Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Console gaming thread
Quote:This is my point in stating that Sony was utterly idiotic in *not* having a 4K BRD in the PS4 Pro. The people that care don't give a shit about the additional cost of the drive, which for Sony would be in the range of $20(additional, not total)- they also don't have to pay any royalties which MS does.

The elitists who care about movie quality are a different group to those who care about gaming quality and because Sony can offer them a stand alone 4K BluRay player anyway they don't care whether a "kiddie console" (in their eyes) can do 4K BluRay or not. Even if they also wanted to game the "silver spoon jammed up arse" elitists would simply purchase both the 4K BluRay player and the PS4 Pro without even blinking.

Sure, some people who aren't elitists and wanted 4K BluRay capability will go purchase an XBONE S to get that capability on the cheap. Good on them. I have no problem with it, Sony has no problem with it (PS4 Pro launched after XBONE S did). It has barely made a dent in Sony's console sales.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
Yeah, Ben actually did a good job with his last post in this thread.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
(08-30-2017, 08:36 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote: Yeah, Ben actually did a good job with his last post in this thread.

3/4s of the people in this conversation think Sony made a mistake not putting 4K BluRay in Pro.

My guess is GStan does too, he's just saying the opposite to troll me. There really wasn't any reason NOT to, and a lot of good reasons to include it.

The lack of the 4K BluRay is probably why the Pro is such a poor seller for Sony, I bet they could have replaced the original PS4 had they done that. (with a higher margin, more exciting product)
No, I could not care less about 4K BluRay or movie watching in general.  I'm a gamer and reader in my spare time not a tv watcher.

The wife is pretty much the same, though she prefers socializing to computers and gaming.

In the extremely unlikely event that I needed to watch something on 4K BluRay I'd just bung it into the XBONE S.  Sony not having 4K BluRay makes not a lick of difference to me, PS4/Pro does regular BluRay anyway though, so it could play 99.9% of anything I might conceivably want to watch.

The PS4 Pro does replace the original PS4 you moron.  More powerful at gaming for the exact same price.  Slim is the original capabilities in a cheaper package.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(08-30-2017, 06:25 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:
(08-30-2017, 08:36 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote: Yeah, Ben actually did a good job with his last post in this thread.

3/4s of the people in this conversation think Sony made a mistake not putting 4K BluRay in Pro.

My guess is GStan does too, he's just saying the opposite to troll me. There really wasn't any reason NOT to, and a lot of good reasons to include it.

The lack of the 4K BluRay is probably why the Pro is such a poor seller for Sony, I bet they could have replaced the original PS4 had they done that. (with a higher margin, more exciting product)

No reason to get all snippy Gstan. Of course you don't care about 4K, you don't have a 4K HDR tv last I knew. Which personally I don't think is a big deal as I'm watching Rollo Jr's 60" 1080P these days while he uses the 65" 4K HDR, to me 1080P streamed is fine.

The point you keep avoiding is that from a business perspective, unless your assertion "Fools! Sony sells more consoles than MS!" is your argument.
https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/25472...xbox-one-x
Quote:It’s abundantly clear that the Xbox One X will be the most powerful console on the market, but it’s still a tough sell in many ways. Sure, it has a faster CPU, much more RAM, and a substantially beefier GPU than the nearest competitor, but Microsoft is starting from a somewhat compromised position.

Sales wise, the Xbox One is only half that of the PS4 right now. Hard data is hard to come by, but some estimates put the Xbox One at about 30 million units sold compared with over 60 million on Sony’s side. The existing sales gap is much smaller within the limits of the United States, but the rest of the world has been hesitant to buy in. A more expensive model likely won’t turn the tables there.

And not only did the PS4 Pro launch a whole year ahead of the X, it did so at a significantly lower price. These days, it’s easy to find new Pros selling in the $370-$380 range, PS4 Slims for $270, and the Xbox One S for $250. To us, it’s not entirely clear if the Xbox One X will be worth the premium price. Sure, it’s hard to build a 4K-ready gaming PC at the $500 price point, and the Xbox One X is supposedly the “fastest-selling Xbox pre-order,” but the allure of both cheaper consoles and higher-end PCs seem to leave the Xbox One X in a tough spot.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
https://www.neowin.net/news/game-dvr-on-...g-with-hdr
Quote:Microsoft's current Xbox VP, Mike Ybarra, took to Twitter and replied to a fan's inquiry about Xbox One X DVR capabilities. Mike confirmed that the Xbox One X is able to record and playback at up to 4K while supporting both 60 FPS and HDR. This means that any recorded game footage you want to share should look significantly better than it currently does when captured on standard Xbox One hardware.

