Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Console gaming thread
We can continue the discussion from the old forums here. I'd link to the old thread but the last couple of pages are broken thanks to the faulty plugins in the old forum.

This is the current summary of global sales

[Image: consolesummary.jpg]

PS4 is holding up well and will lead this generation.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(03-09-2015, 08:04 PM)gstanford Wrote: We can continue the discussion from the old forums here.  I'd link to the old thread but the last couple of pages are broken thanks to the faulty plugins in the old forum.

This is the current summary of global sales

[Image: consolesummary.jpg]

PS4 is holding up well and will lead this generation.

The shocking thing on that chart is 3DS sales!

PS4s success is more dominant globally than in the USA:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-on...0-6424679/

Quote:Xbox One was number one back in November, and it looks like they did it again for December.

My son rarely touches his PS4, most of his friends went to XBone.
5 years from now your sons situation will reverse (the xbox will have the worse library).

Young ones probably didn't get the gigantic 'fvck you' message older and wiser gamers sent M$ over the way M$ thought they were just going to run roughshod pver consumers. Brand is an important thing to young people as is peer pressure. Fortunately most wise up as they age.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(03-09-2015, 08:53 PM)gstanford Wrote: 5 years from now your sons situation will reverse (the xbox will have the worse library).

Young ones probably didn't get the gigantic 'fvck you' message older and wiser gamers sent M$ over the way M$ thought they were just going to run roughshod pver consumers.  Brand is an important thing to young people as is peer pressure.  Fortunately most wise up as they age.

Eh, in five years it will be a moot point as he has both? If there is some shift in development, he has a CC and can get what he needs.
Yes, but which one will get more gaming hours logged?

I have a 360 as well as a PS3 and I only got it for a tiny handful of games you can't get for PS3 (forza horizons, two worlds, fable, TDU1, Risen)

And now Microsoft is bundling Halo: The Master Chief Collection with XBone for free: http://news.xbox.com/2015/03/xbox-one-halo-mcc-bundle
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
Nice if you like Halo I guess. The game series does absolutely nothing for me.

Telling that M$ has to resort to bundling the crown jewels of their XBOX exclusives to try and move sales though.

(03-09-2015, 09:50 PM)gstanford Wrote: Nice if you like Halo I guess.  The game series does absolutely nothing for me.

Telling that M$ has to resort to bundling the crown jewels of their XBOX exclusives to try and move sales though.

What has changed? Halo, Titanfall, Gears of War, etc editions in the past. It's pretty common to bundle a popular game to move consoles.

There's also the remained to be seen effects of DX12 which PS4 will never see.
Halo is one of M$ main franchises for the XBOX. People buy the console because they want to buy Halo and play it.

Giving Halo away is like giving your cash cow away.

I'm quite sure that both Sony and Khronos are perfectly capable of extracting efficiency out of the PS4, at least as much as M$ will manage on XBONE. M$ doesn't have a monopoly on talented coders.

(03-10-2015, 09:11 AM)gstanford Wrote: Halo is one of M$ main franchises for the XBOX.  People buy the console because they want to buy Halo and play it.

Giving Halo away is like giving your cash cow away.

True, but Master Chief is just all the old games everyone who likes Halo has already played, and it was released 5 months ago and has been through a Christmas season.

I don't know how much of a cash cow it is these days.
Well, Khronos might have a monopoly on promising the moon and delivering almost none of it.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
They did alright in the PS3 era, so I imagine PS4 isn't going to trouble them much.

The truth is, i wanted the xbone to do poorly. I hated the route M$ took with they system. Honestly, i wish they would wake up. Microsoft has a very unique position and could take the steam machine concept to totally change the future of consoles and gaming forever.

The M$ machine should be the gaming solution of the future. M$ needs to get out of the HW business and really shift gears. Just imagine the radical shift M$ could make here and what it would come from it. M$ would literally leave everyone behind, securing their future in PC and gaming as well. This would keep the PC market alive and stronger than ever as well as give M$ an edge that no one can really touch right now. If M$ doesnt go this route soon, they will miss the opportunity.

Android is ever expanding and reaching further and further, With google talking about gaming consoles, it is only a matter of time. Android gaming will be a threat like none other before it. M$ has an opportunity to radically shift by bringing together strengths to do something no one else can right now. Drop the xbox and start on building the gaming empire of the future. The M$ machine.
(03-14-2015, 02:01 PM)ocre Wrote: The truth is, i wanted the xbone to do poorly.  I hated the route M$ took with they system.  Honestly, i wish they would wake up.  Microsoft has a very unique position and could take the steam machine concept to totally change the future of consoles and gaming forever.  

