Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STEAM ALLOWS MONETIZING OF MODS
Exclamation 
http://techreport.com/news/28165/modders...m-workshop
THIS IS BULLSHIT. NOW DEVS HAVE EVERY INCENTIVE TO CHARGE FOR MODS SINCE THEY CAN GET 75% OF THE PROCEEDS. THIS IS MORE CONSOLEIZATION OF THE PC. THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN STEAM IS A MONOPOLY. ALL OF THE PEOPLE COMPLAINING WILL NOT VOTE WITH THEIR WALLETS, AND NOTHING WILL CHANGE.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
I won't pay for mods

What a bag of dicks
https://www.change.org/p/valve-remove-th...m-workshop

I think Bethesda was behind this. Skyrim is one of the most modded game of all times. If you want to know how things came to be, follow the money. 75% to Bethesda and 25% to the guy(s) who spent months of their life creating and coding the mod.

I am not saying that valve did nothing here. I cannot believe they would even think of such a terrible act. The fact that they are actually trying this, it really rubs me the wrong way. But i feel like there were thousands of huge mods for valves own games, so this starting with skyrim just points a huge arrow for me. Bethesda!!!!!

See, there is one big issue here. Many mods are created with parts of other mods. It is a huge cluster f^*k

I dont even waste my time on 99% of steam mods. But my son, he loves them. He loves the workshop. And that is enough foe me to really get ticked off
I understand what you're saying when you say Bethesda is likely behind this. It makes sense given all the mods for Skyrim. But I cannot help but suspect that money-grubbing Gaben has something to do with this as well. This is the person who swore in 2007 he'd never develop a game for the PS3, then in 2010 when the PS3 was printing money, went full money-grubbing hypocrite a la George Lucas and announced Portal 2 for the PS3.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
It's not as if the nexus doesn't exist. That's where I've always gotten my Skyrim mods from, no arsing around with the workshop and mods auto-updating on you or any of the other bull.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
The final piece of the puzzle.

Skyrim, a game that is ages and ages old, its free play this weekend on steam. You can download and play it for free just in time to check out all these paid mods Bethesda thinks they will make a killing with.

gstandford,
Nexus is great and they have already spoken up about this. They dont agree with this at all. But there are huge problems with steam doing this. And if they do gain traction, it will spill over and spread to all the 4 corners.

I dont even care about mods for me. I barely have time to play games myself, much less beta test mods. But my son, which is probably like tens of millions of others, that is PC gaming for him. He doesnt play skyrim the game, he plays with all the skyrim mods through the workshop. I mean, most of that stuff is crap that only kids would enjoy. Stuff like captain america and freakn easter bunny costumes. He absolutely loves the workshop and it is a giant playground for him.
He mostly plays workshop games: gmod, L4D2, skyrm, etc

And that is the thing, I even read on the forum that you have to have your credit card setup just to download the free mods. If it is true then it is must be only for skyrim, (which i totally uninstalled after i heard about this crap). I tried the other games and they didnt ask for credit card info for workshop mods.

If skyrim really requires a credit card for anything on the workshop, even the free stuff, i see it as a huge scam attempt. The forum post i read said it requires a credit card setup even if you have money in your steam wallet. This is seriously effed up. Kids going wild with your credit card tab racking up. And with only a 24 hour return policy, you are screwed.

I have kids and know how they are. You dont leave credit card info on any account. Not their tablets, not steam, not even my phones.
Surely maybe when they get older, but my son racked up 550$ on TF 2 micro transactions on my debit when he just turned 6 and i didnt even notice for 2 months. He was buying 99$ packs and 19.99$ crap, hundreds of 1-5$ stuff. It was crazy. The 9yr old neighbors kid was over those days as well. 2 days they racked up on TF2 purchases and i didnt notice for 8 weeks when i just happened to look over an out of date bank statement (which i thought was current at the time, lol)

