ABT Forum

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:23 pm 

So users with HD 4870-X2 and 4870 CF will not get updates after June. Kinda sucks if you ask me as these are still capable cards. That probably means no Win8 support. Let's hope Nvidia continues to update GTX 200 series.

http://www.techpowerup.com/164573/AMD-t ... -12.7.html
Quote:
AMD will conclude driver updates for pre-Evergreen, or pre-Radeon HD 5000 (that's HD 2000, HD 3000, and HD 4000) series GPUs, starting this summer. The change could take effect with Catalyst 12.7 (around July). Users of these older GPUs can use the (then) latest driver (Catalyst 12.6) to run their older DirectX 10/10.1 graphics cards.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:08 pm 

The g80 will live on a while longer yet. It gained the adaptive v-sync, TXAA and FXAA that came with GK104. AMD should be adding what new software features they can to their older cards, not killing them off. But their fans are the ones who told me back in the day that they'd be using their 9700 Pro's and 9600's for at least 5 years with no need to upgrade! :lol:

My humble little GT240 with DDR3 (not even G-DDR 3) runs Skyrim very nicely, even on ancient 275.33 drivers. I'm talking hi-res textures too, and tweaked settings, not console garbage quality.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:00 pm 

If i was on good terms with AMD, i would have asked AMD to clarify. Ryan Smith of AT did and got this response from AMD:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.ph ... stcount=51
Quote:
AMD will be moving the AMD Radeon™ HD 2000, AMD Radeon HD 3000, and AMD Radeon HD 4000 Series of products to a new driver support model. We will continue to support the mentioned products in our Catalyst releases, but we’re moving their updates to a quarterly basis, whereas our AMD Radeon HD 5000 and later products will continue to see monthly updates. The Quarterly Catalyst releases will focus on resolving application specific issues and critical updates. The reason for the shift in support policy is largely due to the fact that the AMD Radeon HD 2000, AMD Radeon HD 3000, and AMD Radeon HD 4000 Series have been optimized to their maximum potential from a performance and feature perspective. The 8.97 based driver, released in May 2012 will be the first driver for the AMD Radeon HD 2000, AMD Radeon HD 3000, and AMD Radeon HD 4000 Series under the new support model; it is an extremely stable and robust driver branch for these products and will be the baseline for our quarterly updates.

Our main development and testing efforts will now be focused on the AMD Radeon™ HD 5000 and later products. This is the best use of our resources, as the AMD Radeon HD 5000, AMD Radeon HD 6000, AMD Radeon HD 7000, and future products have the greatest potential for further performance and feature enhancements.

Also with regards to Windows 8 support for the AMD Radeon™ HD 2000, 3000, 4000 Series of products; the In-the-box AMD Graphics driver that ships with Windows 8 will include support for the AMD Radeon HD 2000, 3000, and 4000 Series, and it will support the WDDM 1.1 driver level features. The AMD Catalyst driver for Windows 8 will only include support for WDDM 1.2 support products (AMD Radeon HD 5000 and later).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:33 am 

So, gimped future support in Windows 8 and we hope you enjoy old games, since you won't be getting driver supprt for new ones, no matter how undemanding they may be. Lovely.

Meanwhile nvidia is still supporting cards as far back as g70 with the latest driver:

301.24 driver page wrote:
Supported products: .... GeForce 7 Series GeForce 7800 GTX, GeForce 7900 GTX

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/43883

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:53 am 

Personally i think it is a bad move on AMD's part to drop support for HD 4000 series. It was introduced 3-1/2 years old - some of the cards are barely out of warranty now.

So that means that the HD 7970 you bought in December will likely not be supported by AMD in the 2014-2015 time frame. What are they thinking?
:think:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:37 am 

AMD drops support for older cards! (ROFLMAO) (ROFLMAO)

No problem I have dropped ALL my support for AMD. (finger)

Nvidia and INTEL all the way!!! Shame on AMD bye bye a m d ...... :-h <:-P

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:08 am 

apoppin wrote:
Personally i think it is a bad move on AMD's part to drop support for HD 4000 series. It was introduced 3-1/2 years old - some of the cards are barely out of warranty now.

