ABT Forum

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:24 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:38 pm 

Picao84 wrote:
BoFox wrote:
But Valve may not stop with this Steam Box concept. It may intend Steam to be an open platform that would be the gaming equivalent on Android.

Ok.. Today must be my "voodoo" day or something like that.
First I thought about the CUDA Hyper-threading thing... And now this. Im actually writing a fake article to apply for a writer on Bit-Tech site (I hope im not going against any rule here by citing another website. If I am I apologize and feel free to erase this post), which is about a "company" (i wont disclose which for obvious reasons) releasing, in 2014, a handheld gaming console as an Android-like open platform. I know, i know, there are already a "grassroots" initiative like that, but my article's "company" is actually a big one who could push that, and is already pushing it in some way.

Back on topic, it makes a lot of sense. However, somehow I cant see Valve having enough mindset/prestige to push it sucessfully. AMD, like BoFox said, would probably be more suitable.

Pssst... what's the company's name? I'll keep my lips sealed! ;) If you do become a writer on Bit-Tech, hope you do well! And you could always write articles for ABT (even as a guest contributor)! I did it once, ( http://alienbabeltech.com/main/?p=24305 ).. it was fun and easy to do with Apoppin editing it! I was about to do an article on 2x Seagate Cheetah 15000 RPM 600GB SAS drives in RAID, but after lots and lots of benchmark testing (I actually did a complete testing suite with tons of different programs, for a very comprehensive review), I finally realized that the "strange' performance ceiling was due to my motherboard only being able to support SAS 1.0 rather than 2.0. It was a lot of effort, and a good try anyways.

Ocre wrote:
AMD??? I always thought M$ was failing to see the big picture. That they couldve changed the world but they thought like old dinosaurs. The big picture.....

this is where the original Xbox concept should have gone. M$ should have focused on a slim gaming OS and worked with others for the hardware. They couldve only licensed the special OS to approved manufacturers. Every OS and every game sold would pay M$. They wouldve made tons on the licensing fees and when the hardware failed they wouldnt have been accountable. M$ is short on vision.

What valve is doing is the best you can get for gaming. It is the best merger of technologies. It attacks what each platform is lacking. It is brilliant and is straight up a great path for gaming into the future.

The big time consoles will kick and scream over this. They would do whatever they can to keep games from porting PC for as long as possible. But there is still tons of cash in the pc business.

Apoppin, i think valve could have a slight upper hand and with the next consoles coming out-not a draw back. The PC library is massive and the enhanced graphics and features are gonna be attractive to the old console owners. When the new xbox hits the shelves it would be expensive with very limited titles. Valve would have a large selection of enhanced games with ultra simplicity as a selling point. The promises of an upgrade path instead of a whole new system in a few years is appealing. If marketed proper it could really be effective. An ecosystem topped with an already massive and enhanced library easily adds up to valve having a compelling product. If nothing else, this could significantly raise the PC gaming population and embed pros of PC gaming far into the minds of the population. It very well could be the start of a new era in gaming. Did the future of gaming just get a little more exciting? I bet millions of pc gamers have dreamed about PC type upgradable consoles. I have....

AMD?? Yes, AMD!!! But I guess it's out of the question for AMD, since they are making GPUs for all 3 major consoles, and probably a CPU for PS4 too! So I guess AMD is just happy to make stuff for these consoles and not piss these companies off by competing against them.

Steam Box still sounds a bit retarded, though. Valve Steam Box. (flng)

To be forgiven by Jesus, He rose us from the sinful dead with bonding love.

______

Dear GOD, My GOD, I Will Live With YOU In YOUR BONDING LOVE and YOUR Heavenly Faith And Love Forever And Forever, Amen.

Last edited by BoFox on Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:48 am 

The steam machine sounds better.

There was talk of a steam client for Linux some time ago. That would alleviate the licensing fees but would probably break compatibility.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm 

Valve *Dismisses* the rumor
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... ox-rumours
Quote:
However, Lombardi claims that the hardware in question was built to test Steam's Big Picture mode, a new interface that will enable people to use Steam on television sets and other displays.

"All of that is stuff that we're working on, but it's a long way from Valve shipping any sort of hardware," he said.

"The idea is that you can take Steam to any display. What we're trying to do is say, 'here's a box that we're going to use for testing that's common for Big Picture mode and get performance at a base level.'"

"We're always putting boxes together. Going all the way back to the Half-Life days, we built special boxes to test our software render... it's just part of development."

However, while the recent Steam Box rumour may be nothing more than smoke and mirrors, when Kotaku suggested that Valve was not ruling out its presence in the hardware market in the long-term, Lombardi agreed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:45 pm 

Valve *is* developing HW

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... evelopment

Not much to go by

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:47 am 

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... -computing
Quote:
A recent blog post by Valve developer Michael Abrash has revealed why Valve is hiring hardware engineers: wearable computing. The project is reaching much farther than the rumors of the SteamBox home console. Inspired by Neal Stephenson's novel Snow Crash, Abrash has taken it upon himself to try to shrink computers down to a point where you can have one on you at all times.

