Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
U.S. to place 25% Tariff on Game Consoles
5-28-2019

U.S. to place 25% Tariff on Game Consoles

The Trump administration's escalating trade dispute with China could have a significant impact on gaming in the near future. The Office of the United States Trade Representative has proposed a tariff of up to 25% on a wide array of products imported from China.

The US has been raising tariffs on Chinese goods in waves since the middle of last year. The newly proposed product list is the largest yet, representing an approximate annual trade value of $300 billion.

The USTR says it covers "essentially all" products not already covered by previous tariffs, apart from a select few categories like pharmaceuticals, medical goods, and rare earth minerals.

The extensive list of affected product categories includes video game consoles, game controllers, and coin-op arcade games.
Should be a big boost for Xbox?
(05-29-2019, 04:28 AM)dmcowen674 Wrote: Should be a big boost for Xbox?

Maybe.

Brand Fans like GStan would probably buy the next PS if Sony bought up the unsold stock of Xbox One Xs, spray painted "PS5" on them, and adapted an old release of Uncharted to run in "PS5 Enhanced 4Kzors Mode". (and post all over the internet how it's the perfect console with perfect features)

Wink

For the rest of America though, PS5 would have to be significantly better than NextBox to merit a 25% price premium. About half of the USA would already prefer MS over Sony, so a 25% price disparity would be bad news in Sony's biggest single market.
What makes you think that Sony is going to be affected than M$?

SCE (Sony Computer Entertainment) is the division responsible for the Playstation consoles and it is headquartered in the USA, not Japan or China.

In any case both PS4 and XBONE are manufactured in China regardless of where the companies are headquartered and a China tariff would affect both equally.

Here is the back of my XBONE S, stating "Made in China"

https://i.imgur.com/KsCczVH.jpg
[Image: KsCczVH.jpg]
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(05-29-2019, 05:05 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: About half of the USA would already prefer MS over Sony, so a 25% price disparity would be bad news in Sony's biggest single market.

More bullshit from Rollo.

Europe is Sony's single biggest market, not the USA. This is true for PS4, PS3, PS2, PS Vita and PS Portable. The original Playstation is the only time that the USA was the larger market than Europe for Sony.

http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/
[Image: yXOQ0VX.jpg]

So, wrong yet again, brainless troll!

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(05-29-2019, 10:25 AM)gstanford Wrote:
(05-29-2019, 05:05 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: About half of the USA would already prefer MS over Sony, so a 25% price disparity would be bad news in Sony's biggest single market.

More bullshit from Rollo.

So, wrong yet again, brainless troll!

Yes GStan, I'm sure the 44 individual countries in Europe all consider themselves one country.

Why didn't you just say "The biggest single market for Sony is all nations and islands East of New York and West of China"?

Oh wait, you did.

9 of the 44 European countries even have their own currency. They don't act in unison on a lot of things. They're just a collection of countries in the same area with trade and currency agreements. We have trade agreements with Mexico, but I guarantee you it's a different market than the USA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe

Europe is a CONTINENT, not a single market or country.

In the mind of GStan, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Panama, Costa Rica, Mexico, USA, and Canada must all be the same place!

"Oi! That's the North American market right there you wanker! The USA is just a suburb of Guatemala!"

Rolleyes
Ever heard of the European Union and a currency known as the Euro?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro
Quote:The euro is the official currency of 19 of the 28 member states of the European Union. This group of states is known as the eurozone or euro area, and counts about 343 million citizens as of 2019. The euro is the second largest and second most traded currency in the foreign exchange market after the United States dollar.

Quote:In the mind of GStan, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Panama, Costa Rica, Mexico, USA, and Canada must all be the same place!
Nope. Unlike you I'm not brain dead and am actually pretty well educated about the world outside my own country. I doubt you and most USA citizens could identify Europe on a map if your life depended on it!

Ah. So sharing currency makes those 19 states "one market"?

Even though they speak different languages, have different governments, and separate interests and sometimes even different trade laws?

Of course, the sketchy website you keep pointing at, VGChartz, doesn't really define "Europe" so who knows which countries they consider "Europe"?

