Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The death of nvidia's viral PR
(03-12-2015, 07:17 PM)Picao84 Wrote: That is all fine and dandy and political correct. Things go bust when you are presenting facts, which ARE facts, but someone else likes to invent their own.
This is already off topic though and since you are not a mod, as far as I am aware, I wonder why you jumped in to comment on my posts. Maybe because you both have something in common heh? That is all I'm saying on the subject as well, since everyone else knows who you both are and who you work or worked for.

This is a topic that interests me.

The demise of the focus group, the departure of Derek Perez (former PR chief), the replacement of David Kirk with Bill Dally, the introduction of g80 and CUDA all occurred roughly the same time.

What I'd like to know is who was the one responsible for viral in nvidia? Did the buck stop with Derek Perez or did it go higher (up to Kirk, who was known for being evasive/vague in interviews).

It really does seem that once g80, CUDA and Dally arrived (and they are all intimately connected) nvidia cleaned house to get a more professional image.

Fascinated to hear what Rollo and Keysplayr have to say about this.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
I'm not really sure what went on before I was in the group. E.G. the AEG days. I came into the group late into G92 era. About the only thing I remember about Derek Perez was a rumored fight between himself and Charlie Demerjian. What about I don't remember. AFAIK, Nvidia reconsidered that old line of marketing in favor of a more open one. And also full disclosure of the focus group members in forum signatures and so on.
AEG in 2015?!

I think I'll pass on that one, I've posted what I know more than once and no one believes what I posted.

So I'm left with:
Post lies people want to hear.
Post truth they won't believe.

Can't win there.

I will say this:

AFAIK Nvidia's "focus groups" have never had more than 6 members. Compare that with the 1000s on AMDs board.

In some ways, I feel somewhat responsible for what AMD did with the whole thing because I was the most flamboyant and notorious of us. One of my degrees is in psych, and I'm pretty good at pushing people's buttons when I want to.

I think AMDs Advocate program has backfired on them in a big way, and it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of guys. (as the saying goes) However, I can't help but feel I had a small part in the death of the tech forums as communities, and I really miss those days.

If I'm right, my apologies to all the good people who used to post and moved on, leaving the large forums a wasteland of company employees and "advocates".
I don't accept your apology but I appreciate it. That being said, it's not entirely your fault and had you not done it there would have been someone else to take your place.

You know what actually Rollo I do accept your apology, I changed my mind.
(03-13-2015, 12:01 AM)SickBeast Wrote: I don't accept your apology but I appreciate it. That being said, it's not entirely your fault and had you not done it there would have been someone else to take your place.

I'm not arrogant enough to take it all on myself. (doubt that many people actually give a rats ass about me one way or another)

But I can't help but wonder if I had some small part in ATi's choice to expand their viral program to the forum crushing army of sock puppets it has become.

Any forum you go to has dozens of zombies posting "AMD parts are a darn good value for the money. They will be releasing (insert APU no one cares about here) on date X, it is cause for celebration!".Sick
(03-13-2015, 05:29 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:
(03-13-2015, 12:01 AM)SickBeast Wrote: I don't accept your apology but I appreciate it. That being said, it's not entirely your fault and had you not done it there would have been someone else to take your place.

I'm not arrogant enough to take it all on myself. (doubt that many people actually give a rats ass about me one way or another)

But I can't help but wonder if I had some small part in ATi's choice to expand their viral program to the forum crushing army of sock puppets it has become.

Any forum you go to has dozens of zombies posting "AMD parts are a darn good value for the money. They will be releasing (insert APU no one cares about here) on date X, it is cause for celebration!".Sick
The worst part of it was AnandTech's complacency throughout it all, even when AEG and the nVidia focus group were on there. Making Keysplayr the mod took the cake for me. If you ever want to see a forum that has been bought, go look at AnandTech. They even had an AMD Zone on the main page that I think is now an Intel Zone of some sort.

HardOCP seems like the only major tech site out there that's worth its salt. Several of the others have been bought out. Toms and AT are both owned by the same media conglomerate now.

If you look at how apoppin has handled the shills, that is how it should be done and it's sad that other places haven't followed his lead.
That is why I've always liked this forum: It is what forums used to be because it's too small to be noticed by the zombie hordes.
(03-13-2015, 06:13 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: That is why I've always liked this forum: It is what forums used to be because it's too small to be noticed by the zombie hordes.

