ABT Forum

It is currently Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:23 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:02 am 

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/home ... 1jp0u.html
Quote:
3D TV falls flat as broadcasters tune out

Sony has been one of the main backers of new age 3D technology but its Australian managing director concedes 3D has failed to live up to expectations, was rushed to market and has lost the support of broadcasters.

But the hype hasn't matched reality. Few studios have invested to create the spectacular 3D experiences seen with films such as Avatar and most of the titles available to consumers to watch in the home are animation films or titles that are inferior pseudo-3D – shot in 2D but converted to 3D in post production.

"3D hasn't been the trigger for consumers to purchase [new TVs]," Sony Australia managing director Carl Rose said

Rose said that judging the success of 3D by TV sales figures was "misleading" because most premium brand sets sized 42-inch and above supported 3D by default. Sales of 3D-enabled sets are rising but this is not necessarily driven by demand for 3D.

Rose would not be drawn on whether the blame lay with the TV manufacturers – which were seen to have over-hyped the promise of 3D – or studios, which failed to create enough compelling 3D content.

And a poll accompanying the article

:lol:

"At NVIDIA we know that all shredders are green." --Jensen Huang
Adam knew he should have bought a PC, but Eve fell for the marketing hype. >:)
Having a lot of people buy your product doesn't do you much good if they subsequently decide they don't like it. There's a reason snake oil salesmen moved from town to town every few days. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:58 pm 

Slow down, give it a little time.

The U.S. is still getting over the shock of HD migration.

Theaters just added D-Box to some seats in the last month.

It will get there but can't rush it.

Americans don't have the money like they used to.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:00 pm 

You mean 3D TV falls flat in Australia
:tease:
http://www.cio.com/article/688913/Panas ... _Camcorder
Quote:
Panasonic executives shook hands on a deal to broadcast the 2012 Olympics live in 3D, and unveiled the company's HDC-Z10000 3D video camera with image stabilization in a news conference ahead of the Internationale Funkausstellung (IFA) trade show in Berlin on Wednesday.

The company also unveiled additions to its Micro Four-Thirds camera range and upgrades to its Viera range of smart TVs, including a new on-screen store through which TV viewers can purchase content, games and even hardware.

http://www.twice.com/article/473045-Dis ... p_124_.php
Quote:
Shipments of 3D-capable large-area TFT LCD panels rose 124 percent to 5.2 million units quarter to quarter during the second quarter of 2011, according to a period display report from DisplaySearch.

The majority of 3D panels shipped in the panel were LCD TVs, which reached 4.9 million units in the quarter, reflecting 118 percent quarter over quarter growth, and pushing the 3D penetration in LCD TV panels from 4.5 percent in the first quarter to 9.3 percent in the second quarter of 2011, the study showed. . . .
. . . "3D is not only for high-end products; we are starting to see panel makers develop cost-effective 3D, such as 60Hz refresh rate with signal simulation or lower frequency with blinking backlight units, which are targeted at affordability and will be critical in encouraging 3D adoption."

DisplaySearch said that in addition to TVs, 3D monitor panel shipments are growing rapidly, from less than 80,000 units in the first quarter of 2011 to more than 250,000 in the second quarter. The activity was attributed to growing adoption of gaming and other special application monitors.

i am writing an article on 3D. i have the very latest info. You want MoRE?
:taunt:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:20 pm 

Australians are obviously more sensible about their TV purchasing decisions (among other things) than Americans are. :tease:

Most consumers here also have not long upgraded to flat panel HD screens and are in no particular hurry to replace them for a few years yet, especially not for a gimmick like 3D in its current forms.

I notice you posted a lot of sales data in support of your arguments apoppin. I'll draw your attention again to part of the article I quoted in the first post.

Quote:
Rose said that judging the success of 3D by TV sales figures was "misleading" because most premium brand sets sized 42-inch and above supported 3D by default. Sales of 3D-enabled sets are rising but this is not necessarily driven by demand for 3D.

Note also the poll results. The most popular option was "colossal waste of money" followed by "just another way for electronics companies to sell us more stuff". We Aussies aren't easily conned.

I'd also point out the price reductions Nintendo has done on their new 3D capable hand-held. Sales don't appear to be going as well as Nintendo might have hoped -- a risk you take when your main new feature is a gimmick.

Having a lot of people buy your product doesn't do you much good if they subsequently decide they don't like it. There's a reason snake oil salesmen moved from town to town every few days. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:30 pm 

Also note that in a country of only around 30 million people (Australia), TV Broadcasters, who mostly operate on free to air, not cable are not going to waste precious revenue and profits on something nobody is using.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:42 pm 

Analyze for a change instead of relying on your prejudices. i have been following the progress of S3D closely for 3 years. And i was one of the VERY FEW at CES in 2010 that bucked the trend and i said that 3D TV adoption would be MUCH SLOWER than everyone else was saying:
http://alienbabeltech.com/main/ces-2010 ... ture/all/1
i get to quote myself; i said in part:
Quote:
I have seen the future and it is 3D. However, I am not as optimistic about television transitioning as fast as for PC and console gaming. With games, there is a bit of depth already programmed in and it generally works well with 3D as long as you can adjust it. However, with converting 2D to 3D there are some issues with action that have to be worked out, in contrast to viewing still photos. Of course, to watch 3D TV requires that you purchase a new set that won’t be economical for quite awhile. It also requires a constant stream of quality 3D programming which appears will start with sports. And one must consider what the premium cost will be for 3D content from your provider.