Is it the 19 EU countries? Is it the 28 countries? Is it these 51 countries?

https://www.countries-ofthe-world.com/co...urope.html

Only one thing is certain- it's all one market and bigger than the US market!

ROFLMAO
Yes, and that is precisely how M$ used to report european sales also until they decided that it was too embarrassing to disclose console sales anymore thanks to the thrashing they are receiving at the hands of Sony.

Be thankful only the 19 countries of the Eurozone are being used.  As you can see by the Wikipedia quote, that is 343 million citizens all by itself.  Continental Europe in its entirety contains many more people than that (741.6 million).  The USA is only 328 million, can't even match the Eurozone, let alone the continent as a whole!

https://www.worldometers.info/world-popu...opulation/
Quote:The current population of the United States of America is 328,875,305 as of Wednesday, May 29, 2019, based on the latest United Nations estimates.

In any case you really only need France, Germany, Britain, Belgium, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Greece, Ireland.  They are the heavy hitters of the EU and where most of the console sales occur.

No need to guess though, vgcharz spells out their methodology and what countries they define as "Europe"

http://www.vgchartz.com/methodology.php
Quote:Data is directly estimated in the following countries on a weekly basis for around 5000 SKUs using the methodology outlined above:

USA
   UK
   Germany
   France
   Japan

Collectively, we estimate that total retail game sales in these 5 countries account for around 70% of the Global market. The raw data collected in these five regions are used to produce two extrapolated charts:

Europe - UK + Germany + France extrapolated to represent the European Totals
   Global - USA + Europe + Japan extrapolated to represent the Global Totals

GStan Jr., "Oi! Dad, why does Artyom's face look like a wallabee's fuzzy nutsack on our copy of Metro Exodus?! He looks like a real guy over at my buddy GSmart's house!"

GStan,"It's because you're young and don't understand gaming yet Jr! You see, we don't want those better graphics yet because most people don't have them. When the time to have good graphics arrives, you can bet Sony will deliver them to us with a whole pile of other revolutionary features, like Freesync, backwards compatibility, and a 4K Blu Ray player!"

GStan Jr.,"But...but... DAD! GSmart says his console has had that stuff for YEARS!"

GStan,"Oi! Go to bed you wanker, and don't let me catch you reading about any superior...ummm…..DANGEROUS Microsoft technology or I'll make you get up and feed the kangaroo for a month!"
LOL!  Gstan Jr sure as hell isn't as brainless as Rollo Jr!

Gstan Jr would simply go play Metro Exodus on PC if he wanted the best Image Quality.

He'd also be laughing at the XBONE for not being able to play some of the best games of this generation at all, like Horizon Zero Dawn!

He'd also be enjoying his larger bank balance because the PS4 Pro cost less than the CrapBOX X here in Australia.

and he would know he is making sensible mainstream decisions and not being part of a spoiled, irrational and vocal minority.

I think we have a cultural difference going on GStan.

In the US, we don't really care what the rest of the world is doing in terms of our consumer purchases and media. At all.

Some things from foreign cultures make it here, but not for the most part. PS4 having 53.2% of this gens console market is a good example, but Xboxes are still 46.8% of the market between the two. So it's pretty close to a 50/50 market here, which is not the pronounced difference you see in the rest of the world.

We don't look to Europe or Asia for trends, we make our own here.

I guarantee you that not one US car buyer woke up this morning and said to their wife, "You know Julie, in the UK a lot of folks are driving Vauxhall Corsas. We need to find one of those, or something close to it!"

Or with TV, "Bill, Ricky Gervais is all the rage in Europe, lets watch him tonight!"

A lot of what we do is out of step with the rest of the world, and a lot of it is produced here. (or at least the home company is here)

Point being: Your CULTURE is being an English colony, an outpost of Europe. I'm curious as I've never been there and probably never will be due to flight time and cost:

Do you folks have more European or US influence in your country? Obviously you're using PCs and phones designed by US firms, but is the general flavor of your culture European? (I would guess it is)
That is all very well and nice, but, by your own admission above a (small, admittedly) majority of USA console purchasers preferred the PS4 to the XBONE.

That is because it is a well thought out and balanced machine that gets everything mostly right and doesn't veer off wildly on either the low or high end extremes.  The same is true about Sony's PR efforts.  XBONE is pretty much the polar opposite and that combined with Sony being the established dominant player in the console space is why things have played out the way they have.

