Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Console gaming thread
P.S. You've also said numerous times how PS4 is worth more because it has more power and XBones are "cheap" because they have less.

Now when Xbones will be more powerful and cost more, that is somehow a bad thing.

Are you SURE you're not a Sony Advocate?
Wink
(06-16-2016, 06:43 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: P.S. You've also said numerous times how PS4 is worth more because it has more power and XBones are "cheap" because they have less.

Now when Xbones will be more powerful and cost more, that is somehow a bad thing.

Are you SURE you're not a Sony Advocate?
Wink

Scorpio might have plenty of power, but it is wrongly applied and it will be premium priced. PS4 was powerful and cheap at a mainstream resolution (in other words it hit the sweet spot for consumers), that is why it has been so successful.

Crapbox was expensive and underpowered, Scorpio will be very expensive and at a resolution mainstream console gamers don't care about yet (and may well never care about).

I'll just kick back now and let the passage of time prove me right and you wrong as per usual.... Big Grin Cool
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(06-16-2016, 09:17 AM)gstanford Wrote:
(06-16-2016, 06:49 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Wow if the 4k Xbox really has a Vega GPU that's going to be really interesting.  If Sony just uses Polaris 10 it's going to really suck IMO.  It won't run 4k games well at all.  Microsoft's solution definitely will though and that thing will really be a gaming beast!

SickBeast you have a worrying tendency to buy into performance hype when it comes to silicon devices.

I don't think the Scorpio will be a 4K gaming beast unfortunately, I think it will be barely adequate frankly unless they render at a lower res and upscale to 4K.

Anyway here is a decent ArsTechnica article on the subject that might help lower your expectations to realistic levels.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/06/xb...-it-do-4k/

When I have ever bought into hype? I'm simply pointing out that the rumours are stating that the new Xbox is going to be much more powerful than the new PS4.

I suppose I could say that you have a worrying tendency to rabidly defend your own brand, in this case Sony. Typically it's nVidia and there is no arguing with your logic, even though your rig is vastly overpowered for 1080p gaming, despite your assertions that VSR is somehow not 1080p. You're gaming at 1080p resolution with so much AA that it's overkill. True 4k gaming looks much, much better.
(06-17-2016, 03:49 AM)SickBeast Wrote: When I have ever bought into hype?  I'm simply pointing out that the rumours are stating that the new Xbox is going to be much more powerful than the new PS4.

I suppose I could say that you have a worrying tendency to rabidly defend your own brand, in this case Sony.  Typically it's nVidia and there is no arguing with your logic, even though your rig is vastly overpowered for 1080p gaming, despite your assertions that VSR is somehow not 1080p.  You're gaming at 1080p resolution with so much AA that it's overkill.  True 4k gaming looks much, much better.

Starwarskid

It's a ninja jedi whirlwind attack on GStan's perspectives!
SickBeast is right. I've never seen him buy into hype.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
(06-17-2016, 03:49 AM)SickBeast Wrote:
(06-16-2016, 06:49 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Wow if the 4k Xbox really has a Vega GPU that's going to be really interesting.  If Sony just uses Polaris 10 it's going to really suck IMO.  It won't run 4k games well at all.  Microsoft's solution definitely will though and that thing will really be a gaming beast!

SickBeast you have a worrying tendency to buy into performance hype when it comes to silicon devices.

I don't think the Scorpio will be a 4K gaming beast unfortunately, I think it will be barely adequate frankly unless they render at a lower res and upscale to 4K.

Anyway here is a decent ArsTechnica article on the subject that might help lower your expectations to realistic levels.

When I have ever bought into hype?  I'm simply pointing out that the rumours are stating that the new Xbox is going to be much more powerful than the new PS4.

I suppose I could say that you have a worrying tendency to rabidly defend your own brand, in this case Sony.  Typically it's nVidia and there is no arguing with your logic, even though your rig is vastly overpowered for 1080p gaming, despite your assertions that VSR is somehow not 1080p.  You're gaming at 1080p resolution with so much AA that it's overkill.  True 4k gaming looks much, much better.

You buy into the hype all the damn time, your latest on BTR is the forthcoming Radeon 480 and how you think it will magically be such a value with 1070 rivalling performance. I could fill encyclopedia's with similar things you have said over time. Not to mention your overclocking expectations and subsequent disasters that ensue from it.

