Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GTX 1080 Ti On The Way
https://www.techpowerup.com/225849/nvidi...liday-2016
Quote:NVIDIA is giving finishing touches to its next enthusiast-segment graphics card based on the "Pascal" architecture, the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti. Its specifications were allegedly screengrabbed by a keen-eyed enthusiast snooping around NVIDIA website, before being redacted. The specs-sheet reveals that the GTX 1080 Ti is based on the same GP102 silicon as the TITAN X Pascal, but is further cut-down from it. Given that the GTX 1080 is unflinching from its $599-$699 price-point, with some custom-design cards even being sold at over $800, the GTX 1080 Ti could either be positioned around the $850-mark, or be priced lower, disrupting currently overpriced custom GTX 1080 offerings. By pricing the TITAN X Pascal at $1200, NVIDIA appears to have given itself headroom to price the GTX 1080 Ti in a way that doesn't cannibalize premium GTX 1080 offerings.

The GTX 1080 Ti is carved out of the GP102 silicon by disabling 4 out of 30 streaming multiprocessors, resulting in 3,328 CUDA cores. The resulting TMU count is 208. The card could retain its ROP count of 96. The card will be endowed with 12 GB of GDDR5 memory across the chip's 384-bit wide memory interface, instead of GDDR5X on the TITAN X Pascal. This should yield 384 GB/s of memory bandwidth, significantly lesser than the 480 GB/s bandwidth the TITAN X Pascal enjoys, with its 10 Gbps memory chips. The GPU is clocked at 1503 MHz, with 1623 MHz GPU Boost. The card's TDP is rated at 250W, same as the TITAN X Pascal.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
Nice- my step up expired yesterday. Rolleyes

Eh, I don't game on anything any longer, and Rollo Jr play CS GO, so I'm guessing the 980Ti Classified is sufficient for that.

This launch pisses me off TBH.

Back in May I told my son I would buy him the new Titan if it came out for $1000 or $1099 like the last Titans, but they launch the mid range card $700.

I consider this a rip off of a high order but nonetheless I try pretty hard to get ripped off and can't even FIND a 1080 to buy.

So I buy the 980 Ti Classified, figuring I can always buy the Titan on Step Up, at least until they launch it at $1200. Which I consider a rip off.

You know what? If they price this Ti at $1000 (like I think they're going to) I'm going to skip this gen altogether.

As I don't even game anymore, I have a hard time caring any longer.
http://www.pcgamer.com/our-take-on-the-g...0-ti-leak/
Quote:Whether the information accidentally trickled onto Nvidia's site or not, this is very likely not the final specs for GTX 1080 Ti. I haven't heard any launch date plans from Nvidia (I couldn't say that if I had!), but then the Titan X sort of came out of nowhere so they might call me next week for a surprise announcement. Barring that, there have been several other 'leaks' of GTX 1080 Ti specs, and it's not too difficult to guess that one of them will eventually prove accurate.

Using GP102 is a given, and disabling some of the SM clusters is expected as well. Nvidia followed this same pattern with the GTX 980 Ti where they disabled two SMs (256 CUDA cores) on GM200 compared to the fully enabled GTX Titan X. In theory that should have resulted in about nine percent lower performance, but in practice the difference between those two GPUs is often margin of error (1-2 percent). The question is how many SM clusters will Nvidia disable this round, and the answer to that likely depends as much on AMD as anything.

The new Titan X sports 3,584 cores, or 28 SM clusters, but even that isn't the full GP102 chip. Nvidia's upcoming Quadro P6000 uses GP102's full 30 SMs with 3,840 cores, for example. The Quadro P6000 also has 24GB of 9Gbps GDDR5X memory, so 12GB of 10Gbps GDDR5X seems far more likely for 1080 Ti. And don't tell me that Nvidia is worried about hurting sales of the Titan X, because that wasn't a problem when they launched the GTX 980 Ti at $649 and basically killed off any sane reason to buy the $999 GTX Titan X. So what's the AMD connection?

If we go back to the first GTX Titan GPU, launched in February 2013, Nvidia used their GK110 chip (first seen in the Quadro K6000—sound familiar?), only with one SMX disabled. At the time, Nvidia had the fastest and second fastest GPUs for gaming, and they weren't in any hurry to reduce prices. It wasn't until October of 2013 that AMD finally had a viable competitor to the GTX 780 and Titan.

