Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rocket Lake Dicussion Thread
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-...40029.html
Quote:In other news, there is also mention of Rocket Lake (RKL) processors in the Intel graphics driver. If you've lost track of Intel codenames, Rocket Lake is billed as the successor to Comet Lake (CML). And yes, Rocket Lake will continue to use Intel's 14nm process node. However, Rocket Lake chips will purportedly utilize both 10nm and 14nm graphics chiplets. The latest Intel roadmap suggests that Rocket Lake should hit the market in the middle of 2020.
https://www.techpowerup.com/266335/intel...-confirmed
Quote:Intel is working on a new stepping of these chips, but those will come out only in the second half of 2020, aligned with "Rocket Lake-S" entering mass-production. This slide inadvertently confirms that its next-generation Core "Rocket Lake-S" processor will enter production in 2H-2020.

"Rocket Lake-S" is a 14 nm silicon that introduces up to 8 "Willow Cove" CPU cores that have higher IPC than both Skylake and Ice Lake (Sunny Cove). It is also expected to feature an updated I/O feature-set, including PCI-Express gen 4.0. This explains how many Intel LGA1200 motherboards we've seen so far feature preparation for PCIe gen 4.0. If "Rocket Lake-S" is indeed coming out before Holiday, "Comet Lake-S" could have a very brief market run spanning barely three quarters.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gigaby...-lake-cpus
Quote:Gigabyte has confirmed, via its Aorus livestream, that the recently launched Z490 motherboards come with support for Intel's future 11th-gen Rocket Lake-S processors.
That makes it necessary to clarify why many Z490 motherboards on the market are PCIe 4.0 ready, but there won't be full support for the feature. The 400-series chipset doesn't natively support PCIe 4.0, so motherboard vendors resorted to incorporating PCIe 4.0 timers, drivers, and re-drivers to enable the feature for future processors. At the end of the day, Rocket Lake-S will likely supply the PCIe 4.0 lanes. You can expect full PCIe 4.0 support on the direct PCIe lanes, but only some motherboards will enjoy the functionality on the first M.2 slot.
https://www.techpowerup.com/267064/intel...ecs-leaked
Quote:According to the PTT report, there will be three kinds of SKUs for "Rocket Lake" based on TDP: 8-core parts with 95 W TDP rating; and 8-core, 6-core, and 4-core parts in 80 W TDP and 65 W TDP variants. For the 95 W (PL1) parts, the power-levels PL2, and PL4 are reportedly set at 173 W and 251 W, respectively, and a 56-second Tau (a timing variable that dictates how long a processor can stick around at an elevated power-state before retreating to PL1, which is interchangeable with the TDP value on the box). The 80 W TDP parts feature 146 W PL2, 191 W PL3, and 251 W PL4, but a lower Tau value of 28 seconds. For the 65 W parts, the PL2 is 128 W, PL3 is 177 W, and PL4 251 W, and the Tau value 28 seconds.

The report also points to the high likelihood of Intel's upcoming LGA1700 socket, on which "Alder Lake" debuts, to feature DDR5 memory interface. According to @Chiakokhua (The Retired Engineer), interpreting the PTT report, "Alder Lake-S" can reportedly handle DDR5 at 4800 GT/s (reference), with one 1DPC (one DIMM per channel, interchangeable with one single-rank DIMM per channel). With 2DPC (two DIMMs per channel or one dual-rank DIMM per channel), the memory controllers can only handle data rates of up to 4000 GT/s reference. Overclocking will be possible in both cases. At least 6 PCB layers will become a practical necessity for motherboard designers to have typical 2DPC-capable setups (four DIMM slots).
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-...-benchmark
Quote:Although Intel's 10th Generation Comet Lake-S CPUs have only just arrived, it appears that Intel's already fine-tuning Rocket Lake chips. Hardware detective @_rogame has reportedly discovered an early engineering sample (ES) of a six-core part.

Intel's 14nm process node has been around for a long time now. The last couple of generations of Intel processors were technically based on the same Skylake microarchitecture that debuted five years ago, (albeit with some changes here and there). If the rumors are accurate, Rocket Lake desktop CPUs should be the last chips using the aging process.

Rocket Lake is rumored to transition to the Willow Cove microarchitecture. For reference, Intel is also expected to use Willow Cove cores in its forthcoming Tiger Lake CPUs, which are expected to land in mobile chips preceding Rocket Lake. However, Tiger Lake should leverage the chipmaker's brand-new 10nm manufacturing process. Fortunately, Rocket Lake will probably slide into the recent LGA1200 socket, which Intel just introduced with Comet Lake.

https://www.techpowerup.com/267526/intel...12-threads
Quote:In the latest report on 3D Mark, the hardware leaker TUM APISAK has found a Rocket Lake CPU running the benchmark and we get to see first specifications of the Rocket Lake-S platform. The benchmark ran on 6 core model with 12 threads, that had a base clock of 3,5 GHz. The CPU managed to boost up to 4,09 GHz, however, we are sure that these are not final clocks and the actual product should have even higher frequencies. Paired with Gen12 Xe graphics, the Rocket Lake platform could offer a very nice alternative to AMD offerings in the backport of Willow Cove goes well. Even though it is still using a 14 nm node, performance would be good. The only things that would be sacrificed (from backporting) are die space and efficiency/heat.
https://www.techpowerup.com/268046/no-in...-this-year
Quote:More importantly, this slide dulls expectations of the company refreshing its desktop process segment just before Holiday 2020 with the 11th generation "Rocket Lake-S" silicon that has next-gen "Willow Cove" CPU cores, Gen12 Xe integrated graphics, and PCIe gen 4.0 connectivity, especially with engineering samples of the chips already hitting the radar. Intel is expected to launch 10 nm "Ice Lake-SP" Xeon enterprise processors in 2020, and there was hope for some of this IP to power Intel's next HEDT platform, the fabled "Ice Lake-X," especially with AMD's "Castle Peak" 3rd gen Threadrippers dominating this segment. While there's little doubt that the slide may have originated from Intel, its context must be studied. Partner Connect is a platform for Intel to interact with its channel partners (distributors, retailers, system integrators, etc), and information about future products is far more restricted on these slides, than presentations intended for large OEMs, motherboard manufacturers, etc. Then again, with the COVID-19 pandemic throwing supply chains off rails, it wouldn't surprise us if this slide spells Gospel.
https://www.techpowerup.com/268370/intel...ncore-dies
Quote:VLSI engineer and industry analyst, @chiakokhua, who goes by "Retired Engineer" on Twitter, was among the very first voices that spoke about 3rd gen Ryzen socket AM4 processors being multi-chip modules of core- and uncore dies built on different silicon fabrication processes, which was an unbelievable theory at the time. He now has a fantastic theory of what "Rocket Lake-S" could look like, dating back to November 2019, which is now re-surfacing on tech communities. Apparently, Intel is designing these socket LGA1200 processors to be multi-chip modules, similar to "Matisse" in some ways, but different in others.

Apparently, "Rocket Lake-S" is a multi-chip module of a 14 nm die that holds the CPU cores; and 10 nm die that holds the uncore components. AMD "Matisse" and "Vermeer" too have such a division of labor, but the CPU cores are located on dies with a more advanced silicon fabrication process (7 nm), than the die with the uncore components (12 nm).
This won't be the first time that Intel took the MCM approach in its mainstream desktop processors. The first generation "Clarkdale" desktop processor in the LGA1156 package was an MCM of a 32 nm CPU die, and a 45 nm uncore die (which contained the iGPU).