My rig isn't overpowered for 1080p gaming if you like to game with settings maxed out or close to maxed out as I do.

And DSR really does render the games at higher resolutions (you actually set the game up to run at a resolution such as 2560x1440 in its options panel), it then downsamples to 1080p (or whatever your native resolution is). Making uninformed comments on technology only makes you look stupid, sorry to say.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(06-16-2016, 08:56 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:

I hope MS pulls it off, but I'm not holding my breath for 4K gaming on consoles.

My 980Ti was only pulling it off because I had GSync. TVs do not.

What are the odds Scorpio has big Vega, a true 4K gaming chip? Not good IMHO. (power/heat/expense)

Some sort of Vega that can do more than PS4 but not be a true 4K GPU? Sure, I'd even think that would be likely. I'm guessing some heads rolled at XBone land over the media center focus, and the new team was given the directive, "Next time we beat Sony".

MS has always had the $ to buy this market and build better boxes, they just chose a different path. I can even see why they did, but they underestimated the importance of the gaming focus.

Wait a minute, wait a minute..   if XBorpio is still only going to have 6 TFLOPs of processing power, then it could very well use Polaris 10-like GPU as well, if RX 480 is actually doing 5.83 TFLOPs.  It'd just be very slightly higher clocked, which should be manageable (say, 130W or so).  

WCCFTech just made a rumor that the RX 480 is only going to consume 100W...  That's hard to believe, though.  Kudos to AMD if they can do that.

Remember the original PS3 and Xbox360 models at launch back in 2005-2006?  These things consumed nearly 200W and had 300+W power supplies.  Can't remember the exact numbers, but it was in that ballpark.
Whatever it is, it will be fun to watch GStan post things that contradict all his prior posts.

"The sensible gamer doesn't need 4K gaming, higher resolution is not why you buy a console! We must trust in Sony, who will bring us 4K when the time is right!"

-Flip Flopper GStan
(06-17-2016, 08:10 AM)gstanford Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 03:49 AM)SickBeast Wrote:

When I have ever bought into hype?  I'm simply pointing out that the rumours are stating that the new Xbox is going to be much more powerful than the new PS4.

You buy into the hype all the damn time, your latest on BTR is the forthcoming Radeon 480 and how you think it will magically be such a value with 1070 rivalling performance. I could fill encyclopedia's with similar things you have said over time. Not to mention your overclocking expectations and subsequent disasters that ensue from it.

My rig isn't overpowered for 1080p gaming if you like to game with settings maxed out or close to maxed out as I do.

And DSR really does render the games at higher resolutions (you actually set the game up to run at a resolution such as 2560x1440 in its options panel), it then downsamples to 1080p (or whatever your native resolution is). Making uninformed comments on technology only makes you look stupid, sorry to say.
Huh? I never said that the R480 would rival the GTX 1070. I said that the GTX 1070 is overkill for my own needs. There is now a leaked review showing that the r480 is as powerful as a fury nano and gtx 980. That's pretty damn good for only $200. I am waiting for the reviews and then I will decide which card to buy.

You honestly seem like you just want to argue and you are making up lies.
Nintendo feels no need to focus on performance with Nintendo NX: http://www.neowin.net/news/nintendo-exec...-teraflops
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
Sony admits it's releasing the new PS4 because it doesn't want to lose gamers to 4K PC gaming:

Is that Gstan?
The PC is going to take over completely for gaming. I can feel it. Who in their right mind would drop $700 on a souped up PS4 when you can get a GTX 1080 for less? For a lot of people a GTX 1080 would be a drop in upgrade for an existing computer. Anyone with a quad core from the past 5 years would benefit from one.
(06-21-2016, 05:48 AM)SickBeast Wrote: The PC is going to take over completely for gaming.  I can feel it.  Who in their right mind would drop $700 on a souped up PS4 when you can get a GTX 1080 for less?  For a lot of people a GTX 1080 would be a drop in upgrade for an existing computer.  Anyone with a quad core from the past 5 years would benefit from one.

Not likely.