When AMD launched their first Hawaii GPU, the R9 290X, they laid claim to the title of the fastest gaming GPU, beating out the GTX Titan in most games. Nvidia's response came one month later with the GTX 780 Ti, which had half the memory of the GTX Titan (and 'slow' FP64 support) but included the fully enabled GK110 chip, along with higher clocks, all at a lower price. Nvidia closed the performance gap, and even if they didn't outright win, they at least had a viable claim to the throne.

Back to the present, we know that AMD is prepping Vega 10 for release—it might make it out in 2016, but 'early' 2017 is more probable. Whether they end up calling it the RX 490, RX Fury, or something else isn't important; Vega will come out, and it could be a performance monster. Best indications are it will have 16GB of HBM2 and 4,096 cores, with higher clocks and significantly better performance than Fury X.

Nvidia spoiled the launch of the Fury X by releasing the GTX 980 Ti. They had more memory, overall better performance (even if there are a few cases where Fury X beat the 980 Ti), and the cost of manufacturing GM200 is significantly lower than Fiji. Looking at GP102 and Vega, assuming the rumors are anywhere close to accurate, Nvidia is going to try to do the same again with the 1080 Ti.

If Vega 10 proves to be significantly faster than the Titan X—and don't kid yourself, these companies know each other's plans better than we do—Nvidia could use a fully enabled GP102 with 3,840 cores, and they might do this even if it results in a card that's faster and cheaper than the current Titan X (see 780 Ti). On the other hand, if Vega ends up falling somewhere between the 1080 and the Titan X (which is my bet), we'll see something closer to the above 'leaked' specs with 3,328, 3,456, or perhaps 3,584 cores.

The decision on whether to use 8Gbps GDDR5 or 10 Gbps GDDR5X has already been made, and if Nvidia is actually using GDDR5, they might think they can beat AMD's best shot. Using GDDR5 and not GDDR5X is a bit odd, but considering Titan X is 12GB GDDR5X, Nvidia doesn't have too many options. 6GB GDDR5X would be less than the 1080's 8GB GDDR5X, so 12GB GDDR5 is a potential middle ground.

Assuming the above is correct (or close enough to it), we're looking at 30 percent more CUDA cores and 20 percent more bandwidth than the GTX 1080. The 1080 Ti would still be a beast, and most likely performance will be very close to the Titan X. The 250W TDP limit might also come into play, as it did with the 980 Ti and GTX Titan X.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
About the ONLY thing that keeps me from buying a Vega just to "vote with my wallet" is the fact I have a Gsync monitor.

Personal prediction:

A. AMD competes, and prices fall.

B. AMD doesn't compete (more likely) and NVIDIA's attempt to shift the price points up $200 kills computer gaming.

It's a risky move on their part. If they drive people to consoles, they may not ever come back.

We're either seeing the shift to a new pricing structure or the end of PC gaming.
How could Vega be a pascal titan competitor?

Let's be real.

Its not making sense to me. Polaris is more than half of the 4000sp vega. If 2 polaris chips was as fast as the pascal titan, it would still be hard to imagine. 4000sp vega is significantly less..polaris x2 is 30% more cores.

Architectural improvements that would be needed to close that gap alone would be an extremely large order. Like, on the levels of unrealistic and unreasonable. But even if by some special powers amd manages such heavenly and super strengths..out of the blue..its still not anywhere near enough.

2 polaris chips would not be a competitor for the titan polaris nor the 1080ti. And the Vega has a tall order to match the power of 2 polaris with a huge deficit in sp cores. Vega, seems to me, a struggle and will compete with the 1080.

Amd is at a wall in mghz and power consumption. A 4000sp vega makes sense based on the power consumption of polars. The power saved by scratching the 256bit bus is probably half of what they gained when they dropped the 512 from hawaii. It adds up for me, the 4000sp is the limit determined by power limits. Vega will use upwards of 250watts, have 4000sp and clocks wont be much different than that of polaris.
Ocre is the true voice of reason when it comes to AMD.
(09-19-2016, 05:10 AM)ocre Wrote: How could Vega be a pascal titan competitor?

Let's be real.

