ABT Forum

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:32 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:21 am 

""
Microsoft plans to bring its Kinect technology to bear on personal computers following its phenomenal success with the gesture and voice-recognition sensor in the Xbox 360 game console.

"I'm thrilled to announce that Kinect is coming to Windows on February 1," Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer said in his final keynote address at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES), which opens in Las Vegas on Tuesday.

"We're already working with over 200 companies on unique Kinect for Windows applications," including American Express, Mattel, Telefonica, Toyota and the United Health Group, he told a packed ballroom at the Venetian hotel on Monday.

"The breadth of what they're doing is mind-blowing," Ballmer said, without providing further details.

Microsoft has shipped more than 18 million Kinects since the Xbox peripheral went on sale just a little over a year ago, Ballmer said.

He said there are currently 66 million Xbox users and more than 40 million subscribers to Xbox Live, which links the game console to the Internet, allowing for real-time game play but also providing access to online content.

Ballmer said the Xbox has evolved into "an entertainment hub for live TV, on demand videos, movies and news, social (networking), music and of course still games."

"Xbox is your all-in-one entertainment device for the living room," he said, adding that a partnership with News Corp. would bring Fox television channels and The Wall Street Journal to the Xbox this year.

Microsoft's plan to integrate the Kinect's voice and gesture recognition capabilities into PCs using the Windows operating system was the highlight of Ballmer's last appearance on stage at the CES.

Ballmer or his predecessor, Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, have delivered keynote speeches at CES for the past 15 years, but Microsoft announced last month that this year's gadget extravaganza will be its last.

Microsoft said it will no longer have a booth at the show or deliver a keynote because the January timing of the event does not coincide with its product development calendar.

Ballmer also used his final address to provide a preview of Windows-powered smartphones from Microsoft's new partner, Finland's Nokia, and of Windows 8, the next generation of its personal computer operating system.

Apple, BlackBerry-maker Research In Motion and handsets powered by Google's Android software dominate the smartphone market, but Ballmer said he believed that "with Windows Phone, we're clearly on the right track."

Ballmer said Windows 8 "will deliver the best of the PC and the best of the tablet."

Windows chief marketing officer Tami Reller said Windows 8, a test version of which will be available next month, is "designed to work with touch and with a mouse and keyboard."

Ballmer said that PC owners whose machines are running Windows 7 will be able to immediately upgrade to Windows 8 when it becomes available.

"Every Windows 7 PC will be ready for Windows 8 on day one," he said.
""
http://news.yahoo.com/microsoft-bring-k ... 57103.html

The Kinect for Windows is available for preorder now from Amazon, at $250.

What do you guys think?!?

I can't wait for Kinect 2.0 that should be much more accurate with the details (finger movements and stuff), and hopefully more responsive (less lag)!

To be forgiven by Jesus, He rose us from the sinful dead with bonding love.

______

Dear GOD, My GOD, I Will Live With YOU In YOUR BONDING LOVE and YOUR Heavenly Faith And Love Forever And Forever, Amen.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:25 pm 

If anyone actually buys this for PC, at 250$, I weep for humanity.

I despise motion based controls, hate hate hate it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:29 am 

Have you tried motion and VR controls?

i think i could easily add voice commands to my KB+mouse experience and i have already tried it with a few games that support it; unnecessary now, but i could get used to it.

i tried some other motion controls at Razer's booth last year at CES. You would need support from the game devs to make it a good alternative to what we have now and for some games, it would be cool.

For $250, i won't be an early adopter; it sounds like it should be a lot cheaper - unless i can get one for evaluation
:hello:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:43 am 

apoppin wrote:
For $250, i won't be an early adopter; it sounds like it should be a lot cheaper - unless i can get one for evaluation

Funny, I feel the same way about 3DVision!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:38 am 

i would have adopted S3D whether i had to buy it or not; i probably would also not have got a 27" as i personally don't deserve the best and would be glad to 'settle' for 23". The first thing about 3D is realizing the advantages of 2D on a 120Hz display. After that, it is a cheap investment for Nvidia's 3D glasses ($80) to experience nearly your entire library of PC games again in a new way.

Kinect is brand new for PC, and not that many titles are supported in a meaningful way and it is unique - which means there is no competition to alter its pricing. i would tend to check it out on the XBox360 first at a friends to see if i wanted it for PC. Then i would probably wait for Kinect 2 which will work out the many bugs that i hear about with Kinect 1 and bring more games into the mix.

OtOH, 3D Vision is mature and less expensive assuming you have a 120Hz display. However, i wouldn't mind evaluating Kinect for ABT readers but i would have to contact MS first and by then the Kinect 2 would be out.

