AlienBabelTech Forums
Minnesota man jailed for putting up wind turbine - Printable Version

+- AlienBabelTech Forums (http://alienbabeltech.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Social (http://alienbabeltech.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News & Politics (http://alienbabeltech.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Minnesota man jailed for putting up wind turbine (/showthread.php?tid=833)

Minnesota man jailed for putting up wind turbine - dmcowen674 - 10-06-2015

10-5-2015

Orono man in jail over wind turbine

In June 2014, a judge ordered Jay and Kendall Nygard to take down a wind turbine because it was violating neighbor nuisance laws. This year in February the couple was ordered to take down the wind turbine or they both would be facing jail time.

On Friday a Hennepin county judge sentenced Jay to 6 months in jail.

The Nygard's say their turbine is down for good, but by court order they're also supposed to remove the foundation.

"I'm trying to do the right thing for the country, for my community and the future. And what happens? I end up in jail." Jay said.

Until the foundation is removed, Jay has to stay in jail. His wife hopes to have it removed by early next week.

RE: Minnesota man jailed for putting up wind turbine - dmcowen674 - 10-06-2015

It's insane.

Solar and Wind energy now a crime in the U.S.

RE: Minnesota man jailed for putting up wind turbine - RolloTheGreat - 10-06-2015

People have a right not to have to look at some things in their neighborhood, and have their property value lowered by eyesores.

A person putting up multi tiered solar panels 75 feet straight up off their lot could certainly be "good for the environment", but pretty much end his neighbor's ability to sell their home.

Therein lies the key: you can do almost anything you like until you start infringing on the rights of others.

RE: Minnesota man jailed for putting up wind turbine - dmcowen674 - 10-06-2015

Do you ever look at the articles, videos and pictures before you post?

Both the people with the Solar Panels and the Turbine were not eyesores.

RE: Minnesota man jailed for putting up wind turbine - SteelCrysis - 10-06-2015

Have you ever seen Minnesota along I-90, between Rochester and Austin? Plenty of wind turbines there. Also plenty of wind turbines north of Albert Lea. I seriously doubt wind energy is a crime here in Minnesota.

RE: Minnesota man jailed for putting up wind turbine - RolloTheGreat - 10-06-2015

(10-06-2015, 08:16 PM)dmcowen674 Wrote: Do you ever look at the articles, videos and pictures before you post?

Looks pretty crappy to me, especially on lake shore.

RE: Minnesota man jailed for putting up wind turbine - dmcowen674 - 10-07-2015

(10-06-2015, 09:03 PM)SteelCrysis Wrote: Have you ever seen Minnesota along I-90, between Rochester and Austin? Plenty of wind turbines there. Also plenty of wind turbines north of Albert Lea. I seriously doubt wind energy is a crime here in Minnesota.

It's a crime for individuals, only the Utilities can have the technology.

RE: Minnesota man jailed for putting up wind turbine - BoFox - 10-07-2015

(10-06-2015, 11:20 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:
(10-06-2015, 08:16 PM)dmcowen674 Wrote: Do you ever look at the articles, videos and pictures before you post?

Looks pretty crappy to me, especially on lake shore.

What about all of those cell phone towers, putting quite a show at night?  Across most bays in the US, it's no longer a nice place to look at the stars - you have these annoying towers flashing lights everywhere across the horizon. 

Solar panels on roofs are actually cool-looking to me.  As long as they aren't on the ground, or hidden out of sight, like the wind turbine foundation which shouldn't be too big of a deal, what's such a big deal?  If it prevents the other house from selling, it's actually a BS reason - a dishonest excuse by the unhappy neighbor wanting to spread his own misery to others. 

Now, as to the 6-month jail time, wow.  Just, wow.  The judge is really lucky if he doesn't come back and put a bullet right in between the judge's eyes someday if he decides that he has nothing to lose.

RE: Minnesota man jailed for putting up wind turbine - BoFox - 10-07-2015

See all of those code enforcement harassment videos over at Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=code+enforcement+harassment

No wonder one code enforcement officer was shot dead in Chicago:

SteelCrysis is right - I feel that it's becoming a bit too much of a police state nowadays. One code enforcement officer tried to give me a hard time by issuing warning citations for not shoveling the snow off the sidewalk right when we were moving in this past March, and for a few other absurd things. The next time, I'd quickly get in a car and follow the code enforcement officer around, taking videos of the houses that he passes by, to prove to the court that it's deliberate selective harrassment (leaving other houses alone while singling me out).