Its not making sense to me. Polaris is more than half of the 4000sp vega.  If 2 polaris chips was as fast as the pascal titan, it would still be hard to imagine.  4000sp vega is significantly less..polaris x2 is 30% more cores.  

Architectural improvements that would be needed to close that gap alone would be an extremely large order.  Like, on the levels of unrealistic and unreasonable.  But even if by some special powers amd manages such heavenly and super strengths..out of the blue..its still not anywhere near enough.

2 polaris chips would not be a competitor for the titan polaris nor the 1080ti.  And the Vega has a tall order to match the power of 2 polaris with a huge deficit in sp cores. Vega, seems to me, a struggle and will compete with the 1080.

Amd is at a wall in mghz and power consumption.  A 4000sp vega makes sense based on the power consumption of polars.  The power saved by scratching the 256bit bus is probably half of what they gained when they dropped the 512 from hawaii.  It adds up for me, the 4000sp is the limit determined by power limits.  Vega will use upwards of 250watts, have 4000sp and clocks wont be much different than that of polaris.

Everything you say makes sense, but I said "AMD competes" not "AMD beats Titan P".

If AMD can bring ~1080 DX11 performance, and better DX12 performance, for $499 it shakes up the landscape of the market.

That would be legit high end competition that would bring 1080 to the $500 they should have launched for, and might get the 1080Ti to $750 or $799..

In the absence of this part at that price point I think we'll see $900/$999 as 1080Ti price points.
AMD is going to hit a heat and perhaps a power wall when it comes to Vega. Polaris already runs hot. Cram in that many cores and it's a recipe for disaster. If you thought Hawaii was hot and loud, I would suggest that Vega will take it to another level. My prediction is that AMD is going to have to underclock the card quite a bit to keep the thermals in line, and by doing that the performance is going to really suffer. My prediction is that it will offer performance in between a GTX 1070 and a GTX 1080, and no better than that. And it won't overclock *at all*.
(09-19-2016, 07:15 AM)SickBeast Wrote: AMD is going to hit a heat and perhaps a power wall when it comes to Vega.  Polaris already runs hot.  Cram in that many cores and it's a recipe for disaster.  If you thought Hawaii was hot and loud, I would suggest that Vega will take it to another level.  My prediction is that AMD is going to have to underclock the card quite a bit to keep the thermals in line, and by doing that the performance is going to really suffer.  My prediction is that it will offer performance in between a GTX 1070 and a GTX 1080, and no better than that.  And it won't overclock *at all*.

It will be an overclockers dream SB, just like Fury X. Rolleyes

Eh, I'm hoping respins are going to bring 1080 level performance to Vega so we see some price breaks.

It's hard for me to want to spend $1000 on the Ti when:
A. The last one was $650
B. I don't really game anymore (at least lately)
C. My son's computer gaming is nowhere close to taxing the 980Ti Classified
(09-19-2016, 09:11 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:
(09-19-2016, 07:15 AM)SickBeast Wrote: AMD is going to hit a heat and perhaps a power wall when it comes to Vega.  Polaris already runs hot.  Cram in that many cores and it's a recipe for disaster.  If you thought Hawaii was hot and loud, I would suggest that Vega will take it to another level.  My prediction is that AMD is going to have to underclock the card quite a bit to keep the thermals in line, and by doing that the performance is going to really suffer.  My prediction is that it will offer performance in between a GTX 1070 and a GTX 1080, and no better than that.  And it won't overclock *at all*.

Eh, I'm hoping respins are going to bring 1080 level performance to Vega so we see some price breaks.

A. The last one was $650

Honestly you were too impatient with that GTX 980 Ti purchase. The sales weren't that good. They basically charged 90% of the price of a GTX 1070 for 90% of the performance. But then you need to consider all the other advantages of the GTX 1070. It has more VRAM. It consumes *way* less power. It runs cool and quiet. It has a newer architecture that will be supported longer and will get better support in the drivers for new games.

Actually from the sound of it you probably would have done great with the GTX 1060 that I bought. I have become more of a casual gamer as I really just don't have the time as much any more. My son loves the card and it runs all his games flawlessly.

