Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capt Jack and the China Syndrome
We should start a pool as to whether Capt Jack is going to be the next FX-9590:

Hot, more than power hungry, horribly inefficient, destined for deep discount.

Although it's only been 16 months, it feels like a long, long time since the 290X launched. Early rumors pointed to 390X being water cooled for reference, a portent of meltdowns to come?

In a way, I'd kind of like to build a FX-9590/390X rig just in defiance of all that is reasonable and sane.
It could be great, who knows. I have given up reading AMD rumors. They are a waste of time. Ever since Bulldozer I have not believed anything that AMD PR says.
390X won't be hot. A 120x38mm CLC kept 650W cool with the R9 295X2. It'll be discounted in line with AMD's recent behavior. Dunno about anything else.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
I think water cooling just makes sense with modern high end GPUs. It just works much better with less fan noise.
Captain Jack..... most hilarious code name ever! The only one more fitting for AMD would be Captain Fap!

[Image: spank-2.gif]
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
Eww...
Hahaha

gstan, that gif is soo funny

I think all the recent leaks of the fiji are bogus. Either it is made up by some extreme fan with too much time on their hands or it may be a strategic ploy in the same old tactics: when you can compete, obstruct.

I just do not feel like the leaks are real. Not saying it wont be faster than the titan X. But we wont really know the answer to that for several months from now.
That gif should be RussianSensation's avatar over at VC&G. He could share it with Creig and a few others......

Whatever happened to Ackmed by the way? Did he come back under a different username. He just left the forums (a fair while back now) and hasn't been seen since. He was another ATi shill.

(03-14-2015, 12:26 PM)ocre Wrote: Hahaha

gstan, that gif is soo funny

I think all the recent leaks of the fiji are bogus.  Either it is made up by some extreme fan with too much time on their hands or it may be a strategic ploy in the same old tactics: when you can compete, obstruct.  

I just do not feel like the leaks are real.  Not saying it wont be faster than the titan X.  But we wont really know the answer to that for several months from now.

about the new AMD chip, I don't know. It could turn up in April, plenty of GPU's have in the past, I don't know enough to say. But AMD indicates 2nd half to investors so I tend to believe that. A stealth early appearance wouldn't surprise though if they were able to pull such a move off.

Frankly I think it is more to try and make people waiting for Titan X wait a little longer.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(03-14-2015, 02:17 PM)gstanford Wrote: That gif should be RussianSensation's avatar over at VC&G.  He could share it with Creig and a few others......

Whatever happened to Ackmed by the way?  Did he come back under a different username.  He just left the forums (a fair while back now) and hasn't been seen since.  He was another ATi shill.

Ackmed was a family man from TN who was in the military. He was deployed to Iraq, and basically stopped posting.

My guess is when you start killing people and having people shoot at you, things like "AMD has 3% cleaner AF in game X" or "Nvidia's AA blurs 35 degree angled lines in game Y" become very, very trivial.

Much as I detested Ackmed back then, I hope he made it back to his family OK. :(

Ackmed once complained to Kyle at H that I was disparaging his mountain roots when I posted that ATi's CF dongle looked like something from a hillbilly HS science fair. I was genuinely shocked, as I had no idea he was from rural mountain folk and was not thinking of him at all when I posted it, just rustic farm workarounds.

Creig was one weird, weird critter. He seemed to genuinely hate me and want to do me physical harm, which made me want to push his buttons all the more. I think I drove Creig to be an Advocate. He couldn't afford the parts he wanted and really hated losing the arguments to me, so he turned to the PR friends at AMD for help.
Creig has always been a delightful charmer and he spreads his pearls of wisdom on VC&G to this very day. One of my favorites. A fine piece of work, that one.

BTW- It's GOT to blow goats being an Advocate these days.

AMD PR Master: "The idea we need spread now is two fold: 1. AMD GPUs are a darn good value for the money, and still a good investment even though they have been out a year and a half. 2. You can bet we have big stuff coming, but it's going to take a while for us to get it just right. We'll do our part by leaking things like the fan shroud to the online press to keep the idea our parts are coming soon in people's minds. You need to do your part by insinuating whatever Nvidia launches, what AMD has coming is probably better. Cast doubt as we have no product."

Zombie Horde in unison: "Yes Master. We hear and obey.

AMD PR Master: "Great! Now who wants a copy of Battlefield Hardline and some new AMD re-branded RAM?"

