Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Rumors of Samsung Buying AMD
More Samsung buying AMD rumors have arrived: http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/20206...uld-happen
Speculation by ExtremeTech is that Samsung buying AMD could be really beneficial.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
There are people ready to dance in the street with excitement, they think it is the greatest thing that could ever happen to AMD.

I think it wouldn't turn out anything like they expect. There are some big problems with this. Samsung would only be interested in IP they can use, nothing else. People seem to think that Samsung would somehow buy AMD and say, "here you go guys, here is the check book, do whatever you please with all our money"

Samsung absolutely would not give them a blank check and allow them to continue running their failed business the way they have been running it. That is the last thing in the world to expect. AMD has been grossly mismanaged, Samsung will have no interest throwing money down the same pit AMD has been throwing it into. Samsung will not let AMD suck the life out of them after they wrecked their own company. There is zero chance that this would ever play out like that.

The most likely outcome is AMD will be completely gutted. Would Samsung care at all about a CPU segment that is nowhere near profitable? Would they care about discrete GPUs? I know a lot of people think AMD GPU division is doing well, but it really is barely profitable. It is not even chump change to a company like Samsung. It is not even a drop in their bucket. It is completely insignificant.

I just don't see Samsung caring about that much at all. Actually, Samsung would only buy AMD for their IP. They would buy them for Samsung, not to be AMDs savior. More like AMDs undertaker.

In the make believe version where Samsung says, "hey AMD, here is our bank card, do whatever you like with it." It would take years before that money had an effect on their products. Chips aren't invented overnight. They come from years and years of hard work. Investments and new money pumped in wouldn't be immediately seen in their products. So then, we must ask why. Why would Samsung dump money into developing chips for markets they really don't care about? Dumping money into the same areas AMD failed to become a profitable company in. Dumping piles of cash into areas that aren't directly beneficial to what Samsung is today.

They didn't become wealthy by being stupid. Samsung will not buy AMD without a plan. They will not dump cash into R&D for markets they don't care about. They will not waste anytime going in all different directions. If Samsung buys AMD, it will be a move to make Samsung better. They will put all development into merging AMD IP with Samsung chips. There is no reason for them to do anything else, they will not care about making x86 CPUs. They will not care about a dgpu segment that barely makes a million or two here and there. I just don't see this as anything any PC fan would want.

Its not what we should want to see. I think it is really bad for AMD now. No one will want to throw money away following the same path AMD has been on for so long now. It is just crazy.
I just think that now that computing has divided up, its put AMD in a bad position. Now we have x86, arm, android, IOS. Computing has spread out all over and there is not a lot of room for a second rate x86 CPU maker. The world has changed so much and AMD fell off somewhere.

I just don't see anyone who would want to buy AMD and be like, "yeah, this is great. lets keep doing what you have been doing over and over. I got a lot of cash. Its only a few billion in losses every year. Lets just keep doing this, its awesome".

See, we keep hearing about how awesome AMDs next apu will be. But skylake is just around the corner. Intel is not standing still. They are moving faster even. How will this ever change? AMD will never catch intel.....and with all these outlets for computing, how much do we need a second rate x86 CPU maker?
Yep. AMD will end up just like 3dfx. Nothing more than a pile of IP in another companies warchest.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
I agree with Ocre, but I'm surprised he left out the most important detail.

AFAIK, AMDs x86 license is non transferrable. So if Samsung is buying AMD it's for the ATi IP, not to compete in the CPU market.

Samsung is a bigger company than intel, my guess is intel would never allow the x86 transfer.

ATi IP is probably worth the tiny AMD acquisition price to Samsung. It is pretty laughable to think "Oh yeah, with Samsung behind them, FailDozer Pt 3 will be the biggest, hottest, computer "hemi" on da planet! 6GHz with a stock peltier included! This time AMD will match the 2500K for sure!"
I didnt really leave it out, I just didnt bring it up directly. This is included in "markets they dont care about". So much so, it is not even worth bringing up at all. See, for me it is clear as day that Samsung would want nothing to do with AMDs x86 license. I mean, even if it was transferable (which is absolutely not ever gonna happen).

Why would a hugely successful and capable company want anything to do with that hopeless cesspool? This has nothing to do with AMD making worse CPUs than Intel, it has to do with wanting to step into an ever shrinking arena with a 50,000 ton UFC/MMA elephant. Samsung has absolutely no reason to throw billions down a black hole. Samsung knows what they are doing. They know how things work. People think that intel dominates only because their HW performance better but there is so much more than that. It is years and years of building up your business and relations. Intel has a very secure and grounded footing in the x86 market. See, people want to see AMD come back. They want to see AMD be able to match or beat Intel CPUs. But Samsung knows the reality. That even if they came out with a faster and more efficient x86 CPU tomorrow, it would take many many years to claw back market share. It would take years to build up relations and partnerships. The truth is, there is nothing for samsung to gain throwing money into AMDs x86 comeback. This market is not worth their time. It simply is not.

A CPU is much more than an instruction set. AMD has valuable IP even if their x86 CPUs arent compeditive with intel. Their IP portfolio is not just interesting from a GPU perspective. Their is so much that samsung might find useful. But whatever interest samsung may have with AMD will only be 100% self serving.

