ABT Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:25 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:18 pm 

News from Steam
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board. ... did=128916
Quote:
January 6, 2012 - Valve® today announced the 2011 growth data for Steam, a leading platform for PC & Mac games and digital entertainment.

During 2011 the platform grew to offer over 1,800 games to over 40 million accounts. Year-over-year unit sales increased by more than 100% for the seventh straight year, and during the 2011 Holiday Sale Steam's simultaneous user number eclipsed the 5 million player mark.

Meanwhile Steam doubled the amount of content delivered in 2011 vs. 2010, serving over 780 Petabytes of data to gamers around the world. To meet the increasing demand for games and services on the platform, the Steam infrastructure more than doubled its service capacity and a new content delivery architecture was deployed to improve user download rates.

Over 14.5 mil copies of Steamworks games were registered during the year, a 67% increase over 2010. Steamworks titles shipped during 2011 include The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Deus Ex: Human Revolution , and more. Since the suite of services was released three years ago, Steamworks has shipped in over 400 games.

"Steam and Steamworks continues to evolve to keep up with customer and developer demands for new services and content," said Gabe Newell, co-founder and president of Valve. "Support for in-game item trading prompted the exchange of over 19 million items. Support for Free to Play (FTP) games, launched in June, has spurred the launch of 18 FTP titles on Steam, with more coming in 2012. Looking forward, we are preparing for the launch of the Big Picture UI mode, which will allow gamers to experience Steam on large displays and in more rooms of the house."

:good:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:21 am 

I've caved to Steam and I don't think I'll buy another retail game again, unless I find a stellar deal on Ebay.

I was talking with by brother in law lastnight and we were talking about Steam. I was saying how convenient it was and he said..... yea', too convenient! :D
Meaning it's too easy to blow cash!

They have some killer deals every time I log on, but I restrain myself.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:11 am 

i just did the deed and sold one of my gtx 460s for $80. i'm even thinking about selling my other one as well. i don't really play pc games any more. if i have friends over i'll sometimes play the ps3 is all. i find that i'm on my tablet more than anything else. then i might take the cash from the gpus and get a mini atx motherboard with integrated graphics to get me by until i upgrade my entire computer.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:13 am 

If you have a PS3 that is all you really need
-- i have a really up-to-date PC for playing games at 2560x1600 and at 1080p in S3D .. but when i am not playing games, i am using my notebook and my power draw (and needs) is very low.

And i used to also hate Steam - back in my dial-up days, 4 years ago. But then they have really improved their service over the past few years. So i will continue to do business with them and recommend them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:57 pm 

This looks to be a real game changer. pun intended
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... hin-months
Quote:
Gaikai's David Perry has told GamesIndustry.biz that streaming of full games - not just demos - via the cloud gaming service is ready to go live within months.

The immediate priority is to put cloud gaming on Facebook as revealed last week, but following that, users will be able to play entire games across a network of sites that includes YouTube, Best Buy and games publishers such as Electronic Arts and Ubisoft.

"If you give me your game today I can put your game in front of more than 100 million people, easily. Quite honestly if we put you on the homepage of YouTube right now on it's own, you're already hitting that number," said Perry in an interview published today.

With the launch of on the social network imminent, Perry added that full game streaming will go live in "about three months from when Facebook launches, about 90 days from that," adding "I'm not aware of any technical hurdles we have that would stop it."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:24 pm 

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... ays-nvidia
Quote:
A slide given to AnandTech by NVidia shows that the graphics-chip manufacturer expects mobile Graphics Processing Units (GPUs) to surpass the GPU in Microsoft's Xbox 360 by 2014. While home consoles are released and then sit for years in homes, mobile devices are refreshed and updated by hardware vendors every year.

In the slide shown, the dotted lines are trends, while the solid lines are estimated performance. The estimated performance of mobile GPUs will catch the Xbox 360 in 2013, which is shown by the higher step in the light blue line. If trends continue, mobile will even catch PC a few years after 2014.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:57 pm 

Wow, awesome chart! See, Xbox360 actually beat whatever the PC had to offer at the time of the launch. It was phenomenal for a console, costing way less than a $500 video card.

What amazes me even more is the incredibly steep climb of Mobile graphics on the chart. It was only flat between 2009 and 2010, but keep in mind that this is a logarithmic scale from 0.1 to 1 to 10 to 100.. So, from 2010 to 2014, we will probably see a total of 100x increase in mobile graphics power.

To be forgiven by Jesus, He rose us from the sinful dead with bonding love.

______

Dear GOD, My GOD, I Will Live With YOU In YOUR BONDING LOVE and YOUR Heavenly Faith And Love Forever And Forever, Amen.