Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Console gaming thread
(06-18-2015, 06:31 PM)gstanford Wrote: No, it isn't a big deal.  Backward Compatibility has never been a big thing for any console.  PS3  started out backwards compatible with PS2 then removed it, nobody cared sales actually improved (less baggage meant PS3 could be cheaper and cooler).

Frankly I don't know why they don't just have a big old cartridge style slot somewhere on the console where you would plug in a cartridge/box containing the cost reduced innards of the old console for those that wanted the feature.  Thing is most people wouldn't want it, they already have the old console anyway and unlike you won't sell it off for next to nothing if they still want to play the old game, which is why my idea has never been done.

Anyhow enjoy the quality gaming this BC offers.  Such quality treasures as:

High School Musical 3: Senior Year Dance
Merv Griffin's Cross Words
NPPL Championship Paintball 2009
Gin Rummy
[Image: ROFLMAO.gif]

Oh and by the way, you really should not comment on things that you have no clue about.  It would be a pleasant change to hear talk out of your mouth instead of your arse for once.

You do NOT have to subscribe to PSNow!, you can rent titles individually if you want to, no subscription required!  (but if you want you certainly can subscribe).

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explor...w/rentals/

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/psnow/
Rolleyes
Quote:The new Xbox 360 games that will be backwards compatible to Xbox One includes: Halo 3, Halo Reach, Halo 3 ODST, Halo Wars, Fable II, Borderlands, Gears of War, Gears of War 2, Alan Wake, Mass Effect, and Shadow Complex.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/e3-201...t-expands/

& WOW! That is MUCH better! You can either rent the games you've already bought or stream them over PSNow?!
Sony gives it's fans not one but TWO ways to pay them multiple times for content they have already purchased!

Here's why Sony isn't doing backwards compatibility that their buyers would love to have- it costs money.
It is no different to going and hiring a movie from the video store.

Sony never made any promises that you would be able to run your existing PS3 game discs in the PS4. If you want to use the copies of the PS3 games that you already own you need to keep your PS3. On the PS4 you have to rent/subscribe to play a streamed version of PS3 titles. It is that simple.

Quote:Here's why Sony isn't doing backwards compatibility that their buyers would love to have- it costs money.
Yes, it costs money, and, nobody actually cares about proper BC as Sony proved when they removed PS2 compatibility from the PS3, which made it cheaper and sales went up.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
So what do you think is going to happen when all the budget conscious parents see that:

They can get a XBone for $175 trading in a 360, and their 360 games will be compatible?

http://www.upi.com/Business_News/2015/06...434583032/

I think I said this before, MS doesn't need to make money on XBone, because that business is pocket change to them. They can do stuff like this year round and not care.
Won't change much at all. A pig is still a pig no matter how much lipstick you slap on with a trowel.

When Sony removed the hardware PS2 BC from PS3 they offered digital downloads of some of the titles in the PSN store. You have to pay for those titles regardless of whether you own the PS2 disc or not.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(06-19-2015, 08:25 AM)gstanford Wrote: Won't change much at all.  A pig is still a pig no matter how much lipstick you slap on with a trowel.

When Sony removed the hardware PS2 BC from PS3 they offered digital downloads of some of the titles in the PSN store.  You have to pay for those titles regardless of whether you own the PS2 disc or not.

Your problem is there are actual advantages to owning a XBone and the list keeps growing.

Not many US shoppers are going to think "Gosh, the PS4 runs a few more games at 1080P. It's well worth $225 more.".

LOL- at $175 vs $399, the PS4 is the pig in lipstick. There is nothing Sony can do either because those nickels and dimes actually matter to them. They need them to keep the lights on.

If MS decides to do this worldwide and long term, it's "game over" for PS4.

It's debatable whether it's worth $50 more, at more than double the price it looks like a huge rip off or a joke.
Quote:Not many US shoppers are going to think "Gosh, the PS4 runs a few more games at 1080P. It's well worth $225 more.".
Enough do that M$ can't outsell PS4 with XBONE even in the USA .....