A. That guy is right- people buy consoles to game for 4-7 years without buying more parts. The new console is their "part". Those people aren't going to start tinkering with gaming PC because it's kind of a PITA. I'm selling one to one of Rollo Jrs buddies, just prepping the thing is costing me more in time than I'm getting out of it. Low level formats, Windows install/updates, driver installs, update to Windows 10- all that stuff takes time and building boxes and even doing simple stuff like setting boot order, hooking up button and input wires, using right RAM slots is way more than most people know or want to.

B. $700 is peanuts compared to a gaming PC. OK theoretically you can buy a 1080 for that, then you need RAM, HDD, motherboard, PSU, case, controller.
Xbox One S will upscale its games to 4K: http://4k.com/news/xbox-one-s-slated-for...oft-15442/
(07-04-2016, 03:58 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote: Xbox One S will upscale its games to 4K: http://4k.com/news/xbox-one-s-slated-for...oft-15442/

This is interesting, I didn't think Xbone S was getting a GPU update.

GStan was just posting about how "this holiday season is the only one that matters" for an updated console, maybe MS read his post and jumped into action!
(07-04-2016, 04:57 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:
(07-04-2016, 03:58 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote: Xbox One S will upscale its games to 4K: http://4k.com/news/xbox-one-s-slated-for...oft-15442/

This is interesting, I didn't think Xbone S was getting a GPU update.

GStan was just posting about how "this holiday season is the only one that matters" for an updated console, maybe MS read his post and jumped into action!

That's actually terrible news. What is the point of upscaling? All 4k TVs can upscale stuff already, and it makes a very marginal difference. Why do we need the consoles to do it? There is no point. What would be really great is if the new console could run current games at a higher resolution. 4k would be awesome if it could do it. By them saying that it does upscaling is a sign that it's going to have a weak GPU. People are speculating that the RX480 will be in at least one of the new upgraded consoles.
http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/micros...e-support/

Microsoft Changes Description Of Xbox Play Anywhere Support
Quote:It was a very big deal when Microsoft revealed the Xbox Play Anywhere program, as it meant that every Microsoft Studios-published game would allow you to play the game on both Xbox One and PC with cross-play and cross-save. However, a new change to the program’s description now gives it a very different meaning.

The original description for the program said that “Every new title published from Microsoft Studios will support Xbox Play Anywhere,” though it has since been changed to “Every new title published from Microsoft Studios that we showed onstage at E3 this year will support Xbox Play Anywhere…”

That definitely narrows the field in terms of upcoming games that will support the Xbox Play Anywhere program, though the following is a complete list of games that will:

Ark: Survival Evolved
Crackdown 3
The Culling
Cuphead
Everspace
Forza Horizon 3
Gears of War 4
Halo Wars 2
Killer Instinct – Seasons 1, 2 and 3
Phantom Dust
ReCore
Scalebound
Sea of Thieves
Slime Rancher
State of Decay 2
We Happy Few

Here’s how the program works:

“When you buy an Xbox Play Anywhere digital game through the Xbox Store or the Windows Store, it’s yours to play on both Xbox One and Windows 10 PC at no additional cost. To take advantage of Xbox Play Anywhere, you will need to have installed the Windows 10 Anniversary Edition update on your PC, as well as the latest update on your Xbox One console. Then, simply log into your Xbox Live/Microsoft account and your Xbox Play Anywhere games will be available to download.”

Now this doesn’t completely close the door on bringing all Microsoft Studios games to PC, though it seems like they’re backing up a little from committing to releasing every single one of their games on PC

Hmmm...... I seem to recall Trollo crowing to me that CrapBOX was going to be superior to PS4 because he would only have to purchase his games on CrapBOX and automatically get them for PC as well? Oh well, you know the old saying - wish in one hand, shit in the other, see which one fills faster! Big Grin

Laughing pig

So Gstan that is 16 games that you will be able to play on both Xbone and PS4, how many can you do that with on PS4?

Oh yeah, 0, zip, nada.

