Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Console gaming thread
(05-08-2015, 04:05 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Even if it's ota only that is still useful imo. I can get 30 channels ota where I live and the quality is better than cable because it's uncompressed.

Yep, a buddy here gets 22 channels OTA.
http://www.neowin.net/news/the-xbox-one-...to-the-npd
Aaaaaaaand Xbone outsells PS4 last month.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
Interesting.
They need to sustain it for more than a month or two. The PS4 has remained at the same price for 17 months now, longer than any playstation before it. Perhaps it may be getting close to time for it to have a price reduction also?
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(05-16-2015, 10:20 PM)gstanford Wrote: They need to sustain it for more than a month or two.  The PS4 has remained at the same price for 17 months now, longer than any playstation before it.  Perhaps it may be getting close to time for it to have a price reduction also?

That's what you say.

MS sits on stacks of money, and XBone is selling more than 360 did in the first couple years, so they have little reason to care.

The shift from about 50/50 to 66/34 is a HUGE deal for Sony because several analysts have predicted they'd go bankrupt in recent years. They have scrap and scratch for every sale they can get, probably to keep the electricity on in their offices.

Another cool thing about that article is it states XBone outsold PS4 in the US in December as well, and several other articles stated Xbone outsold PS4 in the US in November as well.

In stark contrast to what GStanford posted here, that "XBone has NEVER sold on parity with the PS4 in the USA!".
I think that the main point in terms of the current consoles is that ms has failed this round. I could understand it if the Xbox one was cheaper but it's not. It should be half the price to be priced fairly.
Rollo Wrote:In stark contrast to what GStanford posted here, that "XBone has NEVER sold on parity with the PS4 in the USA!".

M$ would need 17 straight months of outselling PS4 from here and they still wouldn't be at parity.

One or two months worth of success is literally nothing compared to lifetime sales.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(05-17-2015, 07:31 AM)gstanford Wrote:
Rollo Wrote:In stark contrast to what GStanford posted here, that "XBone has NEVER sold on parity with the PS4 in the USA!".

M$ would need 17 straight months of outselling PS4 from here and they still wouldn't be at parity.

One or two months worth of success is literally nothing compared to lifetime sales.

It's three months and we don't know what the split in the USA was in other months.

We know it's about 60/40 in North America, but that includes Canada, Mexico, and Central America. Playstations have always had better sales outside the US and England, and Xbox always has strong sales in the US and England.

Given that information, it's more than a "little" likely that US sales are higher than the 40% North American sales.

(even you can't be suggesting Mexican and Central American sales of Xbones are bringing the US sales up to 40%)

My guesstimate is PS4/Xbone is probably around a 55/45 split in the USA, and closer to the 2:1 global split in Canada/Mexico/Central America bringing North American totals to the 60/40 Sony advantage you posted.

It's a lot more plausible than thinking very poor countries of Central America/Mexico were paying $100 more for XBones the first year of their existence.

If I'm right, a 45% market share basically is parity.

Also you said NEVER had parity and for three month, XBone has outsold PS4 here.
One month or 3 months of marginally outselling PS4 does not bring XBONE anywhere near close to parity both consoles have been on the market 17 months now. 3 months of sales does not magically make XBONE overtake PS4 in total sales in the USA.

The (very clearly established) trend, even in the USA, is that PS4 sells far better than XBONE and that is what software publishers care about. Even the Titanfall developers, the next game in that (sad) franchise won't be XBONE exclusive.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-teas...0-6425193/

Click bait, the original Titanfall was not an Xbox exclusive to begin with.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
(05-17-2015, 08:16 PM)gstanford Wrote: One month or 3 months of marginally outselling PS4 does not bring XBONE anywhere near close to parity both consoles have been on the market 17 months now.

Do you have some links to back up your claims for USA sales? So far you've only produced North American sales figures.

