Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apoppin takes credit for TechPowerUp
(03-20-2017, 08:52 AM)dmcowen674 Wrote: Hey guys remember the reason I stated ABT long before Apoppin came along?

Free speech reigns here was the Motto

People (ie Mods) banning people all over the place and telling people what they can and can't say or write.

I got banned for something stupid on AT.

So for 3 weeks I worked on setting up my own site and ABT was born.
Thanks for making this place and keeping it going. Thank
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
Beer2
Dave let me just say that you were awesome at ATF. They had no reason to ban you. No reason at all. It sounds political to me.
People go hard on either side of the fence with me.

If they like me fine but then you get haters and they hate hard, like Red that retired, Allisom, still going etc.

ATF is small Potatoes compared to what happened with that whacky state though.
(03-21-2017, 08:39 AM)dmcowen674 Wrote: People go hard on either side of the fence with me.

If they like me fine but then you get haters and they hate hard, like Red that retired, Allisom, still going etc.

What whacky state are you talking about?
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
Sickbeast,

I am not trying to change your opinion of rollo. You are free to think and feel the way you want to. Your reasons are your reasons. But we all can decide ultimately what we let bother us and what we let get to us. Its easy to apply feelings to sources, takes little effort and is quiet natural. I have found that the more times I allow myself to do such things, the more time and energy it takes away from other things in my life. Its my goal to enjoy the time I have. Your exhausted because your spending emotional energy that will just drain you. We can fall in a trap and condition our self to look for those outlets. That is the beginnings of bitterness and misery. But thats a completely deep conversation that is mildly related...if it's even somewhat.

I speak of group/mob think or "herd" as it might be put, mainly in the way that you naturally want to put me off simply because I dont cling to the hate on rollo beat down club. It even has offended you. This is my reason in saying anything, I just want you to realize and think about things a little.

We are all humans and imperfect. I have truly spent much of my life trying to better myself...mostly in the way that I think and see things. Its easy to fall into patterns. The worst thing about how we think is how little we analyze ourselves once we are grown enough to be able to. We often never see our own programming flaws we adopted as we grow up.

But the truth is, enlightenment is the greatest when one can break free from our self, to see our own flaws and traps. The negativity we see is usually our projection, even if there is a real source...its most likely, in most every case, amplified in our own minds.

I dont have anymore time, I wish I did but I got to go.
(03-21-2017, 09:16 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote: What whacky state are you talking about?
OK Dave, I got your PM.
(03-21-2017, 08:39 AM)dmcowen674 Wrote: People go hard on either side of the fence with me.

Dave can you please PM me about that "whacky state" also? I'm quite curious about what you guys are talking about. Thanks. Smile
(03-21-2017, 08:13 PM)SteelCrysis Wrote:
(03-21-2017, 09:16 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote: What whacky state are you talking about?
OK Dave, I got your PM.

Was that news to you? I thought everyone from AT knew about that.
(03-22-2017, 11:33 AM)dmcowen674 Wrote:
(03-21-2017, 08:13 PM)SteelCrysis Wrote:
OK Dave, I got your PM.

Was that news to you? I thought everyone from AT knew about that.

Dave I just read your PM.  Are you ok with us discussing what happened here on the ABT forum openly?  Or would you rather keep it private?
It's fine. Part of history.
(03-23-2017, 08:38 AM)dmcowen674 Wrote: It's fine. Part of history.

I think you really got a raw deal.  The only thing I can think of that they would be really unhappy about is the power consumption.  Computers consume a lot more power under load than they do during idle.  I'm not sure how many watts difference that would have been on the hardware back then.  But those watts all cost money, and it's the taxpayer's money.  It would have been different had you asked for approval.  However this is all flogging a dead horse and I'm quite sure you have learned your lesson from this and then some.  The punishment clearly did not fit the crime.  You should have been spoken to and asked to remove the screensaver.  Whoever your boss was is a real piece of work and they will have their day, believe me.