Why Intel chose to give the iGPU, rather than the CPU cores, the advantage of the more advanced silicon fabrication process is a mystery that will only be solved after launch. Perhaps it's simply not possible to build a Gen12 iGPU on 14 nm, while the efficiency of "Willow Cove" CPU cores, originally designed for 10 nm+, can survive a back-port to 14 nm better. "Willow Cove" cores make their debut with the "Tiger Lake-U" mobile processors.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/rumor-...rthreading
Quote:Even before Intel's latest generation Comet Lake-S desktop processors launched, there were already rumors going about surrounding the generation after it: Rocket Lake-S. Now, there's a new rumor stemming from VideoCardz.com stating that the Core i7 chip will feature 8 cores with 12 threads, this could be a typo, but if not it is odd to say the least.
However, we have to be careful here and pour quite some salt onto this rumor. This would be the first time that we're seeing a thread count that isn't identical to, or twice that of the physical core count, and we cannot know just how the 12 number came to be. For all we know, it's just a typo. Moreover, it wouldn't make sense from a performance standpoint: with the i7's featuring half-hyperthreading on the same core count as the i9's there would be a much smaller performance gap between the i7 and i9 chips as between the i5 and i7 chips.

Also note that this slide details the vPro chips, and not the consumer-oriented non-vPro parts.

Regardless, as things stand it does still look like Rocket Lake-S will run on the new Willow Cove architecture, which Intel originally engineered at 10 nm as seen in its mobile Tiger Lake chips. This architecture is expected to be backported to the 14nm process for the performance-oriented Rocket Lake-S SKUs.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/it-tur...-after-all
Quote:Some time has passed since Intel launched its Comet Lake-S chips, and the rumors about Rocket Lake-S have since quietened down somewhat. But now, a new Geekbench entry has surfaced, which is showing something we hadn't expected to see: Rocket Lake-S boosting to a mighty 5 GHz.

The submission was spotted by Leakbench, and it is clearly recognized as a Rocket Lake-S part. It isn't exactly clear which Rocket Lake chip this is, but based on the clock speeds and it carrying 8 cores with hyperthreading, we're expecting this to be the flagship part -- albeit an engineering sample. Single-core it scored 1507 points in Geekbench 5, and 7603 in the multi-core test.
But, Rocket Lake-S won't be dropping down to a smaller node size yet. Intel is having too many struggles advancing beyond 14nm, and as a result, the chips will remain quite big and power-hungry. With Comet Lake-S Intel was able to cram 10-cores into the flagship i9-10900K, but so far it looks like the chipmaker won't be able to do the same for Rocket Lake-S, with the alleged i9-11900K (if that's what it will be called) featuring 8 cores instead of 10. But, with a new architecture come with IPC (instructions per clock) improvements, and if Rocket Lake-S does indeed hit 5 GHz then we reckon the IPC improvements will give them the upper hand.
https://www.techpowerup.com/270344/intel...-ghz-boost
This is reference to the previous post.
Quote:The listing has all the telltale signs of "Cypress Cove," such as 48 KB L1D cache, 512 KB per core L2 cache, and and 16 MB shared L3 cache for this 8-core/16-thread chip. "Cypress Cove" is rumored to be to be a back-port of Intel's "Willow Cove" CPU core design from its original 10 nm+ node to the 14 nm++. VideoCardz compared this "Rocket Lake-S" ES benchmark result to that of a retail Core i7-10700K, and found its single-threaded performance to be roughly 6.35 percent higher despite a 200 MHz clock-speed deficit, although for some reason, its multi-threaded performance is trailing by over 15 percent.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-...comet-lake
Quote:A plethora of Rocket Lake benchmarks is now available over at the SiSoftware database, as spotted by @momomo_us, which gives us a sneak peek of the processor's performance in comparison to the current 10th Generation Comet Lake-S offerings.

The Rocket Lake chip in question comes with eight CPU cores, 16 threads and 16MB of L3 cache. Given the identical design to the Core i7-10700K, the unnamed Rocket Lake part is likely the successor to the existing octa-core Comet Lake-S chip. Rocket Lake should be similar to Comet Lake-S in a lot of ways. For example, Rocket Lake will likely employ the 14nm process node, even if it's just for the cores; there's a rumor that Intel is implementing its Gen12 Xe intel graphics via 10nm die inside a chiplet structure.
Luckily, Rocket Lake may finally break away from the antiquated Skylake microarchitecture. The current speculation is that Rocket Lake will exploit the Willow Cove microarchitecture but with a slight twist. Willow Cove is designed for Intel's 10nm processors, and Rocket Lake is allegedly using 14nm CPU cores. That would mean Intel would have to backport Willow Cove to the 14nm node. Cypress Cove is the rumored codename for this backport.

Based on these newfound (and unconfirmed) benchmark results, the Rocket Lake CPU was operating at a 3.2 GHz clock speed, which we assume is the base clock. Sisoftware didn't reveal or wasn't able to pick up the processor's boost clock speed. A similar octa-core Rocket Lake chip surfaced on Geekbeench 5 with a boost clock that soared to 5 GHz. We're not certain if this is the same processor.

The Rocket Lake processor scored 729.65 Mpix/s on the processor multimedia test. Assuming that the chip was running at 3.19 GHz during the entire duration of the test, that equates to 228.73 Mpix/s per gigahertz.

According to Sisoftware's database, the average score and clock speed for a Core i7-10700K are 918.59 Mpix/s and 4.85 GHz, respectively. So the Core i7-10700K puts out 189.4 Mpix/s per gigahertz. If that's the case, the Rocket Lake chip delivered 20.8% higher Mpix/s per gigahertz than the Comet Lake part.

Sisoftware's average score for the Core i7-10700K is most likely skewed, since we suspect it takes both stock and overclocked results into consideration. We know that the Core i7-10700K has a 4.7 GHz all-core boost clock. If we use that value as reference, it works out to 195.44 Mpix/s per gigahertz on the Core i7-10700K, meaning the Rocket Lake offers only 17% better performance.

Neither method is accurate, but it at least gives us a faint idea of the performance uplift Rocket Lake may offer.

https://www.techpowerup.com/270341/intel...ghz-clocks
Quote:Intel is struggling with its node development and it looks like next-generation consumer systems are going to be stuck on 14 nm for a bit more. Preparing for that, Intel will finally break free from Sky Lake-based architectures and launch something new. The replacement for the current Comet Lake generation is set to be called Rocket Lake and today we have obtained some more information about it. Thanks to popular hardware leaker rogame (_rogame), we know a few stuff about Rocket Lake. Starting off, it is known that Rocket Lake features the backport of 10 nm Willow Cove core, called Cypress Cove. That Cypress Cove is supposed to bring only 10% IPC improvements, according to the latest rumors.

With 10% IPC improvement the company will at least offer some more competitive product than it currently does, however, that should be much slower than 10 nm Tiger Lake processors which feature the original Willow Cove design. It shows that backporting of the design doesn't just bring loses of the node benefits like smaller design and less heat, but rather means that only a fraction of the performance can be extracted. Another point that rogame made is that Rocket Lake will run up to 5 GHz in boost, and it will run hot, which is expected.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-...benchmarks
Quote:A fresh round of Rocket Lake benchmarks (via Tum_Apisak) has set the rumor mill into action once again. The highest Rocket Lake configuration so far has been eight cores, so this nameless 11th Generation processor may be the flagship chip or a variant of it.
The Rocket Lake part reportedly runs with a 1.8 GHz base clock and 4.4 GHz boost clock. The processor's clock speeds are pretty far away from the values that we previously saw for another unidentified Rocket Lake processor, which flaunted a 3.41 GHz base clock and 4.98 GHz boost clock. In all likelihood, the SiSoftware chip could be a 65W or 35W model. On the flipside, SiSoftware may be misinterpreting the clock speeds, which happens a lot when it comes to unreleased hardware.
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/31...ocket-lake
Quote:This image, from WCCFTech, summarizes some GeekBench 5 performance results from last week. Unlike the Sandra results, this data looks exactly like what we’d predict.