(05-17-2015, 08:16 PM)gstanford Wrote:  3 months of sales does not magically make XBONE overtake PS4 in total sales in the USA.
Logical fallacy of "changing goal posts". It was never stated that Xbones have sold more in the USA. As a matter of fact, I've only stated that they've sold LESS overall, and that in USA the market share is better than it is in Mexico, Canada, and places like Guam and Honduras.

You can't prove this point wrong, so you fabricate an argument that you can. For shame!

(05-17-2015, 08:16 PM)gstanford Wrote: The (very clearly established) trend, even in the USA, is that PS4 sells far better than XBONE and that is what software publishers care about.
If it's so clearly established, prove it.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/06/20/ps4-vs...nsole-war/

Quote:The Xbox One was the clear winner in 22 states while PS4 was the favorite in 19. No, that doesn’t mean the Wii U won the other 9 — the remaining states were too close to call.

Note that in our four most highly populated states (by far) XBone wins in 3 and ties in one. PS4 is mainly more popular in the little Midwestern states.

Granted "Likes on FB" don't equal sales necessarily, but there's not much reason to think people are buying against their stated preferences either. FB is a pretty HUGE sample of preference, there's probably no bigger opinion poll in the USA.

You're just wrong on this, and again, why would you know anything about what's going on in the USA camped on the edge of the planet in Australia?

(05-17-2015, 08:16 PM)gstanford Wrote:  Even the Titanfall developers, the next game in that (sad) franchise won't be XBONE exclusive.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-teas...0-6425193/

This is the logical fallacy of "anecdotal eveidence". One developer not doing an exclusive is not evidence of a trend. (besides which most games are cross platform to increase possible market. Even in places where PS4 sells 2:1 not many businesses can afford to ignore 1/3 of the market.

You just don't understand America, or business Greg.

What's kind of funny about all your fapping over the PS4 is:

What do you care?

Last I knew, you don't own either, work for neither, own stock in neither.

No stake in the situation whatsoever.

Personally I own both, and as such, have supported current gen console gaming far more than you Greg.
(05-17-2015, 08:41 PM)SteelCrysis Wrote: Click bait, the original Titanfall was not an Xbox exclusive to begin with.

It most certainly was! It appeared on no other console, the fact it also appeared on PC is irrelevant. Lots of platform exclusive console games get ported to PC but NOT to other consoles.

For XBONE to get to parity in the USA there have to be as many XBONE's sold to consumers as there have been PS4's sold in the USA.

It really is that simple.

Why do I care about PS4 and XBONE?

Because a company that did the right thing by consumers (Sony) is being rewarded for its actions by consumers and a company that tried to screw consumers over (M$) is being punished by consumers.

Actually imo an exclusive title does not also come out for the pc.
(05-17-2015, 10:51 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Actually imo an exclusive title does not also come out for the pc.

Halo? Fable? Just for starters........

Both exclusive to xbox on console. Just like Titanfall was xbox exclusive.

If you want to see proper exclusive games look at Nintendo.
(05-17-2015, 10:47 PM)gstanford Wrote:
(05-17-2015, 08:41 PM)SteelCrysis Wrote: Click bait, the original Titanfall was not an Xbox exclusive to begin with.

It most certainly was!  It appeared on no other console, the fact it also appeared on PC is irrelevant.  Lots of platform exclusive console games get ported to PC but NOT to other consoles.

For XBONE to get to parity in the USA there have to be as many XBONE's sold to consumers as there have been PS4's sold in the USA.

It really is that simple.

Why do I care about PS4 and XBONE?

Because a company that did the right thing by consumers (Sony) is being rewarded for its actions by consumers and a company that tried to screw consumers over (M$) is being punished by consumers.
Looks like I have to post this again:

(05-17-2015, 10:53 PM)gstanford Wrote:
(05-17-2015, 10:51 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Actually imo an exclusive title does not also come out for the pc.

Halo? Fable? Just for starters........