The M$ machine should be the gaming solution of the future.  M$ needs to get out of the HW business and really shift gears.  Just imagine the radical shift M$ could make here and what it would come from it.  M$ would literally leave everyone behind, securing their future in PC and gaming as well.  This would keep the PC market alive and stronger than ever as well as give M$ an edge that no one can really touch right now.  If M$ doesnt go this route soon, they will miss the opportunity.

Android is ever expanding and reaching further and further,  With google talking about gaming consoles, it is only a matter of time.  Android gaming will be a threat like none other before it.  M$ has an opportunity to radically shift by bringing together strengths to do something no one else can right now.  Drop the xbox and start on building the gaming empire of the future.  The M$ machine.

This is an interesting and valid point in my opinion.

I think Android is a way out, too few games ported over at present.

When I told my son Nvidia has 50 games ported over he looked at me like I was crazy and said "STEAM has 1000s?". He also said, "If it's not on STEAM, kids won't buy it".

What I'd like to do is see them stay in the console business, switch to an intel/NV platform, cross platform with PCs, and dominate with the combined market.
Wow look at the Wii U, pretty much tied with the Xbox One. That's really bad for the Xbox One IMO. The Wii U is widely seen as a failure, I guess that means that the Xbox One is a failure as well. Good for Sony, they won this round with the best hardware at the best price.

I really think that the next big console is going to run Android. The new Shield is not powerful enough to truly compete. I think that in a couple of years something really great is going to come out for Android.

I agree with the idea that Microsoft should make a Steam console.
(03-15-2015, 12:54 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Wow look at the Wii U, pretty much tied with the Xbox One.  That's really bad for the Xbox One IMO.  The Wii U is widely seen as a failure, I guess that means that the Xbox One is a failure as well.  Good for Sony, they won this round with the best hardware at the best price.

I really think that the next big console is going to run Android.  The new Shield is not powerful enough to truly compete.  I think that in a couple of years something really great is going to come out for Android.

How stupid can you possibly be? The XBone beating the Wii U despite a publicity handicap and having 2 less years on the market proves the Wii U is a failure compared to the XBone.
(03-15-2015, 01:18 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote:
(03-15-2015, 12:54 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Wow look at the Wii U, pretty much tied with the Xbox One.  That's really bad for the Xbox One IMO.  The Wii U is widely seen as a failure, I guess that means that the Xbox One is a failure as well.  Good for Sony, they won this round with the best hardware at the best price.

I really think that the next big console is going to run Android.  The new Shield is not powerful enough to truly compete.  I think that in a couple of years something really great is going to come out for Android.

How stupid can you possibly be?  The XBone beating the Wii U despite a publicity handicap and having 2 less years on the market proves the Wii U is a failure compared to the XBone.

You are really rude. There are more civilized ways to discuss things than this.

Yes, the Wii U has been out longer but to see the PS4 doubling the Xbox One sales is really bad for MS. The total number of consoles sold is a big deal to developers as well. They don't care about when the consoles came out. They care about how many people can buy their games.

By the way: The Wii U was only out for 1 year before the Xbox One game out. How stupid can you possibly be to repeatedly post misinformation? Pretty damn stupid IMO. You are a useless troll on these forums.

How stupid can you possibly be?  The XBone beating the Wii U despite a publicity handicap and having 2 less years on the market proves the Wii U is a failure compared to the XBone.

Xbone is definitely a lot more successful than Wii U, selling the same amount in 1/3rd the time. (although even at 3m a year I don't know if Wii U can be deemed a "failure")
(03-15-2015, 02:06 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:

Xbone is definitely a lot more successful than Wii U, selling the same amount in 1/3rd the time. (although even at 3m a year I don't know if Wii U can be deemed a "failure")
1/3 the time? You mean more than half the time?

Yes, the Xbox One has sold more units in less time, definitely, but to see it with comparable overall sales to the Wii U is very bad, despite having less time on the market.
[B\
(03-15-2015, 02:03 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Yes, the Wii U has been out longer but to see the PS4 doubling the Xbox One sales is really bad for MS.  The total number of consoles sold is a big deal to developers as well.  They don't care about when the consoles came out.  They care about how many people can buy their games.

So you think developers will stop working with MICROSOFT?

I don't know if I've ever read anything more unlikely on the forums in my life.

You need to get a grip, Sickbeast.

First of all, MS can survive having a bit more than a third of this generation of consoles.MS is literally larger than Sony by a factor of TEN. (Sony market cap $31b, MS market cap $331b. MS could buy ailing Sony with their pocket change, if they had any use for them.)

