ABT Forum

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:01 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:45 pm 

Quote:
That's the best part about posting over there. It's just a shame the have the power to get people banned for daring to stand up to them.

Not for me; it is not good for me to post as a tech site editor over at another forum. That phase of my life is over. When ABT gets really popular, they will come over here. But the situation will be very different then. As to banning, i wasn't banned - i logged out and scrambled my PW. The email account associated with it is closed, i think. So i will never post at Anandtech forum again.

Quote:
It is also the truth that the 7970 has been capped to a low 925mhz because of the high power draw in the majority of chips. Most of the review samples have very great power vs performance ratio's. In their test it looks like the 7970 will use little power. But there is more to it.

Basically the 7970 is gimped. But its hard to say anything like that without ppl getting high emotions. I mean its actually more exciting to me knowing that they will be able to improve on it...err, they should be able to in rather short order

That is basically what i said in my preview. Yields are poor and they need to get it to market as it is - they cannot afford to wait for a respin (which they have been working on and are working on now). Whether parts were actually disabled like the GTX 480, is pure speculation.

Quote:
Nvidia had a hell of a time getting fermi out. AMD has done something very impressive. GCN is no small feat. AMD has really stepped up, and they already have parts ready to sell. This is a huge architectural change with a near perfect execution.

Not true. AMD is almost TWO YEARS LATER than Nvidia in giving us the answer to Fermi and GPU computing
- Don't you think they might have had a little extra time to work on it? And it is still not impressive as it should be for a generational change on a full node lower. As Ryan said, performance wise it is "acceptable". Not stellar.
:tease:

Quote:
ABT may have been passed simply because they didnt have the quantities of these gems to make it possible. This and the fact that your review wouldve been way more telling. They felt they had to release this card, and it is all a PR stunt. They want this in the best light as possible. They dropped it in a real fast hurry. Whats the hurry?

Your being left out is most likely because of the rush, quantity, and PR. Your not on as bad terms as ppl may think.

All true. My review would have shown some DX9 games where the HD 7970 does not look quite so impressive. AMD could not afford that.

However, AMD Graphics will not talk to me any longer. And i now realize that i provoked them by posting at ATF.
:blush:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:30 am 

I've been thinking it's like around 21-22% faster than GTX 580 overall, but it's very hard to tell with the hand-picked review sites (and their limited games also). Techreport and Xbitlabs apparently did not get the 7970 either (at least until the official availability date). The 7970 seems to suck at 8x AA (not being so impressive after looking at 4x AA benchies) probably due to only 32 ROPs.. let's see if more benches confirm this. It still loses out in HAWX2 badly compared to GTX 580, despite the claimed "massive" tessellation improvements.

The slideshows try to make it look so technically advanced when I think it's a bit lackluster. It's a bit like as if HD 5850 came out against GTX 285, without there being any HD 5870 at all.

Do you guys think there will be 10+% overall performance gains from future driver revisions, since the GCN architecture is a new one right out of the door?

To be forgiven by Jesus, He rose us from the sinful dead with bonding love.

______

Dear GOD, My GOD, I Will Live With YOU In YOUR BONDING LOVE and YOUR Heavenly Faith And Love Forever And Forever, Amen.

Last edited by BoFox on Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:31 am 

Perhaps we could help Apoppin get his 7970 so he could do benchies on it? I'm thinking of something.... hmmm!! :D

It'd have to be secret anyways, lalalala....

To be forgiven by Jesus, He rose us from the sinful dead with bonding love.

______

Dear GOD, My GOD, I Will Live With YOU In YOUR BONDING LOVE and YOUR Heavenly Faith And Love Forever And Forever, Amen.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:29 pm 

I just think it's silly for AMD to cut him off like that. He's writing some of the best and most thorough GPU reviews on the internet.

I think that the real issue with this site is that there are not enough contributing editors. apoppin is doing a ton of great stuff, but with one or two more people posting articles, I think this place would draw more readers.

The low availability of the 7970 probably did play a factor in ABT not getting one. apoppin, I don't know what you could have possibly said to piss off AMD that much. I don't remember you saying anything too inflamatory, aside from making some comments about their viral marketing efforts and complaining about the lack of warranty support with the bios switch on a certain card.

I don't like how these companies basically force the review sites to paint their products in a good light by cutting them off if they write a bad review or something that they don't like.

Give it some time and hopefully AMD will come around. Didn't they recently fire most of their marketing people? Once things settle down you'll probably be able to make some new contacts.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:46 pm 

"Not true. AMD is almost TWO YEARS LATER than Nvidia in giving us the answer to Fermi and GPU computing

You mean overall performance comparison and design for the whole Fermi line? Or 580 vs 7970?