Both exclusive to xbox on console.  Just like Titanfall was xbox exclusive.
The difference is that they started as multiplats and became exclusives.

(05-17-2015, 11:07 PM)SickBeast Wrote: If you want to see proper exclusive games look at Nintendo.
Exactly.
Quote:MS sits on stacks of money, and XBone is selling more than 360 did in the first couple years, so they have little reason to care.

They don't care? If you say so:

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/xbox-revenue-price-cut/

Quote:If it's so clearly established, prove it.

According to Vgchartz. The PS4 has a nearly 700,000 unit/1,000,000 software lead over the One in the USA:

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/42092/USA/

Just posting the numbers, but yes, you are right about the split on American turf.

Quote:Note that in our four most highly populated states (by far) XBone wins in 3 and ties in one. PS4 is mainly more popular in the little Midwestern states.

Granted "Likes on FB" don't equal sales necessarily, but there's not much reason to think people are buying against their stated preferences either. FB is a pretty HUGE sample of preference, there's probably no bigger opinion poll in the USA.

You're just wrong on this, and again, why would you know anything about what's going on in the USA camped on the edge of the planet in Australia?

I prefer my above posted Vgchartz numbers to a facebook poll conducted mid last year, personally. LOL.

Quote:You're just wrong on this, and again, why would you know anything about what's going on in the USA camped on the edge of the planet in Australia?

Probably the internet. LOL. I live in America and wouldn't know what's going on console wise without the internet either. If I were to go by what people around me prefer, I would assume the Xbox One was "winning". Actual numbers say otherwise.

Quote:What's kind of funny about all your fapping over the PS4 is:

What do you care?

Last I knew, you don't own either, work for neither, own stock in neither.

No stake in the situation whatsoever.

Personally I own both, and as such, have supported current gen console gaming far more than you Greg.

No offense, but is any of this relevant? Are you indicating that you aren't biased, too?

(05-17-2015, 11:15 PM)SteelCrysis Wrote: Looks like I have to post this again:

AHh... The evil Sony vid again. LOL.
Quote:The difference is that they started as multiplats and became exclusives.
Really?! I didn't notice them for sale anywhere or on any platform prior to their XBOX console releases.........

(05-17-2015, 11:33 PM)googoo24 Wrote:
Quote:MS sits on stacks of money, and XBone is selling more than 360 did in the first couple years, so they have little reason to care.

They don't care? If you say so:

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/xbox-revenue-price-cut/

There are two kinds of success:

Sony style:Yay! One of our small divisions is making a few million, we might not lose a billion this year! Yay!

Microsoft style: "Darn, business is down a bit in one of our small divisions, but revenues are up and we're on track to make over $16 billion again this year, like we do every year.

You tell me if it makes sense that MS cares as much about consoles as Sony.

(05-17-2015, 11:33 PM)googoo24 Wrote: According to Vgchartz. The PS4 has a nearly 700,000 unit/1,000,000 software lead over the One in the USA:

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/42092/USA/

Just posting the numbers, but yes, you are right about the split on American turf.

Good God, THANK YOU.
Stanford probably knew this all along and was just arguing to troll.

There you go Greg, stats that show Xbone at 47.5% of the overall US market, besides actually winning it for 3 months. Proof positive of what I have said all along - that while PS4 may indeed lead the US market, it's pretty close to even here and PS4 enjoys no dominance in the USA.

(05-17-2015, 11:33 PM)googoo24 Wrote: I prefer my above posted Vgchartz numbers to a facebook poll conducted mid last year, personally. LOL.
Me too, and thanks again, but the FB numbers are in line with what you found on VGchartz.

(05-17-2015, 11:33 PM)googoo24 Wrote: Probably the internet. LOL. I live in America and wouldn't know what's going on console wise without the internet either. If I were to go by what people around me prefer, I would assume the Xbox One was "winning". Actual numbers say otherwise.
While I agree the internet is great for finding information, it's still different than living here. For example, check out Stanford and my argument in the other thread about Greg's position "stack'em high and sell'em cheap" being the way to sell cars in the USA.