The Core i9-10900K is 17 percent slower in single-core testing, implying that Rocket Lake keeps all of Comet Lake’s clock at 14nm and fully benefits from its IPC uplift. On paper, the Core i9-10900K’s 10 cores should be 25 percent faster than the unnamed RKL CPU’s eight, but in practice, it’s only about 1.12x faster. As we theorized, higher IPC from the RKL CPU helps to compensate for the reduced number of cores.

The Core i7-10700K’s relative performance is also interesting, especially if you consider them compared with, say, AMD’s improvements from the 3950X to the 5950X. In AMD’s case, the 5950X gains more performance against the 3950X in 1T mode than it does at full load, partly because both CPUs bump up against the power limits baked into all AM4 motherboards. The fact that the RKL CPU can beat the Core i7-10700K by 22 percent in 1T but only by 9 percent in multi-threading suggests that the clock gap between the two cores is larger in one mode than the other.

These results also fit with what we know about Intel’s product plans and strategies these past few years. The company has been emphasizing single-threaded burst performance and short-duration workloads, and leaning on categories like gaming, which it still won more often than it lost until the launch of AMD’s Ryzen 5000 series a few months ago.

Incidentally, this data also suggests rough parity between RKL and the Ryzen 5000 series on a core for core basis. AMD’s desktop platform would still offer more total cores than Intel, allowing for higher maximum performance in a single socket, but early data suggests Intel will still be in a much better position when the new chips debut at the end of March. With core-per-core parity, Intel could even take an overall price/performance leadership position in certain match-ups, should it choose to price to do so.

As always, take all rumors, leaks, and equivalencies with a grain of salt.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/corei5...benchmarks
Quote:Leaks for Intel's upcoming Core i5-11400 and Core i9-11900K Rocket Lake CPUs are starting to show up, including a few benchmarks. APISAK Tweeted two new benchmarks, one showcasing the i9-11900K running on an RTX 2080 Ti in an Ashes of the Singularity run, and a SiSoftware benchmark result has appeared for the Core i5-11400.

In the Ashes of the Singularity run, the Intel Core i9-11900K, with a base clock of 3.5ghz, scored 6400 points in the benchmark, with an average CPU frame rate of 64 fps. This score seems incredibly low for Intel's next-gen flagship. For perspective, you can find plenty of Core i7-9700K results with the same settings and GPU with nearly double the frame rates. Presumably, this means the 11900K is an engineering sample and isn't running beyond its base clock. But at least we now know that 11900K samples are in the testing phase, implying that Intel's Rocket Lake chips should be getting close to launch.

For the Core i5-11400, we now know this chip rocks six cores and 12 threads, plus a base clock of 2.6GHz and a maximum turbo frequency of 4.4Ghz, not bad for what should be Intel's lowest-end Core i5 model. The benchmark used is SiSoftware's Multi-Media workload, and the 11400 came with a score of 646.07Mpix/s.
But, Intel seems to be focusing entirely on IPC performance this time around, with the i9-11900K only having eight cores and 16 threads, a strange occurrence when the Core i9-10900K came with ten cores and 20 threads.

The Core i5 series still has six cores and hyperthreading which is the same as the 10th gen Core i5s. That said, it remains a mystery if the Rocket Lake Core i7s will retain hyperthreading or not, with the 11900K going back down to eight cores. Either way, perhaps Intel can regain enough per-core performance to make up for the core deficit compared to AMD's Zen 2 and Zen 3 CPUs.

https://www.techpowerup.com/275920/intel...ored-specs
Quote:Intel's upcoming 11th Generation Core i9-11900K processor boosts up to 5.30 GHz, according to rumored specs of various 11th Gen Core "Rocket Lake-S" desktop processors, sourced by Harukaze5719. According to this specs-sheet, both the Core i9-11900K and the Core i7-11700K (i7-10700K successor) are 8-core/16-thread parts, and clock-speeds appear to be the only apparent product segmentation between the two. The i9-11900K has a maximum single-core boost frequency of 5.30 GHz, and 4.80 GHz all-core boost. The i7-11700K, on the other hand, has an all-core boost of 4.60 GHz, and 5.00 GHz single-core boost. This time around, even the Core i7 part gets Thermal Velocity Boost.

11th Gen Core i5 continues to be 6-core/12-thread, with Intel allegedly readying an unlocked Core i5-11600K, and a locked i5-11400. Both parts lack TVB. The i5-11600K ticks up to 4.90 GHz single-core, and 4.70 GHz all-core; while the i5-11400 does 4.20 GHz single-core, and 4.40 GHz all-core. The secret-sauce with "Rocket Lake-S" is the introduction of the new "Cypress Cove" CPU cores, which Intel claims offer a double-digit percent IPC gain over the current-gen "Comet Lake," an improved dual-channel DDR4 memory controller with native support for DDR4-3200, a PCI-Express Gen 4 root-complex, and a Gen12 Xe-LP iGPU. The "Cypress Cove" CPU cores also feature VNNI and DLBoost, which accelerate AI DNN; as well as limited AVX-512 instructions. The 11th Gen core processors will also introduce a CPU-attached M.2 NVMe slot, similar to AMD Ryzen. Intel is expected to launch its first "Rocket Lake-S" processors before Q2-2021.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-...ies-boards
Quote:It appears new 500 series chipset motherboards for Intel's next-generation Rocket Lake processors are fast approaching, according to Weixin, a Chinese news outlet. Weixin claim that Intel might be releasing new Z590, B560, and H510 via its board partners before the Rocket Lake launch on January 11. Weixin also believes the Rocket Lake CPU launch will happen sometime in late February or early March. As this is a rumor, take everything with a pinch of salt.
https://www.techpowerup.com/276202/intel...es-surface
Quote:Intel's 11th Gen Core "Rocket Lake-S" desktop processors could feature similar TDP values to their 10th Gen "Comet Lake-S" predecessors, according to Momomo_us. Intel is preparing to give the Unlocked "K" and "KF" SKUs a TDP rating of 125 W, while the locked non-K models feature 65 W rating. The lineup is led by the 8-core/16-thread Core i9-11900K, followed by the locked i9-11900 and iGPU-devoid i9-11900F; the slightly slower 8-core/16-thread Core i7-11700K, followed by the i7-11700KF, i7-11700, and i7-11700F; and the 6-core/12-thread i5-10600K and its derivatives.

https://www.techpowerup.com/276222/intel...2-ipc-gain
Quote:Benchmark numbers of an upcoming Intel Core i9-11900 (non-K) and i9-11900K processor engineering samples allegedly obtained on CPU-Z Bench reveal that the chip will deliver on the company's "double-digit IPC gain" promise for the "Rocket Lake" microarchitecture. The i9-11900 (non-K) sample posted a single-threaded performance score of 582 points, while the i9-11900K ES posted 597 points, which are roughly 12% higher than typical CPU-Z Bench single-thread numbers for the current-gen i9-10900 (non-K) and i9-10900K "Comet Lake-S" processors. The multi-threaded score of the i9-11900 (non-K) ES, at 5262 points, ends up just around 5-10% lower than that of the i9-10900, despite a deficit of two cores. Intel's 11th Gen Core "Rocket Lake-S" story is hence shaping up to be that of increased gaming performance from the IPC gain, while roughly the same multi-threaded performance as the 10th Gen "Comet Lake-S."
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/i9-119...st-on-b560
Quote:Chinese news outlet Bilibili was able to get access to an unknown B560 chipset motherboard, along with an engineering sample Core i9-11900 (QV1J) processor to pair with it. The news outlet then ran a series of benchmarks to see how the new Rocket Lake part performs under a bevy of benchmarks.