Anyone interested??? i can contact MS. They will either say (1)yes or (2)no - or ignore my request(3)

:hello:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:47 pm 

That's good news and very welcomed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:27 pm 

Are you going to be an early adopter? i'd love a user review at ABT or just the experiences on the forum
:)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:09 pm 

It depends.. if there are going to be AAA games supporting Kinect on the PC, then I'd be interested.. but at $250, nah. I heard that Kinect for the PC will have some enhancements over the Xbox360 version, but it still doesn't justify a $100 price premium, at a ridiculous $250 tag.

Gotta go.. my family's waiting on me to take them to the Smithsonian museums today - hopefully it won't be crowded there during the least tourist-y time of the year (MLK Jr. holiday).

To be forgiven by Jesus, He rose us from the sinful dead with bonding love.

______

Dear GOD, My GOD, I Will Live With YOU In YOUR BONDING LOVE and YOUR Heavenly Faith And Love Forever And Forever, Amen.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:22 pm 

I'd rather microsoft fix games for windows live to not be a complete annoyance to use, rather than mess with kinect for PCs :( I think MS has done more to harm PC gaming than help with their stupid GFWL software, they should just let
all PC games be on the steam platform -- because steam is non intrusive and doesn't force involuntary reboots/game restarts. Not to mention GFWL crashes all the time for some stupid reason, which of course
prevents you from saving games.

I really hate Games for windows live.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:48 pm 

GFWL SW is annoying if you only use it occasionally. If you play many GFWL games, then it is not so bad since everything is updated. It is not worse than Origin; just a lot of DRM to navigate.

What i like about Kinect is that we may see competition for MS from some other company that may either perfect it or force MS to.
:)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:20 pm 

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/t ... on-control
interesting discussion on the future of motion control .. quoted in small part
Quote:
Were it not for the Wii, doubtless there would be no Kinect, and almost certainly no PlayStation Move, but the problem with these products is that they are add-ons to existing consoles that were never designed with motion control in mind, and the range of games that support each of them is limited. Obviously, in contrast, the vast majority of Wii titles (the likes of Wii Fit excepted) are built with the motion controller in mind.

Sony has faced the bigger problem here, despite having arguably the premier product in the field and the most talented internal R&D team who were literally years ahead of their time. To my mind, PlayStation Move is the most flexible, versatile and potentially exciting motion controller of the lot. It does everything the Wiimote is capable of and a whole lot more, and its level of precision is unrivalled. The genius of its design is all down to the SCEA group led by Sony's Doctor Richard Marks - who was experimenting with motion control over a decade ago, and actually exhibited a wand-style controller for PlayStation 2 at ECTS way back in 2001. Marks was even demonstrating Kinect-style cameras in 2004 during a presentation for Stanford University students, over a year before the Xbox 360 even launched.

Unfortunately, as good as Move is, it doesn't define the PlayStation experience in the way that the Wiimote did for Nintendo: its many qualities are never the primary focus for games developers, and while there have been some great implementations in first party titles, Sony never deployed its best development teams on Move-centric products. The approach is somewhat at odds with Microsoft's Kinect launch, consisting of almost exclusive titles and the positioning of Kinect as a new platform.

and
Quote:
The second issue is one of precision. In the past couple of years, various claims have been made with regards the detail the Kinect cameras are able to resolve, in particular when it comes to the hands and fingers. Kinect titles have concentrated mostly on major body movement, and precise movements with the hands and fingers have not been possible to track effectively - hence the overly strange Ghost Recon performance we saw at the Microsoft E3 presser last year. By the time the next-gen comes around, upgrading to higher precision cameras, perhaps even with a 60Hz refresh, should be possible.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:47 pm 

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... pean-daily
Quote:
Microsoft has opened pre-orders for a new version of the Kinect sensor for Windows, ahead of its launch on July 15.

Kinect for Windows v2 is priced at $199/£159, and will feature the same broadly improved capabilities as the Kinect that shipped with the Xbox One. Microsoft's target market is app developers, so the device will not ship with any software, and a separate license is required for the SDK 2.0. Developers will be able to build apps in C++, C#, or Visual Studio Basic.

You would be forgiven a nonchalant shrug of the shoulders at the release of a new Kinect device, particularly if your main interest is gaming. In May, Microsoft backtracked on its initial strategy to make the Kinect a compulsory feature of the Xbox One, a move that was widely interpreted as the beginning of the end for the device.

But the truth is that while game developers have struggled to make compelling games for both versions of the Kinect, the first version of the device was put to fascinating use in a variety of fields - from interactive art installations to surgeon training to interpreting sign language.

Whatever its future as a device for gaming, the new version of Kinect is a vast improvement over its predecessor in almost every respect. That opens up a wide spectrum of possibilities for Windows developers, not least those interested in creating experiences for nascent VR platforms like the Oculus Rift.