You know many men with real jobs saying stuff like, "Dude! The new Yaris is out! They're up to 106hp and 30mpg city! Headed down to the dealer tonight to pick up one of those bad boys!"?

In Australia, or some other place gas costs $5-$6/gallon, it's probably a lot more normal to see little cars.

You wouldn't know stuff like that as readily without living here. Like you, most of the people we know have XBones, and 360s before it.

(05-17-2015, 11:33 PM)googoo24 Wrote: No offense, but is any of this relevant? Are you indicating that you aren't biased, too?
I'm not a console gamer at all, but I'm obviously not biased in the only way that matters to MS and Sony. I'd go further even:

I'm SO unbiased that I actually bought my son a PS3 and a PS4 against his wishes. He never asked for either, and actually asked me not to buy him the Sony consoles. (repeatedly) I bought them for him because I figured odds were good he'd have a friend or two that would get one and I wanted him to be able to play with all of his friends. (it turned out I was right and he did have one good friend with a PS3 and one with a PS4 that he did play with online)
(05-17-2015, 11:56 PM)gstanford Wrote:
Really?! I didn't notice them for sale anywhere or on any platform prior to their XBOX console releases.........
You're referring to franchises, not individual games. Therefore I am partially right, Halo started off as a multiplat, Fable started off as an exclusive, became multiplat briefly, then was exclusive again before becoming a multiplat again.
(05-18-2015, 01:27 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote:
(05-17-2015, 11:56 PM)gstanford Wrote:
You're referring to franchises, not individual games.  Therefore I am partially right, Halo started off as a multiplat, Fable started off as an exclusive, became multiplat briefly, then was exclusive again before becoming a multiplat again.

Bullshit! Show me where you can purchase Halo (or Fable) for anything other than PC/Mac and XBOX consoles. You won't be able to produce links showing versions of the game I can play on a PS2, PS3, PS4 or wii or wii u. That is because the games are console exclusive to M$ XBOX only.

Do you think I would have wasted money purchasing an XBOX 360 when I already had a PS3 if games like Fable and Halo were not exclusive to 360 and unavailable on other consoles?!

Microsoft is notorious for the practice. Even with 3rd party titles like the original Test Drive Unlimited. TDU 360 only (plus pc), TDU2 was released for 360 and PS3 and PC. Morrowind was XBOX and PC exclusive, Oblivion and Skyrim were available for both 360 and PS3. Fortunately M$ has a hard time maintaining console exclusivity unless they own the software developers making the game series.

(05-18-2015, 09:33 AM)gstanford Wrote: Do you think I would have wasted money purchasing an XBOX 360 when I already had a PS3 if games like Fable and Halo were not exclusive to 360 and unavailable on other consoles?!

If you would have bought a 360 to start with, you wouldn't have these problems.

Not like Halo was ever anything but MS only.

Be like the people of the USA Greg, look to MS for your consoles, and GM or Ford for a full size pick up truck, and all will be well.
The 360 is visually inferior in quality to PS3. Really noticeable in Mafia II among other titles (got it on both consoles through PS+ and Live Gold).

Only got the 360 for games that never made it to PS3.

Pathetically small 320gig hard drive on the 360 too, not to mention it is proprietary, can't use any old HDD and you can only use 32 gig of any external drive for the console.

Not to mention no Blu-Ray drive, my Ps3 is also my Blu-Ray player.

GTA V runs better on PS3 than on 360 too.

Microsoft is looking to boost Xbone GPU performance: http://gamingbolt.com/microsoft-looking-...timization
Quote:According to a job listing on the official careers page of Microsoft, it seems that company is looking to improve graphics performance of the Xbox One. The Advanced Technology Group within Microsoft are looking for a Software Engineer that has technical expertise in graphics performance optimization, GPU architectures, and HLSL shaders.

