Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Philadelphia is 1st major American city with soda tax
6-16-2016

http://wishtv.com/2016/06/16/philadelphi...-soda-tax/

Philadelphia became the first major American city with a soda tax on Thursday despite a multimillion-dollar campaign by the beverage industry to block it.

The City Council gave final approval to a 1.5 cent-per-ounce tax on sugary and diet beverages. The tax is set to take effect Jan. 1.

The tax will be levied on distributors. If they pass it entirely on to consumers, the cost of a 12-ounce can of soda would go up 18 cents.

A six-pack of 16-ounce bottles would go up $1.44.

Those extra charges would be much higher than the sales taxes imposed on soda by many states and some other cities.
That will fix those Soda Thugs
Yay, deterring sugar consumption to halt the obesity epidemic.
(06-17-2016, 08:51 PM)SteelCrysis Wrote: Yay, deterring sugar consumption to halt the obesity epidemic.

Huh

How does a tax on 0 calorie soda fight obesity?
Sugar. Plenty of sodas have sugar. Sugar causes fat. The Australian paradox is under fire: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-13/th...dy/7319518
(06-17-2016, 10:21 PM)SteelCrysis Wrote: Sugar. Plenty of sodas have sugar. Sugar causes fat. The Australian paradox is under fire: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-13/th...dy/7319518

Quote:The City Council gave final approval to a 1.5 cent-per-ounce tax on sugary and diet beverages. The tax is set to take effect Jan. 1.

This tax is wrong on so many levels.

A. Diet soda have 0-10 calories. Everything you put in your mouth has more than that except water and air, those things aren't taxed.

B. People have the right to eat or drink whatever they want, to gain or lose weight as they see fit. (or unfit) What's next? Tax on posting on the internet because we should all be out jogging instead of doing this? Got to fight obesity! Lack of sleep causes weight gain, better tax it and monitor people's sleep. Drinking liquor causes weight gain, tax it more. Etc ad infinitum.

C. If the argument is "obesity costs society money through health insurance" so do diabetics, autistics, variety of dangerous hobbies, people with sedentary lives, etc ad infinitum.

Supposed to be a free country here where you can do whatever you want as long as it's legal and doesn't affect anyone else's life. This is a slippery slope.
Another problem:

"Sir, I'm sorry but we'll have to tax you for the fried seafood platter. Your wife is OK with her lettuce and no dressing, water with lemon. We advise you to eat healthier sir. We'll also have to tax you for that pizza the government's oven cam caught you making Saturday night. Society will NOT tolerate your unhealthy eating habits any longer!"

The only thing I "like" about this tax is it's one of few taxes the poor have to pay. Mostly they just pile more on property owners and people who earn a decent living.
There are way more unhealthy foods out there compared to soda or sugary foods. This is a slippery slope. What's next? A tax on bacon? Do we really need the government controlling what we eat? If it's that bad why not just take it a step further and ban it completely from being sold? I don't see the big deal about sugar, personally. Actually ice cream is the most unheathy food that you can eat AFAIK. If they are going to tax something maybe they should tax ice cream. I just think this is ludicrous. We pay enough tax. Pretty soon we won't be able to eat. Rolleyes
In Philly we call this the baby sitting tax.

Its made for those certain people that have too many kids and no fathers.
Its set up for the "you know whos" of our city.
The money goes to help with pre schools, yea right! Funny most of the city already gets 900$ a month to pay for a baby sitter if your on welfare.

First it was the 2$ a pack cigarette tax 2 years ago, that killed every small business near the city border, now this shit.

They keep finding new ways to support the monkeys that JUST DONT WANT TO WORK!
They should give the money to help curb the heroin epidemic that's killing people, but that's how most of the city makes there money, drug dealing, don't want to hurt "THOSE PEOPLE", they wont be able to afford their new fancy clothes or cars and live in a roach infested getto.  

Soon this city will be the new Detroit.

sorry for the rant but I have a house IN the city and on the border of the city and I see it first hand.
It must be hard living in Philly. The Blue Jays swept into town this week and the poor Fanatic, I thought he was going to have a bird watching the Phillies lose so badly. I will say that I was impressed to see the Phillies honoring Canada during the series though. I never thought I would see the day. I remember in 1993 the US marines brought out the Canadian flag upside down. Last year the umpires botched the game so badly in the playoffs there was nearly a riot at Rogers Centre. And now you guys have to pay tax on your soda. Pity. Angel
(06-18-2016, 08:52 AM)SickBeast Wrote: It must be hard living in Philly.  The Blue Jays swept into town this week and the poor Fanatic, I thought he was going to have a bird watching the Phillies lose so badly.  I will say that I was impressed to see the Phillies honoring Canada during the series though.  I never thought I would see the day.  I remember in 1993 the US marines brought out the Canadian flag upside down.  Last year the umpires botched the game so badly in the playoffs there was nearly a riot at Rogers Centre.  And now you guys have to pay tax on your soda.  Pity.  Angel

this city seriously sucks , I have lived here for over forty six years and watched it crumble.
My whole entire family did live in the city limits at one point now there is one left.
The only reason I stay is because every family member/friend I ever had lives near me.

Every neighborhood that was decent 20 years ago with 2 or 3 hundred thousand dollar houses are now worth $40,000 and are collecting no tax revenue. That's the problem and it wont be fixed, it will get worse until the city is bankrupt.

The soda tax is just a temporary influx of cash that they will use to give THOSE people more free shit.
I actually thought Philly was a beautiful city when I visited it about 10 years ago. It did have huge slums but the nice parts were really nice and clean and I found the people friendly. Philly has a very nice downtown.
(06-18-2016, 09:03 AM)SickBeast Wrote: I actually thought Philly was a beautiful city when I visited it about 10 years ago.  It did have huge slums but the nice parts were really nice and clean and I found the people friendly.  Philly has a very nice downtown.

South Philly , the Italian section has been overrun. West Philly is a freaking ZOO. North Philly is a freaking shooting gallery. Center city has small sections that are wealthy but who want to walk 5 blocks from your house and get mugged?

Far northeast section is the last of the good people but is under direct attack as I type.
It will fall in the next 10 years though and then its over, the city will be lost.

http://www.pewtrusts.org/~/media/legacy/...gespdf.pdf
You guys have race problems in the USA. We have them here in Canada too but it isn't nearly as bad. Just reading your posts, Happy Medium, I can tell how bitter you are. It's pretty sad if that's the way things really are down there. You guys need to find a way to make things work together, regardless of people's race. I don't know what the answer is. I just know that where I live, people live together in harmony regardless of their race.
The fans are nasty: http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas...elphia.asp
Oh the irony:

The poor aren't a problem just in Philadelphia, and they have been a problem for a very long time. I saw a play from the 1800s some year ago wherein the idealistic daughter asked her slum lord father why he didn't fix up the slums so they would have a better place to live. He replied that if he did this they couldn't afford the apartments anymore.

I've said this before but I truly believe it:

The loss of living wage manufacturing jobs for the poor has brought about all of the problems. They didn't mind working for a decent wage back in the 60s/70s, they want the same things we all want. They just don't want to work hard for $8/hour when a decent car costs $25,000..
Can't people just load up on soda in the suburbs and just bring it back into Philly? 1.5 cents per ounce is a heavy tax. It means that a 2L bottle of pop will now cost $2 instead of $1. It doubles the price.