Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some More Anti-4K TV FUD, Courtesy of DSLReports
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/133032
Karl Bode must be really asshurt that his TV isn't cutting edge any more.
Quote:For example, many 4KTV vendors are shipping sets that claim to have fully HDMI 2.0 compliant ports, yet the actual ports are only "HDMI lite" -- only capable of 10 Gbps of the full 18 Gbps the standard is supposed to deliver.
FUD, those are HDMI 1.4 ports, which are provided in addition to the HDMI 2.0 ports, which are clearly marked as such.
Quote:As such these sets are being advertised as absolute cutting edge and future proof, but they can't actually deliver full full 4k 4:4:4 chroma at 60p. Worse, many of the biggest manufacturers can't be bothered to advertise this fact.
FUD, no TV today can deliver this, with the possible exception of OLED.
Quote:Similarly, while Netflix has stated that High Dynamic Range (HDR) may actually be more important than 4K, the standard -- which provides brighter and more varied color -- has yet to see a coherent unified definition, yet implementation in most 4K sets.
What an ungrammatical mess.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
steel,
do you have 4K? PC or TV?
Nope, neither. I just thought the FUD was over.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
Yawn. Wake me when I don't have to search for streamed content.
I must say that using DSR to enable 4K resolutions makes for a very nice display - to the point where I don't miss my 2560x1600 monitor at all.

Of course the fact that DSR works so well (and it works brilliantly for me) means that I don't need to purchase a 4K TV anytime soon when my 1080p TV gives me an effective 4K result through DSR.

The above applies to gaming of course, but I'd never use a 4K monitor at native resolution for desktop/productivity work anyway, the windows UI would send me blind trying to read the microscopic text. Maybe when M$ actually figures out how to fix the windows display scaling mess (for everything, not just future apps).
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
DSR seems to have an AA effect. I love the results but i am not sure that 4k is anything like the downsampling effect from DSR.
Maybe 4K doesn't look anything like the downsampling effect from DSR. Doesn't particularly worry me. Still looks a lot better than just plain 1080p, without needing to replace anything.

I never use DSR just by itself for antialiasing though, always in combination with 2x or 4x MSAA + MFAA (if supported) depending on the game. Plus a negative texture LOD of -0.875 if possible.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
likewise

you just need a tad of AA with DSR

As for 4K.
I guess it will depend on the monitor. I have seen 4K in action, it was pretty good. But the people who say you dont need AA with 4K are flat wrong. Depending on the pixel density, the improvement varies. But it doesnt cure aliasing. Not hardly