Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Automatic Repair loop
Well debi's windows 10 laptop has gone into automatic repair continuous loop.

Doing a search appears no one has been able to recover a PC that this has happened to.

:(
Hm, strange.  I haven't encountered this, and hope I never will.  Hope you can find a solution to this - if you do, LMK.
Maybe try a clean install, Dave. Windows 10 is still not completely stable in a lot of ways. A lot of the drivers are still raw and certain features like the power management have been really flaky for me. Good luck with it! It shouldn't take too long to extract her files off there and then do a full clean install of Windows 10. You can do it pretty easily with their Media Creation Tool, it will create a bootable USB for you within about 15 minutes depending on your internet connection.
I tried that, the problem is the drive is clicking and says there is No OS.

Of course she didn't back up anything. Frustrating part is she reminds me to backup my laptop all the time.

All of our digital pictures going back many years gone and who knows what else.

I had no idea she wasn't using one of the back up drives we have around.

She is horrible with computers and anything electronic.   Hit_head
Oh man! If you have important files on there, put that drive into an external enclosure and copy them off of there using a good and working PC! Then deal with the problem. So you're saying that even after reinstalling Windows the drive is saying no OS? What might be happening is that the computer is trying to boot off the wrong drive. Try disconnecting all the hard drives except for the one that has Windows on it.

Good luck Dave, please let us know if you need more help with this.
(03-06-2016, 12:02 AM)dmcowen674 Wrote: Well debi's windows 10 laptop has gone into automatic repair continuous loop.

Doing a search appears no one has been able to recover a PC that this has happened to.

:(

It's like Kingsman:Secret Service. Rich folk give us free tech, then screw with us.
I'm pretty sure the drive went bad.

Will take apart the laptop and put the drive in an external hard drive to USB adapter and see if I can recover the data.
(03-06-2016, 10:16 PM)dmcowen674 Wrote: I'm pretty sure the drive went bad.

Will take apart the laptop and put the drive in an external hard drive to USB adapter and see if I can recover the data.

You could try the freezer trick if the drive is indeed dead. Apparently you can put the hard drive in the freezer and then take it out and quickly try to extract your data from it. IIRC this is a one shot deal though and then the drive will be fully dead.

The one thing I have learned to back up carefully is my photos. I lost them all at one point and it was devastating. Ever since then I always keep them in 2 places.