104 (seen below) is already confirmed with an actual picture of the PCB:

There's no way Nvidia would have let the GK100/110 PCB diagram leak a few months in advance - their security is too high for that, so it's probably like 1-2 months away at the very latest??? Unless it's fake, as somebody could easily edit a Fermi layout, by changing a few things around.... :scratch:

The Great Battle of the Prophets: OCRE vs APOPPIN

The winner will get a surprise prize from me!!! No way I'll let you know what it is going to be...

______

Dear GOD, My GOD, I Will Live With YOU In YOUR BONDING LOVE and YOUR Heavenly Faith And Love Forever And Forever, Amen.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:25 pm 

Let's compare this alleged GK100/110 PCB against GTX 580: [EDIT: It's old GF100 design that didn't match the final design --- APOLOGIES for the confusion]

The Kepler design looks really clean (less messy/complicated)........................ simple for somebody to do an "clean" fake diagram? Nah, I bet it's genuine, as nobody had a diagram of Fermi to edit in the first place..

What doesn't make sense is that the capacitors are now under the area where a normal exhaust-blower fan shroud should be at (a potential conflict)? The caps would have to be really short. Perhaps NV is planning on a new kind of heatsink (but it would still need to be exhaust in order to not overheat the case)?

______

Last edited by BoFox on Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:09 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:44 pm 

grstanford wrote:
Good. Why is that significant in relation to the picture of the pcb?

Hey, he knows! 8 chips.. but then NV could have also done weird stuff with their memory configurations (ala the GTX 550 Ti and GTX 460 v2).

When you said "grow a f**king brain" to that guy, that was a bit too lethal! Hehe...

______

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:49 pm 

You guys make me feel stupid.....Particularly that article about the 6790.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:03 pm 

Ocre wrote:
Apoppin, we are all in for a surprise when we find out the gk104 is their flagship for now.

We?

Speak for yourself
:P

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:41 pm 

March 23 is the launch of the GK104 Kepler according to EXPreview
http://www.expreview.com/18628.html

If you have difficulty reading the Chinese characters:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/On-March ... 6181.shtml
Quote:
According to Expreview, the first products based on the GK104 GPU will be made available on March 23 (2012).

Since the company just a short time ago boldly said nothing will be able to beat Kepler, many people are eagerly anticipating the release.

It is unclear what the first card will be called. Some think GeForce GTX 680, other mention the GeForce GT 670 Ti name.

Whichever it is, we hope it will live up to its hype, even if 28nm chip shortages do affect supply.

At this point, the fabled GK100 has either been scrapped (unlikely) or will be postponed for the second half of 2012, when AMD launches Sea islands.

i'll agree with everything except for the last sentence; it's a date that isn't likely to be a Friday, however. You have also heard my own personal conspiracy theory based on nothing concrete whatsoever (other than a "feeling") that i have been repeating - that i think the GK100 launches first; that it is Nvidia's "style" to go big.

It's a shocking prediction, i know. The last big one i got right was the GTX 580 and before that i detailed the GT200 launch long before it happened at B3D forum. i'll be happy to have only 2/3. A guess is a guess and a prediction is worth nothing until it happens or not.
:)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:03 am 

tviceman wrote:
http://75.126.99.220/showpost.php?p=1038447903&postcount=437 "45% to 50% performance increase over 580 in canned benchmarks."

ZING!

Interesting. Isn't 7970 40% faster than GTX 580? and now it seems GK104 will be minimum 45% faster than GTX 580 ,so while its performance *IS* variable as it can get up to 60% faster, it shouldn't adversely affect GK104 vs AMD's offerings.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:06 am 

BoFox wrote:
apoppin wrote:
i am saying that it is very large for a 28nm midrange chip

And doesn't it support Quad-SLI?

i am saying that if they need 300W for a *midrange* 28nm chip, then they are in trouble
(which should indicate to you that i don't think this is the GK104)

Wait a minute, the picture shows 2x 6-pin connectors, meaning 225W max.

However, it does seem kinda "fake" because of the PCB power connectors - it looks like the stacked-up power connectors were just slapped onto top of the board PCB, disregarding the actual holes). Maybe NV is just providing the flexibility to AIBs with the reference PCB so that they could use different cooling solutions without having to use the stacked connectors (and a 6 + 8-pin possibility for OC'ed editions that would need a bit more than 225W).

Yeah I was wondering how apoppin was coming up with 300W given the dual connector 2 x 6 pin. Some are speculating it has been done that was so AiB's can put an 8 pin connector beside the dual 6 pin connector, for the overclocking market.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:12 am 

apoppin wrote:
Ocre wrote:

We?

Speak for yourself
:P

You are the one who has been insisting GK110/100 will launch first because that's historically what nvidia does and you see no reason for them to change that this time around. I can quote you on that at least 3 times, probably more from memory.

Quote:
It's a shocking prediction, i know. The last big one i got right was the GTX 580 and before that i detailed the GT200 launch long before it happened at B3D forum. i'll be happy to have only 2/3. A guess is a guess and a prediction is worth nothing until it happens or not.
GK110 is for sinking Sea Islands before it ever leaves port IMO.

nvidia will be deadly serious about competing this round. They do not want Tahiti and its descendants gaining any sort of foothold in professional markets (and that's why AMD developed Tahiti and GCN in the first place).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:18 am 

I definitely believe Nvidia will have the faster top tier piece. I won't comment on anything else yet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 949 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 64  Next