I have also faced my own injustices in my life, there are a couple that really stand out.  Sometimes people lie and do malicious things.  There are a lot of people out there that only care about themselves and they are quite happy to throw anyone that gets in their way under the bus.  It doesn't even phase them.  That's how and why a lot of the absolute worst people often wind up in positions of power or promoted.  They have done studies and a very high percentage of CEOs are narcissistic.  All they care about is their own ego.  Nobody else matters.  It's disgusting but unfortunately it's reality.  Talk to anyone who's worked in an office.  It happens everywhere.

It's really sad when the punishment does not fit the crime. And in this case in particular, no crime was committed. Dave I'm really sorry you had to go through all that. It must have been horrible.
Thank you, appreciate your kind words.
(03-23-2017, 09:13 AM)SickBeast Wrote:

I think you really got a raw deal.  The only thing I can think of that they would be really unhappy about is the power consumption.  Computers consume a lot more power under load than they do during idle.  I'm not sure how many watts difference that would have been on the hardware back then.  But those watts all cost money, and it's the taxpayer's money.  It would have been different had you asked for approval.  However this is all flogging a dead horse and I'm quite sure you have learned your lesson from this and then some.  The punishment clearly did not fit the crime.  You should have been spoken to and asked to remove the screensaver.  Whoever your boss was is a real piece of work and they will have their day, believe me.

I have also faced my own injustices in my life, there are a couple that really stand out.  Sometimes people lie and do malicious things.  There are a lot of people out there that only care about themselves and they are quite happy to throw anyone that gets in their way under the bus.  It doesn't even phase them.  That's how and why a lot of the absolute worst people often wind up in positions of power or promoted.  They have done studies and a very high percentage of CEOs are narcissistic.  All they care about is their own ego.  Nobody else matters.  It's disgusting but unfortunately it's reality.  Talk to anyone who's worked in an office.  It happens everywhere.

It's really sad when the punishment does not fit the crime.  And in this case in particular, no crime was committed.  Dave I'm really sorry you had to go through all that.  It must have been horrible.

I don't know the story here but if Dave was released for "computer electricity" that was only the paper reason given. In the US, electricity is dirt cheap.

People get fired for things like "Why is there a company pen in your home, Joe?" but companies don't chop off their nose to spite their face either.

If they catch you watching "College Cuties Go To Poundtown" they will fire you because if a woman walks by and sees it you can cost the company big bucks in a lawsuit.

If the company catches you watching NCAA tourney they will say, "Hey, get to work". (at our office they put it on in the break rooms and ask us to go watch our teams there instead of dragging down network streaming it, good team moral thing to watch game together anyway)

Businesses only care about bottom line.
(03-23-2017, 05:49 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:
(03-23-2017, 09:13 AM)SickBeast Wrote:

It's really sad when the punishment does not fit the crime.  And in this case in particular, no crime was committed.  Dave I'm really sorry you had to go through all that.  It must have been horrible.

I don't know the story here but if Dave was released for "computer electricity" that was only the paper reason given. In the US, electricity is dirt cheap.

People get fired for things like "Why is there a company pen in your home, Joe?" but companies don't chop off their nose to spite their face either.

If they catch you watching "College Cuties Go To Poundtown" they will fire you because if a woman walks by and sees it you can cost the company big bucks in a lawsuit.

If the company catches you watching NCAA tourney they will say, "Hey, get to work". (at our office they put it on in the break rooms and ask us to go watch our teams there instead of dragging down network streaming it, good team moral thing to watch game together anyway)

Businesses only care about bottom line.
It depends on how many computers there were. If there were 200 computers each consuming 100w extra because they were under load, that's a *lot* of power, even if it's cheap and even if the university gets some type of corporate rate. 200 times 100w equals 20,000w, so that's 20 kilowatt hours every hour. I just used a cost calculator for Georgia and that works out to about $16 worth of power, every hour. Let's just say that the screensaver was running for 10 hours every night when the computers would normally have been idle or in a sleeping state. That's $160/night. So it definitely adds up. Mind you, 100w extra is a high estimate. It was probably closer to a 50w difference or even less. However the fact remains that there was a cost involved.