Though Mike confirmed that the Xbox One X can record at this level of detail it remains to be seen whether uploaded games will be viewable in uncompressed/low-compressed formats. All of this data has to be stored somewhere and gamers recording data-heavy video/audio will only put more stress on the Azure-powered cloud storage that Xbox uses for online Xbox DVR playback. Mike's confirmation also neglects to answer whether the One X will support longer capture time, which is currently inferior to the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 4 Pro's maximum capture duration of 15 minutes.
(08-30-2017, 11:30 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:
(08-30-2017, 06:25 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:

No reason to get all snippy Gstan. Of course you don't care about 4K, you don't have a 4K HDR tv last I knew. Which personally I don't think is a big deal as I'm watching Rollo Jr's 60" 1080P these days while he uses the 65" 4K HDR, to me 1080P streamed is fine.

The point you keep avoiding is that from a business perspective, unless your assertion "Fools! Sony sells more consoles than MS!" is your argument.

From a Business perspective Sony is whooping M$ arse in the console arena 4K Bluray capability or not. My argument trumps any of yours.

(08-31-2017, 07:41 AM)gstanford Wrote: From a Business perspective Sony is whooping M$ arse in the console arena 4K Bluray capability or not.  My argument trumps any of yours.

But the PS4 Pro is a flop because it doesn't have a 4K BluRay player, it is selling half as many as the XBone One S.

That is what were talking about here, so making statements about other products isn't a very good argument.

Ford sell more trucks that Dodge and Toyota sells more cars than Honda. OK, but what did that add to the discussion?
LOL!  PS4 Pro a flop!  Only in your fevered little imagination!  

It is selling much better than your beloved Scorpio is or will!  Phil Spencer agrees with me.

https://youtu.be/q7nH9-H4YE8

Seek to 3.48 in the video link above where Phil Spencer states

Phil Spencer Wrote:but most of the consoles we sell next year will be S and thats fine
For the the broader conversation leading to that seek back to 2.00 in the video.

I've posted the video here before. I suggest anyone who has an interest in how the console market is developing watches it in its entirety and listens carefully to what Phil Spencer has to say in it. He is the head of the XBOX console division after all and if he doesn't know, I don't know who would.

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/25537...-increased
Quote:The situation thus far hasn’t been encouraging. The first round of SNES Classic pre-orders sold out in a few minutes, but Nintendo says that’s all out of its control. Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aimé urges gamers not to pounce on the consoles the instant they hit eBay. “You shouldn’t [have to] pay more than $79.99,” said Fils-Aimé. It’s easy to say that, but can we trust Nintendo on this?

According to Nintendo, it has planned to “dramatically increase” production of the SNES Classic Edition to ensure everyone can buy it at retail. Of last year’s mistakes, Fils-Aimé says the company mistakenly set up its supply chain and manufacturing deals based on the mediocre sales of other retro consoles. If that’s true, Nintendo clearly does not understand the emotional connection many gamers have to NES games.

So, maybe you should hold off on the SNES Classic bidding wars and see how this works out. If Nintendo can indeed meet demand this year, you shouldn’t have to drop more than the $80 asking price. If it fails… like they say: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
Nintendo says the NES Classic is coming back: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nintend...35434.html
Xbox One X preorders have begun: http://4k.com/news/xbox-one-x-4k-hdr-con...ide-21417/
Rainbow 6 Siege on PS4 has a console-bricking update: https://www.neowin.net/news/rainbow-6-si...inoperable
Amazon sells out preorders of the Xbox One X: https://www.neowin.net/news/popular-reta...xbox-one-x
Quote:At the time of writing, the Xbox One X tops the video game consoles and accessories category in Amazon's Best Sellers index, ahead of the Nintendo Switch in 13th and 17th positions and the PlayStation 4 Pro ranked 23rd.
Hmmm, dude down in Australia thought it would be irrelevant.

I think it will sell, lot of gaming power for cash, 4K BluRay.