Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ouya Is Up For Sale
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/204480...the-double
Quote:A “confidential” memo from Ouya CEO Julie Uhrman has leaked to Fortune explaining how dire the situation really is for the company that Kickstarter built. It seems that the investors want their money, and they want it now. “Given our debtholder’s timeline,” Uhrman writes, “the process will be quick.” In fact, she wants interested buyers lined up by the end of this month. If all of this is true, we should expect to see major details surface in the coming weeks.
While there was loads of hype surrounding the $8.6 million Kickstarter campaign, our very own Joel Hruska referred to the project as “doomed” before the funding was even completed. Since then, the console company has raised well over $25 million in addition to the initial Kickstarter money. Unfortunately for Uhrman and her team, those debts need to be paid back now. Unless there is some kind of miracle, this is the end of the road for the Ouya.

While some buyers might be interested in grabbing the team and core tech, what value does the Ouya brand name bring to anything? The stink of failure is strong, and wise companies shouldn’t want anything to do with the moniker. Amazon is investing heavily in its Android-based set-top box, and rumor has it that Apple is readying a brand new Apple TV with a third-party SDK. Some underpowered off-brand Android microconsole can’t compete at that level — let alone compete against the Xbox One and PS4.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
Android gaming will continue on. Not sure where it will end up, but it surely is not stopping with the ouya
Razer has bought Ouya: http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/208242...maker-ouya
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
Android gaming outside of phones and tablets appears to be a tough sell.

I doubt Shield is profitable for NVIDIA, if they can't make it fly, how can little companies like Ouya hope to?
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/razer-h...29706.html
Good guy Razer is honoring a developer rebate that they had no obligation to honor. Razer has a history of being the good guy. Remember when they honored the steep discounts on their products that were the result of a glitch in their online store?
(06-16-2015, 03:05 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: Android gaming outside of phones and tablets appears to be a tough sell.

I doubt Shield is profitable for NVIDIA, if they can't make it fly, how can little companies like Ouya hope to?

and this is why nvidia was foolish to not attempt to get their hardware into at least one of the current gen of consoles....
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(07-30-2015, 07:01 AM)gstanford Wrote:
(06-16-2015, 03:05 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: Android gaming outside of phones and tablets appears to be a tough sell.

and this is why nvidia was foolish to not attempt to get their hardware into at least one of the current gen of consoles....

Why? So they could be going broke like AMD?
Having their hardware in a console won't cause them to go broke. It won't cause AMD to go broke either. It may not add a lot to the bottom line but it increases marketshare outside of the PC space (which nvidia doesn't have much of with Shield) and it increases developer mindshare also.

Personally I think nvidia needs to be careful going forward. I'd say they are in a position analogous to Creative around the time of the SoundBlaster AWE 32. Integrated graphics are rapidly improving and soon there may be no viable add-in 3d consumer gaming card market outside of enthusiasts.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(07-30-2015, 08:25 AM)gstanford Wrote: Having their hardware in a console won't cause them to go broke.  It won't cause AMD to go broke either.  It may not add a lot to the bottom line but it increases marketshare outside of the PC space (which nvidia doesn't have much of with Shield) and it increases developer mindshare also.

Personally I think nvidia needs to be careful going forward.  I'd say they are in a position analogous to Creative around the time of the SoundBlaster AWE 32.  Integrated graphics are rapidly improving and soon there may be no viable add-in 3d consumer gaming card market outside of enthusiasts.

Yes, and look how AMD fanboys said "NVIDIA is doomxorz because AMD is in the consoles and all the games will be coded for AMD now!".

Yet here we are with NVIDIA at about 80% of the discrete market share, waiting to mop up the scraps of AMD's demise.

Always cracks me up when guys armchair quarterback NVIDIA.

Hello?

NVIDIA is more successful than you or I will ever be. Know why?

The people that work there are smarter than us. Not all of them, but enough that they are last man standing in a pretty cut throat business.

Newsflash: NVIDIA doesn't need to imitate AMDs failing business model.
Before a fall comes pride.

I've been around long enough to see many a tech company fail.

Not that I think nvidia will totally fail, just be rendered irrelevant outside of professional and hardcore enthusiast markets.

The world has gone mobile tech. Laptops, tablets and consoles using CPU cores targeted at the mobile market are what rule now, and most consumers are loving it. Only a minority of hardcore enthusiasts left and they are getting forced into purchasing more and more expensive crap as time goes on.

(07-30-2015, 07:01 AM)gstanford Wrote:

Nvidia themselves said that the margins are not worth it.  I think they'd prefer to sell whatever they could produce, at a more healthy margin than what the el-cheapo console market could provide, thanks to AMD's dirt-cheap alternative.  