We have additional details on the Core i9-11900 engineering sample that's floating. Simply put, it's a development version of the upcoming Core i9-11900 8-core/16-thread CPU, but with lower core frequencies than we'll see in the final release parts.
Bilibili verified the chip uses Intel's new integrated Xe Graphics, Intel's replacement for the previous UHD Graphics found in older desktop parts. Bilibili tried to install a notebook Xe Graphics driver to get more functionality out of the chip, but the driver would not install properly due to it being designed for notebook SKUs. At least we have confirmation Rocket Lake will be coming with Xe Graphics, though that's not going to be particularly critical for desktop parts that usually end up paired with a dedicated GPU.
For Cinebench R15, the Core i9-11900 (ES) scored 217 in the single-threaded test and 1929 in the multi-threaded test. That's a similar result to a Core i9 9900K from a few years ago. In Cinebench R20 the 11900 scored 529 points for the single-threaded benchmark and 4683 in the multi-threaded test.

For power consumption tests under AIDA64, the core i9-11900 averaged around 120W of power usage with the AVX2 instruction set, which is pretty typical and shouldn't be a problem for most coolers. However, that changes with the AVX-512 instruction set, which allows the CPU to hit 160W of power draw.

Bilibili also makes the point that this was all under the standard PL1 and PL2 ratings in the motherboard BIOS. PL1 is set to 65W and PL2 to 224W at default. If you fully unlock the PL2 limit (to 4096W) Bilibili says the 11900 will easily shoot beyond the default PL2 wattage which is 224W under AVX-512 workloads. Hopefully, Intel can further optimize AVX-512 workloads to not be as power-hungry as they are now with this Core i9 engineering sample.

Will AVX-512 be useful on Rocket Lake, or will it end up behaving more like a power virus? We'll have to wait for retail hardware, as early firmware and silicon could account for the current behavior. New for Rocket Lake, the activation of AVX-512 workloads shouldn't forcibly downclock all cores to the AVX turbo frequency. This can help a lot in AVX-512 scenarios that only require a couple of cores.

Again, this is an engineering sample, so performance is quite low right now. We expect performance to be much greater on the official SKUs coming next year.

https://www.techpowerup.com/276264/intel...ater-in-q1
Quote:Intel's 11th Generation Core "Rocket Lake-S" desktop processor family could be formally unveiled in just a few weeks from now, with HotHardware reporting a 2021 International CES unveiling (virtual event), for both the processors and their companion Intel 500-series chipset motherboards. This would put the unveiling around mid-January for the virtual launch event.

Availability is a different story, with the report predicting that while the Intel 500-series chipset motherboards will be available from mid-January, the processors won't arrive until March. Older reports predicted a market availability of these processors to almost miss Q1, and spill over into Q2 (April-June). Since "Rocket Lake-S" is based on the current LGA1200 package, the Intel 500-series chipset motherboards are expected to support existing 10th Gen Core "Comet Lake-S" processors, along with out-of-the-box support for the 11th Gen.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-...-benchmark
Quote:The emergence of the Core i7-11700KF (via Tum_Apisak) has put the Rocket Lake rumor mill into action. If a certain Ashes of the Singularity (AoTS) submission is to be trusted, Intel could offer 11th Generation Rocket Lake KF-series chips without integrated graphics as well. In Rocket Lake's case, it would lack the Xe graphics engine.
The Core i9-11900K, which made a brief appearance on Ashes of the Singularity, was allegedly operating with a 3.5 GHz base clock. The Core i7-11700KF from today's entry seemingly features a 3.6 GHz base clock. Perhaps, the base clock isn't meaningful, and Intel could end up using the boost clocks as the distinguishing feature between a Core i9 and a Core i7 SKU.

When paired with a GeForce RTX 3080, the Core i7-11700KF had an average framerate of 114.5 and a CPU framerate of 126.7 on the Crazy 1440p preset. For comparison, the Core i9-10900K put up a score with a framerate of 110.6 and a CPU framerate of 123.1, meaning that the Core i7-11700KF was up to 3.5% and 2.9% faster. It was a pretty impressive performance if you look at the details of each chip.

The Core i9-10900K not only has two more cores than the Core i7-11700KF, but also a 100 MHz base clock. Despite the handicap, the Core i7-11700KF still managed to pull ahead. While we know that the Core i9-10900K boosts up to 5.3 GHz, it remains a fact that the boost clock speed for the Core i7-11700KF is unknown.

Intel has previously bragged about its Cypress Cove microarchitecture, and how it'll offer consumers significant instructions per cycle (IPC) improvements up to two figures. We've already seen glimpses of what Cypress Cove cores are capable of so it's not improbable that an octa-core Rocket Lake chip can take on a deca-core Comet Lake part. Come the first quarter of 2021, we'll see whether Intel can deliver on its IPC promise.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/11900K...-overclock
Quote:Intel appears to be testing more and more of its future Rocket Lake processors, as more engineering samples have been spotted by @harukaze5719 on Twitter; including the flagship Core i9-11900K, a higher clocked i9-11900, and a new i7-11700. But perhaps the best news of all is that Intel has seemingly unlocked B560 to allow full overclocking support.
This is the first time we've seen the top-end Core i9-11900K engineering sample in the wild. According to Harukaze579, this chip has a base frequency of 4.3ghz and a turbo clock of 4.8ghz. This is promising because if the core frequencies are this high on an engineering sample, we could be seeing some crazy high turbo clocks on the official SKUs.

There also appears to be a new i9-11900 engineering sample floating around with a much higher frequency than the QVJ1 model we've been seeing. This model features a significantly higher base clock of 4 GHz (compared to 1.8Ghz) and a boost frequency of 4.5 GHz (before it was 3.8Ghz).

Harukaze5719 also shared a Cinebench R20 score for another Rocket Lake SKU, the Core i7-11700, which has a 3.8Ghz base clock along with a 4.3Ghz boost. It scored a multi-threaded score of 4672 points and 529 points in the single-threaded benchmark. For comparison, the multi-threaded score managed to just beat the Ryzen 5 5600X barely by a few hundred points. However, the single-core score is much more favorable and the i7-11700 managed to beat Intel's flagship i9-10900K Comet Lake-S SKU.

Next year will be very interesting for Intel. It looks like AMD's relentless competition is finally forcing Intel's hand in allowing its B series boards to overclock, which AMD has done on its B series boards since 1st Gen Ryzen. But, will backporting a new architecture to 14nm really pay off? We'll have to wait and see.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/mother...otherboard
Quote:Although Intel never explicitly expressed it, the general expectation was the impending 11th Generation Rocket Lake processors would slot fine into the current LGA1200 motherboard with the 400-series chipset. If there was any doubt, multiple motherboard manufacturers have officially confirmed the processors' backward compatibility.
While it's possible to enable Rocket Lake-S processors on all LGA1200 motherboards, we suspect that support will vary from one motherboard vendor to another. Besides the shift to the Cypress Cove microarchitecture, one of Rocket Lake-S's biggest attraction is PCIe 4.0 support. Nonetheless, some vendors might not have initially purposed some of their 400-series offering to support PCIe 4.0, especially the entry-level motherboards. That could be the explanation of why Biostar didn't mention Rocket Lake-S support on non-Z490 motherboards.

