Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star Citizen Will Be 100 GB
http://techreport.com/news/27953/star-ci...n-at-100gb
Patches could be up to 20 GB each. At this rate of game size expansion, hard drives still have a future, and SSDs had better drop in price and increase in capacity even further.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
It's great that games are getting this big. It means that they are massive with huge and detailed textures. I have no issue with it. My games are on a 3tb hard drive. Down the line I'm going to set up SSD caching for it. That's the ideal solution for gamers IMO. Most people are going to need at least a 1tb drive for their games. SSDs are coming down though. I've seen the 1tb SSDs going for as low as $350USD. It's tempting.
I know, it's tempting, but at this rate people will need more SSDs if they want to enjoy faster loading times on their games. For that, price has to come down, and capacity has to go up.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
(03-13-2015, 06:57 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote: I know, it's tempting, but at this rate people will need more SSDs if they want to enjoy faster loading times on their games.  For that, price has to come down, and capacity has to go up.

It's going to take a long time for SSDs to overtake HDDs in terms of capacity per dollar. The caching works really well apparently. I wish I could do it with my Pentium.