AlienBabelTech Forums

Full Version: Graphical Processors
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys its been a while, so I now work nights and I often find myself board out of my mind, I own a Asus T100 and surprisingly enough it runs League of Legends and D3 at the most basic levels with its built in Intel Graphics (I am not sure what exactly are the specs on that internal graphics haven't been able to get a clear breakdown).  So I thought to myself I would just get a really cheap laptop so I can run D3 on a better level while I am at work and AMD's A Series came to mind.

Now I recall that Intel had some APUs or something to that extent also with part of the processor being able to do graphics which lead me to thinking, if basically i3, i5 and i7 are graphics capable (they can process graphics, in place of having a video card, low end but video none the less) but are not marketed as APUs the way AMD markets the A Series? If so an i5 would be equivalent or better than A4, A6, A8 or A10?

Thanks in advance.
Right now Broadwell is the best APU that you can get, bar none. It has CPU peformance that is probably at least twice as fast as anything AMD makes, plus it has the fastest graphics performance on an APU. It's even faster than Skylake actually. And you can get some very affordable laptops with Broadwell. Here in Canada the Microsoft Store has been having great deals on them, I'm not sure what they're like in the US.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from AMD.
(10-03-2015, 07:20 PM)SickBeast Wrote: [ -> ]Right now Broadwell is the best APU that you can get, bar none.  It has CPU peformance that is probably at least twice as fast as anything AMD makes, plus it has the fastest graphics performance on an APU.  It's even faster than Skylake actually.  And you can get some very affordable laptops with Broadwell.  Here in Canada the Microsoft Store has been having great deals on them, I'm not sure what they're like in the US.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from AMD.

This is a BIG problem for "The future is Fusion!" guys. (and not a small problem for NVIDIA)

As intel integrated becomes "good enough" for 1080p gaming, only the most hardcore gamers will care about NVIDIA discrete in their laptops, and no one will care about AMD.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/inte...169-6.html
Don't forget Intel desktop iGPUs are only getting better. AMD will feel the heat in the desktop GPU market first, followed by Nvidia.
(10-04-2015, 02:33 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote: [ -> ]Don't forget Intel desktop iGPUs are only getting better. AMD will feel the heat in the desktop GPU market first, followed by Nvidia.

Yep, intel is in a VERY good position now.

NVIDIA has no worries as the brand of choice for high margin gaming and work parts, one $1000 part profit = many IGPU profits.

AMD........

(10-02-2015, 04:29 PM)setek Wrote: [ -> ]Hey guys its been a while, so I now work nights and I often find myself board out of my mind, I own a Asus T100 and surprisingly enough it runs League of Legends and D3 at the most basic levels with its built in Intel Graphics (I am not sure what exactly are the specs on that internal graphics haven't been able to get a clear breakdown).  So I thought to myself I would just get a really cheap laptop so I can run D3 on a better level while I am at work and AMD's A Series came to mind.

Now I recall that Intel had some APUs or something to that extent also with part of the processor being able to do graphics which lead me to thinking, if basically i3, i5 and i7 are graphics capable (they can process graphics, in place of having a video card, low end but video none the less) but are not marketed as APUs the way AMD markets the A Series? If so an i5 would be equivalent or better than A4, A6, A8 or A10?

Thanks in advance.

Like Sickbeast said, an i5 Broadwell (5xxx series) would be the best thing for a laptop without a separate GPU module in it.  An A10 might be decent for cheap 1366x768 laptops, but still it's considerably more expensive than an A4/A6/A8 laptop, so I'd just go with Broadwell for that much better performance and power savings altogether.  Also, 1080p should be the bare minimum these days, if we're having 5" smartphones with 1080p since 2013 or so.  In a few years from now, anything less than 1080p will be considered as ugly as CRT televisions of the 90's.
Quote:As intel integrated becomes "good enough" for 1080p gaming, only the most hardcore gamers will care about NVIDIA discrete in their laptops, and no one will care about AMD.

That is assuming that PC gamers will demand to become the new peasants of the gaming world. 1080p is getting to be low for a top tier *phone*- the fact that we are discussing it as a viable gaming resolution moving forward shows how much PC gaming has fallen. 4K TVs are well within the range of mass market buyers now(Wal Mart stocks many of them) and 8K is in the pipe. This isn't to say PC gaming is already past 1080p, I'm simply pointing out that if 1080p is the defacto standard for PC gaming come 2020 cell phones will be flat out superior on a visuals basis.
(10-10-2015, 08:55 AM)BenSkywalker Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:As intel integrated becomes "good enough" for 1080p gaming, only the most hardcore gamers will care about NVIDIA discrete in their laptops, and no one will care about AMD.

That is assuming that PC gamers will demand to become the new peasants of the gaming world. 1080p is getting to be low for a top tier *phone*- the fact that we are discussing it as a viable gaming resolution moving forward shows how much PC gaming has fallen. 4K TVs are well within the range of mass market buyers now(Wal Mart stocks many of them) and 8K is in the pipe. This isn't to say PC gaming is already past 1080p, I'm simply pointing out that if 1080p is the defacto standard for PC gaming come 2020 cell phones will be flat out superior on a visuals basis.
I think it just proves that Rollo is living in the past a bit. I've said that 1440p would become the new 1080p. This hasn't happened yet, but I think it's going to happen. Just look at Newegg right now. New cheap Korean 1440p monitors are going as low as USD 200; several of them have perfect pixel ratings yet are still in the USD 200-300 range.