XBONE has to start outselling PS4 for at least 15 straight months, just for M$ to draw even with where Sony is now, let alone start taking any sort of lead. I'll entertain your theory when that happens, not before.

(06-19-2015, 09:29 AM)gstanford Wrote:
Quote:Not many US shoppers are going to think "Gosh, the PS4 runs a few more games at 1080P. It's well worth $225 more.".
Enough do that M$ can't outsell PS4 with XBONE even in the USA .....

XBONE has to start outselling PS4 for at least 15 straight months, just for M$ to draw even with where Sony is now, let alone start taking any sort of lead.  I'll entertain your theory when that happens, not before.

Have you actually bought a PS4 Gstan?

Just curious as you're such a staunch supporter.

My son was actually going to play some free horror game on it tonight.
Rollo Wrote:Have you actually bought a PS4 Gstan?

Not yet, probably this christmas though. I've played a fair bit with one though, my sisters family has one. Experienced DA: Inquisition, GTA V, Witcher 3 and much more running on it.

(06-19-2015, 10:18 AM)gstanford Wrote:
Rollo Wrote:Have you actually bought a PS4 Gstan?

Not yet, probably this christmas though.  I've played a fair bit with one though, my sisters family has one.  Experienced DA: Inquisition, GTA V, Witcher 3 and much more running on it.

Too bad you don't live here, you could trade in your 360 and get a $175 Xbone now, at that price you can't lose.
I don't want a skanky XBONE and I still use my 360 for a few titles that weren't made available on PS3.

(06-17-2015, 11:31 PM)gstanford Wrote: No lie, I checked ebay before I posted, the only ones getting decent money were ones with games included (putting a dent in your sell the console, keep the games argument).

I don't understand Gstan.

If ANYONE can just trade in their 360 for $175 off an XBone at Best Buy, how is that not "decent money"?

Not to mention it makes the backward compatibility all the more important because you won't have the 360 anymore?

You think to a parent of limited means getting an XBone for $175 that will play 360 games is going to look more appealing than spending $399 on a PS4 they have to buy all new games for? Because a PS4 can play a few more games at 1080P?

Rolleyes

I'm the opposite of a parent of limited means, and I look at that deal as "Nice! I can give my son the console and a nice pair of wireless headphones for the price of just a PS4, and he gets to play some of his old games free." (if he didn't already have an XBone and PS4 anyway)

That deal is so good I actually considered getting a SECOND XBone just to use as a Blu-Ray player, and then I remembered I've only rented/bought <10 Blu-Rays since they came out because I stream all my movies. (Blu-Ray is another worthless Sony technology)

Face it Gstan-

The PS4 is highway robbery at $399 when an XBone costs $175.
Rollo Wrote:The PS4 is highway robbery at $399 when an XBone costs $175.
isn't that the same argument the AMD shills use about their sides video cards vs nvidia's? It is a poor argument there and is a poor argument here too.

There are certainly no $175 XBONE's in Australia

https://ebgames.com.au/featured/console-...e/xbox-one

in fact the XBONE in 1 Tb form is downright expensive compared to PS4

https://ebgames.com.au/featured/console-hardware/ps4

(06-19-2015, 05:45 PM)gstanford Wrote:
Rollo Wrote:The PS4 is highway robbery at $399 when an XBone costs $175.
isn't that the same argument the AMD shills use about their sides video cards vs nvidia's?  It is a poor argument there and is a poor argument here too.

There are certainly no $175 XBONE's in Australia

https://ebgames.com.au/featured/console-...e/xbox-one

in fact the XBONE in 1 Tb form is downright expensive compared to PS4

https://ebgames.com.au/featured/console-hardware/ps4

The Xbone has many actual advantages over the PS4, unlike AMD/NVIDIA situation.

Better Cloud, better entertainment, better exclusives, add on USB3 drives, backwards compatibility, etc are reasons a sane person might think "Is getting 1080p in a few more games really worth $225 more and losing the XBone advatages?".

What happens on the edge of the world is of no concern to me, or in France for that matter. In the USA the XBone has always been close in sales to PS4, if trade in deals and sales continue PS4 won't be selling many units here.

