Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rollo
GINA.... strike that, lol!!
G, you so hypocritical that you need to bitch-smack your lips after every sentence you say!

G, you're a split-personality of a 4-year-old and a demented 85-year-old in a man's body carrying a PS3 on his backpack. Sometimes you can figure it out, and sometimes you can't!
"Skyrim on a GTX 970 SLI at 1600p rocks, or Skyrim on a PS3 at 720p rocks (it can only be one or the other, never anything in between, and 4K sucks)!"

Geez. Don't suck so hard that your finger cannot help but plug it in!

Just kidding with you, pal. Yes, I'm a 5-year old goofball when I want to be!
It definitely makes no sense to be against 4K, it's the first resolution we've hit where you can live without AA.
(12-14-2015, 05:06 PM)BoFox Wrote: G, you so hypocritical that you need to bitch-smack your lips after every sentence you say!

G, you're a split-personality of a 4-year-old and a demented 85-year-old in a man's body carrying a PS3 on his backpack.  Sometimes you can figure it out, and sometimes you can't!  
"Skyrim on a GTX 970 SLI at 1600p rocks, or Skyrim on a PS3 at 720p rocks (it can only be one or the other, never anything in between, and 4K sucks)!"

Geez.  Don't suck so hard that your finger cannot help but plug it in!

Just kidding with you, pal.  Yes, I'm a 5-year old goofball when I want to be!

You are an idiot. I only ever played Skyrim at 1600p back when it was a new release and I was still using my 30" 2560x1600 monitor. Nowadays I play Skyrim on PC at 4K without needing a 4K monitor thanks to the wonders of nvidia's DSR.

Skyrim @ 4K on a highend PC does not make Skyrim @ 720p on a PS3 suck, they are two vastly different systems at vastly different price points. The PS3 plays Skyrim brilliantly for an 8 year old system with limited resources and a $200 price tag. The PC version should hang its head in shame since the increase in performance sure as hell doesn't increase in line with the price tag!
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(12-14-2015, 05:58 PM)gstanford Wrote:
(12-14-2015, 05:06 PM)BoFox Wrote: G, you so hypocritical that you need to bitch-smack your lips after every sentence you say!

G, you're a split-personality of a 4-year-old and a demented 85-year-old in a man's body carrying a PS3 on his backpack.  Sometimes you can figure it out, and sometimes you can't!  

Geez.  Don't suck so hard that your finger cannot help but plug it in!

Just kidding with you, pal.  Yes, I'm a 5-year old goofball when I want to be!

You are an idiot.  I only ever played Skyrim at 1600p back when it was a new release and I was still using my 30" 2560x1600 monitor.  Nowadays I play Skyrim on PC at 4K without needing a 4K monitor thanks to the wonders of nvidia's DSR.

Skyrim @ 4K on a highend PC does not make Skyrim @ 720p on a PS3 suck, they are two vastly different systems at vastly different price points.  The PS3 plays Skyrim brilliantly for an 8 year old system with limited resources and a $200 price tag.  The PC version should hang its head in shame since the increase in performance sure as hell doesn't increase in line with the price tag!

You pisstard, what would you call me if I downsampled 1080p to a 480p CRT TV from the late 90's?  It's like a guy with a perfectly fine 20/20 vision putting on 20/80 glasses.  Your 2x GTX 970's in SLI could play many games at 4K with some kind of AA, so it's more ideal to match the $800 GPU tango with a decent 4K TV that doesn't cost too much more than a 1080p TV.

"Without needing a 4K monitor...."  like saying downsampled 1080p on 480p without needing a 1080p monitor.   Rolleyes

That would have been nice for the low-detail PS2 games (and maybe Gamecube/Wii games), but games like Dying Light would truly appreciate 4K with some kind of AA, at crisp 2160p output.
You can use MSAA, MFAA and even RG:SSAA along with DSR on nvidia. No idea on Radeon crap & VSR but judging by your idiotic outburst, probably not.

DSR works extremely well, the console text in skyrim is perfectly legible using 4K DSR @1080p despite being rendered very small.

You simply don't have a clue....

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(12-16-2015, 10:27 PM)gstanford Wrote: You can use MSAA, MFAA and even RG:SSAA along with DSR on nvidia.  No idea on Radeon crap & VSR but judging by your idiotic outburst, probably not.

DSR works extremely well, the console text in skyrim is perfectly legible using 4K DSR @1080p despite being rendered very small.

I know, but are you nucking futs?  You think you're Sucking Fexy, but I think Fexy is too good for you and your 1080p downsampling from say, 8x MSAA with 4K internal rendering. 

Pisstard: "Look at me, I'm doing downsampling from 1080p with 32x CSAA plus 8x TRSSAA, onto my 480p CRT TV from 1998.  Therefore I do not need a 1080p TV, because my 480p CRT looks better than 1080p."