Second, Sony is not a healthy company. They lost over $2b last year, like they lose money every year:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-wa...0-6422367/

Quote:How much Sony's weakened value and market underperformance affects the PlayStation division is a matter for debate, though it's generally accepted that the games business cannot be immune to it.

MS?

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/22/592594...l-earnings

Well, they're netting about $5b a quarter, and have been pretty much forever.

Even barring the obvious fact that if MS wanted to, they could give away Xbones with the purchase of a game to "win the console war", you're ignoring the 800lb gorilla in the room:

MS controls the whole Xbox market (huge) and the PC gaming market (huge). They MAKE DirectX, for pete's sake!

For developers to give up on MS to work exclusively with circling the drain Sony is the equivalent of them telling NVIDIA and intel, "Sorry guys, we're hooking up with AMD. Don't need you anymore.".

Did some Sony exec possess you and force you to type those words while you screamed "Nooooo! Don't make me look foolish! Pleeasse I'll buy a Bravia tv and a Lumia phone!"Anything you want!"
Please don't twist my words. I never said that the developers will stop working with MS. For you to turn around and say that's the "most unlikely" statement you have ever heard is because you are manipulating what I am saying to try to make me look bad. See, this is why you get banned from forums, Rollo, and why a lot of people can't stand interacting with you.

All I said is that the developers care about the total number of consoles sold. The Wii U and the Xbox One are in a similar situation in that regard. The Xbox One has a leg up because it's more powerful and it's similar to the PS4, however there is no denying the fact that their overall user base is very similar.

Nintendo has the added benefit of being the best game developer on the planet as well.
(03-15-2015, 02:39 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Please don't twist my words.  I never said that the developers will stop working with MS.  For you to turn around and say that's the "most unlikely" statement you have ever heard is because you are manipulating what I am saying to try to make me look bad.  See, this is why you get banned from forums, Rollo, and why a lot of people can't stand interacting with you.

All I said is that the developers care about the total number of consoles sold.  The Wii U and the Xbox One are in a similar situation in that regard.  The Xbox One has a leg up because it's more powerful and it's similar to the PS4, however there is no denying the fact that their overall user base is very similar.

Nintendo has the added benefit of being the best game developer on the planet as well.

Hey you said Xbones installed user base is "very bad for MS" because devs want a market to code for.

If you didn't mean they would alter their working with MS, and MS is wildly profitable even though selling less games and consoles, how exactly is it "very bad for MS"?

Because looking at the lurching wreck that is Sony these days, and the blue chip, uber successful company MS is, I'd say I want MS's "very bad" in my life, all day every day.
(03-15-2015, 02:56 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:
(03-15-2015, 02:39 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Please don't twist my words.  I never said that the developers will stop working with MS.  For you to turn around and say that's the "most unlikely" statement you have ever heard is because you are manipulating what I am saying to try to make me look bad.  See, this is why you get banned from forums, Rollo, and why a lot of people can't stand interacting with you.

All I said is that the developers care about the total number of consoles sold.  The Wii U and the Xbox One are in a similar situation in that regard.  The Xbox One has a leg up because it's more powerful and it's similar to the PS4, however there is no denying the fact that their overall user base is very similar.

Hey you said Xbones installed user base is "very bad for MS" because devs want a market to code for.

If you didn't mean they would alter their working with MS, and MS is wildly profitable even though selling less games and consoles, how exactly is it "very bad for MS"?

Because looking at the lurching wreck that is Sony these days, and the blue chip, uber successful company MS is, I'd say I want MS's "very bad" in my life, all day every day.
Well like I said, the good news for Microsoft is that the devs will continue to make games for the Xbox One because it's so similar to the PS4; it's really a no brainer for them. That being said, their sales have to be a huge disappointment for Microsoft. They really failed this round. Had they priced the console initially at $299 and made it a value proposition versus the PS4 they probably would have come out on top. Instead they released inferior hardware with a useless accessory for $100 more.

You are correct in stating that MS is a healthier and more profitable company than Sony is, but your comments are by and large irrelevant when we are discussing the success of their consoles. When I'm buying a system I could care less if the company is bleeding red ink. I just want the best console for my money with the best games.
(03-15-2015, 03:01 AM)SickBeast Wrote:
(03-15-2015, 02:56 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:

Well like I said, the good news for Microsoft is that the devs will continue to make games for the Xbox One because it's so similar to the PS4; it's really a no brainer for them.  That being said, their sales have to be a huge disappointment for Microsoft.  They really failed this round.  Had they priced the console initially at $299 and made it a value proposition versus the PS4 they probably would have come out on top.  Instead they released inferior hardware with a useless accessory for $100 more.

