Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raja leaves AMD
I couldn't care less about Rollo's chagrin.

He won't make it far up the social ladder being a pretentious snot anyway. Conspicious consumption and spending on luxury items is what the pretenders do, not the successful.

The rich get to be rich by saving their money, not spending it.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
I don't think Rollo is doing anything too extravagant actually. He makes a decent income and the cost of living where he lives is ridiculously low. Heck, I have a nicer TV than him and I'm sure my house costs way more where I live. I also have two kids in daycare. You've got to live your life to the fullest, our time in this life is limited. I know that I personally went through a long period in my youth where I didn't have a lot. I think it's fine to spoil yourself sometimes if you have the means, provided that you're not going overboard.

If I had a $100,000 Wisconsin home I would probably buy a cottage and a boat also. You kind of need the big SUV to tow one of those also.

It feels strange defending Rollo here, however I have seen much better examples of a life of excess compared to how he lives. I know people with 16,000 square foot houses here. And actually even that doesn't seem all that excessive to me. The house is absolutely beautiful and if I had the means to afford it I would absolutely buy one. Lucky for me I get to visit whenever I want and they take good care of us when we go there. My TV is still nicer than theirs though. Big Grin
Ex Mrs Rollo sounds very similar to my Ex
(11-16-2017, 08:37 AM)SickBeast Wrote: I don't think Rollo is doing anything too extravagant actually.  He makes a decent income and the cost of living where he lives is ridiculously low.  Heck, I have a nicer TV than him and I'm sure my house costs way more where I live.  I also have two kids in daycare.  You've got to live your life to the fullest, our time in this life is limited.  I know that I personally went through a long period in my youth where I didn't have a lot.  I think it's fine to spoil yourself sometimes if you have the means, provided that you're not going overboard.

If I had a $100,000 Wisconsin home I would probably buy a cottage and a boat also.  You kind of need the big SUV to tow one of those also.

It feels strange defending Rollo here, however I have seen much better examples of a life of excess compared to how he lives.  I know people with 16,000 square foot houses here.  And actually even that doesn't seem all that excessive to me.  The house is absolutely beautiful and if I had the means to afford it I would absolutely buy one.  Lucky for me I get to visit whenever I want and they take good care of us when we go there.  My TV is still nicer than theirs though.  Big Grin

Well, its a $300,000 Wisconsin home, but in general I agree.

(Although 65" Sony HDR might be a tie to some compared with 75" HiSense)
(11-16-2017, 05:09 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:
(11-16-2017, 08:37 AM)SickBeast Wrote: I don't think Rollo is doing anything too extravagant actually.  He makes a decent income and the cost of living where he lives is ridiculously low.  Heck, I have a nicer TV than him and I'm sure my house costs way more where I live.  I also have two kids in daycare.  You've got to live your life to the fullest, our time in this life is limited.  I know that I personally went through a long period in my youth where I didn't have a lot.  I think it's fine to spoil yourself sometimes if you have the means, provided that you're not going overboard.

If I had a $100,000 Wisconsin home I would probably buy a cottage and a boat also.  You kind of need the big SUV to tow one of those also.

It feels strange defending Rollo here, however I have seen much better examples of a life of excess compared to how he lives.  I know people with 16,000 square foot houses here.  And actually even that doesn't seem all that excessive to me.  The house is absolutely beautiful and if I had the means to afford it I would absolutely buy one.  Lucky for me I get to visit whenever I want and they take good care of us when we go there.  My TV is still nicer than theirs though.  Big Grin

I think most people would agree that a 10" larger screen with a VA panel and local dimming is vastly superior to a smaller TV with an IPS panel and no local dimming. Sorry to have to tell you this. Brand loyalty gets you nowhere. Hisense is a disruptive brand and their TVs are excellent.
(11-18-2017, 12:42 AM)SickBeast Wrote:
(11-16-2017, 05:09 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:

I think most people would agree that a 10" larger screen with a VA panel and local dimming is vastly superior to a smaller TV with an IPS panel and no local dimming.  Sorry to have to tell you this.  Brand loyalty gets you nowhere.  Hisense is a disruptive brand and their TVs are excellent.

I agree on the 10", I've just seen bad reviews of HiSense. What Sharp model is it? If its a quality TV I'll gladly agree with you.
Sharp LC-75N8000U

https://www.pcmag.com/review/349134/sharp-lc-75n8000u
(11-18-2017, 03:40 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Sharp LC-75N8000U

https://www.pcmag.com/review/349134/sharp-lc-75n8000u

Smile

Even without the HDR, I'll give you the edge on the TV SB.
It has HDR, it got it via a firmware update. It's a great TV, I highly recommend it.
(11-19-2017, 05:02 AM)SickBeast Wrote: It has HDR, it got it via a firmware update.  It's a great TV, I highly recommend it.

If I were shopping for a TV, I'd consider it. As I is, I haven't even watched the 65" 4k HDR set in a long time.

I traded sets with Rollo Jr when the PS4 Pro came out, have been watching his 60" 1080p Samsung TV since.
There are no 4k broadcasts in the USA so it's sort of pointless. Here in Canada pretty much all of the home games are broadcast in 4k now, it looks awesome.