Ouya doesn't have much experience like Nvidia does.  Nvidia has had years and years of experience working very closely with game devs not just for the PC but for the consoles as well (software PhysX on Xbox360, etc..).  

How hard would it be for Nvidia to just create an Android 4K gaming console with relatively high-end graphics, like back when Xbox360 came out with cutting edge graphics that rivaled whatever the PC had to offer?  A full-fledged Android experience like the SHIELD tablets, such a vast library of tens of thousands of Android games already available, plus several AAA games ported to Nvidia's Android 4K console - what's not to like?  Certainly, most developers would absolutely love to port their blockbuster games that were already ported to the PC.  It's like devs porting some games to Apple's MacOS, or even Linux - such niche markets.  With enough marketing and attention, there's no doubt console gamers would love to see some real 4K content from their new UHDTV's for once.  Millions are hungering for any 4K content at all, with 4K bluray content still so disappointingly limited. 

Rumors are pointing to Nintendo launching their next console on the Android platform, perhaps by next year.  However, I greatly dislike Nintendo now.  Their ecosystem is way too limited, and too controlled, plus all we are seeing from Nintendo are re-hashes of the same basic games.  Mario Kart 8 is basically Mario Kart 1,2,3,4,5,6, or 7 remastered.  If Nintendo isn't really going for 4K along with the powerful hardware needed for PS4-quality graphics at 4x the resolution, then now is Nvidia's real chance at taking the world by storm.
Ok with science that the big bang theory requires that fundamental scientific laws do not exist for the first few minutes, but not ok for the creator to defy these laws...  Rolleyes
4K is over ambitious for a console when highend PC's have trouble with it and modern games at 1080p max out graphics card performance.

(07-30-2015, 11:52 AM)gstanford Wrote: 4K is over ambitious for a console when highend PC's have trouble with it and modern games at 1080p max out graphics card performance.
Just a bit of close-to-metal optimization, avoiding insane features like HairWorks, and 4K should be do-able with 4x the GPU power of PS4.  On 16nm FINFET, a 130W GPU could probably do it, with NVLINK, etc.   Higher-clocked Denver cores (8 of them) would be faster than the 1.6GHz Jaguar anyway.
Ok with science that the big bang theory requires that fundamental scientific laws do not exist for the first few minutes, but not ok for the creator to defy these laws...  Rolleyes
I really want to find a way to send JHH a message about this.  The pitch would need a lot of refining with some more details -hopefully he didn't agree with Nintendo to start producing chips for their future console..   Nintendo is the next Sega no matter how hard Nintendo tries - too bad Nintendo didn't buy Oculus Rift before Facebook did, unless Nintendo has been working hard on Virtual Boy 2 ever since.
(07-30-2015, 12:00 PM)BoFox Wrote: I really want to find a way to send JHH a message about this.  The pitch would need a lot of refining with some more details -hopefully he didn't agree with Nintendo to start producing chips for their future console..   Nintendo is the next Sega no matter how hard Nintendo tries - too bad Nintendo didn't buy Oculus Rift before Facebook did, unless Nintendo has been working hard on Virtual Boy 2 ever since.
You'll probably have to wait for a AMA with Jen-Hsun Huang, but contacting Nvidia in the meantime wouldn't hurt: http://www.nvidia.com/page/contact_information.html
Thanks, SC!  Seriously, if I were JHH, this is what I would do.  Get all serious gamers to realize that my console platform is offering the same thing as both PS4 and XBONE, but with at least 4x times the GPU power, so that the same games could be displayed at 4K resolution.  Not just that but a well-rounded Android experience with 30,000+ games already in the library.  

For example, I played Jetpack Joyride on my PS3 (Over 50,000 ratings, averaging 5 stars: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/g...KJOYRIDE00 ).  While it was fun and addictive, it was already outdated compared to the Android version that was constantly updated with new things added to the game.  So I was pissed for wasting my time with the inferior PS3 version that got boring in the end.

If basically the same games like Destiny could be enjoyed at 4K for say, just $100 more, why would anybody bother with PS4/XBONE any longer, except for the rare exclusives like Halo 5 and Uncharted 4?  XBONE doesn't have any real Kinect games except for Dance Central, and what else does the PS4 really have going for it? 

Plus if Nvidia promises backwards-compatibility and upgradeability with SoC/Pascal modules (along with more HBM RAM), it'd be a console enthusiast's wet dream come true.  Upgraded hardware could allow for certain additional features like 4x AA compared to 2x AA, or higher frame rate.  If Nvidia's "Geforce Experience" feature is already a success for such a complicated PC platform, NV shouldn't have any problem with optimizing for the 4K Android games in the future with upgraded hardware.