So that means that the HD 7970 you bought in December will likely not be supported by AMD in the 2014-2015 time frame. What are they thinking?

I honestly think its not a big deal.Its not like that that your cards are not going run without 12.7 catalyst driver.Feature wise i'm not sure what the new drivers will bring in for AMD so the future may not be as bleak as it is portrayed :grin:
At the same time i hope that they deliver hot fixes whenever necessary.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:00 pm 

My wifey has the 4850 in the Dell I bought her. No more AMD/ATI for me or her, or anyone I build a pc for in the future.

Oh, I forgot to tell you guys, remember that monitor I was having problems with? The 22" Samsung that would not work with her computer after switching to a 17" and back to the same 22"?
You know I got the Dell 24", but I gave my dad that 22" and it works fine on his computer which I built for him in 2002. It has a PNY Quadro 750gxl VC I believe. It cost about $750. back then.

I have a feeling it was something to do with the video card in my wife's pc. It worked before with that monitor. Doesn't make sense! The 24" Samsung she has now (my old one) works fine. She loves it!

Win7--Intel DH77KC---Intel i7 3770---Evga 670ftw---EVGA 650G SuperNova psu---Mushkin Blackline ddr3/1600/8gb #997043---WD Velociraptor 500gb--- Kaspersky Internet Security '14

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:35 pm 

jaydip wrote:
apoppin wrote:

I honestly think its not a big deal.Its not like that that your cards are not going run without 12.7 catalyst driver.Feature wise i'm not sure what the new drivers will bring in for AMD so the future may not be as bleak as it is portrayed :grin:

This is the second time that AMD has done this. The updates will last less than a year if they follow the pattern (i think it was x800 series owners that got screwed).

It's a bad precedent and the only reason that AMD does it is to save money for themselves - they are not thinking of their customers. It appears that they can justify anything
:hello:

Your HD 7970 may have support dropped for it in 3 years.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:39 pm 

Isn't the 4870 about as fast as a GTX 460? If so, they should still be supporting a card of that power.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:48 pm 

No. But there are still people with them - as with CorCentral - who are using the 4000 series in second PCs - who still play *current* DX9/DX10 games.
- it is not like MS dropping support for crap WinME. HD 4000 is quite popular and those with a HD 4870-X2 or CrossFire are still able to play DX10 games near max settings. HD 4870-X2 is almost as powerful as HD 5870/HD 6950/HD 7850.

Can you imagine what EYERYONE would say if Nvidia dropped support for GTX 280?

It's a bad move and there is no justification for it other than AMD is saving money for themselves. It's called screwing their own customers and it does not look good for FUTURE support..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:51 pm 

I was going to mention x800 owners in my previous post, but thought I'd better not rub it in too hard...

Of course there is a distinct possibility that there is hardly anybody left at AMD now who knows these older architectures well enough to write drivers for them....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:57 pm 

It just proves the philosophy of the two companies if one looks at the GTX 2XX series and the HD 4XXX series: nVidia added multi-monitor support, 3d vision, GPU PhysX, adaptive V-sync, FXAA, probably TXAA and SGSSAA , frame-limiters and still continuing to support strongly with developer relations and over-all support for their older hardware.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:10 pm 

Huh? What are you saying?

What ARE the philosophy differences between them?

:)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:19 pm 

apoppin wrote:
jaydip wrote:
apoppin wrote:

This is the second time that AMD has done this. The updates will last less than a year if they follow the pattern (i think it was x800 series owners that got screwed).

It's a bad precedent and the only reason that AMD does it is to save money for themselves - they are not thinking of their customers. It appears that they can justify anything
:hello:

Your HD 7970 may have support dropped for it in 3 years.

I understand your point.But we gamers typically upgrade in 12-15months so its not such a big deal.But for other customers it can create problems and as u pointed out some of us use older cards in different systems making this a deal breaker for many.