Still better. Big Grin

BTW GStan, the best selling cars in America are still full size pickup trucks that cost over $30,000. "Stack'em high, and sell'em cheap", eh?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/research/...p#image=21
Microsoft may let us trade in our XBones for Xbox Scorpios: http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/231513...io-console
Wow, now that is cool, unless the Xbone is worth like a measly hundred bucks to M$.
Nintendo announces NES Classic Edition: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/07/su...s-the-nes/
I don't know why Nintendo doesn't just emulate those games on the Wii. Don't they do that already? Maybe sell a bundle of games like that for $20 for the Wii and forgo all that wasted money developing a "console". Or just sell the games on Steam for the PC or Android even.
Possible new PS4 pricing leak: http://4k.com/news/according-to-serious-...439-15653/
(07-17-2016, 05:44 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote: Possible new PS4 pricing leak: http://4k.com/news/according-to-serious-...439-15653/

Yes, this ($439) price is only slightly more expensive than the PS4's $399 launch price and certainly isn't premium priced as Phil Spencer has stated Scorpio will be priced.  Of course the original PS4 will still be available at current prices also.

That leaves M$ with current stock of CrapBOXes that nobody will want to purchase because of the new model S which is budget priced garbage with a 4K media playing gimmick bolted on and a far future, very expensive Scorpio (which I predict will not sell well because of its premium price tag).

I wonder if M$ is digging a new garbage pit beside the Atari ET cartridges for current CrapBOX stock?

[Image: ROFLMAO.gif]

(07-17-2016, 08:23 AM)gstanford Wrote:
(07-17-2016, 05:44 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote: Possible new PS4 pricing leak: http://4k.com/news/according-to-serious-...439-15653/

Yes, this ($439) price is only slightly more expensive than the PS4's $399 launch price and certainly isn't premium priced as Phil Spencer has stated Scorpio will be priced.  Of course the original PS4 will still be available at current prices also.

That leaves M$ with current stock of CrapBOXes that nobody will want to purchase because of the new model S which is budget priced garbage with a 4K media playing gimmick bolted on and a far future, very expensive Scorpio (which I predict will not sell well because of its premium price tag).

I wonder if M$ is digging a new garbage pit beside the Atari ET cartridges for current CrapBOX stock?

Hit_head

Gstan, since Scorpio is supposed to be a legit 4K device, unlike PS4 Neo.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/p...comparison

Don't you think that is worth a little more money as everyone is buying 4K tvs?
Rolleyes

As for the PS4 Neo, it's going to likely be the "red headed step child", a place holder until Sony gets a real 4k device together. It's pretty obvious MS made a choice to do their real next gen instead of a half ass upgrade like the NEO.

Probably uses Vega tech.
(07-17-2016, 10:32 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:
(07-17-2016, 08:23 AM)gstanford Wrote:

Hit_head

Gstan, since Scorpio is supposed to be a legit 4K device, unlike PS4 Neo.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/p...comparison

Don't you think that is worth a little more money as everyone is buying 4K tvs?
Rolleyes

As for the PS4 Neo, it's going to likely be the "red headed step child", a place holder until Sony gets a real 4k device together. It's pretty obvious MS made a choice to do their real next gen instead of a half ass upgrade like the NEO.

Probably uses Vega tech.

Neo never claimed to be a 4K upgrade unlike Scorpio. I am sure that when Sony does offer a console that addresses the 4K gaming market it will be at a point in time where the necessary harware can be fabbed cheaply enough that charging premiums will be unnecessary.

Neo is a halfway point between PS4 and an eventual Playstation 4K console, that is certainly true and there is nothing wrong with that, it is what the CrapBOX S could and should have been. M$ is like AMD in the console market at the moment though - the only way they can possibly compete is on price so S is little more than a barebones die shrink of the current CrapBOX.

The next round of consoles is going to be very interesting. It looks like Microsoft is making a premium device that could cost $699 whereas Sony is going for something more mainstream and it will probably cost $399-499. It will be interesting to see if people are willing to pay $200 extra for a vastly more powerful console. I know I would, but at the same time, for $700 you could build a half decent gaming computer. Unless AMD cuts Microsoft a sweetheart deal, Vega could be a tough sell at that price. $700 is getting into uncharted territory for a console. The only console I can remember costing that much was the 3DO and it was a complete failure.
(07-17-2016, 08:12 PM)SickBeast Wrote: The next round of consoles is going to be very interesting.  It looks like Microsoft is making a premium device that could cost $699 whereas Sony is going for something more mainstream and it will probably cost $399-499.  It will be interesting to see if people are willing to pay $200 extra for a vastly more powerful console.  I know I would, but at the same time, for $700 you could build a half decent gaming computer.  Unless AMD cuts Microsoft a sweetheart deal, Vega could be a tough sell at that price.  $700 is getting into uncharted territory for a console.  The only console I can remember costing that much was the 3DO and it was a complete failure.