If Vega can match a GTX 1080 I will be shocked. Absolutely shocked. The only way it will do it is if they water cool it like they did with the Fury X.
(09-20-2016, 05:17 AM)SickBeast Wrote:
(09-19-2016, 09:11 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:

A. The last one was $650

Honestly you were too impatient with that GTX 980 Ti purchase.  The sales weren't that good.  They basically charged 90% of the price of a GTX 1070 for 90% of the performance.  But then you need to consider all the other advantages of the GTX 1070.  It has more VRAM.  It consumes *way* less power.  It runs cool and quiet.  It has a newer architecture that will be supported longer and will get better support in the drivers for new games.

Actually from the sound of it you probably would have done great with the GTX 1060 that I bought.  I have become more of a casual gamer as I really just don't have the time as much any more.  My son loves the card and it runs all his games flawlessly.

If Vega can match a GTX 1080 I will be shocked.  Absolutely shocked.  The only way it will do it is if they water cool it like they did with the Fury X.

GTX1060?? When I have a 4K monitor on that PC?!?

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVID...60/26.html

No thanks, even my stock 980Ti would have been 24% faster than that.

The Classified is around 40% faster than a GTX1060, and approximately equal to the 1070, based on this review's differences from stock 980 Ti and Titan X:

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphi...-0-review/

The 980 Ti Classified was actually a really good deal for me. I sold my reference 980Ti for more than I paid for the Classified, and "could" have stepped up at any time in the last 3 months had I deemed the stock 1070 or 1080 worth it.
The new 300W PCI-E 4.0 spec will allow AMD to use dual 8 pin with "stock" reference TDP of 300W as opposed to where they are supposed to be right now, which is 295 W on their PCI-E compatible reference cards when they are "adhering" to the current PCI-E 3.0 specification limit of 250W with 8+6 pins.

This will make room for 375W actual TDP reference cards, which will allow AMD to fudge in a Vega clocked high enough to reach or challenge 1080 (Non-Ti), perhaps prompting Nvidia to release the 1080 refresh with higher stock clocks (maybe higher voltage) and 12-14 gbps GDDR5x.

Unless AMD is planning on 550+ mm^2 on GloFo 14nm (lol?), 14nm on Samsung's fabs (Presumably with higher yields), or TSMC 16nm, it is highly unlikely they will have anything that will challenge Titan XP.

1080 Ti can be anything, as precise allocation of bins can be left to the last month or less before launch, as we see by how AMD did Fury binning (And to a lesser extent 290/x binning).

PS: Vega will be essentially unusable in DX11, as Fury X was, as it will have ~35%+ more peak vs peak flops than Fury X with likely ~35%+ peak vs peak more CPU overhead as a result.
(this is assuming the 3840 SP Vega, numbers will ofc be different if it's different than that).
(09-20-2016, 11:14 AM)24601 Wrote: <snip>

Excellent post. I never even thought about that. I seriously never considered that amd would out could run up to an astonishing 375watts.

A vega chip that uses that kind of power competing with 180w 1080 would be a site to see. That's the kind of progress we have all been looking for. /s

I am thinking back at how the forums went alive when pascal launched. The banging and bashing Nvidia and the 1080 got: "what pathetic results", "nvidia only got 80% better efficiency", "they cant even reach 2500mhz", "how lame", "polaris will obliterate the 1080", "nvidia should be embarrassed", "maybe jen Huang has been wearing his jackets too tight, starving his brain of oxygen"...lol

But on a serious note, AMD is in a real bad position. Its just not good. And I am not sure if a respin will do it. They need a pretty major overhaul. I really dont think the issue here is the node. Its been well documented that 3d transistors arent magical and it takes special and radical designing to get the true gains that it offers. I believe amd has become mostly reliant on automated chip designs and dont have the cash or capabilities for massive engineering hours.. I mean, every large chip has computer assisted automation in designing but there are many places that would benefit greatly by having real engineer teams working old school on the smallest level.
It seems a new node, with 3d transistors, would suffer if there was too much dependency in computer automated designing.

I do think that there is some issues here. Amd seems to have money problems and they have begun to cannibalize. As a chip maker, the budget cutting in engineering that effects chip designs is like burning a candle on both ends. And is catching up.

I have a hard time seeing amd catch up here. I really think all that is over. Imagine a race on the hwy where one vehicle gets a flat..
The "race" has been over for a while. Fury X was a fail, 290X launch was marred by the cheap hair dryer cooler.

