Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Console gaming thread
Gstan, I got a 2080Ti Amp this week.

It's probably about last place in video cards.
Doesnt mean it's not the best video card you can buy for under $1500..

MS has the best hardware out right now in the console world, and far more resources than Sony or NiNintendo.
Quote:M$ has the best hardware out right now in the console world, and far more resources than Sony or NiNintendo.
And yet they have proven themselves incapable of translating the so-called "superior" hardware and resources into increased sales or consumer mind share....
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
Gstan, they have sold 45 million of the things, which is not like selling 2?
Rolleyes

Not to mention the numbers are much closer in the USA, where in June at least PS4 was at 29m and Xbone at 25m?

Now I imagine in a place like Australia folks look to the outside world for trends of "what is popular or good".

But in the US no one really cares what people in China or Spain are driving, wearing, playing with, etc.. We are our own market, and in general assume what we are doing is all that matters.
There's some good reason for that too. With technology- we build the worlds CPUs, GPU's, SOCs and operating systems.

There wouldn't be any PS anything without AMD, a Texas company.

(Unless of course Sony bought the parts that matter from Intel or NVIDIA, other US companies)

And....Xbox One X has made PS4 look slow, outdated and and primitive for a long time now. PS4 is kind of like Nintendo- they sell inferior consoles because they have some fun game exclusives.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year guys
(12-15-2019, 07:27 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: Gstan, they have sold 45 million of the things, which is not like selling 2?
Rolleyes

Not to mention the numbers are much closer in the USA, where in June at least PS4 was at 29m and Xbone at 25m?

Now I imagine in a place like Australia folks look to the outside world for trends of "what is popular or good".

But in the US no one really cares what people in China or Spain are driving, wearing, playing with, etc.. We are our own market, and in general assume what we are doing is all that matters.

Hit_head

Give it up already and admit defeat!

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
At the Christmas party at work today all the guys have Xbox parties, they said Play Station is long dead and buried.
Must be some pretty potent booze and smokes at those parties if that's what they are saying (maybe they like the same Bourbon and cigars as Rollo)?

ROFLMAO

LOL Gstan, in the states Sony doesnt hold the fanboy attraction they seem to have over you.

I think most US folks probably have both consoles by now. Serious gamers would have a One X by now, as they are so much better than PS4 Pros.

And I think some people like the Xbone controllers better.

Happy holidays Dave!
https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/30344...onsole-war
Quote:On December 12, 2019, Microsoft announced the Xbox Series X, its next-generation game console. One of the major features of this new console is full backward-compatibility with the previous generation. Your titles will transfer. Xbox One controllers will work with the Xbox Series X, and Series X controllers will work with the Xbox One. All of this will arrive on Day 1, out of the box.

With that announcement, Microsoft bridged the last fundamental gap between PC and console gaming. On the PC, we don’t talk about “generations” the same way that the console market does. The closest thing to a generation in the PC space is a Direct3D version, but the two have never been equivalent — modern PC games use a variety of APIs, including DirectX 11, DirectX 12, and Vulkan. Instead, we use touchstones like when a game came out relative to when a person bought their PC or graphics card. The reason we don’t talk about “generations” is that PCs have remained more-or-less backward-compatible with decades of software. The majority of PC titles from the past 15 years will still run on modern systems, but that same time period refers to at least three different console generations.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/new-xb...-x-release
Quote:Microsoft finally revealed its next-generation console at the 2019 Game Awards on December 12. The device was revealed as the Xbox Series X, but yesterday, Business Insider reported that Microsoft actually plans to call its next-gen console "Xbox."

So does that mean there won't be a device called the Xbox Series X? No. It turns out that there will be a specific version of the upcoming Xbox called "Xbox Series X."

"The name we're carrying forward to the next generation is simply Xbox," a Microsoft rep told Business Insider. "And at The Game Awards you saw that name come to life through the Xbox Series X. ... Similar to what fans have seen with previous generations, the name 'Xbox Series X' allows room for additional consoles in the future."
Here's a little M$ revelation for Rollo.

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-head...threatened

Quote:A few months later, Spencer took over as head of Xbox. Whatever jubilation he felt was short-lived; a few weeks into the job, he got a call from Satya Nadella... 'I don't actually know a whole lot about why we're in gaming,' Nadella told him... Many developers who had worked on the Xbox One felt let down by Microsoft's big vision; it was, as some told Spencer, not in line with 'the soul' of what Xbox was. 'Satya was transparent that there could be a future where gaming isn't a business that Microsoft should be in,' Spencer told me... He looked at where Xbox had failed, and how the brand could be saved — if at all.

