Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intel i7 CPU-Exclusive Game Content Causes Outrage, Reversal
http://www.polygon.com/2016/12/8/1388348...t-unlocked
Quote:The developers of Arizona Sunshine have not had a great day, and it was due to fan anger over previously undisclosed Intel i7-exclusive content in the game.

The controversy over two pieces of content in the game began with a post on the game’s Steam page, asking why one machine the player owned could play the horde mode in single-player and the other could not.

The developer responded to explain that two aspects of the game, the single-player Horde setting and Apocalyptic Mode, which is the game’s highest difficulty, were locked to machines running Intel’s i7 chip until March of next year.

“Working with Intel allowed us to create even more content than we originally planned, including these modes and the physics systems in the game, making Arizona Sunshine one of the richest VR experiences possible,” Vertigo Games wrote. “We want to give 5th, 6th and 7th gen Intel Core i7 owners first glimpse into these additional modes, but they’ll be available March 6, 2017 to everyone who owns the game.”

The fans revolted, with many demanding refunds and some replying with disgust at the previously unannounced exclusivity of seemingly large portions of the game.
Vertigo Games has since made an official statement on the matter. “It’s clear from your feedback many of you are not happy with the previously undisclosed modes being available only on certain higher end PCs,” they wrote on Steam. “You are most important to us, and we hear your comments. We are unlocking these modes immediately to all players, and we hope you enjoy them.” The patch has already been released to the public.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
Making 2nd class citizens of people is never a good thing.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/vertigo...33190.html
Quote:Vertigo’s quick response had two effects. Some people saw the change as a sign that the developer valued the communities' input. Others saw the speed at which the developer dropped the Core i7 requirement as confirmation that Vertigo Games did make a deal with Intel. The day after the game launched, there were still threads popping up decrying the “unforgivable” sin of taking an exclusivity deal.

The attitude of the community spurred Dean Hall, the creator of Day Z and the founder of Rocketwerkz Studio, to voice his opinion about the state of virtual reality development. The developer posted a long diatribe called “The Hard Truth About Virtual Reality Development,” in which he explains that “there is no money” in VR development and that subsidies are one of the only ways for developers to stay afloat in this early market.

Developers are taking a big risk by creating content for platforms that have less than a million potential customers. Even when devs support both the Rift and Vive platforms, their customer base is still relatively minuscule at this point, which makes it difficult to justify the investment necessary to produce AAA content. Subsidies make those investments possible. And palatable.
Ultimately, Vertigo Games didn't get into bed with Intel to line its pockets. Yes, Intel did help Vertigo Games out, by providing access to top tier hardware so that the developer could push the limits of what is possible in VR today. It's important to understand that Intel didn't pay to lock the game down for specific hardware (the jury's still out about the two extra modes). The developer’s full vision for Arizona Sunshine simply isn’t possible on lesser hardware, so the company pushed the recommended configuration in its marketing.
Vertigo Games shot for the moon with Arizona Sunshine, and we think that’s a good thing. Virtual reality content should push the limits of today’s CPUs. If we want to see robust content for VR in the future, we can’t afford to scare off developers who are willing to take a risk and raise the bar. Developers shouldn’t be scared to take promotional deals that will help bring content to fruition that may not otherwise see the light of day. There’s no reason to vilify a company for trying to make its game better for people that spent extra money on their PCs.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
I agree with the last post. Why do all the AMD owners and budget i3 owner get to throw the handbrake on development just because they are pissed off about developers actually using the power in i7's?! So what if intel paid and helped the developer?!
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(12-16-2016, 06:52 AM)gstanford Wrote: I agree with the last post.  Why do all the AMD owners and budget i3 owner get to throw the handbrake on development just because they are pissed off about developers actually using the power in i7's?!  So what if intel paid and helped the developer?!
I get what you're saying. But they didn't have to restrict the content to i7s only. They should have just let everyone have that content. There's a reason this is the first time we've ever heard of something like this happening: it doesn't make any sense.
The fact that it was an undisclosed exclusivity...

What the fudge???
ROFLMAO

Its a contradiction that makes all this a moronic cluster fuck. How does one benefit from exclusive content that is hidden so that only a gamer that had multiple systems might stumble across it. Its a terrible idea. I mean, other than this result of waves of people being pissed, I can think of another outcome that just means your game is not showing its best. People wouldve seen the lame version and thought thats it