I'm only hoping they can compete with 1080 vanilla because that might drive prices down $100..
(09-23-2016, 03:21 PM)ocre Wrote:
(09-20-2016, 11:14 AM)24601 Wrote: <snip>

Excellent post.  I never even thought about that.  I seriously never considered that amd would out could run up to an astonishing 375watts.

A vega chip that uses that kind of power competing with 180w 1080 would be a site to see. That's the kind of progress we have all been looking for. /s

I am thinking back at how the forums went alive when pascal launched.  The banging and bashing Nvidia and the 1080 got: "what pathetic results", "nvidia only got 80% better efficiency", "they cant even reach 2500mhz", "how lame", "polaris will obliterate the 1080", "nvidia should be embarrassed", "maybe jen Huang has been wearing his jackets too tight, starving his brain of oxygen"...lol

But on a serious note, AMD is in a real bad position.  Its just not good. And I am not sure if a respin will do it. They need a pretty major overhaul.  I really dont think the issue here is the node. Its been well documented that 3d transistors arent magical and it takes special and radical designing to get the true gains that it offers. I believe amd has become mostly reliant on automated chip designs and dont have the cash or capabilities for massive engineering hours.. I mean, every large chip has computer assisted automation in designing but there are many places that would benefit greatly by having real engineer teams working old school on the smallest level.
It seems a new node, with 3d transistors, would suffer if there was too much dependency in computer automated designing.  

I do think that there is some issues here. Amd seems to have money problems and they have begun to cannibalize.  As a chip maker, the budget cutting in engineering that effects chip designs is like burning a candle on both ends.  And is catching up.  

I have a hard time seeing amd catch up here. I really think all that is over.  Imagine a race on the hwy where one vehicle gets a flat..

Their GPU has barely changed since Tahiti. A few functional units changed like the geometry engine and the frame buffer compression. AMD claims polaris has a new command processor. The obligatory video engine changes.

Everyone should have seen the writing on the wall when GCN 1.1 and 1.2 were all developed explicitly for APU and Console usage.
Without any major changes in their shaders since 2012, it's obvious that they are simply riding the console wins out.
Polaris is PS4Pro, Vega is Scorpio. Etc.

Zen is really their last chance to be even slightly relevant outside of consoles.
You guys are spot on about AMD.
GTX 1080 Ti reportedly launching at CES 2017: https://www.techpowerup.com/226290/nvidi...ces-launch
(09-30-2016, 03:47 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote: GTX 1080 Ti reportedly launching at CES 2017: https://www.techpowerup.com/226290/nvidi...ces-launch

$899/$999 is my prediction in the wake of the collapse of AMD.
(09-30-2016, 03:47 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote: GTX 1080 Ti reportedly launching at CES 2017: https://www.techpowerup.com/226290/nvidi...ces-launch

Wow. TPU seems to be waking up. From the comments in this article
Quote:I have no problems with a discussion relating to the top offerings from NVidia and AMD even though it's purely rumour and speculation because it does directly relate to the topic, I draw lines around 680's and 7970's, architecture, performance and trends are changing and have changed and the point here is simply 3 or 4 people take over the place and talk about this nonsense completely taking over to the point where others struggle to actually talk about the actual news topic, it pushes people away because it becomes tiresome........ as I said, if 2 people want to argue over performance comparisons of 3 gen old cards fine, just not here, that's what the general forums and private messaging are for.

Posted on Sep 30th 2016, 14:28

These amd troopers have been running people away for yrs now
(10-01-2016, 09:27 AM)ocre Wrote:

Wow. TPU seems to be waking up. From the comments in this article  
Quote:I have no problems with a discussion relating to the top offerings from NVidia and AMD even though it's purely rumour and speculation because it does directly relate to the topic, I draw lines around 680's and 7970's, architecture, performance and trends are changing and have changed and the point here is simply 3 or 4 people take over the place and talk about this nonsense completely taking over to the point where others struggle to actually talk about the actual news topic, it pushes people away because it becomes tiresome........ as I said, if 2 people want to argue over performance comparisons of 3 gen old cards fine, just not here, that's what the general forums and private messaging are for.

Posted on Sep 30th 2016, 14:28

These amd troopers have been running people away for yrs now

The forums are in a bad position with the AMD troopers.