So now look what has happened in only 1-1/2 years since then.
3D tech is here. The high end TVs will ALL soon have 3D included. So the TVs will be in place.

Sports is being broadcast in 3D. The Olympic games will be a huge draw to it. People have the option with their new TVs
:hello:

As to issues with Nintendo's handheld, there is no good S3D content for it. Wait until they port Mario over to it
:tease: i can't see using an Island with a tiny population as good predictor of anything

And smartphones and tablets will be ultimately the biggest market for S3D as it is inherently glasses-free and S3D apps are relatively easy to develop for. Wait for my 3D Vision article. It is finally taking shape. This weekend, or at least Part 1 on Monday.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:15 pm 

I don't understand the need to compare Australians to Americans. The key with 3d stereo is eventually the costs will not be a premium for it and will eventually become a default feature for flexibility for a potential end-user to enjoy 3d stereo content -- not replace traditional methods totally.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:08 pm 

SirPauly wrote:
I don't understand the need to compare Australians to Americans. The key with 3d stereo is eventually the costs will not be a premium for it and will eventually become a default feature for flexibility for a potential end-user to enjoy 3d stereo content -- not replace traditional methods totally.

i do. Our resident Aussie already told us that conditions are world's apart - they don't have much cable compared to the rest of the world. That blows out 3D right there. It will have to become mainstream in the rest of the world - with much content - before Australians will adopt it.

Mine is not a putdown of Australia (i admire much about the people and their country). The conditions for acceptance of 3D is very different Down Under and i understand now where our friend is coming from.

Agreed. Eventually (2-3 years) ALL TVs will be "3D ready"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:28 pm 

http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewtopi ... =14&t=1643

Just some new information on nVidia LightBoost Technology and what seems like new glasses called Marathon?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:23 pm 

SirPauly wrote:
http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1643

Just some new information on nVidia LightBoost Technology and what seems like new glasses called Marathon?

There doesn't look to be any new information whatsoever

However, if you want my best guess - the weakness of 3D Vision's active shutter method is darkness
- clearly this would be some way to make it brighter

i have been expecting this for a LONG time
(measured in "3D years" - approximately equal to a "dog year")

And i got well over 10,000 words on paper and i am STILL writing the 3D Vision evaluation; this is for like 3 weeks and i spent about 6-8 hours each on Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon writing . . . every time something nears completion, i re-read it and *add* something.
- never again, a 6-month evaluation
:blush:
(until the next time :P )

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:22 pm 

http://www.totaltele.com/view.aspx?ID=467435
Quote:
South Korea's LG Electronics Inc. on Sunday said it aims to be the global market leader for 3D television sets by 2012.

LG, the world's second-largest flat-screen TV maker by shipments, said around 70% of its new TVs will be equipped with 3D features by next year.

Soon ALL HDTVs will be equipped with 3D features. S3D "wins" by default. HW sales forces content in this case. People will want to see what their sets are capable of.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:47 pm 

apoppin wrote:
SirPauly wrote:
http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1643

There doesn't look to be any new information whatsoever

However, if you want my best guess - the weakness of 3D Vision's active shutter method is darkness
- clearly this would be some way to make it brighter

i have been expecting this for a LONG time
(measured in "3D years" - approximately equal to a "dog year")

And i got well over 10,000 words on paper and i am STILL writing the 3D Vision evaluation; this is for like 3 weeks and i spent about 6-8 hours each on Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon writing . . . every time something nears completion, i re-read it and *add* something.
- never again, a 6-month evaluation
:blush:
(until the next time :P )

What is nVidia's lightboost technology and what exactly does it curtail?

What is this Marathon that suppose to launch in September of 2011?

When one looks at the 3d vision glasses compared to Marathon -- they differ.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:48 pm 

Clearly it boosts the amount of light reaching the eyes - hence the name >>> Light*boost*
- it's logical, Captain

. . . and it would be compatible with 3D vision unless i am reading something wrong

Of course, they differ .. otherwise it would be the same

It's a new model; it should look sexy for what they will probably be asking for them . . . Nvidia needs to hire some babes to model them, btw
:)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:56 pm 

One of the limitations of 3d vision was the dimming, while it may of not bothered some, it did bother others. What would be interesting if one can offer more light without washing out the image and in-turn may help reduce crosstalk as well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:30 am 

apoppin wrote:
SirPauly wrote:

i do. Our resident Aussie already told us that conditions are world's apart - they don't have much cable compared to the rest of the world. That blows out 3D right there. It will have to become mainstream in the rest of the world - with much content - before Australians will adopt it.

Mine is not a putdown of Australia (i admire much about the people and their country). The conditions for acceptance of 3D is very different Down Under and i understand now where our friend is coming from.

Agreed. Eventually (2-3 years) ALL TVs will be "3D ready"

No, we don't have much cable, though Melbourne and Sydney have some, but not many use it. We do most of our TV watching over the air. The NBN which is currently being deployed will fix our "cable problems" as well as our internet and telecommunications problems.