AMD still apparently tried to turn this place into a shill forum and we had some guys come on here and try to ruin it. Evolucion comes to mind. He got banned. You and evolucion are the only two people ever banned by ABT. Such a distinction LOL.

Should we let evolucion come back Dave? What do you think? No holds barred for ABT? All are welcome, no moderation? We could try it. So far Rollo is reasonably well behaved, although he does require some enlightenment.
I'm all in favor of letting this evolucion guy back, I never knew him, and we could use more members.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
(03-13-2015, 06:58 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote: I'm all in favor of letting this evolucion guy back, I never knew him, and we could use more members.

If people are entertained by flame wars, the battles between him and the nVidia guys will be epic. How do we find him though? Do we have his email logged on the old forum?
No! no evolucion8 here!

Choose between me and him, if he comes I go!

(03-12-2015, 11:37 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: AEG in 2015?!

I think I'll pass on that one, I've posted what I know more than once and no one believes what I posted.

So I'm left with:

Can't win there.

I will say this:

AFAIK Nvidia's "focus groups" have never had more than 6 members. Compare that with the 1000s on AMDs board.

In some ways, I feel somewhat responsible for what AMD did with the whole thing because I was the most flamboyant and notorious of us. One of my degrees is in psych, and I'm pretty good at pushing people's buttons when I want to.

I think AMDs Advocate program has backfired on them in a big way, and it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of guys. (as the saying goes) However, I can't help but feel I had a small part in the death of the tech forums as communities, and I really miss those days.

If I'm right, my apologies to all the good people who used to post and moved on, leaving the large forums a wasteland of company employees and "advocates".

Like the dectective said: "the facts madam, just the facts".

Post the truth.

So I'm left with:

Can't win there.

I will say this:

Like the dectective said: "the facts madam, just the facts".

Post the truth. and nobody is going to be surprised to learn that nvidia's team was tiny compared to ATi/AMD's. Most of that team was quite professional. One wasn't. I'm sure you know who I mean..........

(03-13-2015, 05:29 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: But I can't help but wonder if I had some small part in ATi's choice to expand their viral program to the forum crushing army of sock puppets it has become.

I think you are directly responsible for the mess VC&G has turned into on the anandtech forums!

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(03-13-2015, 11:59 AM)gstanford Wrote: I think you are directly responsible for the mess VC&G has turned into on the anandtech forums!

If you are correct, I'm in the wrong line of work.

Apparently you believe I single handedly influenced either a multi billion dollar corporation, and/or hundreds of people.

Sorry, just don't think I'm that good. (wish I was though- think of the wealth a person could amass with that sort of power of persuasion!)

Note to Sickbeast who apparently doesn't remember my post of what I do:

I'm a team leader at a software company. I have people who do software conversion, implementation, training, and support on my team. I work on all of these things, and more as I'm part of the management team and on a few things have input into design. What I like to do best is support and training, because I enjoy interacting with our clients, and teaching.
It only takes one (Like Baumann over @ B3D). Especially when that one has the right connections (you plugged into nvidia, Baumann into ATi).

(03-13-2015, 06:23 PM)gstanford Wrote: It only takes one (Like Baumann over @ B3D).  Especially when that one has the right connections (you plugged into nvidia, Baumann into ATi).

Wavey Dave, the man who violated all ethics and read my PMs to expose the Focus Group and serve his ATi masters.

Nonetheless, more respect for that guy than the current crop of teenage dumba$$es.

Wonder if he's survived the quarterly layoffs at AMD?

REALLY glad I picked up some job skills that can make me useful at some software firms. At one point I thought it would be good to "be" Wavey, not so much anymore. No glamor in what I do, but there's a market for it in every country on the planet and a shortage of experience.
Are you able to tell us what you do again, Rollo? I don't want to pressure you; I know over the years you have been very guarded about it.
(03-14-2015, 06:05 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Are you able to tell us what you do again, Rollo?  I don't want to pressure you; I know over the years you have been very guarded about it.

Huh

I posted my job title and what I do in this thread a couple posts above.