The websites are dependent on PR for their reviews.

Think about it. If some average Joe like Apoppin tried to actually write a video card review without the press kit it would read something like:

"NVIDIA's new card is very nice indeed. It has a good solid feel to it, I could still hear the phone ring, it didn't set my case on fire, and it allowed me to play colorful video games. I especially liked the picture of a busty woman in a chrome bikini riding a polar bear while brandishing a sword on the box. I give this card an A+!"

It would be the same for me, and I have university degrees and bush league tech skills people actually pay me money for.

The "reviewers" don't know their ass from a hole in the ground about chip engineering or how it interacts with game code, they're just paid to parrot press kits. (so they depend on the hardware companies for their livelihoods)

On the other side of it, they know tech forums are a dying phenomenon because forums aren't how the young interact. Forum traffic is key to maintaining that lifeblood advertising revenue, and their "audience" for the hardware companies. The AMD troopers give the illusion of a vibrant forum full of conversations, which is very desirable to the tech sites. The troopers post every day ad nauseum, average 15-30 year old coveted market demographic- not so much.

There was a time when sites like TPU could say, "Hold on there! We are an INDEPENDENT REVIEW SITE, we're doing you hardware folks a FAVOR giving you access to our media outlet!".

Now it's more like, "Fuck! I have this mortgage payment and Monster.com and Indeed.com don't seem to have any jobs for guys that can run a video game benchmark or paraphrase a press kit. I guess I have to bite my tongue and watch the AMD troopers shill."

The last side is it is a HUGE problem for the video hardware companies as well. They are multi million and multi billion dollar firms with no real advertising venue other than the tech sites. NVIDIA once asked me for ideas on other marketing venues where their ad money would reach a market with a high concentration of potential customers and I had no freaking clue. Think about it- outside the websites and the gaming events they host, where would you find a high concentration of people that want to spend $500 on a GPU?
In video games
https://www.techpowerup.com/227829/nvidi...0gb-memory
Quote:Air-cargo shipping manifest descriptions point to the possibility that NVIDIA's upcoming high-end graphics card based on the GP102 silicon, the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, could feature 10 GB of memory, and not the previously thought of 12 GB, which would be the same amount as the TITAN X Pascal. NVIDIA apparently is getting 10 GB to work over a 384-bit wide memory interface, likely using chips of different densities. The GTX 1080 Ti is also rumored to feature 3,328 CUDA cores, 208 TMUs, and 96 ROPs.
https://www.techpowerup.com/228788/nvidi...up-program
An interesting complication is that EVGA is already running a similar program.
Quote:In a LinkedIn job post for Senior Marketing Manager, NVIDIA has seemingly confirmed the launch of a Ti version of their GTX 1080 graphics card. The relevant line is a simple one: "980 Ti users get first spot in line for 1080 Ti pre-orders, or Step Up offer".
However, a move such as this also has the potential to open the proverbial can of worms: what about current owners of GTX 1070 or GTX 1080 graphics cards? Should they have the same right to participate in such an upgrade program? Or maybe even more, since this is a program designed to reward loyalty, and they've already acquired the company's latest and greatest (at the time)? Only time will tell, but I wager rivers of digital ink will run under this particular bridge, it NVIDIA does indeed decide to build upon it.

Yet another point of contention may be the fact that NVIDIA's add-in board partners, such as EVGA, ASUS or MSI, just to name a few, will see this upgrade program as a way for NVIDIA to keep sales of their products in-house (admitting that this offer will only be available towards an eventual acquisition of their Founder's Edition 1080 Ti graphics cards). This is definitely not a slight issue either, since any unbalancing acts towards the status quo are sure to have repercussions in the AIBs' relations with the company.
https://www.techpowerup.com/229541/nvidi...t-pax-east
Quote:After disappointing scores of potential buyers by skipping a GTX 1080 Ti announcement at CES - which could have been a last-moment decision on the company's part when AMD failed to make any relevant VEGA announcement - it looks like NVIDIA has chosen the grand stage of PAX East, which begins at March 10th, as the place to carry the previously-confirmed addition to their Pascal line of GPUs.

