Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to enable MFAA for older games
As you should know, Maxwell 2nd gen GPU's (GTX 960, 970, 980, Titan X so far) have a new AA mode known as MFAA.

nvidia is currently in the process of rolling out MFAA support in the drivers. Currently, only popular recent DX11/DX10 titles have received official driver support for MFAA.

You can see the official supported games list in the link below.
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/mfaa/games

I've been having a fiddle around with nvidia inspector and I've identified how to (unofficially) enable MFAA mode for a profile. I can't guarantee this will work for you and whatever game you are trying to apply it to, but, it does work for Skyrim (and should in theory also work for other Bethesda ES/Fallout games).

[Image: MFAAcontrol.jpg]

The game looks exquisite at 1920x1080, 2x MSAA + MFAA, 4x DSR (10% guassian) and runs extremely well.

Not seeing any temporal blur, even in the thick of giant bandit/dragon battles.

I'm using forceware 347.88 here, no guarantee it will work on other versions (though it might, you will have to try).

The beauty of MFAA is if 4x or 8x MSAA is too slow you can get almost the same IQ at a higher framerate with MFAA. The other benefit is less GPU RAM consumed due to less samples, so if you are a 970 owner and somehow find yourself up against the ram limit with 4x MSAA, drop back to 2x MSAA and enable MFAA (or 8x MSAA, drop back to 4x MSAA and enable MFAA).
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
Hey, thanks
Just a quick note: as of the latest official WHQL drivers you can enable MFAA globally or in individual profiles without needing to use nvidia inspector.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
Yeah, its been enabled globally for me. I thought i was running MSAA 2x +TXAA in gta5 but i was actually running MSAA 2x + MFAA + TXAA