(03-13-2015, 06:09 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: Note to Sickbeast who apparently doesn't remember my post of what I do:

I'm a team leader at a software company. I have people who do software conversion, implementation, training, and support on my team. I work on all of these things, and more as I'm part of the management team and on a few things have input into design.  What I like to do best is support and training, because I enjoy interacting with our clients, and teaching.
Thanks Rollo. That sounds like a good job. Good jobs are hard to come by. Are you planning to retire any time soon?
(03-13-2015, 11:28 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:
(03-13-2015, 06:23 PM)gstanford Wrote: It only takes one (Like Baumann over @ B3D).  Especially when that one has the right connections (you plugged into nvidia, Baumann into ATi).

Wavey Dave, the man who violated all ethics and read my PMs to expose the Focus Group and serve his ATi masters.

Nonetheless, more respect for that guy than the current crop of teenage dumba$$es.

Wonder if he's survived the quarterly layoffs at AMD?

REALLY glad I picked up some job skills that can make me useful at some software firms. At one point I thought it would be good to "be" Wavey, not so much anymore. No glamor in what I do, but there's a market for it in every country on the planet and a shortage of experience.

Baumann never had any ethics period. He first popped up on my radar about a year before GeforcefX, PM'd me at nvnews.net over something I had written (can't really remember what now, but think it related to CineFX or something - the PMs are long gone and I didn't think to preserve them back then) stating that he thought I'd be trouble.

I didn't know who he was at that point, or even know much about B3D at that point. I learned rapidly though.

(03-14-2015, 06:39 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Thanks Rollo.  That sounds like a good job.  Good jobs are hard to come by.  Are you planning to retire any time soon?

I've probably got ten years of full time left, but my bases are covered no matter what happens.

(03-14-2015, 06:40 AM)gstanford Wrote: Baumann never had any ethics period.  He first popped up on my radar about a year before GeforcefX, PM'd me at nvnews.net over something I had written (can't really remember what now, but think it related to CineFX or something - the PMs are long gone and I didn't think to preserve them back then) stating that he thought I'd be trouble.

I didn't know who he was at that point, or even know much about B3D at that point.  I learned rapidly though.

You're kidding me?

He targeted you? The Advocates followed me around forum to forum clamoring for my ban for obvious reason, didn't know they went after people who only disagreed with them. (other than arguing anyway)
Actually Rollo I think that you are largely to blame for gstanford being banned from AnandTech. There was basically a witch hunt once you were exposed and Greg was clearly nVidia biased. I think had you not created such a toxic environment in the video forum, Greg would have been fine.
(03-12-2015, 09:01 PM)BjorgenFjords Wrote: I'm not really sure what went on before I was in the group. E.G. the AEG days. I came into the group late into G92 era. About the only thing I remember about Derek Perez was a rumored fight between himself and Charlie Demerjian. What about I don't remember. AFAIK, Nvidia reconsidered that old line of marketing in favor of a more open one. And also full disclosure of the focus group members in forum signatures and so on.

what is this rumored fight?

I need to know why charlie hates nvidia so much. Please tell us............at least something.......anything?

(03-12-2015, 11:37 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: AFAIK Nvidia's "focus groups" have never had more than 6 members. Compare that with the 1000s on AMDs board.

I think that AMD advocate program has backfired as well. Terribly so too. The overly enthusiastic and extreme nature is a turn off. Especially when they team up with crazy talk on stuff like, "people who buy nvidia are mindless sheeple". I mean, saying these things hasnt done anything to put a dent in Apple's fanbase. No body is responding to the claims that everyone who buys nvidia is dumb and that owning a radeon makes you better and smarter. Its just a very dumb tactic. I think it actually pushes neutral people away from AMD, they dont want to be associated with those guys. Its like some cult or something. They are not winning mindshare acting that way.

I was writing that and then the stupid AMD fixer video popped in my head. I am not exactly sure why but now that i think of it, its got this strange vibe as well. It is so hard to watch, especially the last fixer video from AMD. I feel really bad for AMD if they think that is supposed to sway anyone towards AMD GPUs. There is nothing to appreciate about it, its just nasty and distasteful. That video only appeals to their handfuls of die hard fans and will not win them a single new one. It it so bad it probably turned off many people who bought AMD cards as well. But the most insane part is..........
there are people that work for AMD that really believed this was great marketing.