This information (which should be taken with a maybe unhealthy grain of salt) came to light by way of an MSI (NVIDIA's AIB partner) representative, which also mentioned that the 1080 Ti would be available from board partners (including, naturally, MSI itself) at time of launch.
http://www.pcgamer.com/whats-happening-w...x-1080-ti/
Quote:What I'm saying, then, is that in my view there's a very good chance the GTX 1080 Ti isn't coming out in the next month or two, and more likely it's four to five months out. This is what happens when there's no serious competition at the high-end of the graphics card market. For now, AMD's fastest GPU remains the Fury X, which sits slightly below the performance level of the GTX 1070 and 980 Ti in average performance across a large suite of games. The GTX 1080 is comfortably ahead by 30 percent, and the GTX Titan XP is another 25 percent above that.

AMD's Vega sounds promising, though I'm still more than a little concerned about power and efficiency (Vega 10 appears to be a ~275W part based on what we know of the Radeon Instinct MI25). Estimating by the 25 TFLOPS number, Vega should land relatively close to the Titan XP in performance—potentially faster if AMD's architectural changes have a significant impact, but more likely close to parity. Considering the GTX 780 Ti was faster than the original Titan and cost less, and the 980 Ti was within two percent of the Titan X and cost less, there's a very good chance the 1080 Ti will be very close to Titan XP and cost around $700-$800.

So if you're waiting for the GTX 1080 Ti, or AMD's Vega, best guess right now is a near concurrent launch of both GPUs sometime around May/June. And if you want to know how they'll perform, best guess is a few percent slower than the Titan XP—maybe a few percent faster from AMD if things pan out. That might not be the most exciting news in the world, but a 25 percent improvement over GTX 1080 performance one year after launch is a lot better than the 5-10 percent increase in performance we get on the CPU side. Or you could just drop your settings to 1080p medium and game happily on significantly less expensive and/or older hardware.

Here's to hoping AMD and/or Nvidia prove me wrong on the timing, but I'm not holding my breath.
http://techreport.com/news/31448/nvidia-...-be-missed
Quote:If you've been holding out hope for a Pascal-powered version of the GeForce GTX 980 Ti, you might want to skip your afternoon coffee. Nvidia sent out invitations today to a "GeForce GTX Gaming Celebration" event in San Francisco on February 28 during the Game Developers Conference. The invitation to the event talks about "amazing surprises," and ends with a seemingly-portentous "you won't want to miss this" declaration. To be clear, there's nothing explicitly mentioned in the invitation other than "an evening of awesome PC gaming, hardware, tournaments, and of course free food." That doesn't stop us from imagining what will happen, though, and the office betting pool is running good odds on an unveiling of the rumored GTX 1080 Ti.

Nvidia has a history of launching new graphics cards at relatively innocuous events, and it's been a while since the GeForce GTX 1080 first saw the light of day. Ever since the Kepler architecture, Nvidia has released the high-end cards first, and let loose the range-topping enthusiast-class card much later. The timing is also suspiciously close to the rumored launch date of AMD's new Ryzen CPUs. AMD and Nvidia are bitter rivals, and it wouldn't be the first time that one of these companies tried to steal the other's thunder. Suffice to say, the time is ripe for such an announcement.
1080 Ti confirmed: http://techreport.com/news/31476/nvidia-...tx-1080-ti
Quote:A pretty big change to GeForce.com today practically confirms that an offical announcement of the hotly-anticipated GeForce GTX 1080 Ti is coming in less than a week. A countdown clock with a curious emphasis on TIME welcomes visitors, and a quick dig through the page's source code reveals the background image file names that tip off the entire game:
  • gdc-2017/GTX1080Ti_Countdown__Hero_1920x1080_h264_2mbps.mp4
  • gdc-2017/GTX1080Ti_Countdown_WebM_2kbps_variable_vp8.webm
Price will be interesting this time.

$699 and a price shift downward on the stack and they sell all they can make of anything 1060-1080Ti.

$799 and I think they'll see a shorter sales run, and more wait and see for Vega.

If they do what I "think" they will do ($899-$999) the fifteen guys on the forums who always buy such cards will and the rest of the world will not.

It doesn't matter that the performance justifies it, the market is just small for $1000 video cards.

Look at GStan- he's been bargaining with SB on APJ over which one has enough room on their credit card to buy a 1060.

