Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bought a new smart phone
I've been using an ancient old Samsung Star S5233S feature phone since 2009 and finally bought a replacement.

Just like the Samsung back in its day I limited my spend to $99 Australian and went with a phone that uses prepaid, not postpaid plans (I rarely make phone calls on mobile, but receive a fair few, I use SMS a lot).

The phone I picked up is known as the Alcatel onetouch Yaris 5 in Australia.  It is offered through Boost Mobile, but I just popped my old Telstra SIM in since Boost is a mvno that uses Telstra infrastucture and networks.

http://boost.com.au/view-5-prepaid-mobile.aspx

In America the phone is known as the ALCATEL onetouch Fierce 2 and offered through Metro PCS

https://www.metropcs.com/phones/details/...38274.html

Europe and most of the rest of the world know the phone as the Alcatel onetouch Pop C7.

Anyway I am very impressed with it.  You get a lot of phone for your money and it is fast and I definitely appreciate the 5" screen (my eyes aren't getting any younger unfortunately).  I have used other phones at the same price point, but this seems to be the best of the bunch.  I've tried Huawei Y300 and a relative has a Samsung GALAXY Trend Plus, these are the same price as the Alcatel.  Telstra also offer an iPhone 5C 8gb for a ridiculous $529 australian dollars and it offers literally nothing but brand recognition over what the Alcatel does imo.

The phone has quad core a7 cpu's running at 1.3 ghz and 4gb built in flash memory but it has a uSD slot (and you can use capacities larger than 32gb by formatting them to something other than exFAT on a PC before installing in the phone, this causes the phone to offer to format the "damaged" card and in the process unlocks all available space above 32gb).  The phone can also mount external USB drives through its USB port.

Can't talk much about mobile data, I have it switched off since I have access to WiFi nearly everywhere I normally am.

A couple of youtube reviews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWVNMRIiiZ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul_eYLrJ59U

[Image: mobie.png]
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
Interesting how Alcatel got out of the switch business and now into the handset business.
Don't think I've ever used an Alcatel switch, but they sure know how to put out a decent cheap handset.

There is no way known I'd pay more than what I have, given what I was able to get for the money. Great bang for the buck.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
i think you got a steal

man you can get some nice phones for cheap these days. No wonder nvidia got out of the phone biz
(02-17-2015, 03:34 AM)ocre Wrote: i think you got a steal  

man you can get some nice phones for cheap these days.  No wonder nvidia got out of the phone biz
Yeah, there is no way known I'd pay $500AU or more for a flagship or near flagship phone considering what this little beauty is capable of at a fraction of the cost.

When I asked on a local forum about good value phones the Moto E was recommended. it cost more (half as much again) and had a lot less features than the Alcatel - no front camera, no removable battery, smaller screen, dual core instead of quad core. It was a bit of a joke, really.

I have to say, high end phones are significantly nicer than the low end ones. I just upgraded from a Moto g to an LG G3 and the difference is night and day. 3gb of ram vs 1gb. More than double the CPU power. Bigger and nicer screen. Amazing camera. The list goes on. I had to sign a contract but you're silly not to here in Canada. They gave me $1000 worth of incentives on a $1500 contract.
I just don't see what I would do in 3gb of memory that I can't in 1gb to be honest. I'm not a big multi-tasker on the phone and I don't have hundreds of apps going, just a small handful.

The alcatel already has a nice 5" screen, I don't think I want bigger on a phone.

The only thing that might tempt me to spend more is a phone with a significantly better camera included, something with a folded optics zoom lens for instance, but nobody has brought that to market yet (I know there are a couple with telescoping protruding lenses).

If you're just a casual user then a cheap phone is fine. I'm on my phone all the time and it's my main means of communication. I don't even use my home phone line. By having 3gb of ram, it basically lets you leave all the apps you use in memory all the time. They load up instantaneously when you need them. With 1gb of ram you can't run more than a few apps at a time in memory; it will constantly be swapping to the SSD.

Like I said, for me it was a no brainer. I pay $60/month over a 24 month contract which adds up to $1440. They gave me the G3 which is a $600 phone for free, plus they gave me $275 worth of Costco gift cards and an additional $100 that I could spend with the phone itself using NFC and a virtual wallet. Close to $1000 in incentives, I could not say no to that. Here in Canada they have crazy promotions on cellphones around Christmas and Boxing Day.
I'm definitely just a casual phone user. I much prefer being in front of a PC to get things done and usually that is where I am.

The phone is mainly for calls, SMS, certain emails, photos, diary management etc.

yeah, me to

but i do find myself on my phone more and more. Much more than i want to be, that is for sure