It's a stupid waste of GPU power to be rendering 4K with 8x TRSSAA, and then downsample that right down to 1/4 the pixel count.  Spend $800 on video cards, and then dumb down your vision from 20/20 with those 20/80 glasses... Sucking Fexy, eh?  I tell you, it looks good to you just because the screen was blown off your window by DSR, but you still need to take off those damn glasses.
BoFox Wrote:I know, but are you nucking futs?
Nope, I'm not but you sure as hell are! You are only making yourself look stupid, not me!

You can't purchase a 55" 4K TV for the same price I paid for my 1080p TV, it is that simple. Even if you could I'd be in no hurry to go get one. DSR does a good enough job for gaming.

BoFox, What nvidia card(s) are you using (for DSR)? Maxwell, Kepler or older generation?

The answer is important due to a claim you made above....

(12-17-2015, 02:42 PM)gstanford Wrote:
BoFox Wrote:I know, but are you nucking futs?
Nope, I'm not but you sure as hell are!  You are only making yourself look stupid, not me!

You can't purchase a 55" 4K TV for the same price I paid for my 1080p TV, it is that simple.  Even if you could I'd be in no hurry to go get one.  DSR does a good enough job for gaming.

I'm inclined to agree with you that 4K tvs are a bust so far.

No content, have to sit in the middle of your room to see the difference- not exactly compelling reasons to ditch the 1080p tvs yet.

4K monitors are a different story though. You sit on top of monitors already, and the difference is obvious. DSR is good, but not as good as 4K native res.
If you are sitting back roughly a body length from the TV for gaming like I do then DSR is fine.

If you want to do productivity work then DSR isn't what you want.

I will get around to getting a 4K TV eventually, I'd say its about 18 months away at least.

Hardly any 4K TV's have a VGA port though and HDMI is crap for hooking a PC up to a TV, too much playing around with the signal. hopefully display port will become a thing on TV's for PC input.

(12-17-2015, 06:02 PM)gstanford Wrote: If you are sitting back roughly a body length from the TV for gaming like I do then DSR is fine.

I will get around to getting a 4K TV eventually, I'd say its about 18 months away at least.

Hardly any 4K TV's have a VGA port though and HDMI is crap for hooking a PC up to a TV, too much playing around with the signal.  hopefully display port will become a thing on TV's for PC input.

I will buy a 4k tv when I've heard a good reason to.

Not moving my couch and recliners to the middle of the living room for dubious gains on rare content. Also not moving a pc capable of DSR or whatever into my living room.

4K TVs are half baked at present, IMO.
(12-17-2015, 03:20 PM)gstanford Wrote: BoFox, What nvidia card(s) are you using (for DSR)?  Maxwell, Kepler or older generation?

The answer is important due to a claim you made above....

I had 2 Maxwells, but quickly sold them - didn't use them for long.  Got the idea, though.  Still using my GTX 780, 760, HD 7950 (sold off 7970 and R9 290), etc..  No time for serious gaming.  What my sons play with aren't too demanding, and I try not to spend $500+ on video cards since the Bitcoin mining craze died off.

You do know that Kepler supports DSR as well?

EDIT - hot damn, Bitcoins just went back up to $450 after hovering around $180-250 forever! http://bitcoincharts.com/
Thank you.

So you would have us believe that a GTX 780 is capable of running games at DSR 4K plus 32x CSAA, would you?  (it is what you claimed in post 47).  I know that you were not talking about the Maxwell cards when you claimed this (do you want to tell us why I would know this or would you like to claim I am wrong and it was the Maxwells you were referring to?)

http://alienbabeltech.com/forum/showthre...14#pid5814
(12-17-2015, 02:03 PM)BoFox Wrote:
(12-16-2015, 10:27 PM)gstanford Wrote: You can use MSAA, MFAA and even RG:SSAA along with DSR on nvidia. No idea on Radeon crap & VSR but judging by your idiotic outburst, probably not.

I know, but are you nucking futs? You think you're Sucking Fexy, but I think Fexy is too good for you and your 1080p downsampling from say, 8x MSAA with 4K internal rendering.

Pisstard: "Look at me, I'm doing downsampling from 1080p with 32x CSAA plus 8x TRSSAA, onto my 480p CRT TV from 1998. Therefore I do not need a 1080p TV, because my 480p CRT looks better than 1080p."

It's a stupid waste of GPU power to be rendering 4K with 8x TRSSAA, and then downsample that right down to 1/4 the pixel count. Spend $800 on video cards, and then dumb down your vision from 20/20 with those 20/80 glasses... Sucking Fexy, eh? I tell you, it looks good to you just because the screen was blown off your window by DSR, but you still need to take off those damn glasses.

