Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Valve Gives Debian Devs All Steam Games For Free, Dual Boot Not Goal For SteamOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWaG9hOvNn0
John Vert gives a shocking presentation. Talk about no try before you buy. Making installing it yourself easy, or making it a good desktop OS aren't goals either. Though he indicates that they want to improve the desktop experience later.

And if Valve is really aiming for the living room, it's too late. 8th gen consoles have had their prices cut to below the Steam Machines, Nvidia has undercut them all with the SHIELD console, and getting a PC into the living room isn't going to work. Just look at HTPCs. They're perceived as too big and expensive for the living room, so what gets bought instead? A bunch of cheap, smaller things that in total can do what the HTPC does. And what's Steam Link? A cheap, small thing that does something Steam Machines do, which is stream games. See the pattern?

Oh, and at 23:50, that gift of a free subscription to all Steam games is fucking scandalous. People spend a ton of money on their Steam libraries and the Debian devs get all Steam games for Linux now and in the future for free!? Wait, could this after-the-fact-almost-a-bribe be how Steam became dominant?

Plus it's fucking hilarious to see him whining about how they intend to counter the open, non-dependent-on-app-stores Windows and Mac OS X platforms with the identical platform that is SteamOS. According to him later on, Valve is weighing up how far they want to go in letting people install their own packages. With this level of delirious behavior and his dizzy grin, I think John Vert should be called John Vertigo.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
SteamOS is based off of linux.

Linux can do virtually every important task windows can already.

Media playback (vlc)

Productivity (open office, libre office, the gimp, ghostscript)

Email (thunderbird)

Web (fixefox)

Disc burning (brasero)

and the list goes on and on. So who really needs dual boot on the machines any way?
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
Because Libre Office and Open Office both have serious issues correctly opening files originally created in Microsoft Office, that's how. And Microsoft Office is the standard. Hell, lack of app support was the reason Munich went back to Windows. Don't forget, VLC toys with your audio, and if it's on a laptop, it can kill the speakers and void the warranty: http://kickass.to/blog/bfab/post/26417/
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
Bullshit.

You can save to open document format within M$ office before trying to open with Open Office or Libre Office.

You can disable audio stretching and volume above 100% in VLC.

Used it for years on a HP laptop no damage to speakers or any other audio component.

Why you feel the need to lie your arse off about things is totally and utterly beyond me.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
Did you even read the link? VLC kills laptop speakers through hard clipping, not audio volume. Of course, I corrected myself only after I posted. Good luck convincing businesses to save their documents in ODF and cause who knows what changes to the document before opening it in Open Office or Libre Office. .doc and .docx are the standard, like it or not.
Documents being saved in ODF happens all the time.

I don't think valve is relying on businesses to purchase steam boxes in order for them to succeed.

Open/Libre office is all the productivity most people not running a business need.

If you are a business and sending out .doc and .docx formats instead of .pdf then you are a fool.

If you are a not for profit/community run group you may send the budget and profit/loss statements in .xls format to stakeholders, these will definitely convert with no trouble to .odf unless the person creating them is a fool (and in that case they need replacing).

VLC only clips audio if you increase the volume over 100%

from your link:
SC's Linked Article Wrote:VLC has a feature that can make the audio sound louder than it does with other players. VLC achieves this by using a process that creates hard clipping . Clipping has always been known to be dangerous to small speakers and the speakers in a laptop are tiny. Dell has tested VLC and verified that the speakers can be damaged after several hours of using VLC. I believe that HP also says that VLC damage is not covered under its warranty.

My mistake, Libre Office can now handle .docx just fine: http://www.ocsmag.com/2015/02/16/libreof...-it-rocks/