The PlayStation 3 was $599 at launch.  It was one of the reasons it didn't sell really well to begin with.  Sony learnt from that though and you won't see them make that mistake twice (or overburden the console with features that are not strictly gaming related for that matter.)

They had some pretty bad PR around the PS3 price too, suggesting gamers should work more hours or get a second job to afford it.  Another mistake they won't make twice (it was M$ who inserted both PR feet and most of their legs into their PR mouths this time around).

https://www.engadget.com/2005/07/06/sony...station-3/

Sony learnt from their mistakes, even in the PS3 era, they worked hard to reverse their bad pr and high prices with the slim and superslim, they introduced PS+ and they ensured that customers felt that they were the focus. That is why in the end PS3 caught up with and outsold XBOX 360 near the end of the generation.

M$ by contrast has yet to give the slightest hint they have learned anything at all from the CrapBOX train wreck.

Greg the Xbox 360 was superior to the ps3. Microsoft knows what they are doing. The Xbox one was a mistake but I expect them to get things right with Scorpio. The way it looks right now, the 4k ps4 is going to be a flop.
(07-17-2016, 10:50 PM)SickBeast Wrote: The way it looks right now, the 4k ps4 is going to be a flop.

I disagree, but I'll wait and see.
(07-17-2016, 11:00 PM)googoo24 Wrote:
(07-17-2016, 10:50 PM)SickBeast Wrote: The way it looks right now, the 4k ps4 is going to be a flop.

I disagree, but I'll wait and see.

I disagree also. Sony knows what they are doing here and they planned the Neo long before M$ dreamed up Scorpio, they are following their own successful path.

No, 360 wasn't superior to PS3. Hardware wise PS3 was all round more capable. 360 had two advantages on PS3 though - it came to market a year earlier and it was easier to program since it was less complex. Once developers learnt how to harness PS3 properly though (a complex task) it pulled away from 360.

GStan through the ages:

Then:
"PS4 runs more games at 1080p, resolution is all!!!"

Now:

"Wise Sony realizes 4K is just too powerful, no one needs that!"

Then:

"Xbones are cheap cereal box prizes! Wise Sony sells a premium product!"

Now:

"Xbones will be too expensive! No one will pay $699!"

Like I said, a Xbone Scorpio with 1070 level power will be a legit 4K device, while original Xbones, PS4s, and PS4 Neos will not be.

Xbone Scorpio could be what STEAM box could not be- the crossover device between PC and Console.
(07-18-2016, 08:03 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: GStan through the ages:

Then:
"PS4 runs more games at 1080p, resolution is all!!!"

Now:

"Wise Sony realizes 4K is just too powerful, no one needs that!"

Then:

"Xbones are cheap cereal box prizes! Wise Sony sells a premium product!"

Now:

"Xbones will be too expensive! No one will pay $699!"

Like I said, a Xbone Scorpio with 1070 level power will be a legit 4K device, while original Xbones, PS4s, and PS4 Neos will not be.

Xbone Scorpio could be what STEAM box could not be- the crossover device between PC and Console.

Clueless as ever and incapable of buying a clue in a clue store even if the salesperson whacked you over the head with one!

Here is what Phil Spencer (you know, the guy in charge of the XBOX division) has to say about what M$ thinks about PC/Console integration:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2...ideo-games
“We’re really getting to a world where, as a game creator, you can focus on building one game and then selling it to both a console audience and a PC audience and connect those two via Xbox Live and the Universal Windows Platform,” says Spencer. So is this about creating a united front against the dominant PlayStation 4? Is Microsoft seeking to combine its markets to provide a user base that competes?

‘I’m not trying to turn PC gamers into console gamers’

Spencer is not keen on that supposition. “PC gaming and console gaming are different, and the customer segments have capabilities and expectations that are unique to the platforms they play on,” he says.
“With Xbox and Windows, there are some common things that we can put in the hands of creators and gamers – like Xbox Live, like your friends list – that help unify your gaming experience and put you at the centre as the player.