(12-18-2015, 05:40 AM)gstanford Wrote: Thank you.

So you would have us believe that a GTX 780 is capable of running games at DSR 4K plus 32x CSAA, would you?  (it is what you claimed in post 47).  I know that you were not talking about the Maxwell cards when you claimed this (do you want to tell us why I would know this or would you like to claim I am wrong and it was the Maxwells you were referring to?)

http://alienbabeltech.com/forum/showthre...14#pid5814
(12-17-2015, 02:03 PM)BoFox Wrote:
(12-16-2015, 10:27 PM)gstanford Wrote: You can use MSAA, MFAA and even RG:SSAA along with DSR on nvidia.  No idea on Radeon crap & VSR but judging by your idiotic outburst, probably not.

I know, but are you nucking futs?  You think you're Sucking Fexy, but I think Fexy is too good for you and your 1080p downsampling from say, 8x MSAA with 4K internal rendering.  

Pisstard:  "Look at me, I'm doing downsampling from 1080p with 32x CSAA plus 8x TRSSAA, onto my 480p CRT TV from 1998.  Therefore I do not need a 1080p TV, because my 480p CRT looks better than 1080p."

It's a stupid waste of GPU power to be rendering 4K with 8x TRSSAA, and then downsample that right down to 1/4 the pixel count.  Spend $800 on video cards, and then dumb down your vision from 20/20 with those 20/80 glasses... Sucking Fexy, eh?  I tell you, it looks good to you just because the screen was blown off your window by DSR, but you still need to take off those damn glasses.

I was talking about YOUR GTX 970's, you dweeb.
I'm talking about your claim of DSR + 32x CSAA.

You weren't doing that on Maxwell because Maxwell does not support CSAA! The CSAA logic was removed from the ROP's and MFAA added in its place as well as allowing the ROP's to operate more efficiently in Maxwell compared to Kepler.

You can do CSAA on Kepler, but a 780 is very underpowered for DSR to begin with and Kepler doesn't do DSR as effeciently as Maxwell does.

(12-17-2015, 11:40 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:
(12-17-2015, 06:02 PM)gstanford Wrote: If you are sitting back roughly a body length from the TV for gaming like I do then DSR is fine.

Hardly any 4K TV's have a VGA port though and HDMI is crap for hooking a PC up to a TV, too much playing around with the signal.  hopefully display port will become a thing on TV's for PC input.

Not moving my couch and recliners to the middle of the living room for dubious gains on rare content. Also not moving a pc capable of DSR or whatever into my living room.

Agreed, but I have a rocker chair (not exactly a rocker, but it reclines a bit) that I bring up to the big screen for playing with some games - especially the racing games for greater immersion.  With the big Maxwell cards supporting HDMI 2.0 (unlike the Radeon Fury cards still stuck on HDMI 1.4 meaning 30Hz for 4K), and with decent big-screen TV's supporting that as well, what's holding you back from that crazy tempting curved 65" 4K TV using OLED tech for breathtaking colors and contrast with perfect black level?  You're aren't known for holding back on kick-ass stuff like that, hmm?
HDMI connections let the TV fuck around with the signal and add processing latency. VGA ports don't suffer that. Hopefully DisplayPort would not either.

(12-18-2015, 05:53 AM)gstanford Wrote: I'm talking about your claim of DSR + 32x CSAA.

You weren't doing that on Maxwell because Maxwell does not support CSAA!  The CSAA logic was removed from the ROP's and MFAA added in its place as well as allowing the ROP's to operate more efficiently in Maxwell compared to Kepler.

You can do CSAA on Kepler, but a 780 is very underpowered for DSR to begin with and Kepler doesn't do DSR as effeciently as Maxwell does.

Hmm, I wonder why Maxwell doesn't support CSAA?  That's what Nvidia worked so hard as a new feature with G80 (8800GTX) and brought out 32x CSAA that greatly enhanced DX10+ games on Fermi cards.  I never actually bothered with using CSAA on the Maxwell cards, due to the little time I had them (for bitcoin mining). 

Perhaps CSAA didn't work properly for some games (which was my long-time suspicion from many years ago)?  I actually though it was TR-MSAA (not TR-SSAA) that was sucky, but perhaps it's that DX10+ does not allow for CSAA to be forced on if the games do not specifically support the CSAA feature with DX10/11?
They wanted temporal AA for their new modes and the temporal work led to MFAA which reduces the cost of MSAA more than CSAA did, so CSAA went. Less logic too (none needed for computing the coverage samples) which makes the ROPs smaller, less complex and more efficient.

