Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Avast Acquires AVG For $1.3 Billion To Create Security Software Giant
7-7-2016

Avast Acquires AVG For $1.3 Billion To Create Security Software Giant

Avast will pay $25 in cash for each of AVG's outstanding ordinary shares, in a deal amounting to around $1.3 billion. Avast said that it's acquiring AVG to "gain scale, technological depth and geographical breadth" and so it can "take advantage of emerging growth opportunities in internet security as well as organizational efficiencies."

"We are in a rapidly changing industry, and this acquisition gives us the breadth and technological depth to be the security provider of choice for our current and future customers," said Vince Steckler, CEO of Avast. "Combining the strengths of two great tech companies, both founded in the Czech Republic and with a common culture and mission, will put us in a great position to take advantage of the new opportunities ahead, such as security for the enormous growth in IoT." The boards of both companies have approved the acquisition. However, AVG's shareholders still need to approve the deal, which Avast expects to happen between September and October 2016.
I switched to Avast years ago. AVG got full of advertising pop ups.
Avast was great for a while, but on several of my pc's, the software became insanel bloated after a while, slowing the boot up and prescanning app launches to a seriously severe crawl.  It even made SSD's feel as slow as 5400rpm drives.

Now im no longer using antivirus programs except for MS Defender that comes with Win 8 and 10.  Yet i still find the antimalware programs to be essential for security - something that not even Avast could ever come close to taking care of.  My kids still click on some fishing crap.
Avast, pc and phones
Windows Defender is actually pretty good and it doesn't slow down your system as much as lot of the other applications. I just use it along with Malwarebytes for the odd scan. I don't do anything risky with my computer so I don't worry too much about that stuff. I found both AVG and Avast to be bloated and not very good when I tried them back in the day.
(11-03-2016, 01:31 PM)Davidsmith150 Wrote: Avast are still a good antivirus. Work in all the windows and deleted trojan and heavy virus in a minute.

Why are you resurrecting an old thread with a pointless post that also contains a spam/advertising link?!
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(11-03-2016, 05:09 PM)gstanford Wrote:
(11-03-2016, 01:31 PM)Davidsmith150 Wrote: Avast are still a good antivirus. Work in all the windows and deleted trojan and heavy virus in a minute.

Why are you resurrecting an old thread with a pointless post that also contains a spam/advertising link?!

This time I edited your post deliberately GStan. The link you quoted came up as a malicious site, so I purged the spammer and edited his spam out of your post.

Thanks for pointing out the suspicious link. I read the post and thought, "Boring, but whatever.".
There was no need to edit my post for me. I would have done so myself.

I remind you once again that as a moderator here you aren't permitted to edit/delete/alter other peoples posts.

Thanks for purging the spammer though.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(11-03-2016, 05:48 PM)gstanford Wrote: There was no need to edit my post for me.  I would have done so myself.

I remind you once again that as a moderator here you aren't permitted to edit/delete/alter other peoples posts.

Thanks for purging the spammer though.

It had a link to malware in it, that is all I removed. Your helpful post is untouched.