Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Valve Has Killed The Steam Machine
http://www.maximumpc.com/valve_announces...e_gdc_2015
Damn, my prophecy came true. The only unique functionalities Steam Machines had, game streaming and the Steam Controller, just got outsourced to a $49.99 game streaming box and a $99.98 bundle. RIP, Steam Machines.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
And now Trollpoppin is denying on ABT that the bottom fell out of the Steam Machines. So what if Falcon Northwest and Alienware are running new Steam Machines: they'll be too expensive for most people, let alone the console market, and everyone will configure them with Windows, if they don't just buy a Steam Link and Steam Controller.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
Now he's saying I did a fabrication. Ha ha. Valve put the only unique features of the Steam Machines into cheaper alternatives in a smaller size which has proven itself to be attractive in the living room for optical media players, TiVo, and Roku. That constitutes killing the Steam Machines, no question about it. Note that they've priced the bundle at 49.99 for Steam Link + 29.99 for Steam Controller + $20 extra profit margin. That right there is a dead giveaway that Valve expects the bundle of the long awaited Steam Controller and the cheap, useful Steam Link to sell like an AIDS cure. And every sale of Steam Link, the Steam Controller, or the bundle, with the unique features of the Steam Machines, is one less sale of the Steam Machines. In short, I am right, Trollpoppin is wrong, and I did not fabricate jack shit.

Edit: The reason I said to continue on ABT is because I don't want to have to post any further on BTR.

Edit 2: The Steam Machine OEMs haven't gotten the message, and are putting out their new Steam Machines that will have to be sold at a loss, and with Windows. Further proving my point about the desirability of the Steam Link's functionality and form factor, TechReport is already describing the Steam Link as "a Chromecast for games": http://techreport.com/news/27901/valve-5...-for-games

And a commenter there who dares point out the truth is shouted down by the Steam fanboys. You can criticize the Steam Link there, but not the sacred Steam Machines:
Quote:They announced Steam streaming devices way back when they announced Steam machines, this was always part of the plan.
Dead wrong. Valve only publicly stated they were considering Steam streaming boxes.
Nowhere does your link state that valve is getting rid of the steam machines. That statement was false. We will not miss your anti valve nonsense at btr should you choose to leave.
(03-06-2015, 03:45 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Nowhere does your link state that valve is getting rid of the steam machines. That statement was false. We will not miss your anti valve nonsense at btr should you choose to leave.
I've already left BTR, but made an exception for this topic. As I've already explained, Valve has killed the Steam Machines, if only semi-officially. They've already unofficially admitted failure by not including SteamOS marketshare in the Steam Hardware and Software Survey.

Edit: Valve has now announced the Steam Controller price will be $50, not 29.99. My mistake.
Well tbh I think Mark was very fair and patient with you at btr. It's a shame that you can't resist posting these bait threads about valve and other companies that you don't like.
(03-06-2015, 05:52 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Well tbh I think Mark was very fair and patient with you at btr. It's a shame that you can't resist posting these bait threads about valve and other companies that you don't like.
Yeah, he was so fair and patient that when I gave him the opportunity to give me an alternative explanation to TechReport's being bribed by Fractal Design, he refused, edited my post for me when I would have done so if he had given me an alternative explanation, and called me a libeler. David, ban this *********** and banish him back to BTR where he belongs.
Ban me for what exactly? And what name did you call me? It's been censored.
(03-06-2015, 06:40 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Ban me for what exactly? And what name did you call me? It's been censored.
I censored it myself, to avoid banning. Begone.
(03-06-2015, 06:48 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote:
(03-06-2015, 06:40 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Ban me for what exactly? And what name did you call me? It's been censored.
I censored it myself, to avoid banning. Begone.
Oh noes! You called me a name that you're afraid to say! I have never been so upset! You want Dave to ban me as well. Please give me some time so I can go away and cry about that. LOL
(03-06-2015, 07:14 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Oh noes! You called me a name that you're afraid to say! I have never been so upset! You want Dave to ban me as well. Please give me some time so I can go away and cry about that. LOL
I actually give a shit about this place, unlike you.

Anyway, Steam Machines are out, and already people are pointing out the issues: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/thread...st-3249509
Quote:I'm wondering if anywhere on the SM part of the site they actually tell you what the current number of games is in the made-for-SteamOS library. Just saying "Play the largest library of games" is very misleading, unless of course you want to install Windows and just use it as an alternate form of PC. Which makes getting a Steam Machine kinda pointless.