“But I bristle at the idea we’re bringing the platforms ‘together’. It’s not that I’m trying to turn PC gamers into console gamers or console gamers into PC gamers. We just know, and I’m sure you’re tracking it, the health of PC gaming is incredibly high right now, and we know some of our best and most active customers on Xbox One are also PC gamers – so we see this opportunity to service the customer and where they actually play, and they want to stay connected to their friends wherever they are. Things like Xbox Play Anywhere are really about choice and where they want to play. So if you’re at school and want to play a couple of rounds of a game and then you go back home and want to continue on your couch, that seems normal. Every other kind of media – your music, your movies – everything else works that way.

Sony is doing incredibly well with the PS4 but they’re doing something fundamentally different from us. We’re not building a strategy in response to what they’re doing, we’re building a response to what I see customers and gamers asking us for.”

If I were Phil Spencer I'd be ignoring what your customers and gamers are asking for and studying Sony's success more closely, it isn't as though there are many CrapBOX customers and gamers compared to PS4 customers and gamers after al.....

Also from the article:
Quote:When Phil Spencer addressed the press at Microsoft’s Xbox Spring showcase earlier this year, he spoke about the concept of the Universal Windows Platform – about applications that could run seamlessly across Xbox and PC; and he seemed to be hinting at an almost modular future for consoles, where players could swap in more powerful components as the years went on. It looked to be a radical departure from the traditional console industry. Post-E3, the message is more nuanced, that vision of an extremely PC-like machine, played down.

“I push a button, the console turns on – it’s appliance-like in the way it works,” says Spencer. “I don’t end up at a PC desktop, I end up at a curated UI experience that gets me to the things that I’m gonna want to do on my TV. That is critical to us, and we remain focused on that console experience.

“I live inside of a company with 100,000 other people working on a bunch of different things. Five years ago I was sitting here, and most of the questions I would get were, ‘Isn’t all gaming going to phone? Are people really gonna buy consoles?’ Now, Sony’s doing incredibly well, we’ve sold more Xbox Ones than we sold 360s at this point in the generation, and Nintendo is getting ready to talk about NX. You know, the console business is very, very healthy right now.”

(07-18-2016, 10:09 AM)gstanford Wrote: Here is what Phil Spencer (you know, the guy in charge of the XBOX division) has to say about what M$ thinks about PC/Console integration:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2...ideo-games
“We’re really getting to a world where, as a game creator, you can focus on building one game and then selling it to both a console audience and a PC audience and connect those two via Xbox Live and the Universal Windows Platform,” says Spencer. So is this about creating a united front against the dominant PlayStation 4? Is Microsoft seeking to combine its markets to provide a user base that competes?

‘I’m not trying to turn PC gamers into console gamers’

Spencer is not keen on that supposition. “PC gaming and console gaming are different, and the customer segments have capabilities and expectations that are unique to the platforms they play on,” he says.
“With Xbox and Windows, there are some common things that we can put in the hands of creators and gamers – like Xbox Live, like your friends list – that help unify your gaming experience and put you at the centre as the player.

“But I bristle at the idea we’re bringing the platforms ‘together’. It’s not that I’m trying to turn PC gamers into console gamers or console gamers into PC gamers. We just know, and I’m sure you’re tracking it, the health of PC gaming is incredibly high right now, and we know some of our best and most active customers on Xbox One are also PC gamers – so we see this opportunity to service the customer and where they actually play, and they want to stay connected to their friends wherever they are. Things like Xbox Play Anywhere are really about choice and where they want to play. So if you’re at school and want to play a couple of rounds of a game and then you go back home and want to continue on your couch, that seems normal. Every other kind of media – your music, your movies – everything else works that way
Interesting contrast between Microsoft and Sony:
Phil Spencer: ‘I’m not trying to turn PC gamers into console gamers’
Andrew House: ‘ [in effect] We don't want to lose PS4 gamers to 4K PC gaming’
(07-18-2016, 10:38 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote: Interesting contrast between Microsoft and Sony:
Phil Spencer: ‘I’m not trying to turn PC gamers into console gamers’
Andrew House: ‘ [in effect] We don't want to lose PS4 gamers to 4K PC gaming’

Please quote Andrew House saying that. I doubt PC gaming is something that Sony thinks about at all.