Fast forward 6 months later and my daughter spend $400 on my wife's phone. She was buying 99$ token packages for some crappy crush saga or something game.
Anyway, my wife caught that one the same day when she had 10billion coins and google refunded it no problem.
Sounds like a load 'n go credit card that you have to deposit funds into would be the way to go.

and if the author makes the mod free the publisher gets no money. The credit card becomes just another account check.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(04-25-2015, 10:22 PM)ocre Wrote: And that is the thing, I even read on the forum that you have to have your credit card setup just to download the free mods.  If it is true then it is must be only for skyrim, (which i totally uninstalled after i heard about this crap).  I tried the other games and they didnt ask for credit card info for workshop mods.  

If skyrim really requires a credit card for anything on the workshop, even the free stuff, i see it as a huge scam attempt.  The forum post i read said it requires a credit card setup even if you have money in your steam wallet.  This is seriously effed up.   Kids going wild with your credit card tab racking up.  And with only a 24 hour return policy, you are screwed.
Talk about inconvenient.
Quote:I have kids and know how they are.  You dont leave credit card info on any account.  Not their tablets, not steam, not even my phones.  
Surely maybe when they get older, but my son racked up 550$ on TF 2 micro transactions on my debit when he just turned 6 and i didnt even notice for 2 months.  He was buying 99$ packs and 19.99$ crap, hundreds of 1-5$ stuff.  It was crazy.  The 9yr old neighbors kid was over those days as well.  2 days they racked up on TF2 purchases and i didnt notice for 8 weeks when i just happened to look over an out of date bank statement (which i thought was current at the time, lol)

Fast forward 6 months later and my daughter spend $400 on my wife's phone.  She was buying 99$ token packages for some crappy crush saga or something game.  
Anyway, my wife caught that one the same day when she had 10billion coins and google refunded it no problem.
That's insane. That's exactly what I was talking about when I wrote about the DLC double standard. People whine about "pay $5 for unlimited lives" or EA's "pay $X to get weapons unlocked in Battlefield, we'll occasionally put the unlocks on sale for free", but let themselves be ripped off for hundreds of dollars for mere cosmetics in Hat Fortress 2, etc.
People are dumb enough to let themselves be charged for fluff and developers are only too happy to fleece them just like any other salesman. Just like they get conned into upsized junk food meals, take out 3rd party warranties, extra unnecessary insurance, get talked into optional extras on purchases etc.

Sheep will be sheep, but not everyone is a sheep.

This is the result of monetizing mods:
[Image: y8ocFFr.png]
Edit: Gaben is totally missing the point: https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments...m/?sort=qa
Edit 2: Reports are that Valve takes 30% of money from mods, devs take 45%. This is even worse than I thought. This will open the door for massive embezzlement. Don't believe me? Here's how they'll do it. Employee at game developer steals DLC that's been cancelled and releases it as a mod, while disguised as a modder. They get 25%, Valve gets 30%, the developer gets robbed of 25%.
hAHAHA
Plot thickens................I mean, blew up in their face!!!!

http://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWor...5253244218

This all blew up super big. We are talking massively. The petition had 133,000 protest signed in 2 days.
Site after site covering this. steam forums and commnities completely wrecked. it was a huge mess.

but this time we had victory...We win!!!!
Yay, the sanctity of mods is secure again! Free mods are a fundamental part of PC gaming.
Valve yanks new mod-sales feature from Steam after only four days

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/04/27...four-days/

Quote:Only four days after Valve Software launched a new paid-mods service on digital gaming storefront Steam, the company officially changed course on Monday and removed pricing from its Steam Workshop pages, all while admitting "it's clear we didn't understand exactly what we were doing."

A Monday blog post at the Steam Community site confirmed the rollback and stated that anyone who paid for a mod in the Steam Workshop storefront would receive a full refund for their purchase.

Quote:"Stepping into an established, years old modding community in Skyrim was probably not the right place to start iterating," the blog post stated. "We think this made us miss the mark pretty badly, even though we believe there's a useful feature somewhere here."