The amount of time and money it takes to make current gen games Steam OS compatible, plus the many games that won't likely ever be open to it due to competing game browsers, makes me wonder if it will ever be practical.

A gaming platform is only as good as the variety and quality of it's content, esp one so close in design to a PC. Not only that, there is Dx12 and performance enhancing features coming for graphics hardware next year, which will make it an even tougher sell.

And what about modding made for Windows games via simple file editing or via one of many tools compatible with Windows? Will all that go away? SteamOS appears to be a mere browser OS, with no file access like Windows.
Not to mention the most expensive ones are going to stick in console gamer's minds. Remember the PS3? There was a $499 version and a $599 version. Did we ever hear about the $499 version? Nope, all we heard was "$599, $599, $599". Same thing will happen with the Steam Machines.
(03-06-2015, 11:59 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote: I actually give a shit about this place, unlike you.
Ah yes because you can read my mind and you know exactly what I care about.

I love this forum actually but it's gone downhill with Mark gone. You are just running around wild posting misinformation and nonsense. apoppin was the biggest contributor to this forum and now he's gone. It's going to take time for this place to recover and grow.
Star 
SteelCrysis Wrote:Not to mention the most expensive ones are going to stick in console gamer's minds.  Remember the PS3?  There was a $499 version and a $599 version.  Did we ever hear about the $499 version?  Nope, all we heard was "$599, $599, $599".  Same thing will happen with the Steam Machines.

Yes, well, you will make sure of that here, won't you?!  Rolleyes  [Image: thumbsdown.png]
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(03-06-2015, 09:14 PM)gstanford Wrote:
SteelCrysis Wrote:Not to mention the most expensive ones are going to stick in console gamer's minds.  Remember the PS3?  There was a $499 version and a $599 version.  Did we ever hear about the $499 version?  Nope, all we heard was "$599, $599, $599".  Same thing will happen with the Steam Machines.

Yes, well, you will make sure of that here, won't you?!  Rolleyes  [Image: thumbsdown.png]
Nope. Console audience will, though.
I still want to know the name that you called me. Tongue
I'll post this little nugget that apoppin posted at BTR here.

apoppin Wrote:http://www.techtimes.com/articles/37768/...-5-000.htm

Quote:There are 15 computer manufacturers that will be making Steam Machines, with their respective products now posted on the Steam store with complete details for browsing.

The manufacturers include Alienware, Alternate, Asus, Digital Storm, Falcon Northwest, Gigabyte, iBuyPower, Maingear, Materiel.net, NextBox, Origin PC, Scan Computers, Syber, Webahllen and Zotac. Prices range from hundreds of dollars to a few thousand dollars, which means that gamers with varying budgets will definitely have a choice among the upcoming Steam Machines.
15 manufacturers committed to producing Steam Machines means that Valve has expanded its original Steam machine program.

SteamOS/Machines aren't going away no matter how hard MS fans wish it would.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
Pwn3d
Not really. Valve has done whatever BSing it needs to, probably held over their heads Valve's unspoken influence over the gaming media and brainwashed userbase, probably told them all about the upcoming ports while leaving out the virtually non-existent back library, and definitely didn't tell them about Steam Link. We saw a lot of Steam Machines OEMs at CES 2014 AKA the death of Steam Machines.
Oh well, if the vendors truly are gullible enough to be conned by Valve like you seem to think they that is their problem not ours.

Personally I don't think they are as gullible as you do - I believe they know exactly what they are getting themselves into.

(03-06-2015, 06:56 PM)SickBeast Wrote:
(03-06-2015, 11:59 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote: I actually give a shit about this place, unlike you.
Ah yes because you can read my mind and you know exactly what I care about.

I love this forum actually but it's gone downhill with Mark gone.  You are just running around wild posting misinformation and nonsense.  apoppin was the biggest contributor to this forum and now he's gone.  It's going to take time for this place to recover and grow.

He called you all "no life losers" in print and told you all to "F-off", then abandoned the forum.

I'd think we can raise the bar a little higher than that, a little decency could go a long way.

As far as STEAM machines go, I've been hearing about that for years. A concept that never took off.
Are you talking about apoppin? I don't remember him saying that.
Steam Controller reviewed, it's a niche product at best:

(03-11-2015, 03:14 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Are you talking about apoppin? I don't remember him saying that.

PM me, don't want to take this thread off topic with links to that.
(03-11-2015, 05:57 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:
(03-11-2015, 03:14 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Are you talking about apoppin? I don't remember him saying that.

PM me, don't want to take this thread off topic with links to that.
If that was your intention then why did you quote me and make such a comment to begin with?