Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Facebook co-founder wants to provide 90 million Americans with a $500 monthly stipend
Facebook co-founder wants to provide 90 million Americans with a $500 monthly stipend

2-20-2018

Chris Hughes, a co-founder of Facebook has a proposal to attack the problem of rising income inequality through a basic income, a system of wealth distribution in which people receive a standard salary just for being alive. And he wants to pay for it by raising taxes on the one percent. 

Hughes wants to give every American making less than $50,000 a year a monthly stipend of $500. This would affect 90 million people across the country, according to Hughes.
You know when you start seeing stuff like this the rich know they have screwed the system so bad.

This is a band-aid and not a cure.
(02-21-2018, 10:28 AM)dmcowen674 Wrote: You know when you start seeing stuff like this the rich know they have screwed the system so bad.

Or that FBco-founder wants some good PR. Alas, no $500 for me, even in my decrepit divorced state.
(02-21-2018, 06:55 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 10:28 AM)dmcowen674 Wrote: You know when you start seeing stuff like this the rich know they have screwed the system so bad.

Or that FBco-founder wants some good PR. Alas, no $500 for me, even in my decrepit divorced state.

You aren't earning less than $50K per annum so you don't meet his clearly stated criteria.  What are you blubbering about?!

Given the percentages of the tax base the USA govt wastes on things like the rocket to nowhere (SLS) and unnecessary military spending, both of which amount to way more than 1% of the tax base each, amongst many other extravagent wastes of public money this proposal is actually a good and decent way to use tax revenue.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin