Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unknown Italian website says "390X done"
To the delight of AMD Advocates everywhere, unknown Italian website "Bits and Chips" (not to be confused with the much more popular "fish and chips") told the world that "AMD has the 390X done, but is just waiting until it develops the perfect driver to release it."

(Bits and Chips web ranking 625,948 world wide, and 19098 of 19099 in Italy)

"This is concrete proof AMD is the WORLD LEADER in GPU technology!"
-Creig

"AMD has once again proven their ultimate mastery of the GPU domain!"
-Cloudfire777

"AMD has clearly (blah, blah, blah for 5 paragraphs that boils down to "Me wuv AMD!") and in conclusion, Nvidia can suck it."
-Russian Sensation

"AMD has ALWAYS had the premier drivers in gaming, I see this as a continuation of that proud legacy".
-SlowSpyder

There you have it. They're done, just trying to be ultra careful to give, the gamers, the best darn experience money can buy.

Sick

So we're supposed to believe they've been working on this thing over two years, and the drivers aren't done yet?

Bullsh*t.

More plausible theories:

1. Need more sell through on 290 gen as market share has dropped to 20% and they can't afford to take a bath on inventory already selling at razor thin margins.
2. Had to cook another revision, too many failed chips in the batch they had hoped to launch.

The usual AMD shenanigans are going on, "Zen is coming!" and "390X reflection seen in mirror behind Richard Huddy, parts coming soon!".

AMD has nothing to sell so they have to keep their name in play any cheesy way they can.

I mock it, but I'd probably do it in their place. Without product- stall.
They need a straw to grasp.

Problem is the straw long has since rotted into compost. So they desperately clutch onto anything at all that floats their way.

Sad really, the professional way of doing these things is the way nvidia went about developing/releasing g80. Barely a word spoken outside of professional events and went off like a hydrogen bomb upon release.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(03-21-2015, 08:39 AM)gstanford Wrote: They need a straw to grasp.

Problem is the straw long has since rotted into compost.  So they desperately clutch onto anything at all that floats their way.

Sad really, the professional way of doing these things is the way nvidia went about developing/releasing g80.  Barely a word spoken outside of professional events and went off like a hydrogen bomb upon release.

Probably no H bomb forthcoming from AMD, unless you mean the devastation when the AMD faithful see they've been waiting for FX-9590 Part Deux.

WarSam: PLENTY of good reasons to buy the 390! We've got water cooling and a Mantle version Duke Nuke'm Forever free with every card! Get out there and sell some cards team!

Creig: But...but...master.....Nvidia has the new 980Ti beating us in every benchmark without water cooling and people don't play Duke Nuke'm anymore!

Russian Sensation: Blah blah blah.....blah blah....blah.........blah...AMD........Blah blah.......good....blahblahblah........wall of text you would only read if you were paid to like WarSam.......blah blah......

5 other Advocates: NICE POST Russian! P3wnd!
These crazy performance hype they are building up is dangerous. Now they are claiming that the performance is way better than the slides AMD leaked showing +65% over a 290x (aftermarket overclocked edition cause they told me it couldnt be reference). Way faster than 165% am aftermarket 290x????

The specs for a full fiji is 145% the cores of hawaii. I think expecting 100% scaling with just the core count increase is pushing it. I mean, it could be that fast and i am not saying it wont. But setting your expectations higher than 199% when the specs are merely 145% of hawaii..................

that is a huge mistake. These expectations are way way too high. If this is some sort of plan to hold off maxwell adoption, by whatever means. It is one of the most dangerous ways I can think of.

As for why fiji isnt here, it is really really simple. Respins.
A big concern of mine is if they are really going with glofo for the silicon. It just seems that TSMC would have a much more mature process. Glofo might actually end up with better grade chips. idk. But i can say that it is something i am interested in for sure.

And for the record, I actually want to see a very strong and great 390x. I would much rather see it best the titan X in every metric than for it to be a dud. I really hope the entire 300 series is really really strong. But i am afraid these expectations are getting really really out of control now.
You don't understand the ramifications of the HBM Ocre.

We all know that the 512bit GDDR5 with 320 GB/sec throughput was what was holding back Hawaii, so Fiji will be 10X faster with 10X faster memory......

RolloTheGreat prediction:

AMD will find some game where having much faster memory actually will matter to some extent.

This will be followed by 3,000,0000 posts of "I'll be buying the 390X because the high res texture packs of "Nemos Undersea Adventures" can really make use of the HBM! When the shark chases Nemo through the coral reef, there's a spot where it hitches with a Titan. Nemo HAS to be lifelike for me!".

People forget (intentionally or not) that memory bandwidth doesn't matter at all if what you have can feed the GPU as much as it can process.