You are correct in stating that MS is a healthier and more profitable company than Sony is, but your comments are by and large irrelevant when we are discussing the success of their consoles.  When I'm buying a system I could care less if the company is bleeding red ink.  I just want the best console for my money with the best games.

I'm sure their decision to try and make XBone an interactive media center was a lesson they learned, but one they could easily afford.

Why should you care about Sony losing money hand over fist?

A few reasons:
1. If they actually go bankrupt, PS4 ecosystem is the next Sega, and your investment is lost.
2. They might try to sell the games division if they realize they can't survive on those meager profits and need R&D cash for their core businesses.
3. They might start cheaping out on the value added stuff like the free games or software updates
4. They might be bought by a successful company that has no interest in the gaming market.
5. ?
I would still buy a PS4 over the Xbox One. MS has a greater chance of abandoning their console division than Sony has of going bankrupt IMO. Sony is just going to have to clean house and get rid of their divisions that are losing money. They are not losing money on the PS4. The other parts of the company are the problem. Smartphones and TVs come to mind.
I don't care if M$ is 11 time bigger than Sony overall, or how much debt overall each company carries.

It is totally irrelevant to the console divisions of the companies, and Sony's console division is currently murdering M$ console division.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/03/ea...e-to-xbox/

Quote:Respawn co-founder Vince Zampella confirmed that "we're working on a sequel" to Titanfall, and that "it'll be multiplatform." Respawn COO Dusty Welch added that the original game was a Microsoft console exclusive primarily for business reasons; the title would have been "prohibitive" as a multiplatform release, he said.

Quote:"Last year it was on the Xbox only; in the future, we haven't yet announced, but we'll probably have another Titanfall game," Jorgensen said. "It will probably be a bigger footprint than just a single platform. I think that's a huge positive for us."
In other words the devs needed M$'s money to get Titanfall developed and that is the only reason why it was a M$ exclusive or even the original would have been multi-platform.

also:

Quote:Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli expressed unhappiness with the sales of Xbox One launch exclusive Ryse: Son of Rome, saying any sequel would have to wait for a "higher installed base across next-gen."

I don't understand all the Microsoft love on this forum. They are one of the most evil corporations of all time.
I don't understand why so much Microsoft hatred exists everywhere. It's always directed at stuff Microsoft did a minimum of 15 years ago.
windows 8, 8.1, vista, ending support for win 7 to force people into win 10 and the XBONE PR disaster didn't happen 15 years ago......

(03-15-2015, 11:19 AM)gstanford Wrote: windows 8, 8.1, vista, ending support for win 7 to force people into win 10 and the XBONE PR disaster didn't happen 15 years ago......

No one forces you to use their OSs Greg.

Linux, Android, and iOS are all available, if you don't like Windows you don't have to support them.

Personally I prefer Vista, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 to those options. So for me, MS makes the best operating systems in the world.

Windows 7 is 6 years old in a couple months, did you expect them to sell and support it forever?

The fact they are giving away Windows 10 for one year to all current Windows 7 and 8 users is amazing.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2873214/w...users.html
(03-15-2015, 05:43 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:
(03-15-2015, 11:19 AM)gstanford Wrote: windows 8, 8.1, vista, ending support for win 7 to force people into win 10 and the XBONE PR disaster didn't happen 15 years ago......

Linux, Android, and iOS are all available, if you don't like Windows you don't have to support them.

Personally I prefer Vista, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 to those options. So for me, MS makes the best operating systems in the world.

Windows 7 is 6 years old in a couple months, did you expect them to sell and support it forever?

The fact they are giving away Windows 10 for one year to all current Windows 7 and 8 users is amazing.

Windows 7 is a nice OS, I will admit that, but most people who run Windows PCs are doing it because they have to, not because they want to. We are forced to use it because our applications all run on it. MS Office is the big one. If all of the apps like Photoshop, Office, and such were ported over to Linux, Microsoft would be finished.

Windows 8 is an abomination.
People never said Microsoft was evil because of Vista, etc. I was responding to SickBeast's declaration that Microsoft is evil. BTW, people were bigoted against Vista on sheer fucking hearsay. Remember the "Windows Mohave" ads? Don't forget the OEMs throwing Vista onto 2 GHz Celeron + 512 MB RAM PCs that had no business running XP SP2, let alone Vista.