So my last thing i want to address is Rollo feeling responsible for the forums becoming what they have. This is really not what happened. People were not ran off, it is more that the world has changed so much. Forums were born from the old school bulletin boards. Times where people loved being anonymous, kind of a completely different age....
The internet evolves on and on. After myspace, we see this internet new age of social media, blogs, twitter, instagram. In a lot of ways it is radically different. But it is not just that fact that people want to parade around portraits of themselves this day and age. The truth is we have now have generations that grew up on the internet much like we all grew up on the TV. It is just a different internet than it was a decade ago. Vastly different than it was a decade before that. It really is evolving as we speak.

PC technology as we have grown and loved is not appreciated nearly as much by the newer generations. They have all kind of devices and its just not nearly as fascinating to them. You still find signs of the older forums of yesterday but its on stuff like game sites and other random stuff like cars. There are enthusiast that come together still but the appreciation of PC technology has changed so much, this is why our tech forums have changed so much. There arent many real people just chatting about HW anymore, it really appears to be full more of vested advocates arguing with themselves.

I realized with the gtx 970 stink pile that spread across the world, spread to every single PC tech forum there was. I realized that out of the millions of PC gamers there are out there, millions buy GPUs each quarter, but out of these millions and millions..........the number of people active on the tech forums can be counted in the hundreds. There are a pile of them that have many accounts and post from forum to forum. A lot of them have use the same user name from one to the next. But, the massive stink made on all the tech forums, go to nvidias forums and you see the same names and same exact statements flooding in there too. This fuss was made by a very small number of people. Not the thousands and thousands it was made out to be. The truth is, these forums these days have about the smallest impact they ever have had before. This will be proven when nvidia Q1 results come in, profits and market share. The major massive effort in smearing around the entire world, the loudest tone possible and i would wager that it has almost no effect at all on nvidia nor the 970 sales. Even if it was 20,000 people upset and wanting refunds, this wouldnt be a big hit for them to take. But, i am betting its so much smaller even than that. So small it wont have a real impact on them at all. Which is sort of crazy when you see the massive thousands and thousands of pages of hate spread across thousands of forums worldwide.
This is because the forums are not at all representations of the real world anymore. The real people that visit them are few and far between
(03-14-2015, 07:02 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:
(03-14-2015, 06:39 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Thanks Rollo.  That sounds like a good job.  Good jobs are hard to come by.  Are you planning to retire any time soon?

I've probably got ten years of full time left, but my bases are covered no matter what happens.

(03-14-2015, 06:40 AM)gstanford Wrote: Baumann never had any ethics period.  He first popped up on my radar about a year before GeforcefX, PM'd me at nvnews.net over something I had written (can't really remember what now, but think it related to CineFX or something - the PMs are long gone and I didn't think to preserve them back then) stating that he thought I'd be trouble.

I didn't know who he was at that point, or even know much about B3D at that point.  I learned rapidly though.

You're kidding me?

He targeted you? The Advocates followed me around forum to forum clamoring for my ban for obvious reason, didn't know they went after people who only disagreed with them. (other than arguing anyway)
Him and another user called "BiggusDickus" and one other, can't remember the user handle - they were all from B3D.

I did love to bash R200 back in the day (only because ATi shills were everywhere on forums talking it up and geforce down), probably what made them notice me.

Another great post by ocre. Dude you are turning into the "voice of reason" on the forums.

Agreed that I'm not the sole, or main cause, for the demise of the forums. (or Greg getting banned at AT)

My regret is for my part in the abomination the AMD Advocate Group has become.

You are right, means of communication move on, and another big factor is those of us who used to populate the gaming bulletin boards and forums are just getting older and dropping out of gaming. I game less now than I ever have, spend my disposable on my son, boats, pickups, fishing and hunting gear and trips.
I never said the part about my getting banned, SickBeast did. I know how I got banned and by whom.

(03-14-2015, 06:27 PM)gstanford Wrote: I never said the part about my getting banned, SickBeast did.  I know how I got banned and by whom.

As it turns out, being banned there is not such a bad deal.

"Wah! He didn't kiss AMDs ass! Ban him"

"Wah! Wah! The PR man at AMD says he's not posting items that are pro AMD and he must go, ban him!"