(07-18-2016, 10:42 AM)gstanford Wrote: Please quote Andrew House saying that.  I doubt PC gaming is something that Sony thinks about at all.

LOL, wrong as usual Gstan. It turns out 4K PC gaming is the reason for the existence of the Neo, which will be a half assed, barely in some games 4K device.

Quote:House said that one of the key motivations for PlayStation 4 Neo was specifically to prevent high-end users from abandoning the product at an earlier point than its natural eight-year lifespan. “We’ve traditionally seen that some of the core audience tends to gravitate back to high-end PCs at some point because these are the people who want the finest graphical performance,” he said. “So here’s a great opportunity to have them stay within our ecosystem.

“If you are a person who’s just purchased a 4K television, maybe there’s not that much content around right now, so there’s something interesting about games being able to fill that gap and offer that experience. Those are the fundamentals of Neo.”

So gamers can buy a Neo with GTX970 level power to run 4K games, which will probably worse than a Xbone running 1080p, or they can wait a year for a true 4K capable console with GTX1070 level power.

A GTX1070 is pretty similar to 970SLi:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVID...70/29.html

Quote:As a result, the GeForce GTX 1070 is 20 percent behind the GTX 1080 at 2560x1440.... while also delivering 5% better performance than GTX 970 SLI - at much better pricing. Compared to the previous-generation GTX 970, the performance uplift is 61% - impressive!

And a full 40% faster across games than a lowly GTX970:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVID...70/24.html

Only a deluded shill would be on here posting that Sony is taking the right path to 4K with the Neo compared to Microsoft.
(07-18-2016, 10:42 AM)gstanford Wrote: Please quote Andrew House saying that.  I doubt PC gaming is something that Sony thinks about at all.

LOL, wrong as usual Gstan. It turns out 4K PC gaming is the reason for the existence of the Neo, which will be a "half assed, barely in some games" 4K device.

Quote:House said that one of the key motivations for PlayStation 4 Neo was specifically to prevent high-end users from abandoning the product at an earlier point than its natural eight-year lifespan. “We’ve traditionally seen that some of the core audience tends to gravitate back to high-end PCs at some point because these are the people who want the finest graphical performance,” he said. “So here’s a great opportunity to have them stay within our ecosystem.

“If you are a person who’s just purchased a 4K television, maybe there’s not that much content around right now, so there’s something interesting about games being able to fill that gap and offer that experience. Those are the fundamentals of Neo.”

So gamers can buy a Neo with GTX970 level power to run 4K games, which will probably worse than a Xbone running 1080p, or they can wait a year for a true 4K capable console with GTX1070 level power.

A GTX1070 is pretty similar to 970SLi:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVID...70/29.html

Quote:As a result, the GeForce GTX 1070 is 20 percent behind the GTX 1080 at 2560x1440.... while also delivering 5% better performance than GTX 970 SLI - at much better pricing. Compared to the previous-generation GTX 970, the performance uplift is 61% - impressive!

And a full 40% faster across games at 4K than a lowly GTX970:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVID...70/24.html

Only a deluded shill would be on here posting that Sony is taking the right path to 4K with the Neo compared to Microsoft.
I've never said anything about Sony and Neo being the correct path to 4K gaming. Just like the PS4 before it Neo will be a sensible console for its time "good enough" hardware (without being under or over powered) combined with an affordable price tag. That is what consumers want.

As for House's statement, I don't think anyone will be abandoning PS4 for PC because of 4K. When I want to play on my PS4 I do. When I want to play on my PC I do, no abandonment of either required.

At least Neo will actually be capable of 4K rendering some games which is more than CrapBOX S will be able to do, you are meant to admire the pretty upscaling there, what a fucking joke! 970 level of performance is pretty decent at sensible console price points for when the Neo will launch. Scorpio won't be out for at least a full year after Neo.

Frankly the faster CPU speed on offer in Neo excites me far more than any potential graphics resolution increase, I'd rather have the extra GPU power used to increase IQ at 1080p personally.

To be honest I have no idea why the two of you have so much brand loyalty. Just buy whichever console is better. Right now the PS4 is better than the Xbox One. In the future it looks like the Xbox Scorpio is going to be much better than the PS4 Neo. Just buy whichever one is better. Stop bickering over MS vs. Sony. It's a big waste of time and it's really stupid.