Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
R9 300 Series Delayed To Computex
http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphi...-computex/
Apparently AMD hasn't been successful in moving out old inventory, and needs more time for that.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
(03-06-2015, 10:10 PM)SteelCrysis Wrote: http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphi...-computex/
Apparently AMD hasn't been successful in moving out old inventory, and needs more time for that.

Here's what people don't realize about AMDs situation, even though I've tried to tell them. (and I can't take credit for this- a guy at NVIDIA told me this long ago)

AMD is a MUCH larger company than ATi was. ATi couldn't float AMDs overhead with half of the discrete graphics market, they were barely floating themselves on it.

So now you have all these people saying "AMD graphics will keep them afloat and prosperous.".

MAYBE if AMD basically jettisons the long ailing cpu business because AMD GPUs do indeed generally compete much better than AMD CPUs. Not happening with the millstone of the CPU business dragging them down, the RD resources are spread far too thin.

So the wait between generations for both lengthens and marketshare drops.

BTW- I have a 290/4690 in one box, a 980/4790K in the other. Don't game nearly as much anymore, hobbies are more outdoors oriented.
I wonder what you think of this analysis I posted on BTR. Basically, it goes like this: Nvidia may have made its biggest strategic blunder with Maxwell. The boost in efficiency gave them 2 choices: keep the TDP the same and blast performance into space, or go for a balance between TDP reduction and performance boost. They went with the latter. This was a mistake, due to the explosion of 4K, and due to the fact that AMD has demonstrated that 650W is nothing if you just slap a CLC on it. If AMD read the explosion of 4K right, and focuses on option 1, they could embarrass Nvidia quite severely in performance. After all, that leak of benchmarks for the 380X or 390X has the single GPU card approaching the R9 295X2.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
(03-09-2015, 03:54 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote: I wonder what you think of this analysis I posted on BTR.  Basically, it goes like this: Nvidia may have made its biggest strategic blunder with Maxwell.  The boost in efficiency gave them 2 choices: keep the TDP the same and blast performance into space, or go for a balance between TDP reduction and performance boost.  They went with the latter.  This was a mistake, due to the explosion of 4K, and due to the fact that AMD has demonstrated that 650W is nothing if you just slap a CLC on it.  If AMD read the explosion of 4K right, and focuses on option 1, they could embarrass Nvidia quite severely in performance.  After all, that leak of benchmarks for the 380X or 390X has the single GPU card approaching the R9 295X2.

I think Nvidias move works because there is no 4K "explosion".

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

.05% is a tiny percent of the market. Requirements of 4K gaming and cost of decent 4K monitors will keep it low for some time.

Not to mention we have no clue what NV has in the pipeline ready to drop. Dual 980 card? Apparently bigger Maxwell, Titan X. Maxwell GTX?

I don't personally care who wins ye olde video card war, but I'll take NVs product line + vaporware over AMDs at present.