Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
94 year old inventor creates revolutionary new battery technology
https://ca.yahoo.com/news/94-old-invento...45048.html

Apparently this guy invented the lithium ion batteries that are used in pretty much everything today. He has come up with some kind of "glass" battery cell that has triple the capacity, more charge cycles, faster charging, and a wider operating temperature range. It looks fantastic. Hopefully they can bring it to market quickly. It says that this could be what makes electric cars become mainstream.
This would also be a big boost to solar power and wind power, as both are heavily bottlenecked by the battery technology they need to use to store electricity.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
(04-02-2017, 08:54 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote: This would also be a big boost to solar power and wind power, as both are heavily bottlenecked by the battery technology they need to use to store electricity.

Like many States, Indiana just banned Solar Power "to protect the electrical grid and supporting Electric Utility Companies".
The USA pollutes like crazy.  It really affects our air quality here in Canada.  You guys use a ton of coal power.  In many of our largest provinces, we use very little or even no coal power whatsoever.  In Quebec they primarily use hydro electricity and in Ontario coal has been phased out entirely.  British Columbia doesn't use it either.  All of Canada's largest cities and the vast majority of our population lives in those provinces.

Apparently China builds two new coal power plants every week. Angry
Photo 
Canada has been one of the top consumers and producers of fossil fuel in the world with per capital usage of energy surpassing the US.  Its also been home of the biggest coal plants, having had the largest coal burning plant in north America for nearly 4 decades.  Perhaps there are other reasons for the "air quality" you say is affected.

And then there is this.....

Air flows in really predictable patterns.  It is recorded and tracked.  That data is well established and at odds with what you say.  The atmosphere does not have air flowing from the mainland USA straight up to Canada.  It does not flow that way. You should know this. The air flows west to east, out into the Atlantic.  As to pollution in eastern canada, interestingly enough, this is where Canada coal burning plants are.  As a matter of fact, the obscenely massive coal plant, the biggest in north america that had been operating before 1980 (almost 40 yrs) is right here:

[Image: 970c9837-90ec-43c0-81f8-1ff5a1c2719f.jpg]

Now, with that in mind.. Have a look at reality.  The real air pollution, tracked by satellites sending mountains of data to a super computer.  This, is reality:

So, canada pollutes the USA with a huge massive coal burning plant for decades and sickbeast is posting his air is ruined by the USA?  So canada is running a pipeline thru the US, one that is a serious risk...it threatens our environment extremely, if and when the pipeline fails....and sickbeast is saying how bad the USA is.  

Canada could run their pipeline thru their country, i dont care what they say. Its just so much easier to come thru the US and put our nation at risk. Pollute our natural environments,  our country side, destroy our Native American lands.  

Yeah, Sickbeast.  Its all about looking good. You should know that.  Every country claims they are so much better, its an age old tactic.
The US is no saint but i dont go around bashing other countries.
Down here in Tasmania Australia We use Hydro Electric power for our energy and it helps keep up nice and green and unpolluted (especially since two nasty old Kraft based paper mills and a tioxide factory closed in the north decades ago).  The wind from the southern ocean keeps us nice and clean too, we just cop a smidgeon of mainland and new zealand pollution on the wind. You can see it in that video.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
Well done, ocre.
[Image: slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif]
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
(04-06-2017, 09:04 AM)ocre Wrote: Canada has been one of the top consumers and producers of fossil fuel in the world with per capital usage of energy surpassing the US.  Its also been home of the biggest coal plants, having had the largest coal burning plant in north America for nearly 4 decades.  Perhaps there are other reasons for the "air quality" you say is affected.

And then there is this.....

Air flows in really predictable patterns.  It is recorded and tracked.  That data is well established and at odds with what you say.  The atmosphere does not have air flowing from the mainland USA straight up to Canada.  It does not flow that way. You should know this. The air flows west to east, out into the Atlantic.  As to pollution in eastern canada, interestingly enough, this is where Canada coal burning plants are.  As a matter of fact, the obscenely massive coal plant, the biggest in north america that had been operating before 1980 (almost 40 yrs) is right here:

[Image: >]

Now, with that in mind.. Have a look at reality.  The real air pollution, tracked by satellites sending mountains of data to a super computer.  This, is reality:

So, canada pollutes the USA with a huge massive coal burning plant for decades and sickbeast is posting his air is ruined by the USA?  So canada is running a pipeline thru the US, one that is a serious risk...it threatens our environment extremely, if and when the pipeline fails....and sickbeast is saying how bad the USA is.  

