Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pregnant fast food worker robbed at gunpoint, told to repay stolen cash or be fired
4-22-2015

Pregnant fast food worker robbed at gunpoint, told to repay stolen cash or be fired

Marissa Holcomb was hard at work at a Popeye's in Texas. She was in the midst of one of the busiest shifts of the week when a gunman with a stocking cap entered the store, jumped over the counter and robbed the clerk at gunpoint. Unable to open the safes, she opened the registers and the thief made of with roughly $400.

Marissa claimed that after the robbery, one of her managers gave her a choice to either pay the money back or get fired.

The Popeyes franchise owner, Z&H Foods Inc., wouldn't talk to us on camera. However, a spokesperson in their human resources department explained that Marissa was fired because she broke policy by leaving too much money in the register and this wasn't her first offense.
This is wrong on so many levels.

What is too much money in the register, a $1?

She supposed to stop, send everyone out of the store to empty the registers in the middle of the dinner shift?

What is with this crap of having to pay the money that was stolen?

Has to be illegal.

This is just more of the war on the working poor by the 1%ers.
Tell her if she dont like it, get a lawyer!!!!!!

oh yeah, she cant afford one.

hahaha
(04-23-2015, 12:54 AM)dmcowen674 Wrote: This is wrong on so many levels.

What is too much money in the register, a $1?

She supposed to stop, send everyone out of the store to empty the registers in the middle of the dinner shift?

What is with this crap of having to pay the money that was stolen?

Has to be illegal.

This is just more of the war on the working poor by the 1%ers.

I think a lot of places have policy that says the workers are supposed to take money out of the registers as it builds up to lower the risk they will be robbed.

Her story doesn't fly, theirs does.
(04-23-2015, 04:52 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: I think a lot of places have policy that says the workers are supposed to take money out of the registers as it builds up to lower the risk they will be robbed.

Did you watch the video?
Thumbs Down 
(04-23-2015, 04:52 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: I think a lot of places have policy that says the workers are supposed to take money out of the registers as it builds up to lower the risk they will be robbed.

How the hell does a robber know the amount of cash in the register? X-ray vision?
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
(04-23-2015, 05:52 AM)dmcowen674 Wrote:

Did you watch the video?

What I mean is her tale that she could have kept her job if she paid them back doesn't fly.

Popeyes is a national chain, they'll have a whole set of procedures to fire someone and minimize unemployment and lawsuits.

I think it's pretty crappy of them to use this as "last straw" to fire this woman, but we also don't know the story. Some people really take advantage of employers, if she was one, they were probably just glad to get the final warning and be able to axe her without fear of repercussions.
I hope the case goes to court and the franchisee who fired her gets bankrupted by court costs and penalties.

If the diner was busy and the worker had no time to clear the till then management should have had another worker clear the till for the worker or done it themselves.

Ironic that it happened in Texas.... Conservative heartland.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(04-23-2015, 08:44 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: What I mean is her tale that she could have kept her job if she paid them back doesn't fly.

Popeyes is a national chain, they'll have a whole set of procedures to fire someone and minimize unemployment and lawsuits.

I think it's pretty crappy of them to use this as "last straw" to fire this woman, but we also don't know the story. Some people really take advantage of employers, if she was one, they were probably just glad to get the final warning and be able to axe her without fear of repercussions.

Several articles on this state that many Companies have the employee pay for the stolen money:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/natio.../26173521/

Z&H Foods isn't the only company with this type of policy, according to KHOU-TV research. Other companies also have rules about the amount of money allowed to accumulate in a cash register and how much an employee is liable for when a shortage occurs.
Corporate has chimed in:

Popeyes' corporate office in Georgia initially refused to comment, deferring to the local franchise.

However, by Thursday afternoon the chief executive of Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen weighed in.

"We recently became aware of a story in Houston involving a Popeyes restaurant and employee," CEO Cheryl Bachelder said in a statement. "We have spoken to the local franchise owner of the restaurant, and he has taken immediate action to reach out to the employee to apologize and rectify the situation.
4-23-2015

Popeyes Offers Pregnant Employee Her Job Back Post Robbery

Holcomb has been offered her previous position back, as well as $2,000 in back pay.

Popeyes corporate office released a statement to KHOU that read in part, "We have spoken to the local franchise owner of the restaurant, and he has taken immediate action to reach out to the employee to apologize and rectify the situation."

Holcomb apparently hasn't decided yet whether or not to take the offer, telling KHOU, "I don't want to go back to a business where I'm treated the same and I just get pushed back out if something else happened."
Latest update: She is suing for $5.5 Million

4-30-2015

Texas Popeyes manager fired after robbery seeks $5.5 million

A pregnant Texas woman fired from her job managing a Houston-area Popeyes restaurant for not returning money taken in a robbery in which she was held at gunpoint is seeking $5.5 million in compensation from her employers, her lawyer said on Thursday.

Marissa Holcomb has given Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen and franchise owner Z&H Foods Inc 30 days to respond or face a lawsuit for her suffering, according to the letter sent this week by her lawyer, Marc Bozeman.

"The idea that Popeyes demand that she reimburse the restaurant for money that was stolen, through no fault of her own, is obscene," the letter said.