I learned my lesson on the $1000 parts with my Titan and 990X, no way jose'. (and I could buy one with cash any week of the year)
Quote:Look at GStan- he's been bargaining with SB on APJ over which one has enough room on their credit card to buy a 1060.
APJ?
(02-23-2017, 01:01 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote:
Quote:Look at GStan- he's been bargaining with SB on APJ over which one has enough room on their credit card to buy a 1060.
APJ?
apoppin's proper justice.  Angel
SickBeast lives in Canada, I don't. That is why I asked if you must know. Amazon Australia is pretty much a book-store only.

I have the credit (and more, much more) to pay for the card, that part isn't an issue at all.

Don't worry though Trollo I wouldn't expect you to understand. Just like you can't understand my VW engine analogy. I never said that you drive one, but your moral and ethical behaviour is a close match.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(02-23-2017, 12:23 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: Price will be interesting this time.

$699 and a price shift downward on the stack and they sell all they can make of anything 1060-1080Ti.

$799 and I think they'll see a shorter sales run, and more wait and see for Vega.

If they do what I "think" they will do ($899-$999) the fifteen guys on the forums who always buy such cards will and the rest of the world will not.

It doesn't matter that the performance justifies it, the market is just small for $1000 video cards.

Look at GStan- he's been bargaining with SB on APJ over which one has enough room on their credit card to buy a 1060.

I learned my lesson on the $1000 parts with my Titan and 990X, no way jose'. (and I could buy one with cash any week of the year)

Except for the idiotic part about SB & myself scrambling for enough credit (which I addressed in the previous post) I agree on nvidia's pricing. It is currently too steep and people won't pay it no matter the performance on offer.

I *could* trot out and purchase a tricked out 1080 right now from a local store if I wanted, out of savings, not credit (my "credit" card is actually a debit card, its spending power depends on my savings balance, not how well I was able to chat up the banks loans officer).
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
I can't even be bothered responding to Rollo. Rollo you no longer exist to me. Have a great life. Maybe you can talk to yourself in an empty void.
[
(02-23-2017, 01:01 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote:
APJ?

ApoppinsPart-timeJob

The website he started to cheat Dave out of half of the ad change.
(02-23-2017, 05:16 AM)SickBeast Wrote: I can't even be bothered responding to Rollo.  Rollo you no longer exist to me.  Have a great life.  Maybe you can talk to yourself in an empty void.

Oh noes! You won't say snotty, childish things to me anymore?

Meh, go borrow some money from your lodger and get a six pack, drown your sorrows.
(02-23-2017, 04:55 AM)gstanford Wrote: SickBeast lives in Canada, I don't.  That is why I asked if you must know.  Amazon Australia is pretty much a book-store only.

I have the credit (and more, much more) to pay for the card, that part isn't an issue at all.

Don't worry though Trollo I wouldn't expect you to understand.  Just like you can't understand my VW engine analogy.  I never said that you drive one, but your moral and ethical behaviour is a close match.

I understood your use of the logical fallacy of false analogy for what it is.

Rather than pointing out your false premise, I opted to a. disrespect the "superior" Yaris b. note I don't know anything about VWs because I drive mucho macho grande pickup trucks.

Tongue

It's here. The specs:
GP102
3584 Cuda Cores
11GB GDDR5X Memory
352bit Memory Bus
3 DP1.4
1 HDMI 1.3
12B Transistors
1.6Ghz Boost (2GHz OC)
28 SMs, 128 cores each
224 Texture Units
6 GPCs
88 ROP

Edit: The Founders Edition 1080 Ti will have no price premium and will be priced at MSRP, as JayzTwoCents mentioned.
Looks like even Nvidia got tired of waiting for the vaporware that is VEGA.
(02-23-2017, 12:23 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: Price will be interesting this time.

I was shocked to see the $699, although I suppose with AMD saying Vega beats 1080 and is going to cost $450 the price adjustment through the line makes sense.

I bought the EVGA 1080FTW for $580 AMIR 30 days ago, so if the 1080Ti makes EVGAs Step Up list in the next 60 days I'll be getting one.

If not, I'm OK with the 1080FTW for now. It definitely handles my 3440 X 1440 resolution fine. (and my guess is it would work pretty well with my 4K GSync monitor as well)
Nvidia's 980 Ti to 1080 Ti step up program is missing: https://www.techpowerup.com/231140/whate...-programme