The current consensus is that Intel will probably take advantage of CES 2021 to announce Rocket Lake-S, which should come accompanied by new 500-series motherboards. Availability, however, is another story. If one Twitter user's roadmap is genuine, Intel might not commence Rocket Lake-S mass production until January 2021, meaning that the processors won't be hit the retailer shelves until February or even March.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-...ons-leaked
Quote:A Bilibili user (via harukaze5719) has posted a thread over at the Bilibili forums that expose the purported specifications of three Intel 11th Generation Rocket Lake-S processors. The chips are engineering samples that the user claims to have picked up on the black market, so final specifications will likely differ from those shown.

The first processor corresponds to the Core i9-11900, which comes equipped with an eight-core, 16-thread configuration and a 16MB L3 cache. The base clock is set at 1.8 GHz, while the single boost clock peaks at 4.5 GHz. The all-core boost on the Core i9-11900 appears to top out at 4 GHz. The Core i9-11900 is a 65W processor, but that's just the PL1 (power level 1) rating. The PL2 value is actually configured to 224W.

Both the Core i7-11700K and Core i7-11700 share the same core specifications as the Core i9-11900. In the case of the Core i7-11700K, the chip reportedly flaunts a 3.4 GHz base clock and a 4.8 GHz single base clock. The all-core boost clock is a bit lower at 4.3 GHz. Coming as no surprise, the Core i7-11700K features a 125W PL1 and a 250W PL2 rating.
According to the Bilibili user, the default XMP frequency for Rocket Lake-S is DDR4-3200. However, it was possible to pair the processors with DDR4-4133 memory on an unspecified B560 motherboard. This is a fascinating discovery as it appears that Intel might have enabled memory overclocking on the B560 chipset. If true, this would be a revolutionary change in the right direction since the chipmaker's lesser chipsets are historically limited to the officially supported memory frequency for that specific generation of processors. For example, existing B460, H470, and H410 motherboards are limited to DDR4-2933 memory modules, which are the Comet Lake-S processors' official specifications.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-...nch-5-leak
Quote:As spotted by Leakbench, Intel's unreleased Core i7-11700K has been ripped through the Geekbench 5 benchmark tool, and the alleged performance gains over last-gen parts are nothing to scoff at.

Single-core, the chip jots down a score of 1807 points, with a crypto score of 5423 points. Multi-core, it notes down 10,673 points. For comparison, currently, in our test suite, the AMD Ryzen 9 5950X tops the Geekbench 5 Single-core charts with a score of 1713 points, making Intel's Rocket Lake chip about 5.5% faster in single-threaded applications.

But, the catch to note with these scores is that Geekbench 5 uses AVX-512, which makes Intel's scores slightly inflated as only Rocket Lake supports it. Consequently, just because Intel's chip performs 5.5% faster in GeekBench 5, that does not mean it will perform faster than AMD's Zen 3 chips in real-world, single-threaded applications as there are no applications that use this yet -- and this is likely to remain so for quite some time to come.
Because of this AVX-512 discrepancy, it also remains to be seen whether Rocket Lake will catch up with AMD's chips for IPC in real-world use cases.
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/31...en-7-5800x
Quote:Leaked results from Intel’s upcoming Rocket Lake CPU have suggested that the new core could be more competitive with AMD’s Ryzen 5000 series than what we saw with the 10th Gen family. New Geekbench 5 leaks, taken with the usual spoonful of sodium chloride, continue to point in this direction.
The claimed clock speeds for the CPU imply that Intel has backported all of its IPC gains and only sacrificed a modest amount of clock to do it. WCCFTech reports that based on GeekBench 5 results, the Core i7-11700K is 1.34x faster in ST and 1.26x faster in MT compared with the Core i7-10700K. This is a little surprising relative to what we saw happen in mobile a few years back.
A 9 percent performance improvement is enough to declare clear victory over AMD at the eight-core level, but it won’t insulate 11th Gen Core CPUs from AMD’s ability to bring more cores to bear per-socket. The Core i7-11700K scores 1,810 and 11,304 compared to 1,697 / 13,963 for the Ryzen 9 5900X. Intel wins ST by about 1.06x against the 5900X and loses multi-threading by 1.23x.

Intel will, of course, launch a Core i9-11900K, and we can expect that chip to modestly increase its ST lead while reducing its MT loss, but an additional 4-8 percent performance isn’t going to dramatically change the equation. Of course, this does assume that an application scales effectively to 12 cores in the first place.

The big question mark will be whether Intel can retake the lead in gaming performance. That’s a critical consumer market that AMD arguably snagged away from Intel for the first time in over a decade, and Intel will be very interested in reclaiming it. Again, as always, treat leaked or early results with caution.

https://www.techpowerup.com/276480/biost...therboards
Quote:Biostar has recently confirmed that their Z490 motherboards will support Intel's upcoming 11th generation LGA 1200 Rocket Lake processors. Biostar also confirms this on their product listing pages which now list support for 10th and 11th generation Intel processors. Select ASRock Z490, W480, and H470 motherboards will also support the upcoming processors after a BIOS update. We expect more manufacturers to announce support for the new Rocket Lake processors in the days to come.
https://www.techpowerup.com/276625/intel...core-leaks
Quote:Intel is preparing to launch their latest generation Rocket Lake-S processors in the coming weeks. We recently saw some leaked Geekbench 5 scores for the eight-core Intel Core i7-11700K showing it beating the AMD Ryzen 9 5950X in single-core performance. We have recently received some new benchmarks for the i9-11900K and i7-11700K this time in CPU-Z showing them once again best AMD in single-core performance.

The Cypress Cove core design found in these upcoming processors is expected to bring double-digit IPC gains over Skylake and this is reflected in these scores. Take all these benchmarks with a healthy dose of skepticism as we have no way of confirming these numbers until we can test the chips ourselves. The Intel Core i9-11900K gets a single thread score of 695.4 and a multi-thread score of 6522.1 which puts it 19% ahead of the i9-10900K and 3% ahead of the AMD Ryzen 9 5950X in single-threaded performance. The processor still falls far behind the Ryzen 9 5950X in multi-threaded performance due to it having half the number of cores.

The Intel Core i7-11700K CPU-Z benchmark results were also leaked however the photo has been edited to hide the exact score. The i7-11700K scores 67X in single-threaded performance, and 63XX in multi-threaded performance. This puts it 18% ahead of the i7-10700K and close to or slightly below the Ryzen 9 5950X in single-core performance.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-...benchmarks
Quote:Intel's Rocket Lake-S processors have been rumored to debut at CES 2021, later this month. While we wait to see if there is any truth to the rumor, the Core i7-11700K (via Tum_Apisak) has appeared flexing its muscles in Geekbench 4.
In the Geekbench 4 submission, the Core i7-11700K obtained single-core score of 7,857 points. The Ryzen 9 5950X and Core i9-10900K scores 7,158 points and 6,438 points, respectively. This makes the Core i7-11700K up to 9.8% faster than the Ryzen 9 5950X and up to 22% faster than the Core i9-10900K in single-core performance in Geekbench 4.

On the multi-core test, the Core i7-11700K put up a score of 42,011 points. The Ryzen 9 5950X (59,164 points) with its 16 cores and 32 threads is logically out of the Core i7-11700K's league. Nevertheless, the Core i9-10900K scores 41,663 points in the multi-core section, hinting that the Core i7-11700K's multi-core performance is likely in the same wheelhouse as the Core i9-10900K, despite a two-core disadvantage with the latter.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/msi-co...unch-march
Quote:An MSI representative has reportedly shared some interesting information about Intel's pending 11th Generation Rocket Lake-S processors over at the Danawa forums. The company has since edited its answer (hat tip to @harukaze5719), but we grabbed a screenshot of the original reply and put it through Google Translate.

