Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The illusion of "unlimited data"
All the plans I see throttle speed at 22-24GB.

I asked my son how data went through his phone on WiFi in the last month- 115GB. So "unlimited data" wouldn't even last him a week.
That is a crazy amount of data over cellular network.

That is what fixed line wireless is designed for not the regular cellular system.
(03-13-2017, 08:44 AM)dmcowen674 Wrote: That is a crazy amount of data over cellular network.

That is what fixed line wireless is designed for not the regular cellular system.

That is his wifi, he uses 8-10 a month on cell network.
(03-13-2017, 06:06 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: All the plans I see throttle speed at 22-24GB.

I asked my son how data went through his phone on WiFi in the last month- 115GB. So "unlimited data" wouldn't even last him a week.

The telco's can't sell you wi-fi, they can sell you cellular data and with Ajit Pai heading up the FCC expect them to do everything they possibly can to discourage wi-fi use and encourage cellular, up to and including paying stadiums to turn their wi-fi off during the superbowl.

otherwise how will the poor money-starved hard done by telco's rake in even more obscene profits?! (and Mr Pai is chairman of the FCC to make that happen).
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(03-13-2017, 12:51 PM)gstanford Wrote:
(03-13-2017, 06:06 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: All the plans I see throttle speed at 22-24GB.

The telco's can't sell you wi-fi, they can sell you cellular data and with Ajit Pai heading up the FCC expect them to do everything they possibly can to discourage wi-fi use and encourage cellular, up to and including paying stadiums to turn their wi-fi off during the superbowl.

otherwise how will the poor money-starved hard done by telco's rake in even more obscene profits?!  (and Mr Pai is chairman of the FCC to make that happen).

The "unlimited" plans are a better deal, just not revolutionary. 22-24GB is still a lot of data and throttled free might be better than paid overages on a big plan.
My cable internet is pretty splotchy. The "60 MB" package is is all over the place.

I dont know how these internet providers get away with it. The higher the speed, the higher the variance.