Not to mention this is yet another reason it's great to live in the USA- we get really great deals.
M$ is desperate to sell their shitbox of a console just like MAD is desperate to sell their crappy Radeons. That is the only reason why XBONE is cheap in the USA (or anywhere else). Sony is flaying M$ alive this round.

(06-19-2015, 06:07 PM)gstanford Wrote: M$ is desperate to sell their shitbox of a console  just like MAD is desperate to sell their crappy Radeons.  That is the only reason why XBONE is cheap in the USA (or anywhere else).  Sony is flaying M$ alive this round.

Speaking as someone who actually owns both, I can say the PS4 is not the one that appears to be a premium box. The PS4 is actually pretty cheesy compared to an XBone, and the only advantages I can see with it are:

1. If the PS4 tv streaming ever gets widespread, it will be better than Sling on XBone
2. It plays some games at 1080p the XBone doesn't

It's a pretty cheaply made little box, the worst build quality of any console I've purchased.
Quote:It's a pretty cheaply made little box, the worst build quality of any console I've purchased.

You are so full of shit that you must have been a septic tank in a former life!

XBONE is the one with build quality issues, not the PS4. Many many quality control issues with the wireless controllers, arguably the most important part of all where build quality is concerned!~

(06-19-2015, 06:21 PM)gstanford Wrote:
Quote:It's a pretty cheaply made little box, the worst build quality of any console I've purchased.

XBONE is the one with build quality issues, not the PS4.  Many many quality control issues with the wireless controllers, arguably the most important part of all where build quality is concerned!~

I was talking about the box itself, it is such a cheesy piece of crap you would think it cost $19.99 at the Dollar General, not $399 at Best Buy.

http://www.designntrend.com/articles/279...-watch.htm

Quote:This news will likely be of no surprise to anyone with basic hardware knowledge. Because the Xbox One sports a much larger and thicker casing than Sony's PS4, it makes sense that the less streamlined Microsoft aesthetic would emerge victorious in a test such as this.

And there are all kinds of threads online about faded and scuffed plastic out of the box like they were built in 3rd world sweatshops.

The Xbone is a nice looking piece of equipment you're not ashamed to put next to your tv.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/20...-faul.aspx

Blue light of death sound familiar?
(06-19-2015, 11:30 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:
(06-19-2015, 06:21 PM)gstanford Wrote:

XBONE is the one with build quality issues, not the PS4.  Many many quality control issues with the wireless controllers, arguably the most important part of all where build quality is concerned!~

I was talking about the box itself, it is such a cheesy piece of crap you would think it cost $19.99 at the Dollar General, not $399 at Best Buy.

http://www.designntrend.com/articles/279...-watch.htm

Quote:This news will likely be of no surprise to anyone with basic hardware knowledge. Because the Xbox One sports a much larger and thicker casing than Sony's PS4, it makes sense that the less streamlined Microsoft aesthetic would emerge victorious in a test such as this.

And there are all kinds of threads online about faded and scuffed plastic out of the box like they were built in 3rd world sweatshops.

The Xbone is a nice looking piece of equipment you're not ashamed to put next to your tv.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/20...-faul.aspx

Blue light of death sound familiar?
Don't forget the PS3's yellow light of death.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
(06-20-2015, 12:31 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote: Don't forget the PS3's yellow light of death.

Rubbish! You are so full of shit you must be a dung beetle!

-GSonyford

Angel

What do you think Steely? If MS offers that rebate worldwide, does Sony sell 1 PS4 for the rest of the year (to Gstan) or 2 (also one to a guy who doesn't hear of the rebate, and then returns the PS4 when he does)?

The higher Sony resolutions on this list worth $225, no backwards compatible, no USB3, no media extras, no exclusives?
I have to be realistic, Sony will sell 2 PS4s for the rest of the year.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
(06-20-2015, 06:09 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote: I have to be realistic, Sony will sell 2 PS4s for the rest of the year.