Many rumors claim that Intel may announce Rocket Lake-S at CES 2021 but that the processors probably won't hit the market until later. According to the statement, the Rocket Lake-S chips won't be available to the public until the end of March, lending some credibility to the rumors.
In other news, the statement also seemingly confirms that current 400-series motherboards, including the H410, B460, and Z490 chipsets would support Rocket Lake-S. This doesn't come as shocking news, considering that other motherboard manufacturers, such as ASRock and Biostar, already promote backward compatibility with 400-series motherboards.

As expected, 400-series motherboards will require a simple firmware upgrade to house the new Rocket Lake-S parts, which still dwell on the LGA1200 socket. According to the statement, MSI will prioritize Z490 motherboards first and consequently go down the product stack. Naturally, the company expects to get all its 400-series motherboard on to the new firmware before the Rocket Lake-S launch in March.

https://www.techpowerup.com/276739/intel...t-shortage
Quote:In the run-up to its mid-January unveil of its 11th Gen Core "Rocket Lake-S" desktop processors and companion Intel 500-series chipsets, we get our first look at the three 500-series chipset models from Intel's stable for the DIY client market. This includes the top-tier Intel Z590, the mid-range B560, and the entry-level H510. Intel even made logos for the three chipsets, which could appear on the retail packaging and marketing materials of motherboards. While 11th Gen Core "Rocket Lake-S" processors are expected to be backwards-compatible with existing 400-series chipset Socket LGA1200 motherboards; there are major advantages to choosing a 500-series motherboard.

To begin with, motherboards based on the Z590 chipset feature a fatter 8-lane DMI 3.0 chipset bus between the processor and the PCH, which doubles the chipset bus bandwidth to 64 Gbps per direction. 500-series chipset motherboards also feature one CPU-attached M.2 NVMe slot, which works with "Rocket Lake-S," as the processor puts out 28 PCIe lanes. 16 of these go toward the PEG interface, 8 toward the chipset bus, and four toward this dedicated NVMe slot. In related news, Chinese tech publication MyDrivers reports that Intel is staring at a motherboard chipset shortage going into Q1-2021, with availability of the entry-mid 400-series chipsets such as the H410 and B460 being scarce. This could impact motherboard pricing.
https://www.techpowerup.com/276784/intel...en-7-5800x
Quote:Hot on the heels of its Geekbench score leak, we have PassMark numbers for the upcoming Core i7-11700K "Rocket Lake-S" desktop processor, leaked to the web. The PassMark online score database lists performance obtained from a single i7-11700K sample, where it's shown to be trading blows with the Ryzen 7 5800X (score averaged from over 600 samples). The Intel chip scores 3548 points single-thread rating, compared to 3509 (average) of the 5800X, while its multi-threaded score of 54255 points falls short of the 54458 points of the 5800X (average). Both these chips are 8-core/16-thread.
While we haven't seen evidence of core-counts above 8 for these processors, Intel's play will be to restore gaming performance leadership that it lost to AMD's Ryzen 5000 "Zen 3" processors. Plagued by scalping and limited availability to genuine customers, AMD stares at its performance leadership not translating into brand equity before Intel's next-gen parts flood the market.
https://www.techpowerup.com/276801/biost...therboards
Quote:BIOSTAR has started teasing a new motherboard lineup to accompany the launch of Intel's Z500 series chipsets, which will offer support for the company's upcoming 11th gen Rocket Lake-S CPUs. So far, BIOSTAR has confirmed that two motherboards are being built around this new series, in the form of the Z590 Valkyrie (ATX) and Z590I Valkyrie (Mini-ITX). The tease showcases the motherboard series' logo, based of Valkyries' wings in what appears to be a black and white color philosophy, which might extend to the motherboards themselves. This could mean that BIOSTAR is now offering a slightly more toned-down design compared to their usual RACING motherboard series.
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/31...e-confirms
Quote:Gigabyte has confirmed that Intel will launch its Rocket Lake CPU refresh in March, as part of an announcement touting its own PCIe 4.0 support. Gigabyte announced today that if you own a Z490 motherboard, you’ll be getting a UEFI update to support Rocket Lake CPUs with full PCIe 4.0 support.
https://www.tomshardware.com/features/in...s-detailed
Quote:In conjunction with Intel’s Rocket Lake CPU announcements, board partners pulled back the curtain on several new Z590-based motherboards to go along with the upcoming chip. The new motherboards promise native PCIe 4.0 support (with Rocket Lake CPUs), USB 3.2 Gen2x2 support from the chipset and upgraded power delivery. Best of all, we’ll get to see some new board designs. All of the major board partners have released a slate of options based on the new chipset -- many of which we’ll eventually review -- and a select few may even make it to our best motherboards page.
At the time of this writing, Intel has not released the full details of the Z590 chipset. However, we do know a few things that differentiate Z590 from the previous-gen Z490. Unlike Z390 to Z490, the LGA 1200 socket remains the same, which in this case means both Rocket Lake-S and Comet Lake-S chips will work with Z590 based motherboards; Z490 requires a BIOS update to work with Rocket Lake processors. In addition to the flagship Z590 chipset, Intel is also releasing B560 and H510 chipsets. Typically these lesser chipsets are locked to prevent overclocking. However, there are rumors of B560 overclocking. Stay tuned on that front.

The most significant difference between the two chipsets is native PCIe 4.0 support when using a Rocket Lake processor. A Rocket Lake CPU shares 20 PCIe PCIe 4.0 lanes between the PCIe slots/GPU and M.2 socket/storage. It feels like Intel has finally caught up to AMD’s B550 chipset, at least, but still isn’t close to the lane count and flexibility of X570.

Another significant difference with Z590 is the DMI link between the chipset and CPU. On Z590, Intel has doubled the link speed, going from PCIe 3.0 x4 to x8. The jump to x8 effectively doubles the amount of bandwidth available for any chipset-connected devices (storage and networking for example). Additionally, the chipset now has native support for USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 (20 Gbps), so we should see these ultra-fast USB Type-A and Type-C ports on most Z590 motherboards.
Memory support for the new CPUs also gets a small bump from DDR4 2933 to DDR4 3200 when using the new Rocket Lake-based processors. The new value now matches AMD’s official maximum for memory support. Some of the new boards support overclocked DDR4 to speeds well over 5000 MHz - similar to what we saw with Z490. As usual, your mileage will vary, and working with the correct CPU (with a good integrated memory controller) and memory kit is critical when chasing high memory clocks. That said, the sweet spot for memory speeds and performance per dollar is likely around where it currently is, DDR4 3600-3800 with CL14/16. Much beyond that and the kits’ price goes up sharply while performance doesn’t follow linearly.
While Z590 has arrived, we still awhile to wait to see how the new CPUs fare, which is rather unfortunate. At some later point, lower-priced B560 and H510 chipset-based motherboards will be available. But at the time of this writing, there are over 45 Z590 boards to choose from. So if you’re looking to build a new system based on Intel’s latest, there should be something for everyone.

https://www.techpowerup.com/277227/intel...-annotated
Quote:Intel is betting big on an 8-core processor to revive its gaming performance leadership, and that chip is the 11th Generation Core "Rocket Lake-S," coming this March. In its 2021 International CES online event, Intel disclosed more details about "Rocket Lake-S," including the first true-color die-shot. PC enthusiast @Locuza_ on Twitter annotated the die for your viewing pressure. For starters, nearly half the die-area of the "Rocket Lake-S" is taken up by the uncore and iGPU, with the rest going to the eight "Cypress Cove" CPU cores.
The third major component is the uncore, which looks visibly larger than the one on the 8-core "Coffee Lake Refresh" silicon. This is because it features a PCI-Express Gen 4.0 switching fabric, and additional SerDes to put out 28 PCIe lanes, compared to just 20 on the older generation. We imagine the memory controllers are largely unchanged, as Intel is sticking with dual-channel DDR4 as the memory standard for "Rocket Lake-S." The switch to DDR5 could probably herald a new socket, with "Alder Lake-S."
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-...-up-tp-500
Quote:Intel's 11th Generation Rocket Lake-S processors are backward compatible with 400-series motherboards. If you prefer a new Z590 motherboard instead, Newegg has put up a couple for purchase.
For the time being, Newegg has listed eight Z590 motherboards, hailing from Asus, ASRock and Gigabyte. Some of the Asus models are readily available for order, while the Gigabyte and ASRock motherboards are on pre-order since they aren't expected to arrive at Newegg until February 5.