The job listing further states that the candidate should be able to make the GPU dance like it should be in a music video and improve frame hitches, possibly indicating towards frame rate optimization, and work directly with game developers to understand and address their technical problems and performance requirements. The Xbox One reportedly has a lesser GPU compared to the PlayStation 4, and optimization programmes such as these will go a long way in delivering better performing games on the console.
Sony can optimize their GPU too...... In the PS3 era they had a reputation for getting more out of RSX than M$ could with Xenos despite having less video ram.

What is interesting here is that XBONE and PS4 share pretty much the same GPU architecture, only the number of units, memory interface and high level API really separate them so any optimizations M$ can come up with will likely work just as well on the PS4 as they do on XBONE.

So, Sony just has to analyze the code going into new XBONE games and they will have a good idea of how to do the same thing themselves (if they haven't already thought of it).

XBone sales up 81%, still not enough to beat PS4: http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-tou...s-xbox-one
Beta for Tom Clancy's The Division will be XBone exclusive: http://www.neowin.net/news/tom-clancys-t...s-december
(06-16-2015, 04:16 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote: Beta for Tom Clancy's The Division will be XBone exclusive: http://www.neowin.net/news/tom-clancys-t...s-december

Yawn. Beta for Hitman will be PS4 exclusive as will some assassination missions. Street Fighter 5 is a PS4 exclusive. No Man's Sky will start out as a PS4 exclusive and become available on other systems "later". There are some PS4 exclusive missions for Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate. Both World of Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy VII are PS4 exclusives. Batman: Arkham Knight is another title that will have PS4 exclusive missions. PS4 owners will get map packs for the latest Call of Duty first. Destiny: The Taken King will have PS4-exclusive content.

And these are just the 3rd party titles. I haven't bothered to mention the Sony only franchises above like Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End, Shenmue III, The Last Guardian, Horizon: Zero Dawn.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/06/so...ckstarter/

Ok, thanks for making me better informed.

XBone is getting a Xbox 360 emulator, 100 games already announced for the emulator: http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/208265...e-xbox-one
(06-16-2015, 08:53 PM)SteelCrysis Wrote: XBone is getting a Xbox 360 emulator, 100 games already announced for the emulator: http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/208265...e-xbox-one

This is HUGE!

A. A person should be able to get $100 or more for their 360 (not a bad windfall)
B. Can get rid of one console by the tv
C. Sony actually charges $20/mo to stream PS3 games to PS4

Yet another victory for XBone.
Nobody knows how well the emulator will work yet. Judging by original XBOX to 360 emulation I'm going to guess not well at all (same situation reversed - x86 to PPC code on 360, will be PPC to x86 code on XBONE).

(06-17-2015, 03:37 PM)gstanford Wrote: Nobody knows how well the emulator will work yet.  Judging by original XBOX to 360 emulation I'm going to guess not well at all (same situation reversed - x86 to PPC code on 360, will be PPC to x86 code on XBONE).

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/do-xbox...0-6140654/

Gamespot says it worked well and the emulated games got higher resolution, more draw distance, and more anti aliasing. (and they said when they found a game that didn't work one day it was fixed the next, evidence MS was working on the patches)

PS4 owners aren't so lucky, greedy Sony makes them pay to play games they already purchased through PSNow. Angry
Most PS3 owners are in no rush to sell off their old console even if they also own a PS4.

I can understand why 360's owners would be glad to get rid of their old console though, you never know when the next RROD is going to strike and if you've owned a 360 since it launched you've probably had at least two replacement consoles due to RROD already. $100 for a 360 with no software to accompany it is dreaming, frankly, especially with the threat of RROD hanging over the potential purchasers head. Not to mention the risk that the previous owner was a dickhead on XBOX Live and the console is now XBL bricked as a result. 360's have almost no resale value outside of eb-games/gamestop trade-ins because of these issues.