"Wah! I need a $200 video card because I make $8/hour at Subway and gas is $4 a gallon! Ban him!"

That place is the new AMDZone.
Yep, I've never asked for my ban to be overturned, never tried to start a fresh account, they can take their forums and jam them.... somewhere.

I occasionally have a quick look in there as an unregistered guess to see how the asylum is coping against the onslaught of the inmates.

(03-14-2015, 07:43 PM)gstanford Wrote: Yep, I've never asked for my ban to be overturned, never tried to start a fresh account, they can take their forums and jam them.... somewhere.

I occasionally have a quick look in there as an unregistered guess to see how the asylum is coping against the onslaught of the inmates.

Same here, it's pretty sad.

Digital Wanderer, Russian Sensation, rest of the Advocate PR posse are most of the posts.

"Should Nvidia be made to pay for the travesty of 10% of the VRAM on the 970 having slower access?!"

"Let's keep the 390X rumors going and try to keep up interest in the brand that pays us!"

"Nvidia is just too expensive!"

"Nvidia is screwing us with throttling based on temps!"

Lather, rinse, repeat.
I probably came close to getting banned at AT. I publicly called out Perknose recently. I thought they would ban me for it but I only got a vacation. Him and Esquared are horrible mods.
(03-14-2015, 12:37 PM)ocre Wrote: what is this rumored fight?  

I need to know why charlie hates nvidia so much.  Please tell us............at least something.......anything?

It was a HOAX a long time ago.

Here is a link and you can follow the trail from there.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/show...terally%29
Rumor has it Charlie broke NDA with Nvidia and/or intel back in the day, and as left with only AMD for review parts.

I do not know if this is true or not, or recall where I heard it.

One thing was for sure for a while- AMD related ads seemed to be Charlie's main source of revenue.

If he's still in business, this is an awkward place to be. How do you do a PR review for AMD these days?

"AMD releases 8370 and destroys inferior intel Core 2 Duo alternatives!"?
(03-15-2015, 10:36 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: One thing was for sure for a while- AMD related ads seemed to be Charlie's main source of revenue.

If he's still in business, this is an awkward place to be.

He's trying to stay afloat by hiding his articles behind a paywall. Big Grin

(03-16-2015, 09:27 AM)gstanford Wrote:
(03-15-2015, 10:36 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: One thing was for sure for a while- AMD related ads seemed to be Charlie's main source of revenue.

If he's still in business, this is an awkward place to be.

He's trying to stay afloat by hiding his articles behind a paywall.  Big Grin

Who would pay to read that misguided doofus?
Not many I suspect. I'm surprised the paywall has stayed up as long as it has actually, but eventually it will do enough financial damage to his site that he will have to take it down.

Thise whole Gamergate bru-ha-ha has made me realized - this corporations don't need to pay people to viral market.

Their audience will viral market. Set up their loyalties for whatever reason and drive the message home.

What I mean is, reading both sides of the arguments for GamerGate - watching how both sides are convinced they are right, and not willing to budge an inch is costing moderates/neutrals everything.

I see that same level of toxicity over CPUs/GPUs on forums (minus the threats, however I'm sure in a moderate free zone - they'd exist.)

Reminds me of that article along the lines of "the psychology of a fanboy" or whatever it was.

NV/AMD/Intel/etc's Viral marketing doesn't have to be stealth. They are openly engaging their audience through social medias and letting them be the viral.
(03-15-2015, 12:57 AM)SickBeast Wrote: I probably came close to getting banned at AT. I publicly called out Perknose recently. I thought they would ban me for it but I only got a vacation. Him and Esquared are horrible mods.

They banned me in January. I was the one getting slandered by the lowlife liars and losers in P&N in the gas thread and they ban me.

They did me a favor, they don't deserve any of my time there.
(03-17-2015, 09:57 AM)railven Wrote: Thise whole Gamergate bru-ha-ha has made me realized - this corporations don't need to pay people to viral market.

Their audience will viral market. Set up their loyalties for whatever reason and drive the message home.

What I mean is, reading both sides of the arguments for GamerGate - watching how both sides are convinced they are right, and not willing to budge an inch is costing moderates/neutrals everything.

I see that same level of toxicity over CPUs/GPUs on forums (minus the threats, however I'm sure in a moderate free zone - they'd exist.)