Canada could run their pipeline thru their country, i dont care what they say. Its just so much easier to come thru the US and put our nation at risk. Pollute our natural environments,  our country side, destroy our Native American lands.  

Yeah, Sickbeast.  Its all about looking good. You should know that.  Every country claims they are so much better, its an age old tactic.
The US is no saint but i dont go around bashing other countries.
First of all, Nanticoke is no longer in operation. Like I said, Ontario, Quebec, and British Columbia have *no* coal fired power plants whatsoever. None at all. Those are our three largest provinces by population. So you can point out that they use coal in the Maritimes, however hardly anyone lives there and I would bet that the coal plants are quite small. Not only that, but all the pollution from them probably blows right out into the ocean.

Now for your comment about the prevailing winds. Winds are by no means "random" as you say. For whatever reason, the prevailing wind seems to almost always blow in from West to East. I assume this is a worldwide phenomenon, in all likelihood caused by the rotation of the earth. The wind generally blows from West to East, and depending on the day it either blows in from the North or the South. When we get a warm breeze from the South, we experience a warm or hot day here. When it blows in from the North, it's colder. However, pretty much *always* the prevailing wind is from West to East.

When we get a warm breeze from the South, *all* that smog and nastiness from the USA blows up here. In a lot of places, air pollution from the USA is more of a factor than what is happening locally. Now, you say that our pollution is blowing down to you guys, my question is "what pollution"? Like I said, in our largest provinces we have no coal fired power plants. None. We have 1/10 the population. You can talk about Fort McMurray and the oil sands however that is in the near north of Alberta, getting close to the arctic. It's not even remotely close to the USA and I would be *shocked* if you guys even breathe a snippet of what goes on there.

Now, I'm not saying that the pollution from the oil sands is good and I'm not trying to condone pipelines through your sacred land or anything like that. Really though if you want to talk about the pipeline, why in the hell should we have to sell you guys our oil before we even use it ourselves? And why on earth are we piping the oil thousands of miles just so you guys can refine it? Why don't we refine it ourselves? I think the answer lies in the fact that there is this notion that we can't live without you guys, whereas you guys wouldn't even blink an eye if we suddenly ceased to exist.

This is going off on several tangents that I was not anticipating. But let's not play with each other. We breathe in a ton of pollution from the USA here every day. That is an irrefutable fact.

By the way, there are 557 coal fired power plants in the USA (1308 generating units). In Canada we have 18. Yes. 18. We have 1/10 the population. 10% of 557 is 56. So we have less than 1/3 the number of coal fired power plants, per capita. But according to you, we are the problem. Hit_head
OK, you win, SB.

Hit_head at myself.
By the way, ocre, I was never intending to "bash" the USA. I was simply pointing out that you guys rely too heavily on coal power. I should be able to point something out like that without you flipping out and going on a rant just because I said something "bad" about your country. I don't think Canada is perfect either. Far from it. You were correct in stating that we consume more fossil fuel per capita. I'm not exactly sure why that is. It could be the oil sands. It could also be because it's so damn cold here and we need to heat our homes somehow. Most places in Canada use natural gas to heat houses. That's a lot of fossil fuel consumption when it's -30 outside. But we don't have much choice. I guess we could use geothermal heat pumps. Those are just extremely expensive to install.
(04-12-2017, 11:09 AM)SickBeast Wrote: By the way, ocre, I was never intending to "bash" the USA.  I was simply pointing out that you guys rely too heavily on coal power.  I should be able to point something out like that without you flipping out and going on a rant just because I said something "bad" about your country.  I don't think Canada is perfect either.  Far from it.  You were correct in stating that we consume more fossil fuel per capita.  I'm not exactly sure why that is.  It could be the oil sands.  It could also be because it's so damn cold here and we need to heat our homes somehow.  Most places in Canada use natural gas to heat houses.  That's a lot of fossil fuel consumption when it's -30 outside.  But we don't have much choice.  I guess we could use geothermal heat pumps.  Those are just extremely expensive to install.

WHAT?????

Going on a Flipping out rant?