https://www.techpowerup.com/277815/at-st...der-stress
Quote:Intel's 11th Gen Core "Rocket Lake-S" processor is shaping up to be one hot chip. Enthusiasts on Chinese tech forum ChipHell with access to a Core i9-11900KF sample report, that when stressed at [apparently] stock settings, in which the processor hits its all-core boost frequency of 4.80 GHz, even a 360 mm all-in-one liquid CPU cooler struggles to keep the chip from hitting 100 °C, with core temperatures reaching 98 °C. The i9-11900KF comes with a disabled iGPU, which means all of its heat is generated by the core and uncore components of the GPU. AIDA64 was used, to apply multi-threaded stress on the processor (the burn-in test), while CPU-Z reports a core voltage of 1.401 V, it's not known whether this is a manual setting, the chip's VID, or whether the motherboard is trying to stabilize the 4.80 GHz clocks.
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/31...up-to-250w
Quote:Allowing the CPU to run as hot as 98C is less than ideal from an enthusiast’s perspective, but it also may demonstrate Intel is comfortable with allowing its silicon to run at this temperature. Years ago I had a conversation with an Intel engineer, who told me the company expected its then-current Nehalem and Westmere CPUs to run perfectly at 95C in 24/7 operation, and that the chips should be able to handle these kinds of temperatures for up to a decade, at minimum. This does not mean enthusiasts should chuck out their expensive coolers and let their chips bake under a $15 heatsink+fan, but the fact that the CPU can run up to 98C isn’t automatically a problem.

It’s not surprising (assuming this rumor is even accurate) to see the 11900KF running this hot. As we’ve recently discussed, motherboard OEMs often program enthusiast boards with system defaults that run the CPU at full boost clock for a much longer period of time than Intel specifies. Intel is aware of this and its own guidelines are recommendations, not requirements. Typically we would expect a CPU running AVX-512 code to down-clock itself. The fact that this hasn’t happened could mean Rocket Lake holds its clocks in AVX-512 workloads where other Intel CPUs step down. It could also indicate that the motherboard is configured not to drop the multiplier during AVX-512 when executing AVX-512 code. The fact that this chip hit 98C in an unknown configuration doesn’t mean this will be normal behavior for every CPU.

Intel has chosen to push Rocket Lake as far as it can while remaining backward compatible with Comet Lake, which includes defined TDP ranges. In this way, it’s not much different than AMD’s decision to keep the Ryzen 5000 series’s maximum TDPs identical to their Ryzen 3000 counterparts. Intel can still claim a power efficiency gain, so long as it completes workloads in less time than 10th Gen chips within the same power envelope.

Rocket Lake is expected to deliver strong performance gains in single-threaded workloads and a somewhat smaller uplift in multi-threaded workloads. Comet Lake topped out with 10 cores while Rocket Lake only offers eight, but the IPC gains are expected to mostly or entirely compensate. AVX-512 support may even give the eight-core Core i9-11900K a few wins over the 10-core Comet Lake, though this will depend on benchmark support.

We’ll know more when Rocket Lake launches at the end of March.
https://www.techpowerup.com/278246/intel...ocket-lake
Quote:In a controversial move that baffles our technical understanding of how processor+chipset (platforms) work, Intel has decided to restrict the mid-tier B460 and entry-level H410 desktop motherboard chipsets from supporting 11th Gen Core "Rocket Lake-S" processors. A BIOS Updates Support page for Intel 400-series chipsets on the company website mentions "Motherboards based on Intel B460 or H410 chipsets are not compatible with upcoming 11th Gen Intel Core processors."

The company states that only the top Intel Z490 and next-best H470 chipsets support "Rocket Lake-S" from the 400-series, and such motherboards require a BIOS update from the motherboard manufacturer or pre-built OEM. We're having a hard time figuring out why the B460 or H410 have been excluded. With the H410, an argument can be made on insufficient CPU VRM capabilities of most motherboards; but the same can't be made for the B460, with several motherboard manufacturers having developed premium DIY motherboards with capable VRM solutions (eg: the ROG B460-F Gaming, or B460 AORUS Elite). Those looking to save some dough on mid-tier motherboards to use with "Rocket Lake" should now wait for Intel to launch the B560 chipset.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/vendor...-lake-lock
Quote:Motherboard vendors are reportedly releasing revised H410 and B460 motherboards with the H470 chipset to provide Rocket Lake support. This tactic allows them to circumvent Intel's new rules, which only allow support for Rocket Lake chips on Z490 and H470 motherboards while not allowing support on H410 and B460.

Intel's incoming 11th-Gen Rocket Lake processors continue to use the LGA1200 socket and are backwards compatible with some, but not all 400-series chipsets. Owners of Z490 and H470 motherboards can access Rocket Lake with a simple firmware upgrade provided by the vendor. Lamentably, H410 and B460 owners are out of luck, and it's not because Intel decided to maliciously lock out Rocket Lake support for the two budget chipsets.

The reason why H410 and B460 do not support Rocket Lake processors is that the chipsets are based on a different and older 22nm process node. To bypass the limitation, motherboard manufacturers would basically have to sneak in the H470 chipset into their H410 and B460 motherboards to provide Rocket Lake compatibility although they will continue to market the products as H410 and B460.
Here's some other food for thought. With the 500-series chipset, Intel has increased the DMI link from the chipset to the processor from the previous x4 to a x8 connection. The wider DMI link improves the bandwidth available to devices that are connected to the chipset. The kicker is that the B560 and H510 chipsets retain the x4 connection. We're not saying that it will happen, but it's not unreasonable to think that motherboard vendors could potentialy enable the x8 connection for the B560 and H510 motherboards through a similar technique.

We know that sometimes product revisions don't always live up to what they pretend to be. However, we're all in favor if they're in the benefit of the consumer. In this case, the revised H410 and B460 motherboards provide a cost-effective upgrade path for users that want to jump on the Rocket Lake train, but don't want to spend too much on a 500-series motherboard.
https://www.techpowerup.com/278554/intel...erformance
Quote:When AMD announced its Ryzen 5000 series of processors based on the new Zen 3 architecture, the performance of these processors was the best on the market. Even in our own testing, we have found that AMD's Zen 3 core is the highest performing core on the market, even beating Intel's latest and greatest, the 10th generation of Core processors. However, Intel has been doing some silent work and the company has developed a new core to be used in the 11th generation "Rocket Lake" platform. Codenamed Cypress Cove, the design is representing a backport of the 10 nm Sunny Cove design, supposed to bring around 19% IPC improvement across the board.