One random and crazy thing i thought about......and i cant believe that somewhere subconsciously my brain even allows me to fancy that such an acquisition would ever happen. But this stupid thought came to my head, what about the Nvidia IP lawsuit. See, we know Intel has blocked any x86 license transfer but Nvidia........

First, we have to realize that Nvidia and ATI/AMD have to have some sort of agreements. You cannot make a modern GPU without infringement upon Nvidia patents, according to nvidia. Really there is no way around it. Nvidia and AMD have to have some kind of cross licensing. There is really no question.

But AMD bought ATI, there was nothing stopping them from continuing on and doing whatever they please with the IP. Intel seems to have blocked out an x86 license transfer but clearly AMD got everything when they bought ATI.
So, it only seems logical that Samsung would have the same luxury if they bought AMD.

So what is it that Samsung could gain?
1) A large amount of scientist and engineers at their disposal
2) large portfolio of processor IP for their CPUs. A treasure trove of technology. from Hyper transport to fusion to their module designs -very generic and general terms but the actual patents and technology would be massive just on the CPU side
3) almost priceless GPU technology.

That is just scratching the surface. But all three of those would be 100% serving to Samsung in what they are currently doing today. They will not buy AMD and throw money into the nonprofitable existence AMD has been living in. Those reasons are for the betterment of Samsung, and that is all it will be.

But if they can buy AMD and completely kill nvidia's licensing demands. If Samsung owned AMD graphics, It would make it much harder on nvidia and their lawsuit ambitions. This, is the most fun thing for me to think about. No matter how irrational it may be. But, what if shoving their middle finger down nvidia's throat was just the icing on the cake for Samsung? Now that would be hilarious.

I know that if AMD decides to sell to Samsung, they are just trying to fatten their wallets and have decided that the fight is over. It would be all clear to them than Samsung isnt buying them to give them a leg up, like their fans dream up somehow. If AMD sells, they are essentially tapping out.
Why does Samsung need AMD CPU tech? They're a market leader in the markets they serve:

http://wccftech.com/snapdragon-810-exyno...enchmarks/

I'm envisioning AMD technology in a cell phone, and the phones coming with a water cooler in a fanny pack.

"Samsung Galaxy S7 Bulldozer- Every bit as fast as the Galaxy S3, with 38X the heat to keep your junk warm on winter days!"

I get that ATi IP might benefit them, if just for the cross licensing. AMD CPU tech has "got" to be pretty worthless in todays world.

Like you say, even when AMD had much better chips, their business relations only allowed them to get to a 25% market share. Samsung is not going to start selling Faildozer laptops and desktops .
They dont need AMD CPU technology. But there might be some IP they can find useful. Just because their bulldozer turned out to be a dud, doesnt mean every CPU patent they have is worthless.

But to be clear, absolutely clear, Samsung doesnt need AMD CPU tech. That is not what would be their first attraction.

We all know what Samsung would mainly be interested in, if this is true at all.

Their CPU IP would very low on the list. I wouldnt say that there is nothing Samsung could use though
Have you guys seen the reviews of the performance of Samsungs new CPU in the Galaxy S6? It's unbelieveable. It's twice as powerful as the Snapdragon 801 in my phone.

Samsung has no need for AMD's technology. They are clearly doing just fine on their own. I wouldn't be surprised if that CPU is more powerful than the i3s found in most laptops.

I'm agreeing with Ocre basically.

I just don't see the point of this acquisition. It's probably just click baiting by the website that made up this rumor.
If you want my opinion both CPU and GPU IP would be extremely low on Samsung's list. They would be more likely to acquire AMD for the flash memory IP than anything else given that Samsung is a major flash memory manufacturer and the IP would be valuable in their warchest in case of challenges.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(03-29-2015, 05:29 AM)gstanford Wrote: If you want my opinion both CPU and GPU IP would be extremely low on Samsung's list.  They would be more likely to acquire AMD for the flash memory IP than anything else given that Samsung is a major flash memory manufacturer and the IP would be valuable in their warchest in case of challenges.

Samsung knows what they are doing.

AMD has been secretly working on a cell phone, and are about to take over that market. Behold the AMD FX-9999:

video is great!!!!

I love that kids portable word processor

He is at the park and doing his homework. Now that is the future I want to live in....

A man can dream
Ocre,
When AMD brings that revolutionary mobile phone tech to market, whoever is holding the patents inherits the technology kingdom.

I can't say for sure, but it's rumored the pack is half Lithium Ion battery (67,284 MaH) and half enclosed water cooling loop for the next gen BallDozer processing unit in the phone.

The screen is a forward thinking 640 X 480 resolution sporting 3ppi of grey scale glory.

Pundits are theorizing those who buy these will keep them as long as 7 years, while AMD works on the next generation.
I heard that the phone BallDozer doesnt even need water cooling, they are gots it cause how forward thinking AMD is. Any phone without watercooling will be left behind
(03-30-2015, 03:01 AM)ocre Wrote: I heard that the phone BallDozer doesnt even need water cooling, they are gots it cause how forward thinking AMD is.  Any phone without watercooling will be left behind

It's shocking how AMD just keeps p3wning every market they enter.

A Chinese site got one of these phones from their spies, and it's supposed to be 3G.(!)

WTF?! AMD wins again, first to market with 3G data. I don't know why the other companies even try.