You're probably right. I think Gstan has a brother.
The YLOD affected a miniscule portion of the original "fat" model PS3's. It is primarily caused by owners not keeping the PS3's ventilation ports free of dust and lint etc. RROD is primarily caused by solder type and heatsink clamp design. M$'s RROD affected 1 out of every 2 360's built. Unlike RROD it can usually be completely fixed too. As 360's continue to age I fully expect RROD will affect every last 360 ever made.

As for the BLOD, it was another tiny problem with the initial production run of PS4's. Only affected about 4000 of them, and most could be fixed by forcing the console into safe mode and reinitializing it. Some people needed to reseat the hard drive and a few needed to return the console. Basically it was factory workers not assembling systems correctly.

The bigger problem at the time was XBONE's shipping with blu-ray drives that did not work at all!

Quote:I was talking about the box itself, it is such a cheesy piece of crap you would think it cost $19.99 at the Dollar General, not $399 at Best Buy.
That is pure bullshit. The build quality is perfectly fine. You put it in your entertainment unit and leave it there, you don't play rugby with it!

(06-20-2015, 06:09 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote: I have to be realistic, Sony will sell 2 PS4s for the rest of the year.

You are missing at least 6 "0"'s after the 2..... and that is being ridiculously conservate, I'd probably triple the figure to at least 6 million.

Now we're talking about box construction? LOL. Wonder where this will head next.

Quote:Don't forget the PS3's yellow light of death.

Well, I've owned a PS3 for about 7-8 years now and only problem I ever had was with inserting cds. It doesn't always work.
(06-20-2015, 05:07 PM)googoo24 Wrote: Now we're talking about box construction? LOL. Wonder where this will head next.

Well, I've owned a PS3 for about 7-8 years now and only problem I ever had was with inserting cds. It doesn't always work.

Where will the thread head next? Who knows where Trollo will drag it in his desperation to promote M$ and put down Sony?

Yes, you are correct about PS3's. They are pretty resilient, the only real problems that (rarely) crop up being disc insertion/ejection, fluff and dust in the cooling system and thermal paste that can dry out which may lead to a solder reflow or BGA reball being required due to solder heat stress.

I have the superslim model, so disc insertion/ejection will never be an issue and the chips have all been shrunk to 45 nm and consolidated, they don't get hot enough to cause issues (it also didn't help that the PSU sat over the top of a chip in the original fat PS3).

(06-20-2015, 05:07 PM)googoo24 Wrote: Now we're talking about box construction? LOL. Wonder where this will head next.

Just saying one of the XBone's advantages is that it is a well built, sturdy component.

The PS4 seems like it game out of a gumball machine or Crackerjacks box as a prize.

On backwards compatible, Eurogamer says:
Quote:Unlike the spotty backwards compatibility available on Xbox 360, which required a custom wrapper for each individual game, Microsoft has taken a more extensive approach through the use of a virtual machine that runs on the Xbox One as a game in and of itself. This virtual environment includes the Xbox 360 OS features, though they remain unavailable to the user, enabling the software to behave as if it is running on original hardware.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digita...n-xbox-one

The beta still has some issues, but it looks like this may end up much better than the 360s emulation of 1st gen Xbox.

This will be a big deal this holiday season, you're apparently not a parent GStan. If your kid has a bunch of last gen games you paid good money for, the idea of them being able to keep playing them is a big deal because a. you paid good money for them b. gives them more options what to play. Guarantee you "but some of the games have a 20% lower frame rate!" is not in the picture.

Actually I'd bet non gamer parents (read: most parents, I only know one who reads sites like this) don't even know if there ARE emulation issues or which games are compatible.
LOL! I'm a parent, my kid is grown up.

My sister is also a parent, her family have xbox 360, PS3, PS4. They have no plans whatsoever to purchase M$ latest shitbox of a console and the XBONE being backward compatible with some of (not all of, M$ never claimed all 360 titles were compatible) does nothing whatsoever to change that!

(06-20-2015, 06:09 PM)gstanford Wrote: LOL!  I'm a parent, my kid is grown up.