That would be my only beef with it though. And they should have been able to resolve this situation properly. Dave should still be working there. If they wanted to make him pay restitution they should have just done the math like I just did, it took me all of 2 minutes. I'm shocked that he was let go and then prosecuted over this while he was working at a government institution. A lot of people hate unions, but things like this are the reason why unions exist, and should continue to exist, IMO.
Restitution? For putting screen savers on computers??

Hit_head

That is some crazy crap right there. Jesus, people make mistakes.

Did they actually make you pay for the screensaver electricity Dave?
$2,100 but they originally wanted $1.2 million for 59 cents a second for the bandwidth which was less than 1Meg.
(03-24-2017, 05:43 AM)dmcowen674 Wrote: $2,100 but they originally wanted $1.2 million for 59 cents a second for the bandwidth which was less than 1Meg.

Were you not unionized?
(03-24-2017, 06:05 AM)SickBeast Wrote:
(03-24-2017, 05:43 AM)dmcowen674 Wrote: $2,100 but they originally wanted $1.2 million for 59 cents a second for the bandwidth which was less than 1Meg.

Were you not unionized?

SB, unions are almost gone here.
(03-24-2017, 06:14 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:
(03-24-2017, 06:05 AM)SickBeast Wrote:

Were you not unionized?

SB, unions are almost gone here.

Has that been a good thing or a bad thing? Have you noticed any differences?
No difference in my life, I don't work in traditionally union type jobs.
Trump is very anti union. We also have people like that up here. I can see both sides of it to a certain extent. However I do believe unions play a vital role and getting rid of them is a big mistake IMO. I have seen what happens in the private sector and it's not pretty. People in positions of power can do pretty much anything they want to people. I have seen people lie and get other people fired. I have heard of people being fired for political reasons. I have also heard of people working in offices for a "shady" role. I was never given details. But I was afraid to ask questions.

With unions you are largely protected and it cuts out a lot of that bullshit. The worst thing I have seen with unions is seniority based hiring. I think the best candidate should always get the job. Not the most experienced. When people are not hired for many years there is often a valid and legitimate reason for that. Unions seem to favor seniority based hiring and I am quite opposed to it. So there are things like that where the unions are going to do things that you don't necessarily like and there isn't much you can do about it. However I will say that the good that unions do far outweighs the bad. They serve a social justice role for all of the working people in that entire industry. For anyone working in the private sector, unionized workers in that field immediately become their "comparables". I have seen that a lot of the private sector companies will match everything the unionized employees are getting at a competitor's union shop.

Anyhow that's my take on it in a nutshell. I have seen both sides of it.
Hey ocre, I have been thinking about this for a little bit. You mentioned things about people following a herd mentality and how that is bad. What about letting go of the past? I was just thinking about how it seems like you're holding on to a lot of resentment regarding apoppin and what happened with ABT. I don't know exactly *why* you're holding on to resentment like that, however I do know that generally speaking it's not a good or healthy thing to be doing. Things don't always work out in relationships or business partnerships. Look at the divorce rates. Do you think we should all judge and resent people who are divorced? I'm sure they made mistakes that led to the divorce in a lot of cases. Should we hold ill will against them? It makes no sense. The same goes for apoppin. What happened happened. It does not change him as a person. I can see how all the changes would upset you, but I really want to know *why* after all this time now do you still care and why do you still hold on to all this negativity? It makes absolutely no sense to me.
Why?

Because Mankind needs to do better in not repeating the mistakes of history.

Unfortunately Mankind constantly reminds all of Humanity that is sadly not possible.
(03-25-2017, 07:15 PM)dmcowen674 Wrote: Why?

Because Mankind needs to do better in not repeating the mistakes of history.

Unfortunately Mankind constantly reminds all of Humanity that is sadly not possible.

There is a big difference between learning from the past and holding on to a grudge.