XBONE is pretty much just a poor persons PC (especially with the upcoming windows 10 XBOX Game Pass).

LOL $8000+ to fly first class from Chicago to Sydney!

Coach is pretty reasonable at $1250 , but 25 hours in the cheap seats is a LONG time.   Anim_angry
Yes, Australia does suffer from the tyranny of distance and it affects the price of just about everything, not just airline tickets. Just a fact of life of living here, sadly. Thankfully we have great lifestyles to make up for it.

(05-31-2019, 05:37 PM)gstanford Wrote: That is all very well and nice, but, by your own admission above a (small, admittedly) majority of USA console purchasers preferred the PS4 to the XBONE.

That is because it is a well thought out and balanced machine that gets everything mostly right and doesn't veer off wildly on either the low or high end extremes.  The same is true about Sony's PR efforts.  XBONE is pretty much the polar opposite and that combined with Sony being the established dominant player in the console space is why things have played out the way they have.

XBONE is pretty much just a poor persons PC (especially with the upcoming windows 10 XBOX Game Pass).

Well, that's why I bought the One X. I don't do a lot of gaming these days and I don't have as much disposable as I did when my household had double the income. I'm not "poor", but "The 2080Ti has 30% more performance than your 1080Ti and is only $1200!" seemed wasteful to me. (Especially since the 1080Ti runs games at 3440 X 1440 pretty well)

And that is exactly why the One X makes so much sense for most people-
1. 4K gaming
2. 4K BluRay
3. Backwards compatible with 100s of games
4. AFAIK most powerful streaming device
5. Gamepass
6. Even some web browsing

It doesn't really replace a computer, but it's for sure the only device you need hooked up to your tv. About the only things it doesn't have are Sony exclusives and VR.
If you don't have a gaming PC already that might sort of make sense (old PC, laptop pc or apple user), but I'd consider it a poor substitute frankly (piss poor CPU) and if you already have Pascal there is no reason to go Turing IMO.

The backward compatability isn't all microsoft crack it up to be.  I have plenty of 360 titles sitting on my shelf that are not supported by it.

PS4 can browse the web too (even PS3) and I don't see 4K BluRay as being anything special in this age of streaming.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure you talked about owning the X before you separated from your wife.

I don't use gamepass on my S, I don't subscribe to Live or to PS Plus.  I purchase my games on physical media and don't do multiplayer gaming at all outside of Elder Scrolls Online (where you don't have a choice)

(05-31-2019, 07:03 PM)gstanford Wrote: If you don't have a gaming PC already that might sort of make sense (old PC, laptop pc or apple user), but I'd consider it a poor substitute frankly (piss poor CPU) and if you already have Pascal there is no reason to go Turing IMO.

The backward compatability isn't all microsoft crack it up to be.  I have plenty of 360 titles sitting on my shelf that are not supported by it.

PS4 can browse the web too (even PS3) and I don't see 4K BluRay as being anything special in this age of streaming.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure you talked about owning the X before you separated from your wife.

I don't use gamepass on my S, I don't subscribe to Live or to PS Plus.  I purchase my games on physical media and don't do multiplayer gaming at all outside of Elder Scrolls Online (where you don't have a choice)

Yeah...but...

Most people looking at One Xs aren't going to have 1080s or Turing, and if they do, they want good performance from their console as well. (presumably- why would you not spend an extra $100 when you have already been buying costly gpus?)

And for people who DON'T have that stuff, can you think of a better gaming solution for $400 USD? You can't build a SFF 6tflop PC for close to that. Even the $500 launch price would be impossible.

xbox One X is a STEAL for what it is, even at launch price.
XBONE X didn't even exist when I bought my S and no, I wouldn't pay more for it. $649 is a ridiculous price for a console!

I get consoles to play games you can't play on a PC (and in the case of the S because I did not want to install windows 10 on my PC just to be able to play the latest Forza Horizons). Also I can take a console with me when we travel - a much cheaper proposition than a gaming laptop or hoping that any PC that might be where we are going is capable of gaming.

So yeah, the XBONE X certainly is a steal - daylight robbery to be precise!