Zombie Horde: "Ooooook ook OOOK OOOK!"
The fact they have to be bribed with rewards to post something about AMD is pitifully sad to me.

nvidia has never given me anything whatsoever for any forum post I have ever made, and I wouldn't have it any other way. If they somehow did manage to send me something I'd send it right back.

I'm the master of my own voice, I don't trumpet other peoples PR and FUD for them.

I have never been approached by anyone to become a shill. I did have people accusing me of being an ATi shill back in the day, though. At that time ATi clearly had superior products. I simply pointed out that fact and they didn't like it. Too bad for them I guess.
I'm personally hoping Captain Jack (honestly haven't heard that name before, but I'm reading everything on this card as if it were gospel) delivers, if enough to bring NV back to rational prices.

I personally want a water cooler, I don't trust my plumbing skills enough to go custom, so AIO is alright with me. Heck, I was almost gonna by the recently announced Corsair bracket to put on my 780 and use my shelved H50, but I'd need a stock cooler which I don't have :/
(03-14-2015, 05:34 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: In a way, I'd kind of like to build a FX-9590/390X rig just in defiance of all that is reasonable and sane.

You needn't bother -- I am sure plenty of AMD shills will do precisely that, but they won't be spending their own coin to do so.......

I think that the more important launch for AMD is going to be their next CPU design after Excavator. The total redesign. AMD's GPU division, while not doing great, is still somewhat competing with nVidia. Their CPU division is dead in the water though. They need Captain Jack and their new CPU to both be great otherwise I foresee some very bad times ahead for them.
(03-14-2015, 07:45 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:
(03-14-2015, 02:17 PM)gstanford Wrote: That gif should be RussianSensation's avatar over at VC&G.  He could share it with Creig and a few others......

Whatever happened to Ackmed by the way?  Did he come back under a different username.  He just left the forums (a fair while back now) and hasn't been seen since.  He was another ATi shill.

Ackmed was a family man from TN who was in the military. He was deployed to Iraq, and basically stopped posting.

My guess is when you start killing people and having people shoot at you, things like "AMD has 3% cleaner AF in game X" or "Nvidia's AA blurs 35 degree angled lines in game Y" become very, very trivial.

Much as I detested Ackmed back then, I hope he made it back to his family OK.  :(

Ackmed once complained to Kyle at H that I was disparaging his mountain roots when I posted that ATi's CF dongle looked like something from a hillbilly HS science fair. I was genuinely shocked, as I had no idea he was from rural mountain folk and was not thinking of him at all when I posted it, just rustic farm workarounds.

Creig was one weird, weird critter. He seemed to genuinely hate me and want to do me physical harm, which made me want to push his buttons all the more. I think I drove Creig to be an Advocate. He couldn't afford the parts he wanted and really hated losing the arguments to me, so he turned to the PR friends at AMD for help.

Apparently Ackmed is back in the USA if he did military duty and now has a young son. He and the son like to console game. I saw a post of his in the AT console forum a couple of days back.

When you think back on it, it starts to sound like most of AMD's forum warriors were young men who simply couldn't afford intel/nvidia. Back then AMD was much cheaper and better value. Times have since changed and of course as they age they start to earn more and a lot of them who aren't die hard supporters will simply abandon AMD over time. AMD really only has a few "true" supporters and most of those would be like Dave Baumann - financially propped up by AMD (he is back at B3D now).

(02-29-2016, 07:18 PM)gstanford Wrote:
(03-14-2015, 07:45 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:

Much as I detested Ackmed back then, I hope he made it back to his family OK.  :(

Apparently Ackmed is back in the USA if he did military duty and now has a young son.  He and the son like to console game.  I saw a post of his in the AT console forum a couple of days back.

When you think back on it, it starts to sound like most of AMD's forum warriors were young men who simply couldn't afford intel/nvidia.  Back then AMD was much cheaper and better value.   Times have since changed and of course as they age they start to earn more and a lot of them who aren't die hard supporters will simply abandon AMD over time.  AMD really only has a few "true" supporters and most of those would be like Dave Baumann - financially propped up by AMD (he is back at B3D now).

Ackmed and Creig were definitely Advocates, Creig probably still is.

I'm not exactly proud of me dealings with either of them, and hope they and their families are well and prosperous.
Why dignify the term with something like "Advocate"?! They are/were shills, plain and simple. They hand out their "opinions" in return for AMD payola.