So I take the time to put together an original and thought out post, composed of data from real sources, and you are coming back to accuse me of flipping out?

I took the time to put it together, went further than a link by finding a real animated visual representation that is not only super easy for anyone to absorb but also comes from one of the most extensive collection of real data tracked from satellites over a long period of time.

Is it really bothering to see a well put together counter argument? I guess I need to take it down a notch, perhaps one or two line insults are all people are accustom to these days? More like this:

"no sickbeast, you are bad brain and canada is like poo poo"

Thumbsdown

Sickbeast, apparently you still dont get that I enjoy discussions of higher caliper. I invite opposing views and love to have challenge in how I view things. I think its wonderful to have different viewpoints which are actually debated by capable and apt minds.

If i offer you a counter to your arguments, it doesnt mean i have ill feeling towards you. Its not against you, personally. I have little time for forums at all and i wanted to give you a truly great counter argument towards your claim. Honestly, with such a shallow post, I well put together response should have been appreciated... it would have by me. I would love to see discussions and post of a higher caliper. Even if the post are completely at odds with what i might think.

Apparently i am an outcast for this
(04-13-2017, 09:21 AM)ocre Wrote:
(04-12-2017, 11:09 AM)SickBeast Wrote: By the way, ocre, I was never intending to "bash" the USA.  I was simply pointing out that you guys rely too heavily on coal power.  I should be able to point something out like that without you flipping out and going on a rant just because I said something "bad" about your country.  I don't think Canada is perfect either.  Far from it.  You were correct in stating that we consume more fossil fuel per capita.  I'm not exactly sure why that is.  It could be the oil sands.  It could also be because it's so damn cold here and we need to heat our homes somehow.  Most places in Canada use natural gas to heat houses.  That's a lot of fossil fuel consumption when it's -30 outside.  But we don't have much choice.  I guess we could use geothermal heat pumps.  Those are just extremely expensive to install.

WHAT?????

Going on a Flipping out rant?

So I take the time to put together an original and thought out post, composed of data from real sources, and you are coming back to accuse me of flipping out?

I took the time to put it together, went further than a link by finding a real animated visual representation that is not only super easy for anyone to absorb but also comes from one of the most extensive collection of real data tracked from satellites over a long period of time.

Is it really bothering to see a well put together counter argument? I guess I need to take it down a notch, perhaps one or two line insults are all people are accustom to these days? More like this:

"no sickbeast, you are bad brain and canada is like poo poo"

Thumbsdown

Sickbeast, apparently you still dont get that I enjoy discussions of higher caliper. I invite opposing views and love to have challenge in how I view things. I think its wonderful to have different viewpoints which are actually debated by capable and apt minds.

If i offer you a counter to your arguments, it doesnt mean i have ill feeling towards you. Its not against you, personally. I have little time for forums at all and i wanted to give you a truly great counter argument towards your claim. Honestly, with such a shallow post, I well put together response should have been appreciated... it would have by me. I would love to see discussions and post of a higher caliper. Even if the post are completely at odds with what i might think.

Apparently i am an outcast for this
Ocre you were incorrect. I refuted every single thing you said. And then you ignored it. Now you are complaining. You're not making any sense. You never even addressed anything I said to begin with. You refused to acknowledge what I said about your country and instead decided to talk about mine. I pointed out your hostility to begin with and now you come back with more. Interesting.
(04-13-2017, 11:55 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Ocre you were incorrect. I refuted every single thing you said. And then you ignored it. Now you are complaining. You're not making any sense. You never even addressed anything I said to begin with. You refused to acknowledge what I said about your country and instead decided to talk about mine. I pointed out your hostility to begin with and now you come back with more. Interesting.

Sure.
Hostility...alrighty then.

Since I "never even addressed anything you said in the first place"....It must be all that rage you imagine I have.

Prolly my rage that makes you feel that I ignored you when you totally refuted every single thing I said...which is strange considering you claim I never adressed anything you said in the first place. However that works for you.

So, just because I am a flipping out rage maniac and i cant help myself, I will remind you: I havent much time for forums at all these days. I wasnt ignoring you..sorry to repeat that
Ocre & SB would make great Left Vs Right down in the U.S.A.
ocre doesn't have time to debate with me, unfortunately. I have enjoyed our discussions over the years.