Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Avoid The GT 1030 DDR4
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/33...-card-2018
Quote:The GT 1030 GDDR5 received our recommendation on a few occasions, almost all of which were derived from limited supply of the GTX 1050 or RX 550. Even in spite of this forced recommendation, the card did perform objectively well when compared to its predecessor garbage-tier cards. We almost never recommend sub-$100 cards (this one had an MSRP of $70), but the GT 1030 was good enough to warrant in pairing with a G4560, G5600, or R3 CPU.

Unfortunately, because the new GT 1030 obfuscates that choice and conveniently blends its significant DDR4 reduction into product IDs, we must rescind that recommendation. The average consumer cannot reasonably be expected to look at “GT 1030 2GB OC LPD4” and understand that is 55% slower than “GT 1030 2GB OC LPG5.” That is completely ludicrous, and nVidia, for a company so righteous on making “choices clearer for gamers,” sure seems to be obscuring this one. The company only wants some cards to be a clear choice. Not all cards, apparently. This does not benefit gamers.

The sad thing is that, although we wouldn’t like the card, we wouldn’t be offended by its existence had it been named “GT 1020,” or almost literally anything other than an existing product name whose predecessor has 2x the performance.

The GT 1030 DDR4 chokes on all memory bandwidth-intensive tasks. If you are asking what game graphics are bandwidth-intensive, the answer is “all of them.” The GT 1030 DDR4 is a disgrace of a product, and that is only true because of its name. We can no longer recommend the GT 1030 in any capacity, at this time, out of concern that a consumer might purchase the wrong one. The GDDR5 card is fine, but at a $10 reduction, you lose half the performance with the DDR4 card, and that’s an easy mistake to make.
Wow, that is quite a Marketing blunder there. Deserves more than a slap on the wrist.
https://www.techspot.com/review/1658-gef...omination/
Quote:It’s often 50% slower, yet has the exact same name and price, again how is this possible?

It’s not like we were trying to cripple performance or test under some unusual condition to make it look worse than it really is. Almost all of the games were tested using the lowest possible quality preset at 720p and 1080p. The GDDR5 model can actually handle higher quality visuals at 1080p and doing so would further cripple the DDR4 version, so we’re actually showing a best case scenario, if anything.

I can’t imagine how upset I’d be, if I’d been saving to upgrade my graphics card only to end up with this thing. I couldn't imagine buying another GeForce product. I’d also be very upset with the retailer that sold be the product, even though I do realize they are not the problem here.

This actually lead me to reach out and ask a few local retailers what their take was on the DDR4 version of GT 1030, and do they ever see any kind of backlash from this sort of thing.

For obvious reasons I won’t name any of the retailers' names, but I can tell you what they said, and they all said pretty much the same thing: First, the big issue for retailers is that they often don’t know exact what models they are buying, and I know that sounds silly but it makes sense. The people in these purchasing roles often aren’t computer geeks, they pay attention to product codes and pricing, not what type of memory a graphics card uses. They will see GT 1030 stock is low and they’ll order more GT 1030 stock, it’s not like cheap brand has on GT 1030, even before the DDR4 mess most brands offered 4 or 5 models.

So many of them unknowingly bought up DDR4 GT 1030 stock, assuming it was just the same GDDR5 GT 1030 stock they’d been buying for the past year. The specs are often supplied and then just copy and pasted to the website and this isn’t unusual.

Almost all of them admitted that if it wasn’t for the controversy around the spec change they would have been none the wiser, and it would have just been pure chance if they happened to notice the change at all. They also said unless the model name is changed or there is some obvious difference this stuff often goes under the radar.

This then causes massive issues for these retailers as they are unknowingly selling their customers inferior products and that’s not something they want to do for obvious reasons. So Nvidia aren’t just hurting their customers, but also potentially hurting the retailers and their own board partners, this is a bad look for all involved and needs some kind of fix soon.