My sister is also a parent, her family have  xbox 360, PS3, PS4.  They have no plans whatsoever to purchase M$ latest shitbox of a console and the XBONE being backward compatible with some of (not all of, M$ never claimed all 360 titles were compatible) does nothing whatsoever to change that!

If the XBone for $175 deal comes to Australia I bet she does. Another thing about being a parent is the annual "what do I get Jr for Christmas or birthday?" dilemma. (and $175 is a sweet spot for decent sized gift, not cheap, not expensive)
I can guarantee you she won't. She doesn't like the 360 she already has, the kids and her vastly prefer the Sony's.

She doesn't even bother subscribing to Live Gold for the free games. Even I do that.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/208625...to-backers
Quote:At E3 this week there were few announcements larger than Sony’s press conference. One of the key underpinnings was the announcement of a crowdsourced campaign to fund the creation of Shenmue 3, the lost conclusion to a planned trilogy of titles that debuted on the Dreamcast. Now, it’s been confirmed that Sony is actually bankrolling the project, and the entire affair is likely to leave an extremely sour taste in backers’ mouths.

Let’s start with the obvious. The original Shenmue was widely reported to have cost $70 million, though the game’s creator, Yu Suzuki, has claimed that the figure was inflated and that the real cost was $47 million. Either way, that’s far more than the $4 million stretch goal that the Kickstarter set (currently at $3.3 million as of this writing). Developing open-world, expansive gameplay has only gotten more expensive in the 16 years since Shenmue debuted, not less, and stretches credulity to think that a team of developers could deliver a sprawling adventure across multiple locations (or an incredibly detailed portrayal of a single location) in less than a tenth the original game’s budget.

It’s now clear that the entire affair was simply a PR stunt, a way to raise money and demonstrate public interest in a game. And that’s a real problem. Whether or not the campaign is legal or technically fulfills Kickstarter rules, it’s another example of how “crowdfunding” doesn’t actually buy you anything at all. Not a stake in the title. Not a say in whether or not the company sells itself to an enormously profitable social media company. And now, it doesn’t even buy you an assurance that someone else isn’t bankrolling the project.
XBone at participating retailers will come with free game as long as the game's on sale: http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-wil...n-xbox-one
(06-20-2015, 10:19 PM)SteelCrysis Wrote: XBone at participating retailers will come with free game as long as the game's on sale: http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-wil...n-xbox-one

We're seeing what I said would happen all along:

MS has the money buy this market with their pocket change, while Sony needs every nickel they can get.
Sony is getting plenty of nickels don't you worry, more than M$ is getting on xbone, that is for sure.

A little bit of good news for the XBOX 360 that has probably flown under most people's radar (it certainly flew under mine).

You can now use external Hard Drives up to 2 Tb in size with XBOX 360 as storage space and you can actually use all that space too. About frigging time!

You can plug in up to 2 external 2 Tb drives.

http://majornelson.com/2015/04/30/xbox-3...rd-drives/

(06-20-2015, 10:42 PM)gstanford Wrote: You can now use external Hard Drives up to 2 Tb in size with XBOX 360 as storage space and you can actually use all that space too.  About frigging time!

You can plug in up to 2 external 2 Tb drives.

http://majornelson.com/2015/04/30/xbox-3...rd-drives/

So you're saying "it's about frigging time" 360s get external hard drives, like XBones have, but you give Sony a total pass for not having them in the PS4. You even say it's better to have to take the PS4 apart, replace the hdd, lose the space you paid for, and have to download the games.

Rolleyes

Makes sense to me....errr...not.
With the 360 you can only purchase a 320gb proprietary internal drive, you HAVE to use an external if you want more storage. With PS3 and PS4, you just put a bigger drive inside. My E model 360 came with a pissy little 250gb drive and I'm sure as hell not paying for another proprietary drive for it.

As for the drive the console comes with already, upgrade an old laptop with it, put it in your PS3 if it has a small hard drive or put it in an external case and use it as a portable USB drive for PC or your XBOX (if you have one).

Plenty of uses.