(12-18-2015, 05:59 AM)BoFox Wrote:
(12-17-2015, 11:40 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:

I am too poor to buy it. Sick Beast was right, I live in my mom's basement and spend my food stamp check on beer.

Agreed, but I have a rocker chair (not exactly a rocker, but it reclines a bit) that I bring up to the big screen for playing with some games - especially the racing games for greater immersion.  With the big Maxwell cards supporting HDMI 2.0 (unlike the Radeon Fury cards still stuck on HDMI 1.4 meaning 30Hz for 4K), and with decent big-screen TV's supporting that as well, what's holding you back from that crazy tempting curved 65" 4K TV using OLED tech for breathtaking colors and contrast with perfect black level?  You're aren't known for holding back on kick-ass stuff like that, hmm?

I am too poor to buy it. Sick Beast was right, I live in my mom's basement and spend my food stamp check on beer.

What holds me back on anything gaming these days is ROI. I haven't gamed two hours in the last 6 months. Haven't even played with the 4K GSync and 980Ti I got in June yet.
Perhaps get yourself a copy of Fallout 4? It is a pretty immersive game. I don't play games that don't draw me into their world anymore. A few year back I'd give most anything a try.

(12-18-2015, 06:50 AM)gstanford Wrote: Perhaps get yourself a copy of Fallout 4?  It is a pretty immersive game.  I don't play games that don't draw me into their world anymore.  A few year back I'd give most anything a try.

Perhaps after holidays, that game does look good.
(12-18-2015, 06:41 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: I am too poor to buy it. Sick Beast was right, I live in my mom's basement and spend my food stamp check on beer.

What holds me back on anything gaming these days is ROI. I haven't gamed two hours in the last 6 months. Haven't even played with the 4K GSync and 980Ti I got in June yet.

When it's below 0 degrees outside, maybe cuddle down and play some Dying Light.  Your son can watch and drool at perfectly fluid maxed out 4K gsync thanks to your 980Ti..

Or take a vacation to Hawaii!

I plan on moving to maybe Oahu (if not Maui or some other island) and settle in some place not too far from Honolulu, making Apoppin proud that I'm following his footsteps.

[Image: lhaq5462.png]
Even better than Miami, FL - ocean warm enough to swim except for maybe Jan-March (still very swimmable?)

[Image: wndq5462.png]
Most places in the US have less wind during the hot summer months (see average).  In Honolulu, it'd be paradise with the summer breeze!  Wind also means fresh air!

[Image: humq5462.png]
Not bad at all!!  Completely unlike Florida which stays humid late into the night during the hot summer months!

[Image: cldq5462.png]
This one is very important - cloudy days are depressing.  With an overall year average of maybe 26% of cloudy days, and about the same for days with precipitation, 3 out of 4 great days to walk outside and enjoy nice weather... ahhh..  just some partly clouds can be pretty to look at as well.

[Image: sunq5462.png]
With the sun shining 70% of the time there is daylight, I'd just be content.  Not too much sun like in the barren desert with hardly any clouds at all, ever (Las Vegas, Phoenix, etc.)..

(from http://www.city-data.com/city/Honolulu-Hawaii.html )

I don't get why all the old farts move to Arizona or Florida to retire?  I guess it's a good thing they're not overpopulating Hawaii just yet, saving some real nice place for me!!!!
To hell with websites that don't allow for forum-linking to their images.  These charts are only 12KB each!

Just scroll down to the "Average Climate" part on that webpage linked in the above post, and you'll see all the charts there.

Another good thing about the water temperature compared the southernmost part of FL:

(Miami, FL)  and (Honolulu), side by side:

[Image: VAKF1_st.jpg][Image: OOUH1_st.jpg]
This is extremely accurate data for water measurements.
I'm actually surprised that water actually stays above 75 degrees F at Honolulu, even considering the bottom standard deviation in March. 
March (the coldest month) in Honolulu is warmer than all the 4 months in Miami (Dec - Mar).  Plus the air temperature is far more permitting as well.

Then during the hottest months of the summer (especially after standing in the sun or doing some activities), it'd be nice to soak in cooler waters of 80-82 F in Honolulu, rather than in 89+ degrees water like in Miami.

Why the hell did Poppin move back to Calif??
Because unless you are a native Hawaiian, Hawaii is an extremely expensive place to live.

(12-18-2015, 10:54 AM)BoFox Wrote: Why the hell did Poppin move back to Calif??

He has no money.

(and that is why you moving there won't impress him or make him think you are following in his path)

You are not an "adventurer", you're just a guy who figured out how to earn a living. Worse yet, you probably went to college.
Guys I seem to have pissed off Rollo. I'm not sure of the reason. He got mad when I said something bad about a turkey Republican who pumped raw sewage into an entire city. Go figure. Angel
[Image: cLOEEaL.jpg]