Oh yeah, Windows 10 is a free upgrade from 7 for the first year, and Xbox Live for Windows 10 is confirmed to be free too.
(03-15-2015, 11:36 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Windows 7 is a nice OS, I will admit that, but most people who run Windows PCs are doing it because they have to, not because they want to.  We are forced to use it because our applications all run on it.  MS Office is the big one.  If all of the apps like Photoshop, Office, and such were ported over to Linux, Microsoft would be finished.
As MS owns Office, a bunch of the other office apps, AND Windows, I don't think we need to think about them being ported to Linux, do you?

Of course, not like it would matter if they did, Enterprise will never adopt a freeware OS. (not to mention 90%+ of people)

(03-15-2015, 11:36 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Windows 8 is an abomination.

I don't mind it, have had it on a couple PCs around here since it launched.

I bet if you gave 10,000 people a choice between having Windows 8 and Linux installed on all their PCs, 9,900 would pick Windows 8.

Windows 8 is MSs try to unify their mobile and desktop ecosystem, to move from keyboard/mouse to touch or keyboard/mouse. Like all change, it takes getting used to.
(03-16-2015, 01:19 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: I don't mind it, have had it on a couple PCs around here since it launched.

I bet if you gave 10,000 people a choice between having Windows 8 and Linux installed on all their PCs, 9,900 would pick Windows 8.

Windows 8 is MSs try to unify their mobile and desktop ecosystem, to move from keyboard/mouse to touch or keyboard/mouse. Like all change, it takes getting used to.
[Image: slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif]
What's especially funny is all the people who were so offended by Windows 8, an OS they had never used, that they threatened to switch to Linux, a collection of OSes that is far more different in functionality and UI to Windows 7 than Windows 8 is to Windows 7.
Linux is actually more similar to Windows 7 than the metro interface is to Windows 7. Let's not forget about the charms and hot corners either.
Have you seen GNOME 3? 2 UIs, the desktop and the Applications UI. Not to mention that the other UIs barely look anything like Windows to begin with. Not to mention the entire system of packages.
Have a look at Linux mint.
That includes Linux Mint, with all of its various IDEs. Cinnamon looks the most like Windows 7 out of all Linux IDEs, but it still looks a lot different.
(03-15-2015, 03:24 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: A few reasons:
1. If they actually go bankrupt, PS4 ecosystem is the next Sega, and your investment is lost.
2. They might try to sell the games division if they realize they can't survive on those meager profits and need R&D cash for their core businesses.
3. They might start cheaping out on the value added stuff like the free games or software updates
4. They might be bought by a successful company that has no interest in the gaming market.
5. ?

1. LOL! Sony isn't going to go bankrupt! AMD will go bankrupt well before Sony does!

2. The games division is one of Sony's strongest along with its movie/song studios. It is the last thing they would be likely to sell off.

3. They haven't cheaped out and aren't likely to either. They pioneered Playstation Plus, M$ followed with Games With Gold.

4. Pigs might fly too.

[Image: Flying_Pigs_1.gif]

(03-15-2015, 05:43 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:

They are giving Win 10 away because after 8/8.1 it will take a miracle for anyone outside of business to pay M$ so much as a red razoo for the garbage they call an OS.

(03-15-2015, 11:48 PM)SteelCrysis Wrote:
People never said Microsoft was evil because of Vista, etc.

You've never been in our Access Centre, have you?

I guess at the Access Centre we should love Vista, 8.x and 10 because they bring us tons of patronage due to people not having a clue how to use the PC they just bought. Great for our windows basics & PC maintenance classes.

Did a roaring trade in windows 7 when 8 first came out too! Big Grin

Greg, aren't you employed at a computer outlet of some sort? I work for a software company myself, so I look to financial analysts for predictions of company fiscal health:

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/01/02/...macroaxis/

Quote:Based on latest financial disclosure Sony Corporation has Probability Of Bankruptcy of 78%. This is 181.53% higher than that of Consumer Goods sector, and 168.71% higher than that of Electronic Equipment industry, The Probability Of Bankruptcy for all stocks is 121.29% lower than the firm

And more recently from CNNMoney:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/10/30/technolo...?hpt=hp_t4

Quote:Sony is in dire straits.

Major rating agencies Fitch and Moody's have downgraded the company to "junk" status. Standard & Poor's has warned it could soon do the same.

So what is this "junk status" for investors that Sony now finds itself in?

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/02/052202.asp

Quote:With this bond type, you risk the chance that you will never get your money back.

So while your opinion all is well at Sony is nice, the financial community does not share it. Most investors would listen to them over you or I, and wisely so.