(06-21-2015, 07:29 AM)gstanford Wrote: With the 360 you can only purchase a 320gb proprietary internal drive, you HAVE to use an external if you want more storage.  With PS3 and PS4, you just put a bigger drive inside.  My E model 360 came with a pissy little 250gb drive and I'm sure as hell not paying for another proprietary drive for it.

As for the drive the console comes with already, upgrade an old laptop with it, put it in your PS3 if it has a small hard drive or put it in an external case and use it as a portable USB drive for PC or your XBOX (if you have one).

Plenty of uses.

I wondered how you would try to spin your way out of that.

You probably think you did, but any rational person can see:

1. Back up to cloud
2. Disassemble case
3. Replace hard drive
4. Re-assemble case
5. Find use for hard drive or sell for peanuts
6. Download content back on to new hard drive

pretty much blows goats compared to:

1. Plug in any USB 3 hard drive you like and start using it in conjunction with the original

I still think you are BFG10K, GStan. He used to always make batshit crazy arguments like the above and then follow up with stuff like, "Twisting the screwdriver to remove the case is a good wrist exercise to avoid carpel tunnel syndrome- advantage PS4!" or "Sony cares about poor people and has provided for a huge supply of dirt cheap used hard drives for them to buy from PS4 upgraders!".

Face it GStan. Sony screwed the pooch on storage for the PS4.
You do not have to backup to the cloud! You can backup to a normal external USB hard drive! The only thing you cannot do with an external drive on Sony consoles is install games to them.

There is NO case disassembling! Not for PS4 or for PS3. In both cases you slide a plastic cover off then unscrew 1 screw and slide the drive out!

Trollo Wrote:Face it GStan. Sony screwed the pooch on storage for the PS4
The only thing the pooch screwed is your bigoted brain!

(06-21-2015, 08:27 AM)gstanford Wrote: You do not have to backup to the cloud!  You can backup to a normal external USB hard drive!  The only thing you cannot do with an external drive on Sony consoles is install games to them.

There is NO case disassembling!  Not for PS4 or for PS3.  In both cases you slide a plastic cover off then unscrew 1 screw and slide the drive out!

Trollo Wrote:Face it GStan. Sony screwed the pooch on storage for the PS4
The only thing the pooch screwed is your bigoted brain!

Sliding a plastic cover, removing a drive, and unscrewing a screw IS case disassembly.

Saving to an external drive and then moving content back off it is the same step, just to a different data receptacle.

Putting the new drive in, replacing the screw, and replacing the cover IS case re-assembly.

Like I said, six steps vs one, and can't use the old hard drive any more in the PS4.

My assessment of the PS4's storage inferiority is spot on and undeniable. XBone's method is superior.
Owners of current gen consoles do not agree with you as evidenced by their preference for PS4 over crapbox one.

You need to backup an xbox internal HDD to an external HDD or to the cloud, just like you do a playstation internal HDD.

Not to mention M$ has had to introduce a 1tb crapbox one since they don't allow consumers to change out the crapbox's internal drive. I bet they will sting existing users a nice big service fee if they want to upgrade their old 500gb console to 1tb of internal storage though.

(06-21-2015, 09:56 AM)gstanford Wrote: You need to backup an xbox internal HDD to an external HDD or to the cloud, just like you do a playstation internal HDD.

Bzzzztttt- wrong again Gstan.

You just plug in the external, and format to accept games. How long does this take?

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/132072-h...-100-games

Quote:Formatting the drive takes no more than five or six seconds and you're good to go...On your main games and apps screen you will now see that the entire storage available, both internally and externally, is accumulated into one statistic.
If you want to replace the existing internal drive (and you would because it is so small and the crapbox stores tv captures as well as games on it) then you do need to back it up unless you are fine with losing everything on it.

Sony doesn't allow games to be installed to external hard-drives for a good reason - piracy control. Piracy is rampant on modded 360's. It is all but non existant on playstation. Two reasons why.

1. Blu-ray media vs dvd's.
2. DRM via a custom hard drive filesystem.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2009/11/ch...ly-banned/