"The logical endpoint is computing everywhere, all the time - that is, wearable computing - and I have no doubt that 20 years from now that will be standard, probably through glasses or contacts, but for all I know through some kind of more direct neural connection. And I'm pretty confident that platform shift will happen a lot sooner than 20 years - almost certainly within 10, but quite likely as little as 3-5, because the key areas - input, processing/power/size, and output - that need to evolve to enable wearable computing are shaping up nicely, although there's a lot still to be figured out," Abrash wrote.

He also makes it clear that Valve's secret project is still in the early R&D phases, with nothing concrete to show to the public at this time.

"To be clear, this is R&D - it doesn't in any way involve a product at this point, and won't for a long while, if ever - so please, no rumors about Steam glasses being announced at E3. It's an initial investigation into a very interesting and promising space, and falls more under the heading of research than development. The Valve approach is to do experiments and see what we learn - failure is fine, just so long as we can identify failure quickly, learn from it, and move on - and then apply it to the next experiment. The process is very fast-moving and iterative, and we're just at the start. How far and where the investigation goes depends on what we learn,"Abrash explained.

Could this be why Apple CEO Tim Cook visited Valve today?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:17 pm 

Better than a console!! My own vision is coming true
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/d ... ng-concept
Quote:
Valve is working on a gaming platform, but it's no me-too console or re-factored PC. Abrash's team is working on wearable computing - the notion of computer imagery being overlaid on reality, or as he prefers to describe it, "Terminator Vision".

"The underlying trend as we've gone from desktops through laptops and notebooks to tablets is one of having computing available in more places, more of the time," he continues. "The logical endpoint is computing everywhere, all the time."

Abrash believes that within two decades this will be "standard", with images supplied via glasses, contact lenses and if that wasn't scary enough, eventually through a direct Borg-style neural interface. In terms of the fundamentals required - input, output, processing, form factor - Abrash reckons that the necessary component hardware is progressing quite nicely, with a viable platform achievable within three to five years.

This is thanks in no small part to the meteoric rise in the capabilities of mobile technology, propelled by the emergence of the smartphone as a mainstream gaming platform. As discussed in last week's Digital Foundry column on the evolution of iOS hardware, by next year mobile graphics tech should have surpassed the capabilities of current generation HD platforms. Speaking with us last year, PowerVR makers IMG told us to expect GPU power to increase by a factor of 100 within five years - so rendering power shouldn't be a problem, especially if it is augmenting a scene rather than generating all of it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:51 pm 

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/05/valv ... beta-2013/
Quote:
Gabe Newell niw says that those prototypes will start arriving in the next three to four months time. Moreover, beyond just the controllers we suspected to be part of the beta program, Newell tells the BBC that said prototypes will be of the Steambox, Valve's living room-friendly PC gaming initiative. "We're working with partners trying to nail down how fast we can make it," Newell said.

He cited noise and heat concerns as the holdup for retail availability of various Steamboxes -- both Valve itself and a variety of third-party companies are working on the initiative, including Xi3 and unnamed others. He also speculated about what control device might be included in various Steambox setups (the systems are said to range in power and price, from low to very high). He did posit that some form of biological monitoring would be built into a potential Valve game controller (biometrics). "You need to actually be able to directly measure how aroused the player is -- what their heart rate is, things like that -- in order to offer them a new experience each time they play," Newell said. He also cited the controller as a current roadblock in making the Steambox available. "The main thing that's holding us up right now is nailing ... we have a couple of different controller prototypes that we're using, and that's one of the things that we're giving to customers," he added. Valve is apparently planning on including a handful of controllers with Steambox prototypes in its upcoming beta, so that users can give feedback for each and Valve can break down how players are using them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:17 pm 

lol 100 times more powerful GPU's than Titan, or than some crap chip?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:15 pm 

I'm happy to hear that they are having issues with heat. Hopefully that means it has powerful hardware inside.

I'm thinking they've got to have an nVidia GPU in there. There's no way AMD can clean sweep all the consoles this round; it's crazy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:24 pm 

What difference does it make (other than to AMD's possible long term survival)?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:51 pm 

apoppin wrote:
What difference does it make (other than to AMD's possible long term survival)?

Arguably nVidia's Kepler design is better for a console as it offers better performance-per-watt, it runs cooler, and it does more with less transistors compared to Tahiti. If I were designing a high end console I would go with nVidia this round, hands down. That said, I think what happened was that nVidia gave themselves a bad reputation with the GPUs in the original Xbox and the PS3. I've read in several places that MS and Sony were not happy with the way they did things. They felt ripped off somehow; I don't remember the full details.

It will be interesting to see what Valve puts in the steam box for sure. I might buy one if it turns out well, particularly if it can play regular non-Steam Windows games.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:52 pm 

They need to mill some blocked and do a H50 type completely water cooled closed system.

Air is for noobs! (cough)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:53 pm 

Low margin, how volume is not what nvidia wants... SB you should know better, that's the table scrap market.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:53 pm 

BallaTheFeared wrote:
They need to mill some blocked and do a H50 type completely water cooled closed system.

Air is for noobs! (cough)

I was thinking the same thing, that water cooling would be excellent for a console, but I don't think they will do it. I think there are too many issues with maintenance and potential leaks. I'm not sure how much space it would save, either, once you factor in the radiator.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:54 pm 

BallaTheFeared wrote:
Low margin, how volume is not what nvidia wants... SB you should know better, that's the table scrap market.

They've done console GPUs before. I think that AMD is simply undercutting them right now.