It still loses out in HAWX2 badly compared to GTX 580, despite the claimed "massive" tessellation improvements.

I think HAWX just hates AMD products.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:50 pm 

i am agreed with you. i am holding down the ABT fort while Leon and MrK sort out their lives and schedules. The should be back to contributing regularly next year.

As to what i said to P.O. AMD PR - i have been debating the very people over at AnandTech Video that work for AMD - either with regular PR jobs or their very active viral shills - the guys who get HW from AMD and are "paid" to smear Nvidia and "sell" AMD.

Although that was unwise on my part, i know much more about them; maybe AMD fired the wrong guys. They still are dedicated to viral marketing to the tech sites.

Quote:
You mean overall performance comparison and design for the whole Fermi line? Or 580 vs 7970?

Nvidia started GPU computing with G80 and refined it with the 400 series. AMD is right now where Nvidia was with the GTX 480 launch with GPU computing. That is two years behind Nvidia.

And what they produced - HD 7970 - is crippled. Whether parts are disabled or not, it's performance is very disappointing. Sure they will get more performance from drivers. Will it be enough?
- doubtful without a respin unless Nvidia really drops the ball and is (1) very late, or (2) the GTX 680 is a disappointment.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:18 pm 

Yep. I figured you were referencing to design. LOL.

There will likely a be a re-spin. Improvements. The card is priced right where it should be (marginally more than a 580).

It'll likely do what it needs to in interim before Kepler. Sell. Which is why they put it out so early, I reckon. They just wanted to take the fastest dual and single crown for a bit.

What kind of performance are we expecting from Kepler? I haven't really been keeping up.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:40 pm 

Googoo24 wrote:
Yep. I figured you were referencing to design. LOL.

There will likely a be a re-spin. Improvements. The card is priced right where it should be (marginally more than a 580).

It'll likely do what it needs to in interim before Kepler. Sell. Which is why they put it out so early, I reckon. They just wanted to take the fastest dual and single crown for a bit.

What kind of performance are we expecting from Kepler? I haven't really been keeping up.

Yes, i said so in my preview and i infuriated the AMD fans and their PR.

HD 7970 is priced too high for its (lack of) performance. Very much like when the GTX 280 came out and it could backfire.

AMD is in desperate need of cash; this is a bold move with a hint of desperation. That's why it paper-launched to only a few tech sites. Watch the GTX 580 drop in price as a counter move by Nvidia.
:hello:

Well, if Kepler doesn't absolutely blow away the overclocked HD 7970 (with mature drivers), then Nvidia will have *failed* utterly.
- we shall have to see. Probably the end of their Q1 or beginning of Q2.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:06 pm 

All that matters to AMD is that it has the fastest card. I doubt they're too concerned, since they know it will sell on that alone. Plus it's a lot more refined (heat/power demands) than the 580 I gather. A card that performs for 10-25% faster than a 580, but demands less power is slightly impressive. I cant lie.

I think it's a win for AMD. If you look at it from a business perspective. Particular if they can ensure that they meet supply demands.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:16 pm 

Yep. Wait for it A. The ads will be here shortly. "World's first 28mm GPU! Fastest GPU on planet!"

You know it will turn out to be true! LOL.

I definitely agree with you on it being disappointment if you expected a massive leap over 40mm tech.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:18 pm 

Look, from AMD's perspective, $550 is a good deal for the HD 7970 and they are shocked that anybody but a Nvidia fan would say otherwise

Let's look at what we really have - 25% more performance for 10% more dollars than the GTX580.

That is unprecedented. Terrible for a NEXT-GEN part on a full node lower process. It does not bode well for the HD 7800 series pricing wise and it could be a giant back-fire to AMD who is used to spoiling their fans.

And the performance bar is now lowered for Nvidia. They can go 25% more performance for 10% more dollars than the HD 7970. It may be good in the short-term for AMD, but bad in the long run - it's going to depend on their respin of the HD 7970.
:(

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:28 pm 

Well. There will be a re-spin. I'm positive of that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:33 pm 

i said it first - 2 days before the HD 7970 launched:

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/amds-upc ... video-card

Just look at the title:
AMD’s Upcoming HD 7970 Exposed – a Short-lived Video card?
Quote:
The most interesting thing about this launch is that it appears that Tahiti’s HD 7970 may be short-lived.

My choice of a title may have *appeared* to have been sensational; as it turned out, it is true
:)

6 months to the HD 7980 . . . and counting
:hello:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:46 pm 

Probably 4gb.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:04 pm 

Huh?
:scratch:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next