Reminds me of that article along the lines of "the psychology of a fanboy" or whatever it was.

NV/AMD/Intel/etc's Viral marketing doesn't have to be stealth. They are openly engaging their audience through social medias and letting them be the viral.

Please, please.... Do not ever say brou-ha-ha again. For the love of all that's good in the universe.
Alternatives include:
agitation
babel
blare
bustle
buzz
clinker
complaint
convulsion
din
discord
exclamation
ferment
hassle
hubbub
lament
noise
outcry
pandemonium
protesting
racket
remonstrance
row
ruckus
shout
shouting
to-do
tumult
turmoil
upheaval
uproar
vociferation

Big Grin

On topic, I agree with everything you said. There are Uber fans on all sides who wont budge. But, there are plenty of advocates to go around. That is certain. Forums are flooded with them day and night.
There are enough they should have their own AA, Advocates Anonymous.

"My name is Russian Sensation, I am an advocate...."

"Welcome Russian Sensation!"

"It started out slow, just taking a free game here and there. At the end I was earning 5 video cards a day, and I only have two computers!"
(03-17-2015, 03:34 PM)BjorgenFjords Wrote:
(03-17-2015, 09:57 AM)railven Wrote: Thise whole Gamergate bru-ha-ha has made me realized - this corporations don't need to pay people to viral market.

Please, please.... Do not ever say brou-ha-ha again. For the love of all that's good in the universe.
Alternatives include:
agitation
babel
blare
bustle
buzz
clinker
complaint
convulsion
din
discord
exclamation
ferment
hassle
hubbub
lament
noise
outcry
pandemonium
protesting
racket
remonstrance
row
ruckus
shout
shouting
to-do
tumult
turmoil
upheaval
uproar
vociferation

Big Grin

On topic, I agree with everything you said. There are Uber fans on all sides who wont budge. But, there are plenty of advocates to go around. That is certain. Forums are flooded with them day and night.

Haha, noted. I noticed a certain someone at ATF made a snide remark along the lines of "flavor of the month" to what way I swing.

Of course it's a "flavor of the month!" I don't owe either company any loyalty and dollar would go to the company that best satisfies my needs. Just using GCN as a batting average, AMD is like 0.5/5 and I only give them 0.5 because I credit Mantle for MSFT getting off their lazy asses. But with that batting average, I'm suppose to "believe!" R9 390X is gonna hit it out of the park? Make me eat some crow!

So I'm left with:

Can't win there.

I will say this:

It wasn't just shills for any Company that killed the "Big Forums". It's also just part of the evolution of Technology itself.

The days of having to eek out just a few more CPU or GPU cycles is not completely dead but certainly much less of any significance compared to trying to run Wolfenstein on a 386SX at 12 MHZ Vs the turbo button at 16 MHZ to try and get the characters to move more lifelike than a flipping a page of paper stop and start action.
(03-19-2015, 10:30 PM)dmcowen674 Wrote: It wasn't just shills for any Company that killed the "Big Forums". It's also just part of the evolution of Technology itself.

The days of having to eek out just a few more CPU or GPU cycles is not completely dead but certainly much less of any significance compared to trying to run Wolfenstein on a 386SX at 12 MHZ Vs the turbo button at 16 MHZ to try and get the characters to move more lifelike than a flipping a page of paper stop and start action.

This seems very plausible. Pretty much any CPU or GPU can run the console based games, because consoles are pretty feeble PCs.

Also young people are quick to move from one app/medium to another for their communication. Not like the old days of "Holy sh*t! I'm on the internet and can actually post things others may read!" we did this on.

When Mark told me this site was going to be bigger than Google (because it's metaphysical)I told him he was at least 5 years too late to make a big splash doing this.

If you think about it, has ANY tech review site done anything but fade since ABT was launched? I said it then, I'll repeat it now, "We're scavenging the bones of a dead medium.". PC gaming is alive and well as long as hardware firms keep prices reasonable but the review sites and forums are the ham radios of this decade. Yes, some guys still use them, but it's getting rare.

For Mark, getting some free video cards and hotel rooms is probably "success". So he may not have won our bet, but in my opinion he got what he needed out of it. A hobby for his retirement.