ABT Forum

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:14 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:31 pm 

Get it while it's hot! 3.1 gigabytes... I'm downloading now but steam is getting hammered so I'm only getting 100k a second.

Speaking of Skyrim, apoppin would you be open to suggestions about consolidating and/or introducing new benchmarks for future reviews?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:18 pm 

Yes, as soon as i can finish my big backload of reviews and evaluations, i am going to be adding some new games.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:08 pm 

apoppin wrote:
Yes, as soon as i can finish my big backload of reviews and evaluations, i am going to be adding some new games.

I hope you are going to consolidate a little bit. In my opinion, Vantage is worthless and Heaven is questionable. Far Cry 2 is no longer needed since mid-range cards can run this game well at 2560p resolution with in game settings maxed, same with Resident Evil 5 and Hawx 2 for that matter. If it is at all possible, drop the old Batman in favor of the new one (for it's DX11 functionality) and add Skyrim into the mix.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:30 pm 

So you just want me to leave some games out?
:scratch:

FC2 bench shows GPU and CPU scaling exceptionally well and i also test it at 5760x1080; same with RE 5 and HAWX 2 for that matter.

The old Batman has already been dropped in favor of Arkham City .. and i am too cheap to buy Skyrim yet (i was waiting for the GotY for myself) since it looks like i will be buying my own Radeons from now on.
:blush:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:40 am 

The fact that you have to download the texture pack through steam really pisses me off, given its 3.1gb size. Not to mention it should have shipped with the PC version of the game.

"At NVIDIA we know that all shredders are green." --Jensen Huang
Adam knew he should have bought a PC, but Eve fell for the marketing hype. >:)
Having a lot of people buy your product doesn't do you much good if they subsequently decide they don't like it. There's a reason snake oil salesmen moved from town to town every few days. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:19 am 

Everybody is saying same thing about steam. I am also facing same problem. But what is the reason behind this?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:49 am 

Developer stupidity as near as I can tell. The high res textures should have been on the disc (or a disc) in the retail box. Failing that they should be able to be downloaded independent of steam so people with slow internet can get them easier.

Having a lot of people buy your product doesn't do you much good if they subsequently decide they don't like it. There's a reason snake oil salesmen moved from town to town every few days. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:39 pm 

Speaking of Skyrim, Todd Howard had a few things to say - one of which is that the average play time is 75 hours.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... t-75-hours
Quote:
"Our PC audience is really, really engaged. All the players in Skyrim are, there over ten million people that have played the game so far, which is amazing to us. Multiple millions are online with their PCs so it's done really well. And with Steam we get to see all the stats.

"Of those millions of people on the PC the average playtime is 75 hours. It's something we'd like to see come to consoles one day. You get this thing where it's not just the game but [players] can now take it and change it. Gaming is the ultimate combination of art and technology and allowing the players to be their own director."

Howard also teased some ideas from a recent internal game jam at Bethesda, where developers were given free reign for a week to experiment with anything they wanted, so long as the final result was incorporated into the game.

Dragon mounts, spears, kill cameras for magic, assassin's vision, hanging and moving structures in dungeons, build-you-own houses, vampire feeding, spell combos, mounted combat and shouts using the Kinect peripheral were all shown off, with Howard adding that some may or may not appear in future DLC.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:48 pm 

WHOA!!!

This game: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning just released on Feb. 4

has the BEST combat system I've ever seen in my entire life (especially for an RPG game)!!!

10,000 times better than Diablo's hack-n-slash system.

It's a good start for a new kind of RPG-action genre game. A bit cartoony graphics (but not as cartoony as Diablo 3, still a tad bit more than Diablo 2 -- pretty much like the Zelda games for the Wii), but wonderful art and environments.

To be forgiven by Jesus, He rose us from the sinful dead with bonding love.

______

Dear GOD, My GOD, I Will Live With YOU In YOUR BONDING LOVE and YOUR Heavenly Faith And Love Forever And Forever, Amen.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm 

It got good reviews. Here is an overview
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... -reckoning
Quote:
Joystiq's review by Richard Mitchell the investment and big names seem to have paid off, his brief piece gives the game a full five out of five stars. For comparison the site recently gave Skyrim the same full marks, Dragon Age 2 a four and Final Fantasy XIII-2 just three.

Mitchell praises the combat and the beauty of the world, "a world that is immaculately crafted and beautiful, yet still simple and accessible. Every corner reveals a person in need, a treasure to collect, a secret to uncover, a battle to wage."

"While not all quests bestow exciting rewards (more gold? Gee, thanks) the world is so littered with loot and goodies that almost every journey is worth the effort," he explains, although also admits he hasn't finished the game after 30 hours of play, so this may not be true of every side quest.

He's also pretty pleased with the real nuts and bolts of the game, its fighting.

"Even if a quest fails to pan out, the combat handily makes up for it. Each class of abilities offers a different experience, but all offer a thrill that isn't often found in an open-world role-playing game."

While he recognises there are flaws, he refuses to give them any real weight.

. . .

Eurogamer's eight out of ten review offers a more comprehensive criticism of the game, and compares it to the other big titles that have recently made waves in the genre.

"Whilst it's designed by Elder Scrolls veteran Ken Rolston (Morrowind, Oblivion) and has many features you'll recognise from BioWare's and Bethesda's games (an obsession with the arts of conversation and thievery, for example), Amalur isn't so flexible," argues Welsh.

"It's professional, tidy, satisfying - and deeply generic. The biggest problem with Amalur is that, for all its fine craftsmanship, it's obviously a world made to order. It's not the creation of a fertile young mind but of a successful baseball player's bank account. 38 Studios' owner, EverQuest and WOW fan Curt Schilling, decided to make an MMO and needed a world to build it on, so he had artist Todd McFarlane and novelist R A Salvatore drum one up. But you can't buy inspiration, no matter how big the names."

But these somewhat ingenious origins and workmanlike feel don't seem to get in the way of being actually quite playable, even if the average gamer will have seen it all before.
. . .

"Then - just as the world opens out and the story picks up traction - that motor really starts to sing. That's when a solid, workmanlike game becomes one that's virtually impossible to put down."

The only criticism seems to be aimed at the XBox' slow loading and other technical issues

Shall i take a couple of weeks off to play these games?
:tease:
We just got a new writer. Smartphones.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:01 pm 

The graphics look hideous to me. Morrowind-esque with a healthy dose of japanese "weird" style art and lots of floursecent colors. Not much story either apparently.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/reviews/2 ... -world.ars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:31 am 

Are you judging that just from the 3 pictures in the above-linked review? The environment is pretty good, and keeps on getting better as you progress into the game - the gigantic redwood forest part blew me away.

It's the combat system that is awesome - many players still crave for more of it after 100 hours of play. I just hope that if there's a sequel, it would retain all of the combat goodness while improving on the story and character development element along with the occasionally quirky camera issues.

NV finally released a Stereo3D profile for this game, but it's only rated at "Fair".

To be forgiven by Jesus, He rose us from the sinful dead with bonding love.

______

Dear GOD, My GOD, I Will Live With YOU In YOUR BONDING LOVE and YOUR Heavenly Faith And Love Forever And Forever, Amen.