If you were wondering if that was enough to catch up with AMD's Zen 3 IPC performance, look no further because we have Geekbench 5 performance results of Intel's 35 Watt Core i9-11900T processor. Having a base frequency of only 1.51 GHz, the CPU is capable of boosting one or two cores to the very high speed of 4.9 GHz, giving us a good example of the single-threaded performance we can expect from this CPU. In GB5 tests, the Core i9-11900T has managed to score 1717 points in the single-threaded test and 8349 points in multi-threaded results. Comparing that to something like AMD Ryzen 5800X, which scores 1674 points in single-threaded results, Rocket Lake's Cypress Cove core has managed to be 2.5% faster than Zen 3. However, in multi-threaded results, the AMD chip is unmatched as the low TDP of the Intel processor is stopping it from reaching full performance.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/11600k-geekbench5
Quote:With Rocket Lake's release date approaching, testers are getting their hands on more and more SKUs from Intel's future Rocket Lake lineup; this time, we have benchmark results of Intel's future Core i5-11600K (thanks to @Leakbench). The 11600K was found running the Geekbench 5 benchmark with mediocre performance at best, though, as usual, pricing will determine if it lands on our list of Best CPUs.
That's not all that will be slowing down Intel's 11600K, unfortunately. The system configuration for the 11600K shows it being paired with super-slow DDR4-2133 memory. This will noticeably hamper performance, so take the upcoming benchmark results with another dose of salt — they certainly won't represent what we'll see in our CPU benchmark hierarchy when these chips come to market.
Again though, take these results with a huge grain of salt. Geekbench 5 already has a poor reputation for translating well to real-world results, and adding in slow memory complicates the findings.

The Rocket Lake release is coming soon next month, so hopefully, by that time we'll have a review sample of the 11600K to test for ourselves and give you an in-depth look into how this chip really performs against our best gaming CPUs.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-...aging-leak
Quote:When Intel's Core i9-9900K came out a few years back, it came with some wacky 'dodecahedron' packaging. This packaging looked awesome and quickly went on its way to become a collector's item, right up until it was killed off due to shipping difficulties.

Then, for the 10th-Gen chips, Intel also made a special edition packaging for the range-topping i9-10900K -- but guess what -- it also got discontinued because it was a pain to ship.

Now, a new report on VideoCardz appears to suggest that Intel is willing to give it yet another go with its Rocket Lake CPUs that will soon vie for the top spot in our CPU benchmarks hierarchy.
Of course -- they won't all go in the first week -- or months even. But Intel didn't keep the special edition packaging around for very long with the last two chips because of the wasteful and expensive shipping issues, and it wouldn't surprise us if this new packaging ends up suffering the same fate. If you have plans to purchase an i9-11900K, it might be worth not waiting longer than half a year with your purchase if you're in love with this new packaging and want to keep it as a memento.

Or just buy it on eBay later for $20.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/techtu...-i711700QS
Quote:Intel's 11th Gen Core CPUs might be weeks away from launch, but that hasn't stopped a TechTuber from getting his hands on a qualifying sample of a Core i7-11700 to test. The Rocket Lake chip was put through a bunch of gaming, productivity, and synthetic benchmarks.

Qualifying samples are the final "prototype" chips to be produced before the real model enters production. So this i7-11700 QS is as close to the real thing as it gets. But, to state the obvious, this Rocket Lake SKU does not represent the final product, and drivers for the chip are still not finalized. So performance is subject to change.
Overall the results are interesting, but inconclusive at best. Since this is a qualifying unit, with unfinished drivers and a buggy L3 cache, there's no telling what shipping performance will actually be until all the bugs get ironed out and we see full-blown production variants of Rocket Lake out in the wild. At best, these results can give us some idea as to how the Core i7-11700 will compare to its arch-rival, the Ryzen 7 5800X. But if Intel delivers similar performance and can crank out Rocket Lake-S at volumes that actually meet demand, the blue team will undoubtedly sell a fair amount of its new silicon, despite yet another 14nm process node.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/i9-11900k-geekbench-4
Quote:Courtesy of database detective @Leakbench on Twitter, we now have our first decent look at how Intel's next-gen Core i9-11900K Rocket Lake CPU will perform in our CPU Benchmark hierarchy. This test is the first clear result from Geekbench 4 for the 11900K, which is nice to see as it can be a more accurate gauge of raw CPU performance than the other benchmark results we've seen, like Passmark or Geekbench 5. The latest test results show that Rocket Lake will assuredly climb the gaming ranks, and if the price is right, the new chips could upset our list of Best CPUs.
Intel claims a 19% increase in IPC for the Rocket Lake chips, and that appears to be roughly accurate in this test. The Core i9-11900K was ~15% faster than its predecessor, the 10900K, in the single-core tests.

However, looking at the multi-core results, the inverse happens and the 10900K is 6.5% faster due to its higher core count. That's actually pretty impressive, though: The ten-core Core i9-10900K has two more cores than the eight-core Core i9-11900K, so we expected a much larger advantage in favor of the chip with two extra cores. Increased IPC truly floats all boats.

But against the 5800X, the single-core results are much closer, naturally, with Zen 3's much higher IPC performance. Here the 11900K pulls ahead of the 5800X by a mere 4.4%. Strangely though, the 5800X pulls ahead of the 11900K in the multi-core department by 17%, which is a larger delta than we expected because these are both eight-core chips.

This is but one benchmark, though, and several factors could influence the score, including early firmware with the Core i9-11900K. We expect more mature BIOS revisions will be headed out before launch. In either case, these results paint a competitive picture for the desktop PC space soon, one in which price (and supply in light of the shortages) will be exceedingly important.

https://www.techpowerup.com/278907/rocke...ance-intel
Quote:Intel claims that its upcoming 11th Gen Core "Rocket Lake-S" desktop processors offer up to 11% higher storage performance than competing AMD Ryzen 5000 processors, when using the CPU-attached M.2 NVMe slot. A performance slide released by Intel's Ryan Shrout shows a Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB PCI-Express 4.0 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD performance on a machine powered by a Core i9-11900K processor, compared to one powered by an AMD Ryzen 9 5950X. PCMark 10 Quick System Drive Benchmark is used to evaluate storage performance on both machines. On both machines a separate drive is used as the OS/boot drive, and the Samsung 980 PRO is used as a test drive, free from any OS role.

The backup page for the slide provides details of the system configurations used for both machines. What it doesn't mention, however, is whether on the AMD machine, the 980 PRO was installed on the CPU-attached M.2 NVMe slot, or one that's attached to the AMD X570 chipset. Unlike the Intel Z590, the AMD X570 puts out downstream PCI-Express 4.0, which motherboard designers can use to put out additional NVMe Gen 4 slots. On the Intel Z590 motherboard, the M.2 NVMe Gen 4 slot the drive was tested on is guaranteed to be the CPU-attached one, as the Z590 PCH puts out PCIe Gen 3 downstream lanes. A PCI-Express 4.0 x4 link is used as chipset bus on the AMD X570, offering comparable bandwidth to the DMI 3.0 x8 (PCI-Express 3.0 x8) employed on the Intel Z590. A drive capable of attaining 7 GB/s sequential transfers should be in a sub-optimal situation on a chipset-attached M.2 slot. It would be nice if Intel clears this up in an update to its backup.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/rocket...ook-laptop
Quote:Even though Intel's Rocket Lake-S processors haven't officially been released, that hasn't stopped a Chinese laptop manufacturer, Hasee, from updating its current laptop offerings with desktop-based Rocket Lake parts and releasing them into the wild.

This is the second time we've seen a company violate Intel's official Rocket Lake launch date - the first was a German e-tailer that sold over a hundred Rocket Lake chips a few days ago.
Theoretically, the biggest benefit of going with a desktop CPU in a notebook chassis is the higher clock speeds gained from the extra power the CPU can consume.

Hasee's choice is especially interesting in that they chose mid-range parts like the Core i5-11400 and i7-11700 which feature a rather low 65W TDP. 65W is a wattage modern mobile CPUs are capable of hitting in thicker notebook chassis with the introduction of more aggressive Turbo Boosting algorithms and configurable TDPs.

The good news is if you want a Rocket Lake chip ahead of launch, you now have another way of getting it, as long as you're prepared to pay international shipping fees.