Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Valve Anti-Spam Measure Will Kill Physical Distribution
http://www.neowin.net/news/you-want-frie...to-spend-5
The anti-spam measure seems all right, except for the people with no Steam account who got a physical game that requires Steam to activate. They have to spend at least $5 more. Of course, nearly everone in the comments is sucking Valve's dick.
Quote:Interestingly, receiving games as gifts or registering product codes on the platform won’t count toward your $5 total as Valve is adamant that it wants your money directly. If this works at stopping spam and phishing attempts on the platform then that’s great, but many users are viewing this move as a worrying precedent from the company.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
All I know is,

Gta 5 installed unpacked and intstalled itself, I was playing immediately after on launch day while almost everyone who went the non steam route had issues left and right. Many of them couldn't play at all
Who cares?!  I don't do any of the listed restricted crap in the first place.  As long as you can install and activate and run your games who gives a fuck?!

There is absolutely nothing here that will kill disc sales (how you came up with that wild claim is totally and utterly beyond me).
  • Sending friend invites
  • Opening group chat
  • Voting on Greenlight, Steam Reviews and Workshop items
  • Participating in the Steam Market
  • Posting frequently in the Steam Discussions
  • Gaining Steam Profile Levels (Locked to level 0) and Trading Cards
  • Submitting content on the Steam Workshop
  • Posting in an item's Steam Workshop Discussions
  • Accessing the Steam Web API
  • Using browser and mobile chat
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
Actually, it will kill any disc sales of any games on disc that require Steam activation.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_arti...-IAGK-7663#
Quote:You will need to spend at least $5.00 USD within the Steam store.

Some examples of purchases that grant access to these features are:
  • Adding the equivalent of $5 USD or more to your Steam Wallet
  • Purchasing game(s) that are equal to $5 USD or more from the Steam store
  • Adding a Steam Wallet card to your Steam account
  • Purchasing a Steam gift that is equal to $5 USD or more from the Steam store (Receiving a Steam gift from a friend doesn't count)
Quote:The below actions will not remove limited user restrictions:
  • Activating a retail game on Steam
  • Playing free demos
  • Adding a non-Steam game as a shortcut
  • Adding/playing promotional trials like Free Weekends
  • Free to Play games (Examples: Alien Swarm, free versions of Portal and Team Fortress 2)
  • Activating promotional CD Keys from hardware or graphic card manufacturers
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
No it fucking well will not!

You can still install from disc and you can still activate and play.

You will be restricted (in terms of frilly extra features) but who the fuck cares about their list of restrictions anyway?! I've never used one of them, ever!

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
All you have to do is spend 5$ on steam. One time, that is it.

Do you realize the amount of fake and bogus accounts that have popped up in the last year. I am tired of getting harassed by these......just imagine spam bots PMing you for friend request over and over.

Most anyone who uses steam for real has already spent 5$ with them. And anyone who hasnt, well surely there will be something they can find on steam worth at least 5 bucks.

I am totally digital these days. I completely avoid boxed games these days. I am telling you, no disc and cloud saves are really really great. I am never looking back
(04-21-2015, 04:29 AM)ocre Wrote: All you have to do is spend 5$ on steam.  One time, that is it.

Do you realize the amount of fake and bogus accounts that have popped up in the last year.  I am tired of getting harassed by these......just imagine spam bots PMing you for friend request over and over.  

Most anyone who uses steam for real has already spent 5$ with them.  And anyone who hasnt, well surely there will be something they can find on steam worth at least 5 bucks.  

I am totally digital these days. I completely avoid boxed games these days.  I am telling you, no disc and cloud saves are really really great.  I am never looking back
I don't have an issue with spending $5 to get a full account. My issue is with the exclusion of retail Steam-activated games from activating a full account. This could be a slippery slope, and I sure hope it doesn't end in Steam becoming a subscription service, because that would violate the ideal of PC gaming being more free than console gaming. Of course, the Valve dick suckers would be brainwashed by Steam sales, and would still praise Valve.
I would be extremely pissed at any hint of a subscription or reoccurring fees. Honestly, it seems like a legitimate idea because fake steam accounts have become a real issue lately. Spam accounts are impossible to prevent but this could/will be a powerful weapon against that.

The issue is so real, there really doesn't need to be another motive behind this. I don't see the need to make one up.
You can try prising my physical media out of my cold, dead hands.

The only thing I wish for is that PC's would have better embraced blu-ray drives so most releases could come on just one disc instead of several.

Yeah.........

GTA 5 retail edition was only 7 DVDs to install. In a couple more years you can expect game boxes to be something like 20 DVD installs.

Have fun with that!!!!!
Most PC's don't even come with a DVD drive anymore so physical distribution is a thing of the past.
(04-22-2015, 05:36 AM)dmcowen674 Wrote: Most PC's don't even come with a DVD drive anymore so physical distribution is a thing of the past.
83% of respondents to TechReport's 2014 Hardware Survey said they have an optical drive, click on "view results": http://techreport.com/news/27055/the-tr-...desktop-pc
They can be added very cheaply as a USB addon. I personally don't bother building optical drives into the case any more, just share a portable around the machines as and where it is needed.

(04-22-2015, 05:27 AM)ocre Wrote: Yeah.........

GTA 5 retail edition was only 7 DVDs to install.   In a couple more years you can expect game boxes to be something like 20 DVD installs.  

Have fun with that!!!!!

You make it sound like such a hassle when it really isn't. Though as I said it would be nice if Blu-Ray was a media option.

(04-22-2015, 08:22 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote:
(04-22-2015, 05:36 AM)dmcowen674 Wrote: Most PC's don't even come with a DVD drive anymore so physical distribution is a thing of the past.
83% of respondents to TechReport's 2014 Hardware Survey said they have an optical drive, click on "view results": http://techreport.com/news/27055/the-tr-...desktop-pc

What did they do survey every Grandma they could find that hasn't bought a new PC in 10 years?

I haven't seen a drive in a machine for the last 5 years nor do they have a portable handy.

Do you get out of the house?