Like I've said before in this thread there is a very large part of M$ that dislikes/disapproves of the XBOX division and they would dump it if they could, given the chance.  The XBOX only ever existed because Bill Gates wanted a way to get PC's into the living room instead of japanese consoles and he didn't much care about whether the thing could game or not, just that it was an M$ thing, which inevitably led to the XBONE and it's launch debacle.

You can see the direction Nadella clearly wants to go with XBOX as well - the same direction he has taken everything else at M$ since taking top job - the Azure cloud. Watch him dump dedicated console hardware the instant he can and all XBOX gamers will become streaming gamers. That is the game plan behind Gamepass. And as I've pointed out in the past, Phil Spencer doesn't care if you actually buy M$ consoles or not, he only cares whether you subscribe to XBOX Live or not.

Well, we have some xmas week results in and sorry to say XBONE is well past comatose and deep into petrification at this point.

Between 7 december (the last graph) and 21 december XBONE could only muster 600,000 sales. Meanwhile PS4 racked up 1.2 million sales and Switch a very impressive 2.9 million sales.

Santa sure did deliver plenty of Switch mini's into kid's stockings this xmas. he left the XBONE buried at the bottom of the coal pile in the boiler room though!

ROFLMAO

[Image: zc4p8ke.jpg]

https://techreport.com/news/3467613/nvid...-xbox-ps5/
Quote:Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang showed off the Lenovo Y740 laptop, powered by Nvidia’s RTX 2080 Max-Q GPU, at last week’s GPU Technology Conference (GTC). The purpose of the presentation was to showcase how the Max-Q tech can bring significant performance improvements to lightweight laptops. One of the more interesting data points in the presentation, however, had Huang comparing the laptop to the upcoming consoles. According to Huang, the 2080 Max-Q-powered laptop will outperform the not-yet-released Xbox and PlayStation 5 consoles.
You can see a bunch of words like “likely” and “not guaranteed” up there because the truth is, we don’t know exactly what the exact specs of the upcoming consoles are or what the systems will cost. Huang is making a pretty sloppy statement here in claiming that these systems will be more powerful than next-gen consoles. He doesn’t know, we don’t know, and it’s just not very likely based on what we know right now.
Lots of PC gaming GPU's are faster than console GPU's, what's your point?

If that 2080 Max-Q isn't ending up inside an actual console then this thread is the wrong place to be discussing it.

I don't get it, maybe it's a group preference. While the guys at work are all Xbox only, at my local American Legion we are members of they are practically giving an Xbox away with a Holiday Raffle and can't sell it out, no one wants Xbox they all say they like PS only.
https://www.techpowerup.com/262698/xbox-...-7nm-tinge
Quote:Phil Spencer, head of the Xbox division at Microsoft, posted a picture of the semi-custom SoC at the heart of the company's upcoming "Project Scarlett" Xbox Series X game console as his Twitter avatar. The picture reveals a chip that looks visibly similar to that of "Project Scorpio" (Xbox One X). The picture was also taken from an angle that reveals the pinkish/auburn tinge of 7 nm AMD chips made at TSMC. You'll find the same tinge on chips such as "Navi 10" when viewed from an angle. The die unabashedly bears the "Project Scarlett" and "8K" markings.
Gstan, do you guys have Gamepass down there?

My son, who is mainly a pc gamer and PS4 Pro gamer, has told me that he is VERY impressed with what MS is doing there.
Yes, we do have Gamepass. I'm not signed up for it. I purchase the titles I want to play on disc from my local EB-Games for both PS4 and XBONE.

Gamepass is the ultimate proof that M$ doesn't give a damn about gamers and only wants their money in rent seeking subscription form.

The XBONE consoles are nothing more than a way of enabling the rent seeking until everyone has good enough internet to just stream them the games.

Son says it's a great deal, huge access to lots of games including new ones.

And apparently MS is the ONLY company that cares about gamers:

The One X they launched over two years ago makes PS anything look primitive. You think Somy couldn't have launched similar?

Not to mention Sony ties gamers to their inferior hardware with exclusives that are generation specific. MS gives more access with backward compatibility (a move Sony is copying with PS5, years later) and cross platform.
I'm happy that you love XBONE so much, someone certainly needs to!

Me, I'll stick with PlayStation 4 for the most part.

And I have access to lots of games on PS4 (far more than XBONE). I pay for the ones I want to own and I get to keep them forever. I don't need to rent games (though I could with PS Now which works like gamepass nowadays).

Sony has had backward compatibility forever. PS2 was PS1 compatible. PS3 was PS2 and PS1 compatible. It isn't a big selling point and it hasn't saved XBONE's bacon.