As for the backward compatibility of 360, your link is piss-poor. Only a tiny handful of games from the original XBOX were ever made BC for 360 and a significant number of those have emulation issues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xb...h_Xbox_360

Don't be surprised if the 100 games announced are the only ones that ever get emulation.

Gears of War: Ultimate Edition coming to PC, just like the original Gears of War: http://www.neowin.net/news/gears-of-war-...lorious-4k
(06-17-2015, 06:11 PM)gstanford Wrote:  360's have almost no resale value outside of eb-games/gamestop trade-ins because of these issues.

The baby Jesus cries when you tell a lie Gstan.

Twelve 500GB 360s (like my sons) sold on ebay yesterday alone for over $100, and none for under $100..

Angel

Apparently YOU fear the RROD more than others. Big Grin
No lie, I checked ebay before I posted, the only ones getting decent money were ones with games included (putting a dent in your sell the console, keep the games argument).

There is a hilarious amount of dead 360's being peddled on ebay too........

I'll pretty much guarantee that most 360's sold on ebay/craigslist etc without games are consoles that had a RROD failure that the owner has (temporarily) brought back to life with the towel trick.

http://www.wikihow.com/Do-the-Xbox-360-Towel-Trick

After they have temporarily resurrected the console this way they then flog the console online to some poor sucker who gets a console that initially works but then fails on them and the seller then turns around and says "but dude it worked just fine when I sold it to you!!!"

EB-Games and Gamestop pull (or used to pull, probably still do) the same trick on their 360 trade-ins and call it "refurbishment" which is why you never purchase a pre-owned 360 from them.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2015/01/12/re...since-2009

(06-18-2015, 08:24 AM)gstanford Wrote: I'll pretty much guarantee that most 360's sold on ebay/craigslist etc without games are consoles that had a RROD failure that the owner has (temporarily) brought back to life with the towel trick.

http://www.wikihow.com/Do-the-Xbox-360-Towel-Trick

After they have temporarily resurrected the console this way they then flog the console online to some poor sucker who gets a console that initially works but then fails on them and the seller then turns around and says "but dude it worked just fine when I sold it to you!!!"

EB-Games and Gamestop pull (or used to pull, probably still do) the same trick on their 360 trade-ins and call it "refurbishment" which is why you never purchase a pre-owned 360 from them.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2015/01/12/re...since-2009

I've never heard of that, but we never bought a used console either.

The one we will be selling is a late revision, bought within a year of the XBone launch because the first one did RROD. (we threw it away)

I the emulator works well maybe my son can trade it for a game at Gamestop.

This is still a big deal no matter how hard you spin it GStan, PS4 owners wish they had it. (and greedy Sony steals $20 a month from people to get it)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/17/e...ty-for-ps4

Sony says NO at E3.
No, it isn't a big deal. Backward Compatibility has never been a big thing for any console. PS3 started out backwards compatible with PS2 then removed it, nobody cared sales actually improved (less baggage meant PS3 could be cheaper and cooler).

Frankly I don't know why they don't just have a big old cartridge style slot somewhere on the console where you would plug in a cartridge/box containing the cost reduced innards of the old console for those that wanted the feature. Thing is most people wouldn't want it, they already have the old console anyway and unlike you won't sell it off for next to nothing if they still want to play the old game, which is why my idea has never been done.

Anyhow enjoy the quality gaming this BC offers. Such quality treasures as:

High School Musical 3: Senior Year Dance
Merv Griffin's Cross Words
NPPL Championship Paintball 2009
Gin Rummy
[Image: ROFLMAO.gif]

Oh and by the way, you really should not comment on things that you have no clue about. It would be a pleasant change to hear talk out of your mouth instead of your arse for once.

You do NOT have to subscribe to PSNow!, you can rent titles individually if you want to, no subscription required! (but if you want you certainly can subscribe).

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explor...w/rentals/

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/psnow/